2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
I am a current student about to start my 3rd year rotations so if you have any questions feel free to ask here on the forum or DM me

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received!

Secondary received! Do they send to all applicants? I can’t find any info on their website regarding secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you like the school and surrounding area? What is life like outside of class and studying? I’m from Virginia and never been around that area.

I am a current student about to start my 3rd year rotations so if you have any questions feel free to ask here on the forum or DM me

Secondary received wooo

And it's only one prompt too: Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

Anyone else have FAP and it still tells you to pay the fee?

Secondary Received, OOS! Quick Question, on the welcome page when you login it lists,
  • Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student (1-2 pages maximum)
Bust when you go to actually complete the secondary it just has the one 500 word prompt:
---Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

This is nothing to worry about, correct? Just confused why the two statement of purpose prompts differ.

How do you like the school and surrounding area? What is life like outside of class and studying? I’m from Virginia and never been around that area.
The surrounding area is pretty small but there are things to do especially if you like being outdoors. There are a few national parks within an hour-hour and a half drive, there is hiking, canoeing, horseback riding and zip lining locally. There are tons of community activities like walks, chili cook offs, etc and there is some shopping- Marshall’s, Walmart, Hibbetts, Lowe’s, JC Penny’s, Ross, Dress Barn, Ulta... quite a few others. There are also a few bars for sporting events if you are into that, and there are always volunteer events with the school clubs. There is enough to get involved with without getting too distracted. The area is beautiful with the mountains and there is a dog park that people meet at as well if you have a furry friend:) It’s a very safe area too, never had any issues even walking from the school in the middle of the night after a late study session. Hope that helps:)

Secondary Received, OOS! Quick Question, on the welcome page when you login it lists,
  • Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student (1-2 pages maximum)
Bust when you go to actually complete the secondary it just has the one 500 word prompt:
---Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

This is nothing to worry about, correct? Just confused why the two statement of purpose prompts differ.
When were you verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
The surrounding area is pretty small but there are things to do especially if you like being outdoors. There are a few national parks within an hour-hour and a half drive, there is hiking, canoeing, horseback riding and zip lining locally. There are tons of community activities like walks, chili cook offs, etc and there is some shopping- Marshall’s, Walmart, Hibbetts, Lowe’s, JC Penny’s, Ross, Dress Barn, Ulta... quite a few others. There are also a few bars for sporting events if you are into that, and there are always volunteer events with the school clubs. There is enough to get involved with without getting too distracted. The area is beautiful with the mountains and there is a dog park that people meet at as well if you have a furry friend:) It’s a very safe area too, never had any issues even walking from the school in the middle of the night after a late study session. Hope that helps:)

Thanks! - How is traveling? Is there an airport with many flights near by?

Verified 6/21, received secondary 6/22, there's only one prompt right about osteopathic experience?

Does anyone know the GPA/MCAT screen this cycle?

Thanks! - How is traveling? Is there an airport with many flights near by?
Now that is a tough one. I think the closest airport is Lexington which is abut 2 hrs away unfortunately. The Mountain Parkway is also not well lit at night so travel during the day. The city is working on expansion of the roadway as well so be aware of some construction. Its a nice peaceful drive and there isn't really a lot of traffic, but I do wish there was a closer airport

Secondary received! I was verified June 6, received a secondary June 22, and submitted my secondary June 23. Good luck everyone!

I think they've fixed this issue now! Probably just a little mix up.

Secondary received today! In state.

Secondary Received 06/22/2019 , Verified 06/03/2019, Submitted 06/23/2019. Best of luck to everyone!

Oos. Secondary received 6/23/19. Kinda dumb to ask this now, but is the school OOS friendly? Thanks!

Oos. Secondary received 6/23/19. Kinda dumb to ask this now, but is the school OOS friendly? Thanks!

Yep, I believe so! These are their first year stats:
  • First-year in-state: 58
  • First-year out-of-state: 83

Pre-secondary rejection. Ouch. I think they review the whole application because I met the minimum requirements.

So sorry about this. Good luck with other applications! Are you IS or OOS?

What's the schedule look like for year 1 (labs in morning/afternoon)?

What's the schedule look like for year 1 (labs in morning/afternoon)?
It’s usually about 8am-3pm. Lecture all day on Mondays and Fridays. Anatomy lab from 8-11am on Tuesdays and Thursday’s with classes after. OPP class on Wednesday’s from 1-5pm with lecture before starting at 10am I think. Lunch is at noon everyday

Interesting, do you mind sharing if both your cGPA and sGPA were above a 3.2?
Undergrad gpa: no. Graduate gpa: yes, degree was all 400-600 level science classes with mostly A's. Avg MCAT with new test score still pending.

Interesting, do you mind sharing if both your cGPA and sGPA were above a 3.2?
Their website says they give secondaries to "Screened applicants who meet reasonable academic requirements", so my guess is it's a holistic screen. My sGPA is <3.2 but I received a secondary with an MCAT well above their average

“ If you have submitted these letters via these sources then you will only need to list letter writer's information on the secondary application.”

Where on the secondary are we supposed to list them? I feel blind because I can’t see a place for that. Thanks!

Just got an email saying my app was complete and will be reviewed for a possible invite to interview. Submitted 6/22.

does submitting the secondary make the application complete? I submitted secondary but it still shows application not complete and a red ! in the portal status.

does submitting the secondary make the application complete? I submitted secondary but it still shows application not complete and a red ! in the portal status.

Nope. Submitting and getting complete email are different.

Is the minimum MCAT requirement to get an II the same as for receiving a secondary application? Sadly my MCAT was below 498 and I received a secondary, but the rest of my application is good.

Reactions: 2 users
Is the minimum MCAT requirement to get an II the same as for receiving a secondary application? Sadly my MCAT was below 498 and I received a secondary, but the rest of my application is good.
I would go ahead and fill it out. They screen prior to sending out a secondary

Verified 7/22/2019, received secondary 7/23, submitted 7/24.
GPA is only a 3.1, MCAT 511, and hoping for the best. OOS, from Ohio.

Does anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

Does anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?
Last year they started going out on July 25...so let’s hope we start hearing something soon