2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed IN mid January (not after) and got accepted off the waitlist... not sure if that helps you or if you are looking specifically for waitlist admits after mid January lol.
Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking when were you notified of your acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed IN mid January (not after) and got accepted off the waitlist... not sure if that helps you or if you are looking specifically for waitlist admits after mid January lol.

When did you get accepted?

Do you think it is a possibility that there will be other merit scholarships awarded this summer for those who got off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can remain on the waitlist if we CTE at another school? I'm not sure when, if ever, i'll hear back from keck, but the CTE deadline for my 2nd choice is fast approaching :(

Does anyone know if we can remain on the waitlist if we CTE at another school? I'm not sure when, if ever, i'll hear back from keck, but the CTE deadline for my 2nd choice is fast approaching :(
As far as I know, No. USC will see that you CTE’d elsewhere and will remove you from the waitlist. Also, the school that has the deadline approaching could rescind your acceptance if they discover you are still holding on to other acceptances/waitlists.

oh this is the wrong thread im so sorry, pls ignore my post im so sorry

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Post-WL R, email said class is filled. It was a good run y’all, best wishes to everyone!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how they can already say the class is filled? Surely there is still WL movement at other schools and students can withdraw?

I wonder how they can already say the class is filled? Surely there is still WL movement at other schools and students can withdraw?
They likely sent that email to the bottom percentile of their waitlist.

there will probably still be movement, but very minimal.

is anyone looking for housing near Keck? Please DM me if so. I really need to transfer my lease before I attend another institution or I'm financially screwed :(

A friend got a post-WL R from here today but I didn't get any emails at all. I also never sent in an LOI... Anyone know if that somehow removes you from the alternate list? Or am I still in the (very low probability) running?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about USC's internal medicine residency program and why so many people match back there. I have heard in the past that the program is not super well regarded, but that might not be the case anymore? Does anyone have any insight?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about USC's internal medicine residency program and why so many people match back there. I have heard in the past that the program is not super well regarded, but that might not be the case anymore? Does anyone have any insight?
I think in general, it’s not abnormal for the majority of students to match back into their home institutions. I could be wrong though.

I think a good chunk of this year's graduating class wanted to stay in California so it’s not surprising that they'd try to match in their home program. Plus, Keck students usually enjoy the IM rotation in LA County. Not sure where you heard that it’s not a well regarded program tho? Never heard of that but I also don’t talk to many doctors outside of the USC circle, so I don’t have an outsider’s perspective.

I think a good chunk of this year's graduating class wanted to stay in California so it’s not surprising that they'd try to match in their home program. Plus, Keck students usually enjoy the IM rotation in LA County. Not sure where you heard that it’s not a well regarded program tho? Never heard of that but I also don’t talk to many doctors outside of the USC circle, so I don’t have an outsider’s perspective.

hmmm it's just a reputation I have heard from a few posters here on SDN and a few of my mentors as well when I told them I would be matriculating

hmmm it's just a reputation I have heard from a few posters here on SDN and a few of my mentors as well when I told them I would be matriculating
Keck seems to be the punching bag of SDN recently coz of the scandals from recent years, but the school responded to those appropriately. I don’t think those ever even hindered the quality of our education or our match results.

Not sure what your mentors know or what specific things they have to say, but I’d love to hear what they think! Nevertheless, I think graduates from the IM program seem to do fine too. Theyre matching into different fellowships or getting jobs all over the place.

Reactions: 1 user
Keck seems to be the punching bag of SDN recently coz of the scandals from recent years, but the school responded to those appropriately. I don’t think those ever even hindered the quality of our education or our match results.

Not sure what your mentors know or what specific things they have to say, but I’d love to hear what they think! Nevertheless, I think graduates from the IM program seem to do fine too. Theyre matching into different fellowships or getting jobs all over the place.

Seems like in the past USC's IM program was a lot more IMG-heavy than it is now. They said it had a reputation of a program that never filled, so you could just SOAP into it if you didn't match.

