2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Just received my secondary from UIWSOM. Two weeks to complete!

Essay Questions:

1. Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician. (200W)
2. UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission? (200W)
3. Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc. (200W)
4. If applicable, please answer the following:
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied? (200W)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today around 2:30 pm. AACOMAS verified 6/12. Good luck everyone!

Does this school have in-state bias?
I've already applied to all the schools I wanted...
Wondering if its worth it to throw my hat in here.
Would love to move to TX!

On their website it says for the incoming class is 72% Texas residents and 28% out of state, their class size online says 158 so thats about 44 out of state students. I got this from their frequently asked questions. heres the link: Frequently Asked Questions

On their website it says for the incoming class is 72% Texas residents and 28% out of state, their class size online says 158 so thats about 44 out of state students. I got this from their frequently asked questions. heres the link: Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks. The deeper my search, the more conflicted the answers got. On 1 hand, its private so shouldn't really have IS bias but on the other hand, its a TX school so...

yeah definite instate bias, but if you have above average mcat and GPA and good ex's you could definitely be the OOS that gets picked

OOS here. Got my secondary pretty quick. Received it today and was verified 6/20 (yesterday). Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, verified a few days ago, OOS, do they want a headshot or any business photo in a suit? Looks like I have to bust out the camera

Secondary received, verified a few days ago, OOS, do they want a headshot or any business photo in a suit? Looks like I have to bust out the camera
I did a headshot and just wore a professional/business looking blouse. guys, probably a nice button down and tie would be good. suit never hurts though

Bummed on still not getting a secondary instate too

I know it seems silly, but I was so gung-ho on sending my application in early I completely forgot to send my official MCAT score to AACOMAS until I realized my mistake earlier this week when I still hadn't received my secondary. Not saying you did the same thing but I would hate for someone else to miss out on getting their secondary soon by making a careless mistake like I did.

complete! Does anyone know any info about sending in new mcat scores (my test is july 13th) to schools you sent secondaries to? Do they get the scores immediately once you send them to aacomas or does it take weeks?

As far as the second question, is there supposed to be a faith centered response or are we supposed to relate our goals to the schools mission statement?

Reactions: 1 user
As far as the second question, is there supposed to be a faith centered response or are we supposed to relate our goals to the schools mission statement?
I think it's okay if you do the latter (that's what I did for the most part as well!) Good luck!!

I think it's okay if you do the latter (that's what I did for the most part as well!) Good luck!!
Okay thank you!! The mission statement is a doozie in itself isn't it? Love when they make these things so clear! Thank you and good luck to you too!!

For those of you who are interested. It says to register by July 12th

From the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio:

Greetings on behalf of the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)! We hope you are doing well and that you are enjoying the summer! This is to inform you of our next Preview Day!

What: UIWSOM Preview Day

When: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 10am-2pm (CST)

Where: 7615 Kennedy Hill, San Antonio, Texas, 78235

During these sessions we will review admission requirements and application procedures.

Participants will also have an opportunity to:
  • Preview our curriculum
  • Meet current learners
  • Attend a financial aid session
  • Take a campus tour
We will also have limited one-on-one advising sessions.

Amp

I answered the secondary questions without any mention of faith, went through the entire Interview Day without talking about faith, and I start school at UIWSOM in 12 days.

Reactions: 2 users
I answered the secondary questions without any mention of faith, went through the entire Interview Day without talking about faith, and I start school at UIWSOM in 12 days.
Awesome thank you!! Congrats and good luck!!

congrats!! may I ask what your stats were?

cGPA: 3.38 / sGPA: 3.33 / Postbacc: 3.42 / MCAT: 503 / Special Considerations: extensive volunteering with medically underserved, >2000 paid healthcare hours in an underserved field, pretty handsome

Academically I was a pretty underwhelming applicant, but I interviewed really well and I think they put a huge emphasis on mission fit.

cGPA: 3.38 / sGPA: 3.33 / Postbacc: 3.42 / MCAT: 503 / Special Considerations: extensive volunteering with medically underserved, >2000 paid healthcare hours in an underserved field, pretty handsome

Academically I was a pretty underwhelming applicant, but I interviewed really well and I think they put a huge emphasis on mission fit.

Do you think being handsome fit their mission? My mom always told me I would be a heartbreaker so I might need to mention that on my secondary.

Also were you OOS?

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think being handsome fit their mission? My mom always told me I would be a heartbreaker so I might need to mention that on my secondary.

Also were you OOS?
I would suggest leaving that out of the secondary so that when you show up to interview you absolutely blind side them with your good looks.

Also yes, I'm from Florida.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have any updates? Last year II started going out so let's hope this is the week.

II this morning as well. Submitted my secondary 6/24.

The only available dates to choose from are the 9th and 10th of August.

I submitted on 6/20 so should I assume a rejection? Do they send out emails for that as well?

I submitted on 6/20 so should I assume a rejection? Do they send out emails for that as well?

I wouldn't necessarily assume a rejection, I think they prioritize higher GPA/MCAT applicants first before doing a more comprehensive assessment of "lower stat" applicants! This is just a theory though haha.