2019-2020 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody have tips on how to attack the prompt: "what does it mean to you to enter into a profession?" I am pre-writing rn and this prompt is giving me a lot of trouble.

Secondary received, OOS-ish MD/PhD Applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary prompt:

8.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (If you feel that you have not had any academic problems please state that) 1000 Characters

11.) Please explain what you have been doing during the 2019-2020 academic year. If you graduated/will graduate in 2019, what are your plans during this gap year? 1000 Characters

19.) Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. 1500 Characters

20.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. 1500 Characters

21.) Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession. 1500 Characters

22.) What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? 1500 Characters

Lots of yes/no questions about biographic information, whether you have been dismissed from any educational institutions or places of employment, disciplinary action, criminal offenses, whether you've done research before, whether you have met admin at recruiting fairs...etc. If you answer yes to these prompts, 1000 character description boxes open.

There's a table where you fill in the prereqs you have completed or when you have planned to complete them.
There's a table to fill in past employment including hours worked.
You'll also have to upload a photo of yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary prompt:

8.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (If you feel that you have not had any academic problems please state that) 1000 Characters

11.) Please explain what you have been doing during the 2019-2020 academic year. If you graduated/will graduate in 2019, what are your plans during this gap year? 1000 Characters

19.) Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. 1500 Characters

20.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. 1500 Characters

21.) Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession. 1500 Characters

22.) What does it mean to you to enter into a profession? 1500 Characters

Lots of yes/no questions about biographic information, whether you have been dismissed from any educational institutions or places of employment, disciplinary action, criminal offenses, whether you've done research before, whether you have met admin at recruiting fairs...etc. If you answer yes to these prompts, 1000 character description boxes open.

There's a table where you fill in the prereqs you have completed or when you have planned to complete them.
There's a table to fill in past employment including hours worked.
You'll also have to upload a photo of yourself.

Thanks!

Anyone else's character count box not work for question 21 (Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession.)?

is anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I was verified 5/31.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
+2, I'm OOS, curious if they screen
+3, I'm in state, verified 06/20, and LM>80 so I don't think they are doing a baseline stats screen. They're probably just sending them out in waves.

For the diversity prompt when they say “without limiting the discussion to your own identity” ...you still have to talk about your own identity though right? Do they just mean like, you also need to discuss how that identity relates to a larger community or something?

I contacted the admissions office regarding the payment problem and am waiting on the response.

For course requirements, we are only allowed to put one date. However I filled each of those requirements over the years. For example, organic chemistry/biochemistry (8 semester hours) --- I completed them over three semesters but there's only space for one date. How do you fill this part out?

Also having trouble with this. Any suggestions or advice?
Anybody have tips on how to attack the prompt: "what does it mean to you to enter into a profession?" I am pre-writing rn and this prompt is giving me a lot of trouble.

For course requirements, we are only allowed to put one date. However I filled each of those requirements over the years. For example, organic chemistry/biochemistry (8 semester hours) --- I completed them over three semesters but there's only space for one date. How do you fill this part out?
I just put the date I finished the last course

Reactions: 2 users
"Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college?"

Does this include the years after graduating and before expected matriculation to med school?

"Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college?"

Does this include the years after graduating and before expected matriculation to med school?

Any breaks other than the usual summer break and winter breaks. If you are taking a gap year or had a leave of absence for example.

I interpreted it as any gap years before med school as well since they explicitly say after college

Anyone having trouble with understanding what to do for this question? Am I supposed to describe what I will be doing during the 2019-2020 academic year as a current undergrad?

Anyone having trouble with understanding what to do for this question? Am I supposed to describe what I will be doing during the 2019-2020 academic year as a current undergrad?

I guess if youre an undergrad during 2019-2020, talk about the classes youre going to be taking and any ECs you will be participating in. If youre in a gap year, then talk about your plans for the gap year

How extensively should we answer the research question? Super confused
I talked about a brief summary of the research, responsibilities, any accomplishments (posters/pubs), and why the research was important to me / what I learned. Summed up everything in a paragraph.

Awesome. Thank you.
I talked about a brief summary of the research, responsibilities, any accomplishments (posters/pubs), and why the research was important to me / what I learned. Summed up everything in a paragraph.

Hi everyone! Reposting this,

Quick question coming from a reapplicant to Maryland, should I write new responses to all the secondary prompts if they end up being the same ones from last year?

Reapplicant here. I think in general that's what you should always do, for every school you reapply to. You can still use the same themes/ideas/anecdotes, if nothing better has occurred in the past year, but you ought to rewrite the essay itself (aka don't copy/paste your old one) just so it's different and you don't look lazy

Submitted; email of completion sort of... It's a little weird but I have all green checks and application is complete.

Submitted; email of completion sort of... It's a little weird but I have all green checks and application is complete.

When you submit the secondary, the confirmation email says they don't send complete emails. If your portal shows your application as complete, you should be good to go :)

When you submit the secondary, the confirmation email says they don't send complete emails. If your portal shows your application as complete, you should be good to go :)
Yeah I know I received that confirmation email I forgot what it was called lol

Is anyone having trouble paying the application fee? This popped up when I went to pay.

For the question: "Have you done independent research or study? (We are looking for research that you did outside of the course/classroom requirement) Please explain." (emphasis added) Does that exclude elective research courses? Or does "classroom requirement" here mean non-elective research courses only?

For the question: "Have you done independent research or study? (We are looking for research that you did outside of the course/classroom requirement) Please explain." (emphasis added) Does that exclude elective research courses? Or does "classroom requirement" here mean non-elective research courses only?
I think it means independent research outside of the "classroom setting" entirely. If you got university credit from independent research but it wasn't a class, I think it would count.

ugh, worked all day on the maryland application and I can't submit because the link to pay the fee isn't working ... :(

I'm still having issues paying. It keeps directing me back to the main app page

Can anyone explain how they approached their answer to the secondary question: "21) Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession." ?