Seems like in the past USC's IM program was a lot more IMG-heavy than it is now. They said it had a reputation of a program that never filled, so you could just SOAP into it if you didn't match.
That's interesting! Well, I can say that since I've been here it's been overwhelmingly been US MDs that are in the IM program :shrug: It's probably because it is a big academic program in California, so it's gotten more competitive and now draws a lot more US MDs that want to match in California compared to before. I also just looked up how much USC had to SOAP to fill their incoming class and they haven't had to since at least 2013 (don't have info on anything earlier than that).

Regardless, I hope they didn't dissuade you too much from matriculating, and that I might see you around on campus this coming school year :D

That's interesting! Well, I can say that since I've been here it's been overwhelmingly been US MDs that are in the IM program :shrug: It's probably because it is a big academic program in California, so it's gotten more competitive and now draws a lot more US MDs that want to match in California compared to before. I also just looked up how much USC had to SOAP to fill their incoming class and they haven't had to since at least 2013 (don't have info on anything earlier than that).

Regardless, I hope they didn't dissuade you too much from matriculating, and that I might see you around on campus this coming school year :D

Not at all. I am absolutely stoked to be coming here! Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns--it just had been in the back of my mind since hearing it.

@sealfriendo I have also heard some less than amazing things about the IM residency at SC, particularly in terms of culture. There are certainly better programs in LA and California overall

@sealfriendo I have also heard some less than amazing things about the IM residency at SC, particularly in terms of culture. There are certainly better programs in LA and California overall

Hmmmm. I feel like if it was a malignant program then not that many from SC would match there?

How did they respond appropriately? They retaliated against the resident who reported that she was sexually assaulted. That same leadership is still at USC. So please explain.

They lost their CVD fellowship in the process and their residencies are on probation.

And yes they are a punching bag for scandals for good reasons. The dean scandal, the gynecologist who sexually abused patients, etc.

Hmmmm. I feel like if it was a malignant program then not that many from SC would match there?

Someone else already said it.. they are more likely to match in their home program and most likely want to stay in LA.

Any more waitlist acceptances? Starting to think this is the end of the road...

How did they respond appropriately? They retaliated against the resident who reported that she was sexually assaulted. That same leadership is still at USC. So please explain.

They lost their CVD fellowship in the process and their residencies are on probation.

And yes they are a punching bag for scandals for good reasons. The dean scandal, the gynecologist who sexually abused patients, etc.

Fair point. I guess if what you want as the appropriate response is a complete change in the admin, then I guess no our steps aren't appropriate enough. What I can say is that our administration is constantly reminding us and encouraging us to report any semblance of assault. I can only trust that they've made improvements to keep the students and residents safe if they're encouraging it as hard as they are. USC has also been assessed by ACGME and our residencies have accreditation with warning, with a follow-up assessment for further accreditation in the Fall. At the very least, ACGME deemed the school is doing what we need to do.

It is new to me to read that there was suggestions by superiors that she change programs or delay her fellowship and that really sucks. My guess us that they couldn't kick out the assaulter because their investigation at the time was inconclusive (which is obviously wrong, especially now that she won her court case against her attacker). I don't know how much of these sexual assault protocols have changed, but again I can only hope that they've made the proper changes on how these investigations are done, considering they're adamant that we report any time we have inappropriate interactions with our superiors or if we feel we are being assaulted.

Now, to say that the undergrad USC scandals cause issues in the medical school is outrageous to me. The undergrad campus pretty much operate separately from the medical campus. I don't think Geffen is getting the same kind of heat for the gynecologist that abused their undergrad UCLA students, and they shouldn't. I mean there's even a bunch of sexual assault cases against Yale Med school faculty in the past couple of years and Keck still gets more heat than them for undergrad scandals. I think it's good that all these things are getting revealed because the only way to see change is to see how ugly things really are, but to say that USC is the only institution out here with issues is also dumb.

