Jul 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello! Current first (almost second?) year, here to answer any questions about the school, including the SELECT program!
Feel free to message or tag me :)

Feb 26, 2019
Hello! Current first (almost second?) year, here to answer any questions about the school, including the SELECT program!
Can you briefly explain the difference between Core and SELECT (other than SELECT having some years in Allentown, PA?)? My understanding is that if I want to do research I should choose Core.

Jul 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Essentially, SELECT takes an extra class each week focused on things like emotional intelligence / leadership / etc. We get coaches and coaching groups and peer coaches; which can be as useful / unuseful as you make it- my peer coach and I ended up getting along very well and are good friends, for example, but some other people aren't as close.

In terms of research, they're about the same. for select it's mandatory to do research over the summer after M1 but core it's not mandatory (although most core kids still do research over the summer). we both have the option to join the Scholarly Concentrations, but most select kids don't / aren't expected to. SELECT research is somewhat a bit more aimed towards quality improvement type projects, but by no means does that mean you can't do it - for example, i'm doing a basic science / wet lab project.

Other than that, for first year we have SELECT specific doctoring where we focus a little bit more on things like motivational interviewing but it's really not much different, it's mostly just - you're in a group with other select folk.
The main difference comes in going up to allentown - we're the only school that rotates up in that hospital system, which can really help for clinical skills.
The con to this is, it's hard to make those connections / longitudinal experiences because of the moving in two years, and it's really hard to say bye to core friends :( Can do rotations in tampa without them being technically externships, though. Basically, you get two "home bases" which can deff help for residency.

In terms of applying, SELECT is very OOS friendly so if you're OOS your best bet is applying to both select and core. If you're in state, you can apply both but you'll probably be put in core (there's like two people in my select class that are from florida).

Sorry this was supposed to be brief right....

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
Feb 26, 2019
Essentially, SELECT takes an extra class each week focused on things like emotional intelligence / leadership / etc. We get coaches and coaching groups and peer coaches; which can be as useful / unuseful as you make it- my peer coach and I ended up getting along very well and are good friends, for example, but some other people aren't as close.

In terms of research, they're about the same. for select it's mandatory to do research over the summer after M1 but core it's not mandatory (although most core kids still do research over the summer). we both have the option to join the Scholarly Concentrations, but most select kids don't / aren't expected to. SELECT research is somewhat a bit more aimed towards quality improvement type projects, but by no means does that mean you can't do it - for example, i'm doing a basic science / wet lab project.

Other than that, for first year we have SELECT specific doctoring where we focus a little bit more on things like motivational interviewing but it's really not much different, it's mostly just - you're in a group with other select folk.
The main difference comes in going up to allentown - we're the only school that rotates up in that hospital system, which can really help for clinical skills.
The con to this is, it's hard to make those connections / longitudinal experiences because of the moving in two years, and it's really hard to say bye to core friends :( Can do rotations in tampa without them being technically externships, though. Basically, you get two "home bases" which can deff help for residency.

In terms of applying, SELECT is very OOS friendly so if you're OOS your best bet is applying to both select and core. If you're in state, you can apply both but you'll probably be put in core (there's like two people in my select class that are from florida).

Sorry this was supposed to be brief right....
Super helpful! Thanks! I didn’t even know I could apply to both.

Jul 23, 2018
Current undergraduate here at USF applying for a non-traditional MD/PhD. Do you know if CORE and SELECT still applies for MD/PhD candidates?

Jul 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Current undergraduate here at USF applying for a non-traditional MD/PhD. Do you know if CORE and SELECT still applies for MD/PhD candidates?
I’d assume you can’t do select for md/phd because select involves moving to PA, haha! you probably wouldnt even need to do a scholarly concentration for that so i wouldn’t worry about it, but i guess you’d be in core technically. unless they let you do the 6 years here and join a different class in lvhn for last two but thats a little too much
I’m about 90% sure usf’s mdphd isn’t an mstp though (they only pay for ur phd years) since i looked into it myself when i was applying, so fair warning. could be wrong though.