PapaGuava

The Real PG
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Second Prompt:
1. How have your experiences prepared you to become a physician?

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed.
What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?

3. What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - Houston

Last edited:

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
Hi all!

Rising MS1 here, starting at McGovern in August. While I can't provide any information about the curriculum (seeing as I have yet to start classes), I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the school, interviewing here, or the application cycle as a whole! Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
2500 characters each.
1. How have your experiences prepared you to become a physician?

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed.
What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?

3. What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?

@PapaGuava

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Are secondaries sent to everyone or are they screened? If they're sent to everyone do I need all my supporting documents in before I get it?

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Are secondaries sent to everyone or are they screened? If they're sent to everyone do I need all my supporting documents in before I get it?
They send the secondary to all who apply to McGovern after your primary app has been transmitted. You don't need to wait for all supporting docs. There is a $65 fee associated with the secondary app submission.

Reactions: chelseatn
Jan 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Rising MS2 here happy to answer any questions y'all may have!
Hi there! So I had a question regarding the first prompt for the secondary. It is very close to what our personal statement is asking for, how did you respond to this prompt without being repetitive? I am having a hard time figuring out an approach to this question without boring the admissions committee!

Thank you!

Reactions: red_tangoes
Jun 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there! So I had a question regarding the first prompt for the secondary. It is very close to what our personal statement is asking for, how did you respond to this prompt without being repetitive? I am having a hard time figuring out an approach to this question without boring the admissions committee!

Thank you!
im having the same issue

Jul 26, 2018

Thank you!
When I wrote this, I tried to focus on any experiences that helped me better understand the physician role or qualities I thought were important as a physician, which for me at least, is different from what motivated me to pursue medicine

• Love
Reactions: wysdoc

eljefemdfuturo

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

Thank you!
So we didn’t actually have to write secondaries the year I applied. But reading the advice others on this thread have given, I’d go with what they’re saying

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student

Thank you!
I'd like to reiterate some of the previous sentiments about this question. When answering this prompt, I tried to focus on what I wanted to do as a physician, not why I wanted to become a physician. For example, I'm primarily interested in academic medicine (research, resident and medical student education, etc.); with this in mind, part of my essay was spent talking about why I love research, and why I want to pursue it in the future. Another portion discussed experiences I had with my mentor that made me develop an affinity for teaching others and why medical education is so important. This is in contrast to my personal statement, which was geared towards experiences that helped me identify that medicine was the career path for me.

Best of luck!

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
What are they saying about CASPer on the secondary?
McGovern didn't use CA$$$$$Per last year; however this may not be the case this year..

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
Thank you. I see UT Health Sciences and I was under the impression it was UTH but I checked again and it is UTSA (Long).
Sure thing. Good luck this cycle!

Jan 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all!

Rising MS1 here, starting at McGovern in August. While I can't provide any information about the curriculum (seeing as I have yet to start classes), I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the school, interviewing here, or the application cycle as a whole! Best of luck to all of you.
Do you know the incoming class statistics?

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
Do you know the incoming class statistics?
Stats for the incoming 2019 class have yet to be released. The mean stats for the 2018 incoming class (those who recently finished their MS1 year) were as follows per MSAR: 3.86 GPA, 513 MCAT.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
Stats for the incoming 2019 class have yet to be released. The mean stats for the 2018 incoming class (those who recently finished their MS1 year) were as follows per MSAR: 3.86 GPA, 513 MCAT.
513 MCAT/3.86 GPA are average for people accepted that cycle
The current wrapped up MS1 class (aka matriculated) has a 511 MCAT/3.81 GPA.

Not a huge difference but notable

clutchtho

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Rising MS2 here happy to answer any questions y'all may have!
Hey!

Not sure if you would know how the app process works but might as well ask

basically if i submit sometime this week, prewrite secondaries, get secondaries once my primary is transmitted and submit them asap..lets say sometime like mid July.

Will they actually open my application if all the letters are not in?

Basically, i have 3 in right now and waiting for them to show up on tmdsas but my 4th is taking forever and the later he submits the longer it takes for tmdsas to verify. and if they won't open my app if they see the optional letter is missing, i might be better off just submitting the 3 i have and no more.

