2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II from here too! there was one option for Oct 4 (which I couldnt do) so I had to choose the next opening in January. I emailed admissions and they said they would reach out to me if there are any openings

Reactions: 1 users
accepted!! ahh i’m over the moon loved this school!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! One of my top choices!!! Yay!

Reactions: 7 users
II- September 17th
Interview- September 20th
Accepted- 09/26/19

Feels surreal :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys. So I'm getting ready to complete my secondary and I have a question. Is DO letter required or just preferred?? What are the chances of moving ahead if my physician letter is from an MD??

I believe it is just preferred unless the application or website states otherwise. If you don’t have a letter from a D.O. or any shadowing experience with a D.O., make sure you have a solid answer as to why you’re applying to an osteopathic medical school and why you want to be an osteopathic physician. I don’t think having a letter from an M.D. will be the big deciding factor in the adcoms moving ahead with your application. As long as your letter is strong, your GPA, MCAT, EC’s, Personal Statement and Secondary will carry most of the weight.

Withdrew my interview from here, hoping it goes to one of you nice folk!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get accepted elsewhere?

Nope! Hearing testimonies from Kentucky residents who have already been accepted to the school made me reconsider using my time/resources to come interview at KYCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
What have you heard?

Wack grading system, partial mandatory attendance, that whole shindig. I interviewed at LECOM, so I shouldn't complain but after some minutes (actually seconds) of contemplation I decided against interviewing here.

Wack grading system, partial mandatory attendance, that whole shindig. I interviewed at LECOM, so I shouldn't complain but after some minutes (actually seconds) of contemplation I decided against interviewing here.
That’s a bold move, Cotton.

But nonetheless I wish you luck with the rest of your cycle!

Last edited:
  • Love

+1 I also gave up my interview for 10/4

The grading system isn’t much different than undergraduate. You earn scores on each subject in your block exam and at the end you have a GPA calculated based on those percentages. Anything over 70% is passing. You work hard but I also enjoy that aspect because I’m building a solid foundation in my knowledge base to prepare me for boards. Also technically class is mandatory for the first semester of your first year, after that you’re not required to go. FWIW, there are still many first years who are starting to trickle off and not go to class.

Reactions: 3 users
II just in! Pretty pumped, solid school from what I hear; although coming from NYC—> NOLA, Kentucky would be quite the change haha

Stoked to get an II, but will be withdrawing since I got into somewhere closer to home. Hope it goes to one of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got the call! Interviewed 10/4. Feels great!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call! Interviewed 10/4. Feels great!!!
Awesome, congrats doc. Any advice for the interview? Not really worried about interviewing, just going to be honest & myself. Anything that may have caught you off guard ?

Awesome, congrats doc. Any advice for the interview? Not really worried about interviewing, just going to be honest & myself. Anything that may have caught you off guard ?
Thank you!
Chill interview. Very relaxed, conversational, mostly about you and expanding on your app. No choking questions at all. Only advice is be yourself and know that post II acceptance is high. They just want to make sure you’re normal.

Thank you!
Chill interview. Very relaxed, conversational, mostly about you and expanding on your app. No choking questions at all. Only advice is be yourself and know that post II acceptance is high. They just want to make sure you’re normal.
Well
I’m screwed, definitely not normal haha

Reactions: 3 users
II tonight, turned it down. Hopefully it goes to one of you!

Has anyone submitted their direct deposit or filed for fafsa yet?
I filed for FAFSA about a week ago, but haven't heard anything from the school. Just tried to email the [email protected] email and got a bounce back. I know they gave us the contact info for one of the financial aid people at the interview, I just have to find it so I can email.

So I got the "science GPA too low" email (mine is 3.19, says competitive is min 3.2). It says to update aacomas if I'm taking classes that can put me over, which I am (anatomy, on track to get an A). Anyone have any thoughts on emailing them prior to receiving my final grade just to let them know that I am taking courses to put me over a 3.2 and then again when I receive the grade, or just wait until I receive the grade.

