2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully something today :)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted this afternoon! Can’t wait to join KYCOM!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted this afternoon as well! Best of wishes to those still waiting on an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all of those that were accepted! Can one of you all chime in and tell me how you went about answering the secondary? I've shadowed and worked with DO's I was planning on including that, but I would love to hear some feedback for you all! Thank you in advance!

Congratulations to all of those that were accepted! Can one of you all chime in and tell me how you went about answering the secondary? I've shadowed and worked with DO's I was planning on including that, but I would love to hear some feedback for you all! Thank you in advance!
Honestly for all secondaries go look at the school and talk about how you are a good fit and how your values align with the schools.
Anyways good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
IMO KYCOM had an interesting and relevant secondary prompt. I talked about my experience shadowing DOs, highlighted differences (from my MD shadowing), and how those experiences + differences in treatment influenced me to apply to KYCOM. I also tied my secondary with the Mission statement.

They process secondaries quickly, I was able to get an interview invite the day after submitting the secondary.

Honestly for all secondaries go look at the school and talk about how you are a good fit and how your values align with the schools.
Anyways good luck!
IMO KYCOM had an interesting and relevant secondary prompt. I talked about my experience shadowing DOs, highlighted differences (from my MD shadowing), and how those experiences + differences in treatment influenced me to apply to KYCOM. I also tied my secondary with the Mission statement.

They process secondaries quickly, I was able to get an interview invite the day after submitting the secondary.

thank you so much! I never thought about point-blank comparing my MD experiences to DO experiences thinking it might have a negative connotation. I really appreciate the input.

I received an email from Michael Kennedy today saying that he can schedule me for a zoom interview for a waitlist spot. I’m assuming that means the waitlist is moving very fast this year. Any thoughts on this? I thought they pretty much rejected me already because I didn’t receive an II when I applied back in January.

I received an email from Michael Kennedy today saying that he can schedule me for a zoom interview for a waitlist spot. I’m assuming that means the waitlist is moving very fast this year. Any thoughts on this? I thought they pretty much rejected me already because I didn’t receive an II when I applied back in January.

I heard that if you get a place on the waitlist they automatically admit you for the next years, incoming class. So maybe worth your while!

More than likely they decided to interview you and just wanted to give you the heads up that it was for a waitlist position. Not sure about how the waitlist is moving.

Where did you hear this from? Is this true?
For the most part this has been the case in the past. There is no way of knowing for sure if this is still the standard as I am not on the admissions committee or involved in the process, but in the past they have offered waitlist students admission into next years class prior to interviewing people for the next cycle. If you are accepted to the waitlist, the school sees your potential and thus would have admitted you if there had been room so its only natural that you would be offered a spot in the next class without needing to reapply. While there are always extenuating circumstances, this has been the way in the past.

For the most part this has been the case in the past. There is no way of knowing for sure if this is still the standard as I am not on the admissions committee or involved in the process, but in the past they have offered waitlist students admission into next years class prior to interviewing people for the next cycle. If you are accepted to the waitlist, the school sees your potential and thus would have admitted you if there had been room so its only natural that you would be offered a spot in the next class without needing to reapply. While there are always extenuating circumstances, this has been the way in the past.
So how would this work? Would I have to reapply and tell them I was on the waitlist(hopefully I will be. Currently waitlisted at 2 other schools) the previous year? Or would they reach out and tell me they'll have a spot for me next year? I have a friend who was waitlisted last year and when I asked him about it he said it was not true.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how would this work? Would I have to reapply and tell them I was on the waitlist(hopefully I will be. Currently waitlisted at 2 other schools) the previous year? Or would they reach out and tell me they'll have a spot for me next year? I have a friend who was waitlisted last year and when I asked him about it he said it was not true.
So they would send you an email. I believe they would have you pay your deposit to reserve your spot. You would only need to reapply if you don’t get that email. They may have done away with it tbh or may have reached their capacity for accepting students for the next class. They obviously still want to leave a lot of seats for new applicants so I’m not sure how many they “automatically” accept from the previous waitlist of applicants. If I were you, I’d honestly apply. Worse case you don’t get in and have to reapply but that would also be the 2nd time they have seen your name and that increases your chances. If you want help prepping for your interview just pm me and I can give you some tips

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not in their SMP program so I’m not sure if this applies to me.
My message was a little confusing. I'm not in the UPIKE SMP neither were the people who got this offer. I think they offer it to all applicants! Good luck on your interview let us know if they end up offering this to you

Interview Invite 06/05 for 06/10 received today for online ZOOM video interview for waitlist position. I was told there is alot of waitlist movement in June and July so this would not be a waste of time. Very excited!

Interview Invite 06/05 for 06/10 received today for online ZOOM video interview for waitlist position. I was told there is alot of waitlist movement in June and July so this would not be a waste of time. Very excited!
I got the same thing. Pm each other stats?

I will be a 1st year KYCOM Med student. I bought a two bedroom two bath house. House has 2 level. I have one bedroom with bath available in a separate level with separate entrance. Kitchen shareable with me. There is a separate storage room. 2 mile from KYCOM straight on town mountain Rd. $400 utiliy included., Email [email protected]. Tell: 631-275-6179.

Does anyone know how long are the zoom interviews?

Has anyone already interviewed for waitlist and heard back?

Has anyone already interviewed for waitlist and heard back?
I interviewed today and I was told I should hear back in a week and a half when the ADCOM compiles all the information from I guess these waitlist interviews that are going on now.