Or do you think this is something I should call the school about?

penicillinman

5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Hey!

basically if i submit sometime this week, prewrite secondaries, get secondaries once my primary is transmitted and submit them asap..lets say sometime like mid July.

Basically, i have 3 in right now and waiting for them to show up on tmdsas but my 4th is taking forever and the later he submits the longer it takes for tmdsas to verify. and if they won't open my app if they see the optional letter is missing, i might be better off just submitting the 3 i have and no more.

Pretty much the same situation as yours with my fourth letter pending. Also wondering if I should just remove this extra letter since three is really all that’s needed.

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
Hey!

In my experience, most medical schools will only review three letters at the time of your primary application submission, even if you send a fourth. From what I've heard from other applicants, the fourth letter is usually only used if you get waitlisted. I think you're best off submitting the three you have now so that you can get your application in as early as possible. Submit the fourth if you end up in a do-or-die situation, don't let it keep you from submitting your app ASAP.

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
In my experience, most medical schools will only review three letters at the time of your primary application submission, even if you send a fourth. From what I've heard from other applicants, the fourth letter is usually only used if you get waitlisted. I think you're best off submitting the three you have now so that you can get your application in as early as possible. Submit the fourth if you end up in a do-or-die situation, don't let it keep you from submitting your app ASAP.
I’m going to disagree with this advice because you cannot add new things to your TMDSAS file after October 1, and this is well before you would ever know you are waitlisted and in fact interviews in Texas are still going on through December and at some schools to Jan and Feb.

Reactions: eljefemdfuturo

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Aren't there only 3 letters in TMDSAS?
in TMDSAS you have the option to send a 4th letter. I think what some people are asking here is "should you include the name of the 4th letter writer if the letter isn't ready yet?" and I would advise not to do that. List your required 3 recommenders. When and if the 4th letter is locked down/ready, add a recommender via the procedures in the handbook.

Reactions: clutchtho

ped_inc

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Jul 20, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I’m also a rising MS1 (OOS) and am available to answer any questions y’all might have! Best of luck to you all.

Jun 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m also a rising MS1 (OOS) and am available to answer any questions y’all might have! Best of luck to you all.
As someone who has written the essays for this school, how would you go about approaching the first prompt without repeating information from the PS?

Who_Knows

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
As someone who has written the essays for this school, how would you go about approaching the first prompt without repeating information from the PS?
I second that. The PS prompt was "Explain your motivation to seek a career in medicine. Be sure to include the value of your experiences that prepare you to be a physician." and this one is "How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?"

These are almost the same prompts...

Nov 20, 2018
I second that. The PS prompt was "Explain your motivation to seek a career in medicine. Be sure to include the value of your experiences that prepare you to be a physician." and this one is "How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?"

These are almost the same prompts...
I'm also a rising MS1 and I'll share a bit on how I answered this.

The big difference here for me was I focused my personal statement on my motivations and life, leading to medicine. While I talked about my experiences, I did so in reflection of how that lead to my career choice.

For the secondary, I wrote it like a detailed version of my activities. I picked some meaningful experiences on my path to build an application and learn about the field. I elaborated a paragraph each about how that activity was related to medicine and what I gained from it that was applicable.

I hope that helps a bit.

Jun 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also a rising MS1 and I'll share a bit on how I answered this.

The big difference here for me was I focused my personal statement on my motivations and life, leading to medicine. While I talked about my experiences, I did so in reflection of how that lead to my career choice.

For the secondary, I wrote it like a detailed version of my activities. I picked some meaningful experiences on my path to build an application and learn about the field. I elaborated a paragraph each about how that activity was related to medicine and what I gained from it that was applicable.

I hope that helps a bit.
Thank you so much! It helped a lot!

ped_inc

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Jul 20, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
My personal statement was about my overall journey that inspired me to become a physician. In my personal statement I highlighted a bunch of different qualities I’ve developed and used stories to show how I developed them. I used the secondary prompt as a way to cover some additional qualities that i developed that I didn’t mention in my personal statement (due to character limit). I then used different stories not mentioned in my personal statement to highlight how I developed them.
So while the prompts are the same it doesn’t mean you have to write the same thing. You now have an additional opportunity to expand on the same topic and give information not included in your personal statement.