First II of the cycle from this school today! I am an OOS post bacc student with low gpa, good MCAT, lots of ECs. I was marked complete on 10/10. Booking a flight now. Good luck to everyone else applying!

First II of the cycle from this school today! I am an OOS post bacc student with low gpa, good MCAT, lots of ECs. I was marked complete on 10/10. Booking a flight now. Good luck to everyone else applying!
May I ask how low is low gpa? I think I'm in a similarish boat as you, though I received an email from them earlier this cycle about my gpa being too low.. I gave them a call and I was told they might lower the screen later in the cycle, so I have my fingers crossed.

May I ask how low is low gpa? I think I'm in a similarish boat as you, though I received an email from them earlier this cycle about my gpa being too low.. I gave them a call and I was told they might lower the screen later in the cycle, so I have my fingers crossed.
My Baccalaureate Science gpa was 3.12. The year after I graduated I did a 26 credit DIY post bacc. I took only science classes. Got a 4.0 and manage to get my total sGPA to 3.27. My overall is 3.4 now but before my PB it was 3.3.

My Baccalaureate Science gpa was 3.12. The year after I graduated I did a 26 credit DIY post bacc. I took only science classes. Got a 4.0 and manage to get my total sGPA to 3.27. My overall is 3.4 now but before my PB it was 3.3.
Thank you, and congrats on your first ii :)
KYCOM seems to have a pretty high post interview acceptance rate, so I'm excited for you~

Does anyone know what the screen is here for GPA and MCAT? I’ve seen both 3.2 and 3.25 sGPA, and I’ve seen 498 MCAT? Anyone heard? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know what the screen is here for GPA and MCAT? I’ve seen both 3.2 and 3.25 sGPA, and I’ve seen 498 MCAT? Anyone heard? Thanks in advance!
I have a 3.22 sGPA and am interviewing in two weeks

I am a current student about to start my 3rd year rotations so if you have any questions feel free to ask here on the forum or DM me
First off, congrats on surviving 2 years of medical school! I recently got an interview invite and I am trying to figure out the logistics of getting to Upike and back. I currently reside in PA, but my family is from (northern)VA. What is your advice on transportation and staying arrangments?

Very similar situation and was surprised at the quick turnaround after the secondary submission. The soonest interview date available was 1/10

Received II today! Kinda shook because I submitted my secondary yesterday morning... wasn't anticipating that type of turn around!

I was marked complete in September and have gotten no email yet. Neither good nor bad. Is that a silent R or do y’all think they genuinely haven’t gotten to my application yet?

I was marked complete in September and have gotten no email yet. Neither good nor bad. Is that a silent R or do y’all think they genuinely haven’t gotten to my application yet?
I'm unsure how the process is since I decided to apply so late. I truly wasn't anticipating to hear back until later. I don't want to say it's a silent R though, I feel like there can be so much variability between applicants- I'm sorry I can't be much help :/ I'd maybe recommend seeing other posts to gauge if they typically do silent R's or not. Hoping for the best for you!

do people who send in GPA updates late (December) have a chance at an interview? Submitted secondary late August but sGPA below their requirement for interview. Current class will put GPA over requirement.

First off, congrats on surviving 2 years of medical school! I recently got an interview invite and I am trying to figure out the logistics of getting to Upike and back. I currently reside in PA, but my family is from (northern)VA. What is your advice on transportation and staying arrangments?
The hardest part about not living in KY is the travel Lol. My recommendation is to fly into the Lexington airport and rent a car. The drive is about 2.5 hrs from there but I believe it is the closest airport to us. It may be wise to see if anyone else interviewing that day form this group may want to do something similar and you can split the cost of the rental. The other option is to just drive the whole way but I know thats a long drive. Wish we had a closer airport!

Additionally, there are a few hotels to choose from. The Hilton and Hampton offer free parking and are literally across the street from the school.

The don’t do silent rejections. I would call admissions to see if there is a hold up. Also check your junk/spam