2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said April, but not a specific date.
That will be for the loans and whatever need-based aid there is (which historically, is minimal, if any). I know for a fact all merit money is gone.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
That will be for the loans and whatever need-based aid there is (which historically, is minimal, if any). I know for a fact all merit money is gone.
It might be "gone", but the cycle isn't over. Some accepted applicants with full rides will end up going somewhere else and then the money will be available again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be "gone", but the cycle isn't over. Some accepted applicants with full rides will end up going somewhere else and then the money will be available again.
Yes ... for redistribution after 4/30. Because that’s when Keck will know for sure who’s coming and who’s not (aside from WLs).

The thing is... we have to decide by 4/30 ... :(

• Sad
No one's gotten anything financial aid related outside of merit aid, correct?

Reactions: 1 user
Why is the match list confidential to begin with?
I don't think its necessarily confidential, during interviews they give you a packet with past match data. I guess they figure that if you haven't been accepted then its probably not a big deal if you know their match data or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if an iPad or laptop is included in the tuition?

Has anyone gotten their fin aid package yet?

if i remember correctly from interview day, Dean Arias said if we were to send a LOI it should just be a simple one-liner stating that we will attend if accepted? they don't want a full letter about why you're a good fit etc etc? can anybody confirm :)

if i remember correctly from interview day, Dean Arias said if we were to send a LOI it should just be a simple one-liner stating that we will attend if accepted? they don't want a full letter about why you're a good fit etc etc? can anybody confirm :)

Yes, she did say that.

I’ll ~probably~ be turning down a cheaper school, though not higher ranked

Did you get the full $100k in federal direct unsubsidized loans? I only got a portion of the $100k covered by that loan and then have to apply for more
Federal Direct Unsubsidized has a maximum of approximately $43k (from memory) for graduate school. However you then have Federal Grad Plus loans that can be used up for the remaining balance up to school’s COA. However, you need to request the school to display this amount on their award sheet.

I might do the same, still thinking about it because it's much much cheaper and still an MD in California

Definitely still thinking about it too, although mine is all the way on the east coast and a good years worth cheaper.. but I just want to go back to California

My financial aid package was all loans as well.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized has a maximum of approximately $43k (from memory) for graduate school. However you then have Federal Grad Plus loans that can be used up for the remaining balance up to school’s COA. However, you need to request the school to display this amount on their award sheet.
+1 on this. Sounds like everyone is gonna be like this lol

• Sad
Maybe this will be the year keck announces tuition free/debt free at the white coat ceremony!!

(No I didn’t hear about this, just wishful thinking)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I have so many mixed feelings, I can barely ask myself where I should start when it comes to saying goodbye.

I shared many moments with you, moments that will remain in my heart forever. You were my first interview invite. You were my first acceptance. You became my everything when I thought about the next four years of my life. And I will not deny that it hurts, because a part of me is still where you are… in Southern California, where the sun shines radiantly and the crashing waves of the beaches at Santa Monica can be heard in the silence of night. But I am also aware that things have changed enormously … you have no more recruitment scholarships left for me … and I will not continue to force myself to force things.

It is impossible for you to know how much my farewell hurts, because I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to forget me, and replace me with those other students who are willing to go into 400k debt for you. But I will always remember you with immense affection. My interview day was simply one that left a lasting impression on me up to the very hour that I am writing this letter, and I know that these words should not mean too much to you right now. I wish you could see everything from my point of view and maybe that way, it would be easier for you to forgive me. After all, having to say goodbye is also making me suffer; and I thought I would have the strength to leave with my feelings intact.

You were one of the most important schools in my life. Perhaps the most important so far, as I was willing to turn down offers from “higher ranked” schools and leave my family behind to be with you. And it is so painful to leave my dream life with you behind … you should have no doubt how much you have made my heart beat. I love you USC Keck, I really do.

