2019-2020 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Carolina - Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like South Carolina rejects OOS. Just a heads up.

Got the email for close ties form yesterday - unless you truly do have close ties, they're likely not going to put you at the top of their priority list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the secondary yet?

Has anyone received the secondary yet?
Yes but I'm OOS and I don't think I'm a priority... so they aren't one for me either. I'll fill it out later if I have time.

Got the email for close ties form yesterday - unless you truly do have close ties, they're likely not going to put you at the top of their priority list!
what's the close ties forms?

^ That's not true. I was OOS last year and applied, interviewed, and was waitlisted. They just accept less OOS than IS.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS but close ties (lived in Charleston last year) and just received a secondary. Verified 7/18/19

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have significant close ties to the state. Looks like I won't be sending in a secondary. As someone who lives in the southeast its a bummer but I appreciate their honesty.

Do you guys mind posting the secondary prompts?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, just realized my email was asking me to fill out a close ties form before they decide to send a secondary. So I actually don't have the prompts yet

What are your medical practice goals?
Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career.
If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).
In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?
What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?
Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?

All 2000 characters or less

I submitted my close ties form two weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
how bad would it look like if I didn't do the last question "Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?".

First rejection of the cycle. Kind of knew I didn't have strong enough SC ties. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else this cycle!

to everyone who has submitted - when I log into the portal, the only option is "create an application". I don't see the one that I submitted. Does this mean that it didn't go through? Does anybody else see their completed application status?

Chiming in late here, but I got my "close ties form" on 7/9, received secondary on 7/22, and submitted the day after. Just my guess, but it probably takes a while to go through those forms.

to everyone who has submitted - when I log into the portal, the only option is "create an application". I don't see the one that I submitted. Does this mean that it didn't go through? Does anybody else see their completed application status?
Dude same! I went to check on my progress and this happened to me, I started freaking out that I never saved or submitted mine. I meant to call about this to make sure mine was received but I've been working.

Dude same! I went to check on my progress and this happened to me, I started freaking out that I never saved or submitted mine. I meant to call about this to make sure mine was received but I've been working.

I noticed this as well; however, I received an email saying my application was complete and moved on in the process so I assume thats just what happens after they accept your secondary

I noticed this as well; however, I received an email saying my application was complete and moved on in the process so I assume thats just what happens after they accept your secondary
Yeah I emailed them and they forwarded me the confirmation email and said that that's just how the application portal looks

Any OOS that submitted in-state forms in July still waiting on a secondary?
Edit: some ties to the state, lived/worked there for a year.

Any OOS that submitted in-state forms in July still waiting on a secondary?
Edit: some ties to the state, lived/worked there for a year.

I would consider emailing them. I submitted ties same day that I received it and got the secondary the day after in late July.

I am IS and have not even gotten a secondary. I think because a low MCAT. It was a long shot anyways.

I am IS and have not even gotten a secondary. I think because a low MCAT. It was a long shot anyways.

Mind sharing MCAT? I wouldn't lose hope, sometimes adcoms review apps or ties in a weird order

Okay thanks! Do you have strong ties?

I don’t really know what constitutes strong or medium or whatever, but I lived there for 5 years growing up and shadowed a couple of doctors in SC so I think on the stronger side. But for whatever reason some strong ties USC applicants don’t have 1 day turnarounds like I did, so you never know with adcoms and their processing order.