2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do people who send in GPA updates late (December) have a chance at an interview? Submitted secondary late August but sGPA below their requirement for interview. Current class will put GPA over requirement.
Yes you do still have a chance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else fully decided on KYCOM? I'm so excited to get our facebook page and meet everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First ii! Interviewing December 12. Was complete 10/20.

Reactions: 1 users
That was so quick!! Congrats. Are you a gunner applicant? Lol
Haha yeah they sent ii at like 6:30 this morning. Took a late MCAT so I’m a little behind this cycle.

How high is the post-interview acceptance rate here?

Received II today! Kinda shook because I submitted my secondary yesterday morning... wasn't anticipating that type of turn around!

The same thing happened to me. The only dates I could sign up for were in January tho...

The same thing happened to me. The only dates I could sign up for were in January tho...
Glad you got a date! I was lucky to find a December date, best of luck!

I’ve commited to KYCOM (I even cancelled all my other scheduled interviews and cancelled my other acceptance in order to fully commit to KYCOM! I really really liked the people there it was just a lovely environment and friendly people and I can’t wait to be a part of their community! They also provide a lot of resources with COMLEX prep and they’re primary care focused(I want to do internal medicine) and they have relatively low tuition costs honestly I feel very confident in my decision!!

For those curious my stats were

~3.2 cGPA
513 MCAT
OOS
ORM
Clinical, research and teaching experience

I believe I applied in late May and recieived my II sometimes mid-August something like that...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve commited to KYCOM (I even cancelled all my other scheduled interviews and cancelled my other acceptance in order to fully commit to KYCOM! I really really liked the people there it was just a lovely environment and I can’t wait to be a part of their community! they also provide a lot of resources with COMLEX prep and they’re primary care focused and relatively low tuition costs honestly I feel very confident in my decision...

For those curious my stats were

~3.2 GPA
513 MCAT
Research and clinical
over represented minority

I applied early in the cycle and recieived my II sometimes around mid-August I believe? Maybe a little after that time
I know it can be stressful applying with a lower than average GPA or MCAT (my LizzyM was only ~64) but schools do take holistic approaches and as long as you apply strategically I promise it can be done and dreams really do come true just be patient your time will come!! If anyone has any questions let me know I’m happy to help give all the advice I can!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there already exists an official KYCOM Facebook group? Or will KYCOM provide us with that link later on in the cycle?

Does anyone know if there already exists an official KYCOM Facebook group? Or will KYCOM provide us with that link later on in the cycle?
I'm not seeing a FB page for the class of 2024 just yet. If I'm remembering correctly, I think one of the current students mentioned that our FB group should be created around December/January... I'm assuming it'll be made a little after Dec 14th (when a lot of decisions will be made since deposits are due)

I'm not seeing a FB page for the class of 2024 just yet. If I'm remembering correctly, I think one of the current students mentioned that our FB group should be created around December/January... I'm assuming it'll be made a little after Dec 14th (when a lot of decisions will be made since deposits are due)
To clarify, I think only those accepted prior to Nov 15th must pay their deposit by Dec 14th. I don't want to cause worry for anyone who didn't know that!

Interviewed Friday, waiting for the call....

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure where they are scheduling right now, but I just wanted to let you guys know I'm turning down my January 11th interview. Hope it goes to one of you guys!!

Also, good luck to everyone here! :)

Can anyone elaborate on the interview format? (is it a group interview/2 interviewers?)

Can anyone elaborate on the interview format? (is it a group interview/2 interviewers?)
Usually you and 2 faculty only. There is a tour and other current students to chat with while you wait

Not sure where they are scheduling right now, but I just wanted to let you guys know I'm turning down my January 11th interview. Hope it goes to one of you guys!!

Also, good luck to everyone here! :)
I'm assuming you've received an acceptance elsewhere so congratulations on that! :) best of luck to you!

Has anyone who interviewed on Oct 25th heard back yet??
I got an email saying decisions were delayed due to Dr. Shaffer being out of town. I checked my portal a couple days after that though and my decision was posted there already. I haven't received a phone call from anyone that I know of. When was the last time you looked at your KYCOM portal?

I got an email saying decisions were delayed due to Dr. Shaffer being out of town. I checked my portal a couple days after that though and my decision was posted there already. I haven't received a phone call from anyone that I know of. When was the last time you looked at your KYCOM portal?
Just looked, Thank you for the info!! It was on there!

Thanks for letting us know that we should look at our portal, I was starting to low-key freak out about it as well and then I checked!

For current KYCOM students, is there anything that makes KYCOM uniquely different from another school, or something that should draw me to Pikeville? I like the small-town feel, but how does the curriculum and sim lab compare to other schools in terms of preparing you well?
Anything that you love about the school would be great to know for sure so I can make a great decision as I have been accepted at another school that I love as well!

I also forgot to ask- what is housing like near campus, as well as the overall cost of living in Pikeville? Are there stores nearby to easily get furniture, appliances, etc or does that mean a 2+ hour drive to Lexington or Tri-Cities?

Driving home from my interview last month I noticed a huge Walmart ~10 minutes away from KYCOM... can’t really imagine anything you may need that Walmart doesn’t have

Thanks for letting us know that we should look at our portal, I was starting to low-key freak out about it as well and then I checked!

Where on your portal does it show the decision?

I paid my deposit for KYCOM about three days ago. How long did it take for the admissions office to reach out to you about what the next steps are?

Where on your portal does it show the decision?
As soon as you log in there may/may not be be a tab called "admission offer" and when you click on it, it will give you what looks kind of like a text letter telling you the admissions committee's decision. Not sure if the admission offer title comes without an actual admission offer, but that should give you an idea of what to look for regardless.

I paid my deposit for KYCOM about three days ago. How long did it take for the admissions office to reach out to you about what the next steps are?
Just paid my deposit as well!! :)

I also forgot to ask- what is housing like near campus, as well as the overall cost of living in Pikeville? Are there stores nearby to easily get furniture, appliances, etc or does that mean a 2+ hour drive to Lexington or Tri-Cities?

KYCOM offers you the “KYCOM Advantage” where an iPad, Apple Pen, textbooks, personal OMT table and more is included in your tuition. Curriculum is not systems-based but I still believe it has set a solid foundation to prepare us for boards. Professors are beyond helpful and will meet with you 1-on-1 to discuss any concerns with your classes and make sure you understand the material.

Housing around pikeville is relatively cheap. There is a furniture store and a Walmart to get appliances but no large shopping mall for quite a while. A lot of the housing around Pikeville is rented out to undergrad/medical students so they should come with appliances but if you need to purchase them, I would recommend either from Walmart or purchasing them wherever you’re from and then moving them. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

I just canceled my interview. Wish you all the best moving forward! :)

Wondering what are my chances of getting interview with MCAT 499, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.58 and over 1000 hours of clinical & volunteer hours

Completed Mid Aug, have not heard anything, any comrades?

Accepted this morning! Interview 11/8

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know the post interview acceptance rate here?

So the interview is two to one for 30 minutes?

Just sent an email to cancel my mid December interview so if someone wants an earlier interview date maybe reach out to admissions!