Fair point. I guess if what you want as the appropriate response is a complete change in the admin, then I guess no our steps aren't appropriate enough. What I can say is that our administration is constantly reminding us and encouraging us to report any semblance of assault. I can only trust that they've made improvements to keep the students and residents safe if they're encouraging it as hard as they are. USC has also been assessed by ACGME and our residencies have accreditation with warning, with a follow-up assessment for further accreditation in the Fall. At the very least, ACGME deemed the school is doing what we need to do.

It is new to me to read that there was suggestions by superiors that she change programs or delay her fellowship and that really sucks. My guess us that they couldn't kick out the assaulter because their investigation at the time was inconclusive (which is obviously wrong, especially now that she won her court case against her attacker). I don't know how much of these sexual assault protocols have changed, but again I can only hope that they've made the proper changes on how these investigations are done, considering they're adamant that we report any time we have inappropriate interactions with our superiors or if we feel we are being assaulted.

Now, to say that the undergrad USC scandals cause issues in the medical school is outrageous to me. The undergrad campus pretty much operate separately from the medical campus. I don't think Geffen is getting the same kind of heat for the gynecologist that abused their undergrad UCLA students, and they shouldn't. I mean there's even a bunch of sexual assault cases against Yale Med school faculty in the past couple of years and Keck still gets more heat than them for undergrad scandals. I think it's good that all these things are getting revealed because the only way to see change is to see how ugly things really are, but to say that USC is the only institution out here with issues is also dumb.

I read that the assaulter’s half-brother was the program director for the cardiology fellowship she was in. Which I believe was why there was retaliation. But yeah the hush culture really bothers me.

Fair enough on your second point. People just hate on the Trojans, especially in football :(

Emailed admissions about something and was told pretty much what everyone else has said. "Class is full and odds of any wait list movement is slim"

I think it would be irresponsible not to consider the recent scandals when making a decision about where to attend. These types cultures do not change overnight, and although the undergrad campus is different, ultimately many of the trustees from the university board sit on the board of the medical school, and culture permeates across an institution. Not to mention that some of them have their own scandals to deal with (just take a look at the supervisor for LA’s second district, who currently holds a board seat).

I will not be attending USC for many of these reasons despite that it’s closer to home than some of the other schools I was admitted to. Accreditation with warnings is not at all reassuring for any residency programs. And to dismiss these concerns by comparing it to other schools who have also had troubling incidents is unfair to the many, many schools across the country who do not have pervasive culture problems.

I read that the assaulter’s half-brother was the program director for the cardiology fellowship she was in. Which I believe was why there was retaliation. But yeah the hush culture really bothers me.

Fair enough on your second point. People just hate on the Trojans, especially in football :(
I’m with you on that. The only way to really gauge if real change is set is if something bad happens that needs to be investigate, and I’d rather not have any situation like that occur.

And yeaaah I mean I’m not surprised with football. They hate you when you’re good for a long time, then hate you even more when your bad coz you were Good for a long time lol

I think it would be irresponsible not to consider the recent scandals when making a decision about where to attend. These types cultures do not change overnight, and although the undergrad campus is different, ultimately many of the trustees from the university board sit on the board of the medical school, and culture permeates across an institution. Not to mention that some of them have their own scandals to deal with (just take a look at the supervisor for LA’s second district, who currently holds a board seat).

I will not be attending USC for many of these reasons despite that it’s closer to home than some of the other schools I was admitted to. Accreditation with warnings is not at all reassuring for any residency programs. And to dismiss these concerns by comparing it to other schools who have also had troubling incidents is unfair to the many, many schools across the country who do not have pervasive culture problems.

It’s frustrating to me when I hear people make the jump that Keck has some sketchy malignant culture because these big time heads of USC, or undergrad admissions people or people that are far removed from the day to day life in med school did sketchy things. Heck, even when Varma was my Dean for a year, I remember seeing him once during the white coat ceremony and maybe during orientation and then never again (unlike our new dean who’s been transparent and constantly engaged with the students).

