2019-2020 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who interviewed already, were you given a piece of paper to jot down some talking points in the 2 minutes? Also do the interviewees have access to your whole application or only PS and ECs?
Do you mean during an MMI type interview? No, they don’t want you to write any notes or carry anything in the room with you. They want to see if you can think on your feet and organize your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates? Perhaps protecting yield (if they don't see you as a likely matriculant not sure how it all works exactly)

TCOM doesn’t do yield protection. Texas match takes care of that. Just FYI for anyone out there! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean during an MMI type interview? No, they don’t want you to write any notes or carry anything in the room with you. They want to see if you can think on your feet and organize your thoughts.
I know some schools allow you to write some talking points down during the 2 minutes so I was just wondering if TCOM did that. But it seems not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS w/ very close ties, submitted 5/23 and have not heard anything.

TCOM doesn’t do yield protection. Texas match takes care of that. Just FYI for anyone out there! :)
But I don't think they would give an II spot to someone they know would not attend

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates? Perhaps protecting yield (if they don't see you as a likely matriculant not sure how it all works exactly)
Kind of dumb how they don't even give me a chance to interview and explain why I would actually consider their program, but whatever :/

Kind of dumb how they don't even give me a chance to interview and explain why I would actually consider their program, but whatever :/

agreed but you never know if it was actually that. maybe they didn't love your essays or felt you were using them as a back up

or maybe you'll still get an interview. it is still august after all haha

Is there a character limit for the last question (the optional one with 3 prompts)

I'm have worked it down to under 2500 but since the first prompt was 2000, I was wondering if I should keep it at that instead.

has anyone that received an interview gotten an email with interview details? they said they would send it 5 business days after the interview invite and it has been longer

has anyone that received an interview gotten an email with interview details? they said they would send it 5 business days after the interview invite and it has been longer
Yes I received mine in about 3 business days after my invite confirmation. I would email the contact on the initial interview sign up.

Just received a II!!! This is my first choice, very excited! Anyone know how many they accept from the interviews?

Just received a II!!! This is my first choice, very excited! Anyone know how many they accept from the interviews?
Their website says 465 accepted out of 715 interview for Fall 2018

Last edited:
if I applied for the early admission program and haven’t heard back - should I assume rejection? With the early program, you’re supposed to receive a decision (acceptance/rejection) by September 15th. It’s already the end of August, and I’m doubtful I could get an interview before September 15th

I'm in the same boat here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prematch happens on 10/15 so until then at least, we are not gonna hear any acceptances.
True, because TCOM is a part of the TMDSAS application system, in which all schools agree to hold offers back until October 15th. Some other DO schools have a more rolling admissions system, releasing a "yes" "no" or "You've been put on hold for now" decision 2-3 weeks after an interview.

I think TCOM does have an early decision option, though, and ED applicants might hear in September.

Anyone here who has already interviewed here be able to share how it went? What was the MMI like? How was the tour and the rest of the day?

Still havent heard anything from TCOM. Hoping to hear soon

I'd also like to hear from others about how their MMIs are.

Also there's a time slot on the interview schedule that says file check with admissions staff? It is like 1.5 hours long. Anyone know what that is?

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who interviewed here tell us about how the day went?

I'd also like to hear from others about how their MMIs are.

Also there's a time slot on the interview schedule that says file check with admissions staff? It is like 1.5 hours long. Anyone know what that is?

The file check is just to ensure that the information they received from your TMDSAS application is correct. It's actually not 1.5 hours but rather like 10 minutes at most and they try to get it taken care of at the start of the day. The MMI experience was nothing out of the ordinary. You'll be fine. :)

Hoping TCOM shows me some love with an II invite tomorrow :)

Was hoping someone who has interviewed can check this for me. I interviewed last week here and my portal says “under review”. Is this the same for everyone who interviewed?

I think everyone’s changes to “under review” after the interview. I interviewed last week and over the weekend my status changed from you’ve been invited for an interview to under review.

I think the next time we can hope for a status change will be on Oct 15th when they send out prematches.
Prematches for OOS are Oct 15.
Prematches for IS are Nov 15 fyi!

Curious about some of the information and statistics about TCOM. During the interview day they talked about some application stats which i was wondering about. They were planning to interview somewhere around 780 or so applicants and offer acceptance to around 400 or so. But if they have 230 students per class, how do they reconcile the difference between the number offered and actual seats per year ? Is it because they hope some will not actually attend and give up their acceptance ? Or does the 400 include a number of students that would be waitlisted ?

Curious about some of the information and statistics about TCOM. During the interview day they talked about some application stats which i was wondering about. They were planning to interview somewhere around 780 or so applicants and offer acceptance to around 400 or so. But if they have 230 students per class, how do they reconcile the difference between the number offered and actual seats per year ? Is it because they hope some will not actually attend and give up their acceptance ? Or does the 400 include a number of students that would be waitlisted ?

I've read on here that it can take (depending on the school) 3 offers to fill 1 seat. So you send out 400 acceptances total, and ultimately fill 230 with people not taking acceptances and taking offers elsewhere

The Match that Texas does in February takes care of this. They accept 460 (double class size) and still are about 50 spots of waitlist movement after that.

II! Secondary sent 6/4, complete with LORs 6/27.
LM 69
IS resident

Anyone get an email about their portal system going offline at 5:00 PM today?

Yes! False sense of hope lol.

Lol, it did seem somewhat personalized, but I guess it went out to everyone that had an application on file. I was complete late for all of the Texas schools so I know I put myself in quite a bit of a disadvantage, but I had to take the time to get a good MCAT score and did, so I hope the gamble pays off.

Didn’t go to everyone with an application on file. I’ve already interviewed so might be somewhat targeted.

Yea I didnt receive that email and my application is marked as complete.

My app was complete on 8/9 and my application status just changed from 'application completed' to 'Your application is in review'

My app was complete on 8/9 and my application status just changed from 'application completed' to 'Your application is in review'

I was complete like 6/1 and now it’s finally “in review” lol.

Completed mine a couple weeks ago and it’s in review. I only looked after getting that portal system being down email.

in review as well but it is a new system so it could mean nothing

Reactions: 4 users
Same, I am also in review due to the new system, at least it sounds much better than the old system, which kept saying "complete"
Same here. I mean it is so late in the cycle now so I think we all do not stand a chance as they only have two months left and then they will not send out anymore interview invites. Which means, they are reviewing applications that were submitted and complete after us! :( I heard this from the admissions coordinator of TCOM saying that they will be giving interview invites until December 2019 and then no more. So we have exactly two months.