2019-2020 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II !!! Complete October 1st. TX resident. Re-applicant that didn't interview here previously and I am thrilled

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Was excited to see UNTHSC pop up in my email, but it was just them advertising their master's program. Still hoping for that II!

Reactions: 8 users
Holy crap, I just got an II today. Was not expecting this

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning! Will be giving my seat to another deserving applicant!

Reactions: 8 users
Got an email from UNTHSC... for their Master of Science program lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hello fellow med school applicants!

I'm a non-traditional Physician Assistant student who would like to pursue medical school after graduation. What do you guys think are my chances for TCOM (or even UTSW)? These would be my dream schools to go to as I have lived in Dallas my whole life.

Cumulative GPA: 3.57
AMCAS sGPA: 3.44
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.46
MCAT: not taken yet
PA work experience: hopefully will have worked ~1 year as a PA when applying (~2 years before school would start if accepted)

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Best of luck to you all! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow med school applicants!

I'm a non-traditional Physician Assistant student who would like to pursue medical school after graduation. What do you guys think are my chances for TCOM (or even UTSW)? These would be my dream schools to go to as I have lived in Dallas my whole life.

Cumulative GPA: 3.57
AMCAS sGPA: 3.44
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.46
MCAT: not taken yet
PA work experience: hopefully will have worked ~1 year as a PA when applying (~2 years before school would start if accepted)

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Best of luck to you all! :)
If you're applying that soon into your career as a PA, be prepared to explain why the sudden shift after having just started as a PA. And your MCAT will be a huge determinant. If it's above a 515, perhaps a shot at UTSW (depending on your other ECs of course). If above a 508, then decent shot at TCOM.

edit: Also, you need to really consider why you'd want to be a doctor rather than a PA. PAs have wonderful careers that often include a greater degree of patient interaction than doctors, and they make great money as well. Would $150k in debt be worth it to be a doctor if you're already a PA?

Reactions: 1 users
If you're applying that soon into your career as a PA, be prepared to explain why the sudden shift after having just started as a PA. And your MCAT will be a huge determinant. If it's above a 515, perhaps a shot at UTSW (depending on your other ECs of course). If above a 508, then decent shot at TCOM.

edit: Also, you need to really consider why you'd want to be a doctor rather than a PA. PAs have wonderful careers that often include a greater degree of patient interaction than doctors, and they make great money as well. Would $150k in debt be worth it to be a doctor if you're already a PA?
Thank you for the feedback! And yes I have thought very hard about this throughout my clinical year and have interviewed many PAs/MD's about this decision.

Anyone already accepted/interview here have any tips regarding the interview day? I understand it is MMI format. As a non-trad, I don't have access to my pre-health advising office to help prepare for MMI interviews. I've attended two other interviews before (1 MD, 1 DO, standard format), and am looking to read up on MMI interviews for additional tips. I consider myself to be personable and good in conversation, so I'm not terribly worried, but I am always open to input and feedback:)

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for a few friends who just got accepted, so if any current students attending or others who have been accepted here and might know:

Do we have to take the courses that we listed for spring 2020 on TMDSAS?
Follow up to that, during the file check, they asked what courses we were planning on taking next semester. So if we said we were going to take a class, do we have to take it? Could the acceptance be rescinded or something?

Asking for a few friends who just got accepted, so if any current students attending or others who have been accepted here and might know:

Do we have to take the courses that we listed for spring 2020 on TMDSAS?
Follow up to that, during the file check, they asked what courses we were planning on taking next semester. So if we said we were going to take a class, do we have to take it? Could the acceptance be rescinded or something?
They realize that schedules sometimes change. As long as you are going to graduate with your degree and have completed all pre-reqs you should be fine.
By the way, TMDSAS wants a new transcript after each semester during your application cycle and they will distribute it to your schools. The school where you matriculate will also want your final transcript sent directly to them.
AMCAS does not require an updated transcript each semester.

Just gave my interview spot away--good luck to everyone else applying here!!

Reactions: 4 users
They realize that schedules sometimes change. As long as you are going to graduate with your degree and have completed all pre-reqs you should be fine.
By the way, TMDSAS wants a new transcript after each semester during your application cycle and they will distribute it to your schools. The school where you matriculate will also want your final transcript sent directly to them.
AMCAS does not require an updated transcript each semester.
This is a good question. I was going to take biochem, but I have decided against it and am going to travel instead. Is it okay to end up not taking a course after all?

Got an II 11/4. This is my top choice by far!

I'm OOS and interviewed early October. Does anybody know roughly when I should be hearing back? Everyone I've talked to is doing the Texas match, so they haven't known.

For OOS applicants, its rolling admission so you can get a decision anytime. Match day will occur on February next year, so you will hear something till then. Its hard for you guys as Texas is heavily in-state biased.

Oh really? My friend from last year got accepted sometime before Christmas as an OOS. Either way it's fine, I'll just stop checking the portal and wait for an email haha.

Does anyone know when we should hear back as an in-state student? I've been frantically checking every day to see if anyone's heard back yet.

II just now! Signed up for 12/3

OOS, interviewed a long time ago, recently WL. LM between 70-73

Does anyone know when we should hear back as an in-state student? I've been frantically checking every day to see if anyone's heard back yet.
If they stay true to how it worked last year, there should be a big wave of acceptances/WL this week. I interviewed 10/11 and we were told to expect a response around now. I've still been checking on here every day too though haha

When were you complete?
I was complete the first week of July so don’t lose hope if you were complete early! :) I had pretty much given up hearing back at this point so I was definitely surprised to see the II this morning.

I was complete the first week of July so don’t lose hope if you were complete early! :) I had pretty much given up hearing back at this point so I was definitely surprised to see the II this morning.
We interviewed at Joplin on the same day, so I'm rooting for you! I wasn't complete until the first week of September, and it looks like that's about where they are in reviewing applications by date so I'm constantly checking my portal and this thread in anticipation!

Thank you! 3.9 gpa, 505 MCAT, moderate ECs including shadowing a physician, volunteering, and research.
Did you have a DO letter and shadowing? I'm trying to figure out how much of a role plays in their selective process

Did you have a DO letter and shadowing? I'm trying to figure out how much of a role plays in their selective process
No, I shadowed an MD. I think someone earlier in the thread said that a DO letter would be a plus, but it wouldn't hurt you if you didn't have one? I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Is there a way to review your supplemental application after submission? I am interviewing tomorrow and want to review everything I wrote, but can't access it via the portal. I saved it as a word doc, but I think there were some minor short answer responses that I didn't save.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after the interview?

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after the interview?

I imagine there will be at least one more wave of pre-match offers (two years ago, it took place between the first and second week of December.) If you don't hear anything, then it won't be until match day when you hear back. If you're an OOS, then it is rolling admissions.

When were you complete?
Mid August. Sent in my secondary much earlier, but my letter packet didn't come in from my school until 8/14.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Got an II today!! Interview date 12/17.. THE LAST AVAILABLE DATE

There's actually two dates in January (01/07 and 01/10)! I'm not exactly sure if those dates are filled up yet, but I just wanted to inform everyone. Looking forward to meeting y'all during the tours!

if i still have not received an II from this school, would an update letter push me in the right way? I have nothing to lose at this point and am worried given that II at Texas medical schools are coming to a end

Does anyone know how they feel about thank you emails?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

if i still have not received an II from this school, would an update letter push me in the right way? I have nothing to lose at this point and am worried given that II at Texas medical schools are coming to a end

Which email address, would we sent update letters to?