2019-2020 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

1. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Private Practice

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Health Policy

Other

2. (1000 characters) Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question.

3 (OPTIONAL, 1000 characters). The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Page Not Found | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals?

4. (2000 characters) The University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

5. (2000 characters) If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

6. (1000 characters) If you have chosen the program SELECT or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! Current first (almost second?) year, here to answer any questions about the school, including the SELECT program!
Feel free to message or tag me :)

Hello! Current first (almost second?) year, here to answer any questions about the school, including the SELECT program!

Can you briefly explain the difference between Core and SELECT (other than SELECT having some years in Allentown, PA?)? My understanding is that if I want to do research I should choose Core.

Members don't see this ad :)
Essentially, SELECT takes an extra class each week focused on things like emotional intelligence / leadership / etc. We get coaches and coaching groups and peer coaches; which can be as useful / unuseful as you make it- my peer coach and I ended up getting along very well and are good friends, for example, but some other people aren't as close.

In terms of research, they're about the same. for select it's mandatory to do research over the summer after M1 but core it's not mandatory (although most core kids still do research over the summer). we both have the option to join the Scholarly Concentrations, but most select kids don't / aren't expected to. SELECT research is somewhat a bit more aimed towards quality improvement type projects, but by no means does that mean you can't do it - for example, i'm doing a basic science / wet lab project.

Other than that, for first year we have SELECT specific doctoring where we focus a little bit more on things like motivational interviewing but it's really not much different, it's mostly just - you're in a group with other select folk.
The main difference comes in going up to allentown - we're the only school that rotates up in that hospital system, which can really help for clinical skills.
The con to this is, it's hard to make those connections / longitudinal experiences because of the moving in two years, and it's really hard to say bye to core friends :( Can do rotations in tampa without them being technically externships, though. Basically, you get two "home bases" which can deff help for residency.

In terms of applying, SELECT is very OOS friendly so if you're OOS your best bet is applying to both select and core. If you're in state, you can apply both but you'll probably be put in core (there's like two people in my select class that are from florida).

Sorry this was supposed to be brief right....

Reactions: 4 users
Essentially, SELECT takes an extra class each week focused on things like emotional intelligence / leadership / etc. We get coaches and coaching groups and peer coaches; which can be as useful / unuseful as you make it- my peer coach and I ended up getting along very well and are good friends, for example, but some other people aren't as close.

In terms of research, they're about the same. for select it's mandatory to do research over the summer after M1 but core it's not mandatory (although most core kids still do research over the summer). we both have the option to join the Scholarly Concentrations, but most select kids don't / aren't expected to. SELECT research is somewhat a bit more aimed towards quality improvement type projects, but by no means does that mean you can't do it - for example, i'm doing a basic science / wet lab project.

Other than that, for first year we have SELECT specific doctoring where we focus a little bit more on things like motivational interviewing but it's really not much different, it's mostly just - you're in a group with other select folk.
The main difference comes in going up to allentown - we're the only school that rotates up in that hospital system, which can really help for clinical skills.
The con to this is, it's hard to make those connections / longitudinal experiences because of the moving in two years, and it's really hard to say bye to core friends :( Can do rotations in tampa without them being technically externships, though. Basically, you get two "home bases" which can deff help for residency.

In terms of applying, SELECT is very OOS friendly so if you're OOS your best bet is applying to both select and core. If you're in state, you can apply both but you'll probably be put in core (there's like two people in my select class that are from florida).

Sorry this was supposed to be brief right....

Super helpful! Thanks! I didn’t even know I could apply to both.

Reactions: 1 user
Current undergraduate here at USF applying for a non-traditional MD/PhD. Do you know if CORE and SELECT still applies for MD/PhD candidates?

Current undergraduate here at USF applying for a non-traditional MD/PhD. Do you know if CORE and SELECT still applies for MD/PhD candidates?
I’d assume you can’t do select for md/phd because select involves moving to PA, haha! you probably wouldnt even need to do a scholarly concentration for that so i wouldn’t worry about it, but i guess you’d be in core technically. unless they let you do the 6 years here and join a different class in lvhn for last two but thats a little too much
I’m about 90% sure usf’s mdphd isn’t an mstp though (they only pay for ur phd years) since i looked into it myself when i was applying, so fair warning. could be wrong though.

"Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare."

Would you guys recommend writing this specific to the health disparities in Southern Florida? Or just overall?

"Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare."

Would you guys recommend writing this specific to the health disparities in Southern Florida? Or just overall?

Overall

Secondary received, IS, MD-PhD, verified 5/30.

Reactions: 1 users

This may be irrelevant, but USF is not considered South Florida by any one living here haha and might be a little weird referring to it in you essay as.

Edit: I'm referring to Tampa specifically. They may be active in other parts of FL though lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava

1. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Private Practice

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Health Policy

Other

2. (1000 characters) Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question.

3 (OPTIONAL, 1000 characters). The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Page Not Found | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals?

4. (2000 characters) The University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

5. (2000 characters) If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

6. (1000 characters) If you have chosen the program SELECT or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I prewrote and they changed the character limit for prompts 2 and 3.