I do not intend to soften you with this letter… because you were very firm on the unavailability of any scholarships, half or full … and you have a large waitlist of spectacular candidates more than willing to take my place in this years class … and that 400k debt. At some point I will learn to live with memories, although unfortunately I know it will not be today, nor tomorrow. Now that I think about it ... what hurts the most is not so much the farewell, but knowing that we could do a lot of things better, avoid so much trouble … like maybe you going debt free or me hitting the lottery … and who knows if we will still consider some hope at this moment for residency. I accept it, a part of me would like to do it… you know… come back for residency. I miss that time when we wanted to discover together what we could achieve in the future, in which we began to have intense feelings for each other and there seemed to be nothing that could end what we were living.

But time can be the worst enemy of love, when it is not destined to remain. Maybe I will come to love the school I am choosing to matriculate at, maybe it will fill the void left by you.

Be that as it may, I just want you to know that I loved you a lot, more than I could get to love another school. Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck and I can only tell you, that I will remember you.

Mamba out.

-Mamba

TLDR: Was the hardest decision of my life, but I have withdrawn. I hope one of you deserving people on the WL can fulfill my dream of being a student at USC. Treat her good! BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 15 users
I have so many mixed feelings, I can barely ask myself where I should start when it comes to saying goodbye.

I shared many moments with you, moments that will remain in my heart forever. You were my first interview invite. You were my first acceptance. You became my everything when I thought about the next four years of my life. And I will not deny that it hurts, because a part of me is still where you are… in Southern California, where the sun shines radiantly and the crashing waves of the beaches at Santa Monica can be heard in the silence of night. But I am also aware that things have changed enormously … you have no more recruitment scholarships left for me … and I will not continue to force myself to force things.

It is impossible for you to know how much my farewell hurts, because I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to forget me, and replace me with those other students who are willing to go into 400k debt for you. But I will always remember you with immense affection. My interview day was simply one that left a lasting impression on me up to the very hour that I am writing this letter, and I know that these words should not mean too much to you right now. I wish you could see everything from my point of view and maybe that way, it would be easier for you to forgive me. After all, having to say goodbye is also making me suffer; and I thought I would have the strength to leave with my feelings intact.

You were one of the most important schools in my life. Perhaps the most important so far, as I was willing to turn down offers from “higher ranked” schools and leave my family behind to be with you. And it is so painful to leave my dream life with you behind … you should have no doubt how much you have made my heart beat. I love you USC Keck, I really do.

I do not intend to soften you with this letter… because you were very firm on the unavailability of any scholarships, half or full … and you have a large waitlist of spectacular candidates more than willing to take my place in this years class … and that 400k debt. At some point I will learn to live with memories, although unfortunately I know it will not be today, nor tomorrow. Now that I think about it ... what hurts the most is not so much the farewell, but knowing that we could do a lot of things better, avoid so much trouble … like maybe you going debt free or me hitting the lottery … and who knows if we will still consider some hope at this moment for residency. I accept it, a part of me would like to do it… you know… come back for residency. I miss that time when we wanted to discover together what we could achieve in the future, in which we began to have intense feelings for each other and there seemed to be nothing that could end what we were living.

But time can be the worst enemy of love, when it is not destined to remain. Maybe I will come to love the school I am choosing to matriculate at, maybe it will fill the void left by you.

Be that as it may, I just want you to know that I loved you a lot, more than I could get to love another school. Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck and I can only tell you, that I will remember you.

Mamba out.

-Mamba

TLDR: Was the hardest decision of my life, but I have withdrawn. I hope one of you deserving people on the WL can fulfill my dream of being a student at USC. Treat her good! BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!
This is great, I hope you sent this to admissions as your withdrawal :lol:

Mamba out.

-Mamba

You made a great decision! This school isn't worth 400k if you have better offers.

Reactions: 2 users
if only they’d do something like the undergrad

I called the financial aid office when the news broke that the undergrad campus was doing this and they said they don't have as much money to give as they do :confused:, doesn't make much sense to me but i guess lol.

Withdrew my A, good luck to everyone on the waitlist :)