2019-2020 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Kansas

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received secondaries yet? Submitted my EDP app back in mid June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not EDP but I haven't got anything

Reactions: 1 user
ED applicant here, completed on 6/7. I called last Wednesday and they told me that secondary prompts are going to remain the same as last year and that secondary applications will start to be sent out this week

Just got the secondary email! Regular decision.

Early decision here, just got the secondary!

was anybody able to successfully complete payment?

Can't seem to find the payment button for oos applicants.

Edit: Emailed them and it's working now

Last edited:
Any current med students at KU willing to chime in? I have a few questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email after finalizing your app? I just submitted my secondary, but don't see anything in regard to status... just want to make sure I actually submit it

Did you guys get an email after finalizing your app? I just submitted my secondary, but don't see anything in regard to status... just want to make sure I actually submit it
It takes a few days. I submitted mine on a Friday afternoon and got an email on Monday.

If anyone who is familiar with the different campuses can share a bit about them, I'd appreciate it! I'm having trouble finding more information about what makes each one unique. Thanks!

Any current med students at KU willing to chime in? I have a few questions.
I'm not sure how much help I can be as of yet, but I am a new M1 so fresh out of the app process - what questions do you have?

If anyone who is familiar with the different campuses can share a bit about them, I'd appreciate it! I'm having trouble finding more information about what makes each one unique. Thanks!

I will be attending the Wichita campus! Here's my understanding of the breakdown of your choices:

KC for 4 years is what you would consider the traditional experience from a large medical school. The largest portion of the class is here, there are multiple buildings, a dedicated teaching hospital,etc.

In Wichita, we have 1 main building (includes classrooms, support stuff, student spaces, a library, shared space with the pharmacy school, and a clinical skills lab etc) and will conduct some of our classes via IDL (basically webcasting connection from KC, although actually I see on our schedule some of the lecturers are noted at wichita or salina on various days). There are 28 of us who will do Wichita all 4 years. We rotate through 4 major hospitals - Via Christi St Francis and St Joe (Ascension Health now), Wesley, and the VA. We also have some community practice possibilities for rotation (like in clinics etc). Wichita campus slant is towards community practice based medicine, although that doesn't mean that your interests etc are restricted or anything.

In Salina, 8 students work primarily with Smoky Hill (the local hospital) and I believe the slant there is towards rural medicine?

44 students will also do KC years 1/2 and Wichita years 3/4, so they'll join us during the summer immediately before year 3. Rotations between all campuses are largely the same. Some electives are a bit different - I believe you can see our choices online if you look at the academic catalog for the school of medicine.

Most people want to go to KC. If you pick another option, conventional wisdom is that you will generally get that other option.

I'm not sure how much help I can be as of yet, but I am a new M1 so fresh out of the app process - what questions do you have?

I will be attending the Wichita campus! Here's my understanding of the breakdown of your choices:

KC for 4 years is what you would consider the traditional experience from a large medical school. The largest portion of the class is here, there are multiple buildings, a dedicated teaching hospital,etc.

In Wichita, we have 1 main building (includes classrooms, support stuff, student spaces, a library, shared space with the pharmacy school, and a clinical skills lab etc) and will conduct some of our classes via IDL (basically webcasting connection from KC, although actually I see on our schedule some of the lecturers are noted at wichita or salina on various days). There are 28 of us who will do Wichita all 4 years. We rotate through 4 major hospitals - Via Christi St Francis and St Joe (Ascension Health now), Wesley, and the VA. We also have some community practice possibilities for rotation (like in clinics etc). Wichita campus slant is towards community practice based medicine, although that doesn't mean that your interests etc are restricted or anything.

In Salina, 8 students work primarily with Smoky Hill (the local hospital) and I believe the slant there is towards rural medicine?

44 students will also do KC years 1/2 and Wichita years 3/4, so they'll join us during the summer immediately before year 3. Rotations between all campuses are largely the same. Some electives are a bit different - I believe you can see our choices online if you look at the academic catalog for the school of medicine.

Most people want to go to KC. If you pick another option, conventional wisdom is that you will generally get that other option.

Thank you so much for this! How do they decide who goes where? I have immediate family in KC and prefer to live with them. I wrote about it in my explanation for wanting KC.

Okay so I got the email saying they received my secondary app... but I see no status on the portal as to whether I'm complete or not.

Okay so I got the email saying they received my secondary app... but I see no status on the portal as to whether I'm complete or not.
They're portal is super strange because it still allows you to edit fields but if you go to the bottom of the finalize page, it should say "The application has been finalized."

Also, this wasn't there until today (submitted 7/19, confirmation email 7/22) but the home page now has a table at the bottom listing my rec letters, fee, and app.

Are the academics traditional, with 2 years of classes and 2 years of rotations?

Did anyone receive a complete email? I checked last years thread and didn't see anything about that. I'm not talking about the received email.

Did anyone receive a complete email? I checked last years thread and didn't see anything about that. I'm not talking about the received email.
No, don’t worry about it. If you got the email about secondaries received and all of your letters are in then you’re fine.

Reactions: 1 users
My father is retired. What do I put under his occupation? Can't seem to find that as an option...

