2019-2020 North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of North Dakota

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1
Here are the prompts:

For Residency History please fill in as many as you need, for the remaining questions you will have 1600-character maximum for each numbered response.

1) Residency History: List each permanent residence starting with your place of birth
2) The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Given the purpose of the school, please explain how you do or will fulfill this mission.
3) Describe your experience with life in a rural and/or Native American community.
4) What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school this year?
5) What are your career plans in the event that you don’t ever get admitted to medical school?
6) If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal and institutional infractions, etc.).
7) Please see “Residency Preferences” on the UND SMHS Admissions website. Describe your ties to the state of North Dakota or how you qualify for the other residency groups described there.
8) Are you an enrolled member of a U.S. federally recognized tribe? If yes, please describe your connection to this or other Native American communities and indicate whether you agree to have your application forwarded to the Indians Into Medicine office. If no, you do not need to complete this question.
9) Are you currently enrolled in a grant-funded and/or degree-granting post-baccalaureate program? If so, what is your timeline for completion?

10) UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

@PapaGuava

Last edited:
Just submitted the secondary!

Does anyone know when they started inviting people for interviews last year? I'm OOS (MN) with strong family connections to ND so I hope I at least get an interview!

Just submitted the secondary!

Does anyone know when they started inviting people for interviews last year? I'm OOS (MN) with strong family connections to ND so I hope I at least get an interview!

II for the 2018-2019 cycle began in October.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone receive a complete email after submitting secondary?

Yes and no. You get an email saying your application was successfully transmitted and another separate email with your receipt of the secondary fee. So after you get both of those emails you can assume you're complete.

Yes and no. You get an email saying your application was successfully transmitted and another separate email with your receipt of the secondary fee. So after you get both of those emails you can assume you're complete.
Yea those are the ones I received too

Has anyone gotten a "complete" email? The PDF sent with the secondary invite has this ....

4. When our office has received your complete application (verified AMCAS
application and transcripts, MCAT score no older than three years, secondary
application and fee, and correct number of letters of recommendation), you
will receive an email confirming that your application is complete. Your
application must be complete by the deadline in order to be considered (this
deadline is firm). We cannot take responsibility for notifying applicants of
missing credentials. If you have any concerns about the completeness of your
application, please contact the Office.

All mine including Casper was in over a week ago, no complete email yet

Has anyone gotten a "complete" email? The PDF sent with the secondary invite has this ....

4. When our office has received your complete application (verified AMCAS
application and transcripts, MCAT score no older than three years, secondary
application and fee, and correct number of letters of recommendation), you
will receive an email confirming that your application is complete. Your
application must be complete by the deadline in order to be considered (this
deadline is firm). We cannot take responsibility for notifying applicants of
missing credentials. If you have any concerns about the completeness of your
application, please contact the Office.

All mine including Casper was in over a week ago, no complete email yet

I noted above that you get the two emails but you're right - the secondary says that and I know previous applicants who said they had received a complete email as well. I emailed the school to ask if I'm complete or not (I haven't gotten the email either). They responded saying I was complete even though I hadn't received that email.

Maybe they're just behind? Still kind of odd.

I noted above that you get the two emails but you're right - the secondary says that and I know previous applicants who said they had received a complete email as well. I emailed the school to ask if I'm complete or not (I haven't gotten the email either). They responded saying I was complete even though I hadn't received that email.

Maybe they're just behind? Still kind of odd.
I had to call them. They apparently haven't uploaded all my docs by they have it. And... I was told they do not send complete emails.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS with no ties but I'm native american. is it worth applying here?

I called a while back and asked. They said no complete emails are sent out and I was complete. You should be good if everything is in as usual!

I'm OOS with no ties but I'm native american. is it worth applying here?

I believe UND SMHS holds seven placements for Native American applicants as part of its INMED program. If you are from the Midwest and are dedicated to rural or tribal communities, they may be interested in you!

It's been very quiet around here...
Your post above says you're from MN. Do you know if they will be including MN residents in with the first round of interviews because of the " ND residency ties" portion? Or I'm wondering if that will be strictly ND applicants?