And I understand why you and other people would be skeptical about our admin and if they’ll have your back when things take a turn for the worst, but so far they have been very supportive to my class and the other classes I’ve seen. All the Keck and county faculty, admin, staff, residents and students I’ve encountered have all been kind, professional, and respectable people. Like during this time with covid, they’ve been transparent, flexible and as helpful as they can to transition the M2s and M3s forward, get M4s graduated, etc. The med school leadership is also very responsive to concerns of students, and do what they can (within reason) to improve the school to what the students want and need. My experience on the ground as a med student just doesn’t reflect the awful things we’ve seen on the news, and this pervasive culture you talk about isnt trickling down from where I’m seeing things.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Does anyone have any tips for OOS individuals who are interested in applying to Keck?

Hi! Does anyone have any tips for OOS individuals who are interested in applying to Keck?

so since Keck is private there’s technically no instate bias. Despite this it does seem that a large percentage of the class is from California. Definitely can try to answer any questions you have if you want to PM me (I was accepted from OOS with no ties to California)

OOS here.

I didn’t do anything special. Just have fun with their secondary.

I wrote a whyus for their additional info questions but it was pretty generic so I don’t think it had much impct in their interest in me.

I dig the constantine wires that run on one side of USC's fenceline that separate the campus from the Juvy Jail. Good school though, eventhough I have a sour grape attitude towards USC because they rejected me pre-II. That is okay now that I have been accepted to University of Colorado Anschutz SOM. That campus is beautitful.

Last edited:
They are going to have a mix of in-person and remote activities for the upcoming start! Not sure if that's what you meant or something else haha.
Ah not what I meant, but thanks for your response! I am currently waitlisted and USC is my dream school. Still haven't received a rejection from the waitlist which gives me ~some~ false hope, but hoping there is some movement.

Guys, I was literally crying today when Dean Arias called me. Like many of us still here on this forum, I was waitlisted post-interview. I submitted my waitlist LOI on 4/30 and didn't hear anything from them until today so I was ready to reapply this cycle. This afternoon Dean Arias called me to tell me that she had been putting off calling me because she was waiting to offer me a spot in their entering class for this year but this application cycle has been quite strange in that there has been little to no movement on the waitlist and it's already the end of June. She told me that everyone thought I was wonderful and that they'd love to have me, if not this year then next year for sure. Basically, she told me that if she can't make room for me with this year's entering class (and the chances are slim at this point), then I have guaranteed admission into next year's class without having to reapply at all. I think the official term for this amazing opportunity I've been given is a deferred offer of admission into Keck School of Medicine of USC for the class of 2025. I'm not sure how often they do this kind of thing but I couldn't be more grateful.

To those of you who have lost hope, don't give up! Everyone will have their time and when you get that call, it's more than worth it. I promise! :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Guys, I was literally crying today when Dean Arias called me. Like many of us still here on this forum, I was waitlisted post-interview. I submitted my waitlist LOI on 4/30 and didn't hear anything from them until today so I was ready to reapply this cycle. This afternoon Dean Arias called me to tell me that she had been putting off calling me because she was waiting to offer me a spot in their entering class for this year but this application cycle has been quite strange in that there has been little to no movement on the waitlist and it's already the end of June. She told me that everyone thought I was wonderful and that they'd love to have me, if not this year then next year for sure. Basically, she told me that if she can't make room for me with this year's entering class (and the chances are slim at this point), then I have guaranteed admission into next year's class without having to reapply at all. I think the official term for this amazing opportunity I've been given is a deferred offer of admission into Keck School of Medicine of USC for the class of 2025. I'm not sure how often they do this kind of thing but I couldn't be more grateful.

To those of you who have lost hope, don't give up! Everyone will have their time and when you get that call, it's more than worth it. I promise! :giggle:
I got the same call yesterday as well! It was unreal. I was just about to go and start working more on prewriting secondaries when I heard back. I had pretty much given up hope at that point, but it's great to know that it was all worth it now.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users