Does anyone know how many people are being interviewed for the waitlist?

1.) About 8 weeks after the semester ends in May.
2.) I’m indifferent towards it honestly. I’m still learning necessary board material in my classes which is good. In the end, the curriculum will prepare you To do well on boards and you’ll supplement with outside sources along the way To fill in the cracks.
3.) I’ve seen A handful of students from each class but it differs from year to year.
4.) Not a clue on this one, sorry.
5.) Local grocery stores are adequate. We have a Walmart, Food City (nicer/smaller grocery store) and Velocity Market (even smaller). There are international food options and restaurants throughout the area and I can’t speak on the variety of options for dietary restrictions but I’ve seen both of the examples you’ve listed at Food City.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Hey i can't PM you and would like to ask a few questions

Can anyone from the school answer these questions I have?

> How many weeks do they give for dedicated board prep?
> Does the non-system based curriculum help or hinder your ability to study for boards?
> Do you know how many HPSP students are attending (people going the military route)?
> Do you know how many people who are national service corps scholarship recipients?
> How are the local grocery stores? Do they have international food options? How about food for people with certain dietary restrictions (like soy milk, gluten-free options, etc.)?
-You get about 2 months for dedicated, they provide kaplan and ComBank board prep and they pay for the board exams (except level 2 PE). I would still get Uworld and firstaid
-They have moved to a more systems based approach and try to incorporate what they can through all classes. I didn’t feel it hindered me on boards. As long as you do a lot of questions from your question banks you should be good
- I know of about 2 or 3 from my class in HSPS. They have a student club too
-not sure on this one
- We have about 4 different grocery stores but not sure on the ethnic options. There’s Walmart, Food City (like Kroger), Velocity Market (mom and pop like), and Save A lot.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

Has there been any movement on the waitlist yet? Anyone withdraw an acceptance recently? Just trying to get an idea of where things are at currently.

Has there been any movement on the waitlist yet? Anyone withdraw an acceptance recently? Just trying to get an idea of where things are at currently.
I interviewed last Friday. I’m expecting a response between now and next Wednesday

I interviewed last Wednesday. I am also hoping for a response similarly to @ox_vars (now and next Wednesday). Someone who also interviewed in our batch said they were withdrawing their waitlist/acceptance this week because they were accepted elsewhere.

I was told by admissions today that there has been movement on the waitlist.
That's a bummer, maybe last Tuesday Interviewers got a response today, and then last Wednesday Interviewers will be this upcoming Monday, Thursday interviewers will be Friday. It's a stretch but also a possibility, probably unlikely, but gives me some hope.

That's a bummer, maybe last Tuesday Interviewers got a response today, and then last Wednesday Interviewers will be this upcoming Monday, Thursday interviewers will be Friday. It's a stretch but also a possibility, probably unlikely, but gives me some hope.
I would keep a little hope just because they said there was movement in the waitlist between June/July, another month to go lol

I would keep a little hope just because they said there was movement in the waitlist between June/July, another month to go lol

True. Classes start July 18th or around then... Literally like a month to go lol

EDIT: classes start July 27th

Last edited:
Was anyone here accepted or interviewed with less than a 3.2 gpa? I was reading this thread and saw that there was a 3.2 screen for interviews.

Was anyone here accepted or interviewed with less than a 3.2 gpa? I was reading this thread and saw that there was a 3.2 screen for interviews.

I'm sure you could always email them. I think I've read on here that some schools grant exceptions if you just reach out.

I interviewed last Wednesday. I am also hoping for a response similarly to @ox_vars (now and next Wednesday). Someone who also interviewed in our batch said they were withdrawing their waitlist/acceptance this week because they were accepted elsewhere.
Did you guys ever hear anything since interviewing?

If I just submitted my application last night would u guys say that's late? Also, has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted into this program with a sub 500 or sub 495 score?

If I just submitted my application last night would u guys say that's late? Also, has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted into this program with a sub 500 or sub 495 score?
I wouldn’t say you are too late to the game. If this was September it would be a different story. I have heard of just below 500, but never below 495. They start initial screen usually at 498 but on rare occasions for FM and KY residents have accepted a 496 but they bring a ton to the table (good gpa, lots of extracurriculars and work experience etc).

I wouldn’t say you are too late to the game. If this was September it would be a different story. I have heard of just below 500, but never below 495. They start initial screen usually at 498 but on rare occasions for FM and KY residents have accepted a 496 but they bring a ton to the table (good gpa, lots of extracurriculars and work experience etc).

I'm sorry, I meant for matriculating for NEXT YEAR, not this year. Oh okay so they screen at 498, yeah, unfortunately I'm a CA resident and a sub 495. Although, the rest of my application is rock solid and spot on. Looks like I may not have a shot then. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I meant for matriculating for NEXT YEAR, not this year. Oh okay so they screen at 498, yeah, unfortunately I'm a CA resident and a sub 495. Although, the rest of my application is rock solid and spot on. Looks like I may not have a shot then. Thanks.
I figured that’s what you meant. Most places open June 1st for apps so the best bet is to submit in that first week or 2 so you get selected for review first when there are more spots available. After September it can get kind of dicey for applicants just submitting. I wish I had better news for you:/ The average over the years for MCAT scores keeps creeping up. I would definitely consider retaking, even applying while studying to retake is a good option. I wish you the best of luck :)