2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Members don't see this ad.

Primary submitted. Hope to hear about a secondary. Also found it interesting that they have started using The Casper test...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you let them know that you are planning to take the CASPer? When is the ideal time to have the test taken by?

it says on their website that a 514 is considered competitive for OOS students, does anyone know if this is an actual cut off? ie I have a 513

it says on their website that a 514 is considered competitive for OOS students, does anyone know if this is an actual cut off? ie I have a 513

Hard to know for sure but I’m guessing most applicants are much higher than the cut-offs they list (for both IS and OOS). If you have something else going for you other than stats that they’re looking for it may be worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If 514 is considered competitive, I would guess that 514 is the average OOS accepted score. So a 513 should be relatively competitive as long as your GPA or ECs can give you a little boost.

Considering applying to UNC as an OOS with a LizzyM of 75, MCAT of 520. I have ties to NC and really love the area, which is my push to apply. What are all of your thoughts? Worth it to try?

Considering applying to UNC as an OOS with a LizzyM of 75, MCAT of 520. I have ties to NC and really love the area, which is my push to apply. What are all of your thoughts? Worth it to try?

I think it’s worth a try with that MCAT. Since you love the area, apply to Duke, too. The two schools aren’t very far away from each other.

IS, no secondary. Really looking forward to this one, love UNC as a medical school. Hopefully won't be dinged for being from a rival school :laugh:. When do secondaries typically start going out, anyone know?

IS, no secondary. Really looking forward to this one, love UNC as a medical school. Hopefully won't be dinged for being from a rival school :laugh:. When do secondaries typically start going out, anyone know?

Probably this week. According to last year’s thread people started getting them on July 10th.

Reactions: 3 users
person from admissions office said to have patience as they send them out. if they have sent any out, i dont think its many. but i dont think theyve sent any/many out.

Prompt 1: Describe a situation, or an experience, you’ve had when you were unsuccessful. Tell us what you learned from this experience.

Prompt 2: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

Prompt 3: What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine?

Prompt 4: UNC School of Medicine values diversity and inclusion across the institution. We believe that education and professional development are enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe how your background and/or experiences would contribute to the UNC SOM community?

all 1000 chars @PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 users
So to confirm, ONLY list my undergrad? Even tho the list of institutions includes high schools??

Is it bad to use the abbreviation "UNC" in your secondary answers? The character counts are so low that I feel like I need to, especially to the "What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine" prompt.

Is it bad to use the abbreviation "UNC" in your secondary answers? The character counts are so low that I feel like I need to, especially to the "What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine" prompt.

It's fine.

I was expecting it to come later, but secondary recieved and submitted today!

GPA should we put AMCAS defined, or institution defined? I have a 3.97 or so on AMCAS, but a 4.0 at my college?

Is anyone else having issues selected Yes/No on the reapplicant question?

Is anyone else having issues selected Yes/No on the reapplicant question?
It refers only to UNC SOM reapplicants, so it is pre-filled in for you. I am a reapplicant, and mine showed as yes. The only thing you can control is what program you applied to.

anyone who is OOS receive the secondary yet?

anyone who is OOS receive the secondary yet?
Yes; but I won't be completing it. This was my reach school anyway. Their stats for OOS are ridiculous (didn't have my MCAT when I sent primary in).

Yes; but I won't be completing it. This was my reach school anyway. Their stats for OOS are ridiculous (didn't have my MCAT when I sent primary in).

Definitely a reach school for me too.. I'm just going to go for it since one of my LOR is from a professor with an OCHEM PhD from here. Maybe just wishful thinking that it will help my chances:laugh:

Definitely a reach school for me too.. I'm just going to go for it since one of my LOR is from a professor with an OCHEM PhD from here. Maybe just wishful thinking that it will help my chances:laugh:
I am in the same boat :laugh:

Can you please let me know what it is ?

For those who submitted the secondary already (@MonsterSizedQuadriceps @ElloMellowYellow @EmbryonalCarcinoma), has your status on the homepage changed? After I submitted and paid it still said "awaiting submission". Logged out and then back in and now it says "awaiting materials"... I was hoping for something more definitive like "application submitted" (I would also settle for "you're awesome and we want you").

For those who submitted the secondary already (@MonsterSizedQuadriceps @ElloMellowYellow @EmbryonalCarcinoma), has your status on the homepage changed? After I submitted and paid it still said "awaiting submission". Logged out and then back in and now it says "awaiting materials"... I was hoping for something more definitive like "application submitted" (I would also settle for "you're awesome and we want you").

Last I checked it said “awaiting materials.”

my page says:
Awaiting Materials

Application Submitted

Payment Received: 68.00 USD

so maybe that means im good idk