2019-2020 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone sent a follow-up letter or email by chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when scholarship info comes out? I got an email with "Fianancial Aid Offer" but it was just the loans, not sure if this means I have been reviewed for scholarship and turned down or what?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed today for an update and this was the response:
The alternate list has not been set yet, so all candidates on 'Hold' will remain so until the list is created, sometime around the end of March or beginning of April. And though we have extended many offers, once other
schools start filling their seats and/or pulling off their waitlists, we will start to see more movement at which time some of our seats will be vacated allowing more offers to be extended.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when we should actually hear about immunizations requirements?

Officially got an email saying the following: "Thank you for your continued interest in the University of South Alabama College of Medicine program. All COM applicants on hold will remain so until further notice. We will be developing an alternate list in early April, after which applicants will receive a status update notifying them that they have been placed on the list or removed from further consideration for this cycle. Your patience during this process is appreciated."

Reactions: 3 users
Post interview denial today, 511, 3.97, instate, traditional

Just received waitlist email

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted yesterday as well. The $100 deposit from accepted students is due April 30th, so I would guess the vast majority of the movement from the waitlist will happen over the next month.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard what percentage of students from the wait list are accepted?

It seems a little tougher to gauge without the wait list tiers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard what percentage of students from the wait list are accepted?

It seems a little tougher to gauge without the wait list tiers.
MSAR says that the typical number of waitlist positions per cycle is 40 and the number of accepted offers granted to waitlist applicants is 30.

post-ii rejection earlier this week. interviewed 12/15, good luck to the rest of y'all!

......anyone want to take bets as to if people are going to be accepted off of the waitlist before April 30th?

absolutely yes! Maybe just wishful thinking. I wonder if they send out the invites one by one as spots come open or if they do it on certain dates...crazy the impact of people holding multiple acceptances. I’m guessing applicants hold onto multiple acceptances to see the how scholarship awards play out at each school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to previous years’ threads they only send out acceptance notices on or after April 30th. Call me crazy, but being stuck inside has made me check and think about this more than I should and these are my thoughts.

1) Have aid/scholarship package offers been sent out yet? If not, then I’d anticipate some immediate small movement on the waitlist once it’s sent (Like 5 people max).

2) The Facebook page has fluctuated from 96 to 94 and now 97(?) members in the last couple of weeks. We need some insider insight to know if someone has recently been accepted from the WL.

3) Historically, USA has never made a waitlist (according to SDN) prior to April; let alone in the middle of March like they did for us. Meaning this cycle is already different than past years and could lead to earlier acceptance notices. On top of there’s the choose your school tool this cycle.

Adcoms and other applicants have all been forced into this same situation where we can only do so much from home.

Applicants: Tons of time to pick a school once they have financial aid info. Want stability with their future.

Adcoms (Admin): will be at home working on getting all of this handled quickly so they can prepare for this hectic upcoming cycle. They don’t want to be figuring out who to admit while they are reviewing new apps and figuring out a new policy to accommodate P/F, late MCAT, etc.
Adcoms (clinical): they especially don’t have the time to be deciding on which students to admit. This is their last worry and probably just want it handled.

My guess is that there will be a quicker shift in waitlist movement across the country than ever before. At least that’s how I’m pretending to maintain sanity.

wait how did you find out how many people are on the Facebook? 97 seems like there is a long way to go before they have open spots :(

wait how did you find out how many people are on the Facebook? 97 seems like there is a long way to go before they have open spots :(

I’m going assume (for the sake of having a good day) that the high number includes student government / interested students from previous years, USA admin folks and maybe a few professors...

I’m going assume (for the sake of having a good day) that the high number includes student government / interested students from previous years, USA admin folks and maybe a few professors...

There are 3 admins (older USA med students). The rest appear to be applicants.

Withdrawing my acceptance; I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone seen or heard of withdrawals / acceptances happening yet? With the deadline for holding only one acceptance tomorrow....I'm thinking/hoping there should be some movement occurring.

My friend and I were both accepted from waitlist today around 10am! So excited!!

Reactions: 7 users
The biggest/sincerest/warmest congratulations to everyone @corvus @corvus’ friend @StashtheGumbo @jtptn2704 @docunity (@Omed, we see you at UAB!!) accepted today and yesterday!!

For everyone else still anxiously waiting on the call as we go into the long weekend, let’s rub some magic Mardis Gras beads together for WL movement. We’ll all get our “good morning, beautiful“ calls from South soon!

So kind, thank you!!! Wishing the best for all of you. Your time is coming soon!

Reactions: 2 users
When acceptances go out, does USA show up on "Choose Your Medical School" before or after they notify you?
I semi-compulsively keep checking "Choose Your Medical School" for a change...

Last edited:
I was accepted on Monday! So excited!!

Congrats!!! Somebody rubbed their Mardis Gras beads together!

For anyone accepted: any guesstimation on the number of waitlist people already accepted per the Facebook group? I think those of us sitting on the WL are over here counting numbers on SDN (6-7) to gauge how much more movement will be happening
I checked the facebook, said +19 members in the past 30 days. Who knows if that means anything. Still hoping for some movement for those of us still waiting for our spot! Good luck everyone!

I checked the facebook, said +19 members in the past 30 days. Who knows if that means anything. Still hoping for some movement for those of us still waiting for our spot! Good luck everyone!

Some members that were recently added are current med students - from what I can tell, there’s been about 11 people accepted from WL.

Let there be movement! Wishing all us waitlist folks a successful next couple weeks!

The number of members for the Facebook groups of South (+11) and UAB (+6) went up this week. I’m hoping thats a sign things are moving!

Anyone with the option for both schools, that’s currently on the fence - should for sure 100% go with UAB Lol

This week: USA Facebook group (+/-0) and UAB group (+2)

For those still on the WL, are you in reapply mode, moving to wherever your other A (if you have one) is soon, or are you sticking to your guns and religiously checking everything on here until the cycle ends?

I’m gonna wait one more week and then CTE to another school...a little painful but gotta get ready

These updates are for future applicants neurotically checking past threads.
USA: 124 (+3) (was +4 on Monday)
UAB: 205

Facebook groups are NOT indicative of WL movement. This cycle is NOT normal for comparison purposes. The WL has NOT been pulled from at USA at all in June according to the admissions office.

Just want to add to this: I've heard there are several people who were accepted earlier but are just recently getting added to the Facebook group so it seems that the number of people in the Facebook group doesn't have much to do with movement.

I withdrew my name from the alternate list yesterday. If you commit to enroll somewhere else, you must do this. I thought the choose your medical school tool was sufficient, but apparently not. Good luck to those still on the list!!

Does this mean they called you yesterday offering a seat and you had to have an awkward conversation of “I‘m actually CTE’d somewhere else”?
No. When you commit to another school, they require you to contact each school and remove yourself from the waitlist. I just sent USA an email to remove myself.