2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Southern California (Keck)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received, IS. Same exact prompts as last year it looks like, but I can't type in any of the fields.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted and complete. Good luck my peeps!

Anyone have advice on the most fun you've had recently prompt? I know it's simple but I have so many options and I bet all of you have had many fun experiences too. Just wanted to know how you decided on which one to write about. Thanks!

• Haha
Anyone have advice on the most fun you've had recently prompt? I know it's simple but I have so many options and I bet all of you have had many fun experiences too. Just wanted to know how you decided on which one to write about. Thanks!

I haven’t received the secondary yet but I prewrote. I talked about the last vacation I took.

Reactions: 1 users
Received this secondary just now! Verified 6/25

just be natural and honest. I talked about getting a tour of a guitar factory and test driving a new Stratocaster right off the line.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It should relate back to medicine

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
It should relate back to medicine

Hard disagree. I feel like it shouldn't- they want to see that you're a normal person that does other fun things with your life.

None of us really know anything though, all of us our just taking our chances with whatever we write

Reactions: 14 users
Secondary received and submitted. I wrote about working on a video shoot while completely delirious and sleep deprived in Portland as a most fun experience. I think they want to get to know ya as a human being and not as a pre-med machine... idk

Dumb question, how recently would yall say is “recently” in regards for the “most fun you’ve had recently” prompt? This summer? This past year?

Dumb question, how recently would yall say is “recently” in regards for the “most fun you’ve had recently” prompt? This summer? This past year?

I don’t think it matters.

Hard disagree. I feel like it shouldn't- they want to see that you're a normal person that does other fun things with your life.

None of us really know anything though, all of us our just taking our chances with whatever we write

It was a joke

Email stating app is complete at 2:38 AM PST.

Is anyone adding a "Why Keck" essay to the optional "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" prompt or nah?

Hey everyone! I'm an applicant from last cycle who will be attending Keck this Fall and received a full ride and housing scholarship from Keck. If you guys have any questions or want some feedback PM me! I have a lot of free time until August when we start school lol. Keck is a wonderful school and truly a special place so I would love to talk to anyone who is wondering about Keck! :)

This secondary leads me to believe that I don’t actually have a shot if my MCAT isn’t OP. There’s nothing to extrapolate about a nickname I come up with... Just me?

This secondary leads me to believe that I don’t actually have a shot if my MCAT isn’t OP. There’s nothing to extrapolate about a nickname I come up with... Just me?
I liked this secondary a lot because it let you really show how unique you were and it gives more insight into who you are as a person, albeit the prompts being short. Dean Arias told us on interview day that she wanted to learn new things about us in the secondary, so don't think your MCAT will bring you down, yours is not bad at all.

I liked this secondary a lot because it let you really show how unique you were and it gives more insight into who you are as a person, albeit the prompts being short. Dean Arias told us on interview day that she wanted to learn new things about us in the secondary, so don't think your MCAT will bring you down, yours is not bad at all.
I guess I hadn't thought about it that way. I'm under the impression that every just wants my secondary money haha.

I guess I hadn't thought about it that way. I'm under the impression that every just wants my secondary money haha.
Oh no, I think Keck actually uses these to get to know you! Dean Arias reads them all herself and helps hand pick who to interview and who gets into the school. She is super involved in the process and your secondary is just another piece in them getting to know what kind of person you are.

Oh no, I think Keck actually uses these to get to know you! Dean Arias reads them all herself and helps hand pick who to interview and who gets into the school. She is super involved in the process and your secondary is just another piece in them getting to know what kind of person you are.

Well I appreciate the insight. I’ll definitely take it seriously then! Not that I wasn’t, but you know.

+1 OOS secondary received.

Question about the short answer Q's...what if my 5 sentence response to the "didn't get something I felt I deserved" prompt is 223 words long? :) :) :)

Will this be an issue and possibly held against me?

Question about the short answer Q's...what if my 5 sentence response to the "didn't get something I felt I deserved" prompt is 223 words long? :) :) :)

I mean with enough conjunctions, I could make A Tale of Two Cities five sentences, but I would try to trim yours down a bit.

The Gettysburg Address was only 272 words, for reference.

• Haha

Sounds like someone has a lot of feelings about not getting what they deserved. Lol. I have to admit I struggled with that prompt and my answer was kind of blah. You win some you lose some.

Sounds like someone has a lot of feelings about not getting what they deserved. Lol. I have to admit I struggled with that prompt and my answer was kind of blah. You win some you lose some.

Most of it was me setting up the situation, if anything the concluding 2 sentences are me completely taking responsibility for it. Is it safe to assume they will be familiar with the Activities in my AMCAS primary? That will allow me to gut out a lot of the exposition....

Secondary received, IS. Same exact prompts as last year it looks like, but I can't type in any of the fields.

@peanutbuttah @PapaGuava I was just about to submit and noticed the prompts are NOT all the same as last year! The short answers are, but the essay is new:

What does health equity mean to you?
Please answer the question in 150 words or less.

I almost just pasted my answer to the old essay in there. Thank god I read it. Back to writing I guess... soon as my heart starts beating again...

@peanutbuttah @PapaGuava I was just about to submit and noticed the prompts are NOT all the same as last year! The short answers are, but the essay is new:

What does health equity mean to you?
Please answer the question in 150 words or less.

I almost just pasted my answer to the old essay in there. Thank god I read it. Back to writing I guess... soon as my heart starts beating again...

Well I already submitted... but I remember the essay being about something I would change if I had the power... which is the same as last year

I wonder if they just changed it. I feel like I looked through it when I first got it and everything looked familiar, but things are starting to run together and I'm not sure if I checked every question. My portal right now definitely has the health equity question.

Well I already submitted... but I remember the essay being about something I would change if I had the power... which is the same as last year

Just checked. It appears to be “what does health equity mean to you?”

Perhaps I didn’t pay close enough attention... uh oh.

I wonder if they just changed it. I feel like I looked through it when I first got it and everything looked familiar, but things are starting to run together and I'm not sure if I checked every question. My portal right now definitely has the health equity question.
When I first opened the secondary, the prompts were the same... I just went back and now it says "What does health equity mean to you?" and my answer is about something I would change............................................... uhhhhhhhh

Reactions: 4 users
When I first opened the secondary, the prompts were the same... I just went back and now it says "What does health equity mean to you?" and my answer is about something I would change............................................... uhhhhhhhh

+1

can someone post the updated prompts please?

I know we can't change our answers now, but I'm assuming this is worth an email? at least to let them know we were looking at a different prompt?

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one at least. I think it would be worth an email.

!!!

I'm sure you guys are fine, it was definitely the "what would you change" prompt even when I checked it this morning. They must've changed it for whatever reason this afternoon.

I honestly don't think a call/email tomorrow would hurt at all.

Weird tactic too weed out the tryhards I guess

• Haha
I sent an email. I will let y'all know what the reply is.