Ugh, I prewrote and they changed the character limit for prompts 2 and 3.
And they removed the questioning about addressing disparities, which was probably one of my best prewriten essays :/

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
FYI, you cannot submit unless you type something into every box, including the "If yes, blah blah blah" so you'll need to put "N/A"

Reactions: 3 users
Also, tried to submit and just got the spinning wheel of death.
You might want to just reload the page. This happened with my FSU app which was using the same portal system. I believe if you're on the page too long it freezes up.

You might want to just reload the page. This happened with my FSU app which was using the same portal system. I believe if you're on the page too long it freezes up.

Wow. Glad I didn't type directly into the boxes... Definitely keep everything in Word, people.

Reactions: 2 users
"If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)."
Does anyone know if they mean to explain any grade that was a B or does they mean B- and below. I do not have any grade below a B- but do have a slight amount of B's.

"If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)."
Does anyone know if they mean to explain any grade that was a B or does they mean B- and below. I do not have any grade below a B- but do have a slight amount of B's.
They want you to explain anything "less than a B", so if you have any B-'s or grades less than that, you have to explain them. Otherwise, if the lowest grade you have is a B, you don't have to explain it.

Secondary submitted, hope my alumni will give me some love. Best of luck everyone!

And they removed the questioning about addressing disparities, which was probably one of my best prewriten essays :/

Incoming M1 (will be starting at USF later this month) and can sympathize. I poured my heart and soul into that essay and I think it's what got me an interview here.

Could you please explain the international medicine concentration program and how it could be used? The online site is confusing me a little.

And could you please describe what the "Core and Select" is? Is it a combination of both? For OOS, should I pick "Select", or "Core and Select" to increase my chances of getting in?

@PapaGuava I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but your secondary post does not include the entirety of the first question. Best of luck, everyone.

Do you think working in a major hospital would be considered public health? Or in public health are they talking about focusing on health disparities in the surrounding area?

Think it's alright if I complete the residency form electronically? I don't have access to a printer.

when I submitted, I did not receive a confirmation email. anyone else experience the same thing?

Anyone else struggling with the first prompt? Academic medicine has three components: patient care, teaching, research. How can I fit skills I learned from each in 1,000 characters?!?!?! Did you guys just list it out, or did you explain?

Anyone else struggling with the first prompt? Academic medicine has three components: patient care, teaching, research. How can I fit skills I learned from each in 1,000 characters?!?!?! Did you guys just list it out, or did you explain?
this is precisely why I haven't completed this secondary yet

this is precisely why I haven't completed this secondary yet
I can see how 1,000 characters would be sufficient for private practice, but I think to hit every role you play in academic medicine (or perhaps the other options they provide), you're pretty much gonna have to list them out and can't get too specific (like give examples in which you used the skill). That's what I'm gonna do (hell I listed it out and still am at 1,300 characters)

I can see how 1,000 characters would be sufficient for private practice, but I think to hit every role you play in academic medicine (or perhaps the other options they provide), you're pretty much gonna have to list them out and can't get too specific (like give examples in which you used the skill). That's what I'm gonna do (hell I listed it out and still am at 1,300 characters)
I responded to this prompt with the selection of health policy and kept it ~990 characters. It wasn't easy, but I found being direct and concise was the only way. I very specifically stated my roles/experiences and the skills I have learned from them that I could apply to the field. I avoided going to far into descriptions of the activities themselves, as those descriptions appear in the AMCAS and were taking up too much room.

I responded to this prompt with the selection of health policy and kept it ~990 characters. It wasn't easy, but I found being direct and concise was the only way. I very specifically stated my roles/experiences and the skills I have learned from them that I could apply to the field. I avoided going to far into descriptions of the activities themselves, as those descriptions appear in the AMCAS and were taking up too much room.
Did you happen to list out the skills you learned? Like "from this experience I learned X, Y, and Z.

Did you happen to list out the skills you learned? Like "from this experience I learned X, Y, and Z.
Essentially, I focused on a major EC of mine working in health policy. State what I walked away with from the experience, and then followed up with a brief description of what I have done and the skills I have acquired since. Closing with a brief statement about why these skills will serve as a foundation for the knowledge I need to successfully engage in health legislation as a future physicians.

Essentially, I focused on a major EC of mine working in health policy. State what I walked away with from the experience, and then followed up with a brief description of what I have done and the skills I have acquired since. Closing with a brief statement about why these skills will serve as a foundation for the knowledge I need to successfully engage in health legislation as a future physicians.
That's how I would like to write mine as well, the problem is academic medicine has three components to it that really make it the unique field I am interested in, so it's very difficult to talk only about one EC.

That's how I would like to write mine as well, the problem is academic medicine has three components to it that really make it the unique field I am interested in, so it's very difficult to talk only about one EC.
Well with the limited space, you might have to end up putting more emphasis on one of those components (such as education) and what has prepared you for that component. Perhaps acknowledging the interdisciplinary uniqueness of the field and how it inspires you?

Do you have to complete the residency form for the app to be reviewed? It says I'm complete without submitting it.