2019-2020 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy Thursday everyone :)! Is TCOM still having 1-2 interview dates this month before their interview cycle ends?

Members don't see this ad.

Happy Thursday everyone :)! Is TCOM still having 1-2 interview dates this month before their interview cycle ends?
There are no more interview dates. If they decide they need another interview date, it will be in March.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to double check. All you do is submit rank preferences and it saves it right? Then tomorrow evening the page disappears?

There are no more interview dates. If they decide they need another interview date, it will be in March.
so it’s possible they might have interviews in March?? Has this happened in the past?

so it’s possible they might have interviews in March?? Has this happened in the past?
The person I spoke to in admissions said they've been there 13 years and it's happened twice, so it's a long shot.

Reactions: 1 users
The person I spoke to in admissions said they've been there 13 years and it's happened twice, so it's a long shot.

This is typically reserved for the students enrolled in the Masters of Medical Sciences program, so that their performance during the program and into the spring semester could be evaluated. I haven't heard of any students outside of this that received interviews in March.

Congratulations to everyone who matched here! Unfortunately, I didn't :( does anyone know if we're automatically put on the waitlist if we didn't match?

Congratulations to everyone who matched here! Unfortunately, I didn't :( does anyone know if we're automatically put on the waitlist if we didn't match?

Yes, waitlist presence is automatic, there’s nothing for you to do. Last year, they sent the waitlist email at 9:02am on match day. Hoping for the same email too! Good luck!

Edit- i just got the email!

Just got the waitlist email!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who matched; I’m looking forward to meeting you some day!

If you were waitlisted, try to keep your head up! There are no fewer than 20 people in my class that were taken off the waitlist, many of whom are performing extremely well.

Does everyone that does not match here get the waitlist email automatically or do they narrow the waitlist down some? If anyone knows!

Congratulations to everyone who matched! TCOM, in my biased opinion, is the best DO school in the US. Excited to be classmates with y’all for the class of 2024!

Matched today!! Congrats to everyone who matched! Can't wait to be classmates and future doctors together! :)

Congratulations to everyone who matched! TCOM, in my biased opinion, is the best DO school in the US. Excited to be classmates with y’all for the class of 2024!

Dunno if it's really that biased, we excel in basically every metric from having the highest DO board scores to matching, on average, to the best places ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Does everyone that does not match here get the waitlist email automatically or do they narrow the waitlist down some? If anyone knows!

I'm not confident on this but I believe everyone that does not match get waitlisted

I'm not confident on this but I believe everyone that does not match get waitlisted

TCOM is one of the few schools in Texas that does actually reject people before the match.

If you haven't received that email, however, assume you are on the waitlist.

I just got denied pre ii. It's okay though I have other acceptances. I would have loved to stay in Dallas

Last edited:
Got waitlisted today. Sad life.

Does anyone know how large their waitlist pool is? I know they mention that they pull about 50 students off it, so I kinda want to get a rough percentage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Congrats to those who matched! Waitlisted here as well. That waitlist e-mail is a little passive aggressive isn't it? :blackeye:

Got waitlisted today. Sad life.

Does anyone know how large their waitlist pool is? I know they mention that they pull about 50 students off it, so I kinda want to get a rough percentage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think it's almost everyone who didn't get a match... so a lot of people, but I could be wrong
Congrats to those who matched! Waitlisted here as well. That waitlist e-mail is a little passive aggressive isn't it? :blackeye:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that!

Congrats to everyone who matched! I look forward to meeting you all.
And to those who didn't, don't give up hope! I've heard time and time again that TCOM is one of the schools with a considerable amount of waitlist movement.

To those who have been accepted, do you have transcripts on your to-do list? I graduated in 2018 and didn't have any planned courses. But TCOM still wants another transcript. I wasn't sure if it was for me or for everyone.

I think it's almost everyone who didn't get a match... so a lot of people, but I could be wrong

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that!

Out of curiosity, what did it say?

Congrats to everyone whose been accepted!! I’ll be attending TCU and I know there’s a little bit of a rivalry going on, but I hope to run into some of you on campus! I would love to have some TCOM friends!