Your post above says you're from MN. Do you know if they will be including MN residents in with the first round of interviews because of the " ND residency ties" portion? Or I'm wondering if that will be strictly ND applicants?
I'm not sure! I have very close family ties to ND so I'm just hoping for an interview at some point! I was talking to a friend who applied last year (as an ND resident) and didn't get in. That person said they were really caught off guard by the good-cop/bad-cop format of the interview, so I'm curios to see what people's experiences are this year.

I'm not sure! I have very close family ties to ND so I'm just hoping for an interview at some point! I was talking to a friend who applied last year (as an ND resident) and didn't get in. That person said they were really caught off guard by the good-cop/bad-cop format of the interview, so I'm curios to see what people's experiences are this year.
Oh man, interesting! Well here's to fingers crossed that we hear some good news this cycle. Do you recall if it is open file or closed file interview?

Oh man, interesting! Well here's to fingers crossed that we hear some good news this cycle. Do you recall if it is open file or closed file interview?

It's open file. They will ask you questions about your app and reference it multiple times throughout the interview (reapplicant).

It's open file. They will ask you questions about your app and reference it multiple times throughout the interview (reapplicant).
Hey thanks for the info! Always nice to go in knowing what to expect.

FYI even though there is no mention of it being required on the Secondary Application Checklist (though it is listed on the website as a requirement), this school does require the CASPer. The last date you can take the CASPer for this school is October 23rd.

II this am. Complete 8/7.

• Love
Rejection just now. OOS with strong ties to ND. MCAT 511 and GPA 3.78. Guess they really want ND residents!

II on 10/16/19. IS. Strong ties. Fingers crossed.

When you sign up for an interview slot are you supposed to get an email confirmation? When will I know what room the interview is in?

No email confirmation, you just see it in your secondary app portal that your interview has been scheduled. You will know what room the interview is in when you get there. They hand you a folder with all the information including who your interviewers are.

Anyone interviewing at UND Nov 1 or 2 and wanna split a hotel room the night of Nov 1? Or a ride up from the Twin Cities? Or j chill the night of Nov 1?

Can anyone who interviewed yesterday or today describe their interview experience?
It was pretty chill. Most questions are largely based on your app, maybe one or two scenarios to test your judgement. Not really difficult.

Can anyone who interviewed yesterday or today describe their interview experience?

I second that it was pretty laid back. Unlike some other interviews I have attended, UNDSMHS's was an overall less structured day. Optional tours of the SIM center and school, no lunch, no informational sessions - just the interview really. I was in and out within 2 hours.

Did anyone ask about admissions decisions? Some years they did rolling admissions, some years they didn't. I think it's rolling, but I thought I might as well ask if anyone heard on interview day.

Did anyone ask about admissions decisions? Some years they did rolling admissions, some years they didn't. I think it's rolling, but I thought I might as well ask if anyone heard on interview day.

I’m not sure either, I’m thinking we should hear back the first week of December though

Before my interview started, one of the interviewers described the admission decision process. He said immediately after interviews that day all 3 of them go and meet with 9 other interviewers to advocate (or not) for their respective applicants. Essentially they vote. He stated they would do their best to get answers out before Christmas and mildly implied that they would roll the admission decisions out. Take that with a grain of salt though because it was stated as more of a general process rather than exact details and timelines.

Before my interview started, one of the interviewers described the admission decision process. He said immediately after interviews that day all 3 of them go and meet with 9 other interviewers to advocate (or not) for their respective applicants. Essentially they vote. He stated they would do their best to get answers out before Christmas and mildly implied that they would roll the admission decisions out. Take that with a grain of salt though because it was stated as more of a general process rather than exact details and timelines.
does that include OOS or no?

Hey all,

I’ve got an upcoming interview and I was wondering about a few logistical items. Has anyone had any difficulties getting to and from the school/hotel? Are Uber’s reasonable priced? I had to get a plane out at 1:30 following my 8:30 interview— this should be doable, right?

Hey all,

I’ve got an upcoming interview and I was wondering about a few logistical items. Has anyone had any difficulties getting to and from the school/hotel? Are Uber’s reasonable priced? I had to get a plane out at 1:30 following my 8:30 interview— this should be doable, right?
I don’t think that will be a problem. No traffic in grand forks whatsoever. The school is about 15-20 minutes from the airport. I think the Uber was around $15.

II today. OOS (Montana resident). Completed 07/10/2019.

For people that have been accepted, how were you notified? Just email or phone/mail as well?