2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone remember if the LOI is supposed to be just 1 sentence? I remember the dean looking favorably to very brief LOIs and unfavorably to any sort of updates, but I can't remember if they were one-liners (since her examples were something like that). Or is 2-3 sentences okay (with no updates)? It's been a while lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone remember if the LOI is supposed to be just 1 sentence? I remember the dean looking favorably to very brief LOIs and unfavorably to any sort of updates, but I can't remember if they were one-liners (since her examples were something like that). Or is 2-3 sentences okay (with no updates)? It's been a while lol
And do we send the LOI to admissions or directly to Dean Arias? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm paranoid and being nitpicky, but Keck says to submit the LOI "after April 30, 2020". Does this mean I can submit it today (April 30) or after today (so tomorrow May 1)?

Maybe I'm paranoid and being nitpicky, but Keck says to submit the LOI "after April 30, 2020". Does this mean I can submit it today (April 30) or after today (so tomorrow May 1)?

I would just send it tomorrow first thing in the AM. Good luck!

I’m being paranoid too :oops:

But yes mine does say after too so I guess that’s the safe bet. Thanks

Will be withdrawing with a 2-year full tuition scholarship as soon as I figure out the proper way how/who to email (thx if anyone can point me in the right direction)

Reactions: 1 user
I was just offered a partial scholarship via phone call!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Will be withdrawing with a 2-year full tuition scholarship as soon as I figure out the proper way how/who to email (thx if anyone can point me in the right direction)
Where are you going to matriculate?
Less expensive?

I just wrote one sentence! It seemed like they really didn't want more than that

officially withdrew today as well! good luck everyone:)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the correct way to withdraw and have it get reflected on AMCAS?
Email to withdraw was sent to office of admissions, but would prefer to know there was an automated method to withdraw so that there was no chance of the extra Acceptance remaining on AMCAS after today’s deadline.

What is the correct way to withdraw and have it get reflected on AMCAS?
Email to withdraw was sent to office of admissions, but would prefer to know there was an automated method to withdraw so that there was no chance of the extra Acceptance remaining on AMCAS after today’s deadline.
I e-mailed the office of admissions and got an e-mail confirming my withdrawal 2 minutes later, followed by a withdrawal survey. I didn't check AMCAS right away, but I checked ~2 hours later and it was removed from my CYM tool.

Just sadly withdrew. Hope my partial scholarship goes to one of you!

• Love
I just wrote one sentence! It seemed like they really didn't want more than that

I would write what you want to write. If a school is going to not consider your application because you wrote a paragraph instead of 3 sentences, they’re probably not worth attending anyway imho.

Just withdrew! Good luck to anyone on the waitlist

For future applicants:
I had a 508 MCAT
Submitted secondary early Aug @ 9pm
Interview invite the next day by midday
Interviewed late oct and accepted exactly a week later.
Have hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Does it mean you’re out of the running if you don’t write an LOI? So you can only remain on the waitlist if USC is your top choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Officially withdrew from Keck this morning. That was a tough letter to write. Love ya'll and hope one of your beautiful souls is blessed with an A here. Fight One!

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted and committed to Keck this fall!

If you're a female and interested in living in Currie Hall next year in a 4 bed/4 bath, let me know! I prematurely signed a lease with them but am hoping to stay with my folks in the area instead. Even if you were planning on living at Currie anyway if you would just request my name, I would really appreciate it! You’d still be eligible for any specials they’re currently running and the lease signing process is essentially the same.

Let me know if you're interested! And also if you have any other questions regarding Keck (currently an MS1 so I can probably only answer pre-clinical questions), feel free to PM me!

Anyone know if we can send LOIs only if we have an acceptance elsewhere? The WL email just had a general statement saying we can send LOIs starting April 30 but the portal says only if you have an acceptance.

Anyone know if we can send LOIs only if we have an acceptance elsewhere? The WL email just had a general statement saying we can send LOIs starting April 30 but the portal says only if you have an acceptance.
If you don’t have any other acceptances they assume you will go to USC. Generally the vibe of the school is they don’t like extraneous communications of any kind. So I think they prob wouldn’t want it. Even if you had another acceptance they only want a sentence or two for the LOI. It’s simply a notification, not an assessment of your writing or motivation.

If you don’t have any other acceptances they assume you will go to USC. Generally the vibe of the school is they don’t like extraneous communications of any kind. So I think they prob wouldn’t want it. Even if you had another acceptance they only want a sentence or two for the LOI. It’s simply a notification, not an assessment of your writing or motivation.

This is really helpful. Thank you!

Just got the call! Accepted off waitlist!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I actually missed her call yesterday!

Ahhhhh congratulations!!! I missed a call yesterday too but her voicemail didn't say anything specific and i'm freaking out waiting! Did she leave a voicemail telling you that you got off the waitlist or how did you find out??

Last edited:
Hey, I am trying to get in contact with another applicant: If I met you at the USC interview and we chilled with one other student during out "down" time in between interviews, and then saw each other at the CUSM interview and discussed USC and you told me you were waitlisted, please message me!

I got a call on Friday from Dean Arias as well. Are we expecting an official acceptance email or am I supposed to email her back with my response?

Has anyone been able to successfully negotiate their financial aid package? I just got off the waitlist at a state school that would be significantly cheaper for me to attend, but I would like to stay in LA close to family :((

Has anyone been able to successfully negotiate their financial aid package? I just got off the waitlist at a state school that would be significantly cheaper for me to attend, but I would like to stay in LA close to family :((
do they even give need based aid? i thought it was all merit based

Did anyone who interviewed after mid January get accepted?

Keck does not seem to negotiate. I tried and failed miserably.

Any more recent calls? Or do y’all think the class is already full and no more WL movement :(

For those receiving merit aid, was the scholarship reflected in your financial aid information?

The financial aid office told me that they have to wait for the school to send them the scholarship info, and that it will take a while for it to be reflected on your FAST account.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who interviewed after mid January get accepted?

I interviewed IN mid January (not after) and got accepted off the waitlist... not sure if that helps you or if you are looking specifically for waitlist admits after mid January lol.