Congrats to everyone who matched! I look forward to meeting you all.
And to those who didn't, don't give up hope! I've heard time and time again that TCOM is one of the schools with a considerable amount of waitlist movement.

To those who have been accepted, do you have transcripts on your to-do list? I graduated in 2018 and didn't have any planned courses. But TCOM still wants another transcript. I wasn't sure if it was for me or for everyone.

Yes, I graduated May 2019 and haven't been in school since, but it still said I was missing a final and official transcript. I just sent it anyway just so they have it on file.

Yes! Also, if any current students could answer- are there a good amount of people that stay in Dallas/Ft worth area for residency? Concerned that this will limit our options

Depends on what you want to do and if you value location >= training. I don't know the exact numbers, but somewhere between 25-50%+ of my class are from major cities other than DFW, namely Houston area. If you know you want FM/IM, it'll be easier to pick locations due to competition and available residency spots.

What's the new grading?
It's changed from a numerical score to pass/fail. This may be concerning since residencies mainly use this score as an objective measure that sort of levels the playing field between med schools, particularly since a lot have moved to pass/fail grading for coursework. Some have said that this will make it more difficult for DOs and that prestige of school and other factors will become more important. But, hopefully maybe emphasis will just move to step 2 clinical scores?

It's changed from a numerical score to pass/fail. This may be concerning since residencies mainly use this score as an objective measure that sort of levels the playing field between med schools, particularly since a lot have moved to pass/fail grading for coursework. Some have said that this will make it more difficult for DOs and that prestige of school and other factors will become more important. But, hopefully maybe emphasis will just move to step 2 clinical scores?

TCOM is awesome at making changes. Our faculties will listen to the student leadership and make changes accordingly. I'm excited to see if we can actually shorten the pre-clinical years. First year is tough, but second year we definitely have room to work with. Also, Texas has more of a bias for for TCOM despite the DO since they want to keep doctors instate. There are some programs still not DO friendly, but they are the minority.

TCOM is awesome at making changes. Our faculties will listen to the student leadership and make changes accordingly. I'm excited to see if we can actually shorten the pre-clinical years. First year is tough, but second year we definitely have room to work with. Also, Texas has more of a bias for for TCOM despite the DO since they want to keep doctors instate. There are some programs still not DO friendly, but they are the minority.
That makes me feel better! I’ve been looking around at residencies in DFW and it’s great to see all the DO representation

That makes me feel better! I’ve been looking around at residencies in DFW and it’s great to see all the DO representation

What specialties are you interested in? Don't know your situation, but moving to me is an adventure.

What specialties are you interested in? Don't know your situation, but moving to me is an adventure.
I have been leaning toward OBGYN after spending the last couple years on research in women's/repro health but keeping my mind open for sure! Yes it is- I am hoping I would be able to stay in the DFW area

I have been leaning toward OBGYN after spending the last couple years on research in women's/repro health but keeping my mind open for sure! Yes it is- I am hoping I would be able to stay in the DFW area

I have some stats from the class of 2019 and not many matched actually. Ignoring UTSW since no TCOM has matched there(this is program specific, not necessarily UTSW), there are 3 programs that offered only 12 spots for all of DFW. That's rough competition. Out of those three programs, only one person stayed in DFW since he/she went to Methodist Dallas.

Primary Completed: 9/12/19

Secondary Offered: 9/14/19

Secondary Completed: approximately 9/20/19 (can't find the exact date)

Rejection: 2/3/20

Primary Completed: 9/12/19

Secondary Offered: 9/14/19

Secondary Completed: approximately 9/20/19 (can't find the exact date)

Rejection: 2/3/20
I'm sorry to hear this. I see your dedication to improving your MCAT since '14 and am glad that you got several acceptances. Reinvention and perseverance I believe is rewarded in medicine, best of luck in your future!

Does anyone know when waitlist movement began in previous cycles? I know the waitlist email said most movement occurs between April and June, but I'm wondering if it will even start earlier.