2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On your secondary did you also receive a video prompt of 5 minutes or less discussing 3 questions?
This wasn’t on my secondary... there was just one question which requires a 2 min video. Are you an ED applicant?
Yes, I think he is ED. I got the 5 min vid question and I am an ED applicant

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious how strict the 2 min length for the video response to the secondary app question is. My video/answer is closer to 3 min right now, so I will try to cut it down if needed

I'm curious how strict the 2 min length for the video response to the secondary app question is. My video/answer is closer to 3 min right now, so I will try to cut it down if needed

Mine last year was 2:20 roughly and I got an interview. I think you should cut it down a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application transmitted on June 10. When do ya'll think they will email me the secondary application??

My application transmitted on June 10. When do ya'll think they will email me the secondary application??

Took awhile for me and I was early May. But they sent it a few days after calling so I think they might have forgot to send it to me

For the learning experiences part 2 question asking to "describe an experience where you were in a position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction", would talking about my leadership in a pre-med org be considered unrelated to science or medicine if i talk about it purely in the sense of how i grew and the skills i developed, etc..? I'm not planning on discussing clinical skills or anything related to medicine really.

For the learning experiences part 2 question asking to "describe an experience where you were in a position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction", would talking about my leadership in a pre-med org be considered unrelated to science or medicine if i talk about it purely in the sense of how i grew and the skills i developed, etc..? I'm not planning on discussing clinical skills or anything related to medicine really.

Hm this is a tough question I don’t think I’d be able to answer confidently because I don’t want to tell you yes or no without knowing for sure! I’d try to call them and ask.

Hm this is a tough question I don’t think I’d be able to answer confidently because I don’t want to tell you yes or no without knowing for sure! I’d try to call them and ask.
I'm going to disagree with this advice, @NonTr4ditional. While a person could call and ask about technical aspects of the application at this point, calling to ask essentially "what should I write?" would not be the best strategy. If you were a leader to your group, think about how your leadership or accurate information benefitted the group.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to disagree with this advice, @NonTr4ditional. While a person could call and ask about technical aspects of the application at this point, calling to ask essentially "what should I write?" would not be the best strategy. If you were a leader to your group, think about how your leadership or accurate information benefitted the group.

Fair enough.

My video is currently 2:15 - I’m happy with it but don’t want to hurt my chances - ugh

Orientation just began July 1 for the incoming EY 2019. Amuse yourself by looking at their photos on Facebook while you wait for admissions staff to get back to business for next year’s applicants...

Looks like the class is 59 students this year

Yes, I was looking at the group earlier today. Did they indicate how many are from the valley?

A community service experience: (150 words)
A position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction: (150 words)
A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, such as fine arts, computer programming, web design, writing, etc.): (150 words)

For part 2, I might have misinterpreted the prompts. Instead of writing about some long-term experiences I had in undergraduate, I wrote about one certain day when I volunteered and how that experience impacted me for A, and then how I created a ceramics figure for a competition in highschool for C. Do you guys think I should keep these or rewrite?

Hi everyone I just received my interview invitation email. It says the interview date for EDP applicants is Tuesday, July 23

I called them, and they said it was a mistake. Its July 23rd. It will be on a Tuesday I believe.

My initial email said it was on June 23 but I called and they confirmed that it was a mistake.

Any reapplicants here that have some insight on how the interviews were at UTRGV?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten an email regarding the details for interview day?

Yes, got an email today. Looks like its a full day program 8:30-5. It should be on the same portal you used to complete your secondary

Do schools send invites in huge waves or after the initial wave they send them individually?
I've seen schools do it both ways. Some schools will send them out in batches following admissions committee meetings, others a steady trickle.

I've seen schools do it both ways. Some schools will send them out in batches following admissions committee meetings, others a steady trickle.

Gotcha, if schools don’t send you an interview invite before 2019 ends you can assume it’s a rejection correct? Trying to decide when is a good time to start panicking Transmitted in late May and had all secondaries and everything in by early June but I’ve been passed up by TCOM and all Texas MD schools that sent ii

Gotcha, if schools don’t send you an interview invite before 2019 ends you can assume it’s a rejection correct? Trying to decide when is a good time to start panicking Transmitted in late May and had all secondaries and everything in by early June but I’ve been passed up by TCOM and all Texas MD schools that sent ii
It's still really really early. Many TX schools only start reading the apps in July and the invitations begin in late July/early August.
Most schools are done interviewing by December, but a few carry on to January and Baylor always has 1 February day.
Also, not getting an interview yet does not mean you have been passed up. Only 3 Texas MDs and TCOM have sent invitations so far.

It's still really really early. Many TX schools only start reading the apps in July and the invitations begin in late July/early August.
Most schools are done interviewing by December, but a few carry on to January and Baylor always has 1 February day.
Also, not getting an interview yet does not mean you have been passed up. Only 3 Texas MDs and TCOM have sent invitations so far.

Thank you for the information! Will try to stay optimistic until December

Anyone knows how to contact them apart from emails? They have an error on their application that wouldn't allow me submit it. It's the "commercial MCAT prep course" question that asks about the term and year that I took the course. They don't have an option for 2019 in their dropdown menu. I tried contacting them through email but got no replies and they still haven't fixed it.

Anyone knows how to contact them apart from emails? They have an error on their application that wouldn't allow me submit it. It's the "commercial MCAT prep course" question that asks about the term and year that I took the course. They don't have an option for 2019 in their dropdown menu. I tried contacting them through email but got no replies and they still haven't fixed it.

Call?