My father is retired. What do I put under his occupation? Can't seem to find that as an option...
I'm pretty sure you are supposed to put his occupation before his retirement. It is my understanding that they (like AMCAS) use your parents' occupations (current or past) to determine your socioeconomic status.

Does anyone know much about the MD/MPH program? Like how many they accept into that track per year? I know you have to be accepted into the MD program before you can even apply to MD/MPH.

Thank you so much for this! How do they decide who goes where? I have immediate family in KC and prefer to live with them. I wrote about it in my explanation for wanting KC.
Its my understanding that they try to put people at their first choice as best as possible. I have a feeling (though no confirmation, just my personal speculation) it goes based on when you are accepted; i.e., the higher you rank after interview the more likely. People on the waitlist are typically not at their first choice. My first choice was actually not KC, and I was accepted in the march group so I am not sure how those people fared on first choices. If someone backs out of an acceptance at your first choice and you are not on that campus but want to be, you are given the option to move. They maintain a waitlist for people who want seats for each campus of accepted students(if necessary, but I bet it is just for KC). If you dont get your first choice, they move to second, etc. Pretty sure most people got first or second choice.

Are the academics traditional, with 2 years of classes and 2 years of rotations?

Yes, years 1 and 2 we are learning the basic sciences but the curriculum changed fairly recently (I believe we are the third class to go through ACE, the name of the changed stuff). We have a mix of lecture, flipped classroom, small group stuff, case study based, problem based learning, clinical skills labs, standardized patients etc. Class actually starts monday and that afternoon we have a standardized patient, same thing Tuesday, so they're throwing us right into patient interaction (kind of). You can get an idea of what ACE is here: ACE Curriculum, University of Kansas School of Medicine

After each major block we get a week called SER week (scholarship enrichment and remediation). If you didnt fail a test and thus need to retest (I think you have to fail it twice cause one remediation is done immediately the following monday), you basically pick many things from a list of experiences you would like to have which includes everything from shadowing docs to procedural stuff (if you have the skills/they'll let you etc), research, policy, and more. Each experience takes a set number of students and after we sign up the system essentially assigns us via a lottery type system to what you'll do during SER week.

From M1 on you have the opportunity to participate in jaydoc/bulldoc/whatever the one at Salina is called (sorry Salina I forgot the name! <3) and apparently, at least at Wichita, after following upperclassmen around for 6 months M1's can even start seeing patients to help with the clinic, obviously depending on your comfort level with what you've learned so far.

Reactions: 2 users
My portal changed to add "file complete" under type of material. So they don't send emails about being complete, you have to check your portal. So excited!

Anybody else hear back for an interview through the early decision program yet? we are suppose to hear back by the first week of Sep but im sitting on pins and needles..

Anybody else hear back for an interview through the early decision program yet? we are suppose to hear back by the first week of Sep but im sitting on pins and needles..
Nothing yet here, I'm getting anxious about it too

Any word on stats/competitiveness for each campus?
Campus assignments are made after admission, I don't think stats play into assignments at all. I have heard from admissions people and current students that a majority of students that matriculate receive their number one choice, second at the worst

For the “what have you done to make your community a better place to live secondary,” is it asking about your non clinical volunteering?

For the “what have you done to make your community a better place to live secondary,” is it asking about your non clinical volunteering?
I don’t think necessarily! I talked about volunteering at a free clinic

people usually hear in the last week of august

Campus assignments are made after admission, I don't think stats play into assignments at all. I have heard from admissions people and current students that a majority of students that matriculate receive their number one choice, second at the worst

Yep - everyone goes into the same pool for admissions and campus assignments are made after admissions decisions. Class stats do not play into who goes where, and a stat breakdown of each campus is also not available; we were just given info on our class' overall stats.

II received about 3 hours ago!

I’ll be at the kc campus in 2 weeks. Excited to see you all.

Does anyone know if your interview group letter is related to some sort of rank? Or is it just arbitrary? Congrats to everyone who heard good news

EDP II group A! Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Group D! Looking forward to it. Good luck to all

Just for everyone's information, I got rejected but my friend was deferred to RD. Good luck to everyone else though!

• Wow
Just for everyone's information, I got rejected but my friend was deferred to RD. Good luck to everyone else though!
I didn’t know that someone could be rejected as an ED applicant. I thought that if you didn’t get an ED interview you automatically got put in the regular decision pool.

Does anyone know when RD interview invites typically get sent? I know the interviewing starts in October, so you’d think it would be soon...

Does anyone know when RD interview invites typically get sent? I know the interviewing starts in October, so you’d think it would be soon...

3 wks before interview per website

Do they ever send acceptance letters to RD applicants before March? I can’t seem to find anyone that has but they do seem to do rejections that way.

Edit: Nvm. Saw someone last year get accepted RD in late November.

Last edited:
They'll explain it at your interview day, but, FWIW, approximately 10% of interviewees per interview block are accepted after their interview (obviously after the committee reviews them), the bottom 33% of that interview block is rejected, and the rest are put on hold until march in a ranked order. Once interviews are complete, they go back to the rank list and start inviting until they fill then overfill by a bit (I think up to 230? actual class size is ~211 I believe) then activate the waitlist from wherever the cutoff was on the rank list there. The majority of acceptances are in march.