2019-2020 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

According to last years prompts - Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

Do you think they want a specific situation? Like when you argued or debated w/ someone? Or do y'all think having a personal challenge that lasted over a couple of years can work here?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, UVA student here willing to answer any questions you might have about the school, the interview day, Charlottesville, or anything else related to applying!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
According to last years prompts - Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

Do you think they want a specific situation? Like when you argued or debated w/ someone? Or do y'all think having a personal challenge that lasted over a couple of years can work here?

I think the latter is more what they're looking for. Personal challenges you had to overcome, things like financial struggles, health issues experienced by you or a loved one, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, UVA student here willing to answer any questions you might have about the school, the interview day, Charlottesville, or anything else related to applying!

How do you like Charlottesville? Do you feel like there are enough things to do/ are you satisfied with the bar/restaurant scene?

How important is the college system in student life? I’m a big fan of college systems, but I know they need student buy-in to work well. Are you friends with a lot of your classmates/ do you tend to hang out to do non-school things together?

How do you like Charlottesville? Do you feel like there are enough things to do/ are you satisfied with the bar/restaurant scene?

How important is the college system in student life? I’m a big fan of college systems, but I know they need student buy-in to work well. Are you friends with a lot of your classmates/ do you tend to hang out to do non-school things together?

Cville is great. Lots of awesome restaurants and I love food (I'm not a foodie, I just like to eat). It's also great because it's got most of the amenities you'd expect of a bigger city but has a smaller feel to it. I'm not much of a bars guy, but a have a bunch of classmates who are and they love the local options. There's lots of outdoor stuff to do around here which I enjoy in particular. Shenandoah NP is like a 30 minute drive away, and there are trails all around closer to the city too. Some friends and I just went to see a local cave over the weekend. I went kayaking on the James river last summer.

College system is important to some degree. There's a sort of "college cup" competition they have in preclinical where you compete by participating in extracurriculars and in 1-2 academic type competitions during the different systems. You also have different flag football type bowls and stuff. That's really just for fun. Where it matters most for actual real life school implications is in 3rd year, as your college determines what order you do your rotations in. Everyone does all the same rotations, but the 4 colleges start on internal medicine, surgery, obgyn/peds, and psych/neuro/FM blocks respectively, and the order within those blocks is further broken down among the people in a college.

I know the vast majority of my classmates fairly well and do hang out with a decent number of them for non-school stuff. It's more like high school in that it's a big group of you who all do the same basic classes together, but you tend to spend the most time with the people you vibe with the most. Difference is that everyone is much nicer and more professional since we're not teenagers anymore, haha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answers these questions. Do you know if UVA is big on holistic review? It's my top choice for medical school, but my mcat was weak. The rest of my application is pretty strong and i have a 4.0.

They are generally pretty holistic without being too MCAT-obsessed for the most part, but it's hard to predict how it'll swing with any one applicant's case, and it depends on how weak you mean too. They do like clinical and service-oriented extracurriculars.

Just got the secondary!

Prompts:
1 - Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?
2 - How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?
3 - Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the secondary!

Prompts:
1 - Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?
2 - How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?
3 - Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

@PapaGuava

Thanks for posting the prompts! Looks like they didn't change.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the residency page, if I am OOS should I just put N/A for years/month? Or is it asking for years I am a citizen...?

Just went to double check everything before submitting, and what was once the VA residency page is now "References", asking me to identify 2 letter writers who know my research best.... anyone else having this issue? Seems like a question from the MD/PhD secondary, no?

Just went to double check everything before submitting, and what was once the VA residency page is now "References", asking me to identify 2 letter writers who know my research best.... anyone else having this issue? Seems like a question from the MD/PhD secondary, no?
Lol now it says the same for me. Guess they messed up the secondary a bit? Probably need to wait to submit....

Yah, it changed while I was in the middle of filling it out. Someone made an oopsy. I was like "Well, only one of my PIs is on my LORs so...my advisor sees me in the hallways with plates occasionally?"

Mine now shows that after I already submitted, but it showed something else when I was filling it out...

For some reason, the secondary application isn't letting me submit - it says that the "VA Residency" page is incomplete (even though it is complete, but it's also now showing the "Letter Writers" page that others are seeing now which also seems to be an error). I e-mailed them but hoping it gets fixed soon

For some reason, the secondary application isn't letting me submit - it says that the "VA Residency" page is incomplete (even though it is complete, but it's also now showing the "Letter Writers" page that others are seeing now which also seems to be an error). I e-mailed them but hoping it gets fixed soon
Seconded - VA residency tab is still on the left scroll bar but is not a part of the 1 - 2 - 3 etc bar for steps to take. I filled out the weird references thing but it is still marked incomplete and I am unable to submit. Will ignore and check later in the day. Probably reach out to UVA..

VA resident issue fixed. Not seeing anywhere for an additional checklist with LORs, fee, submitted etc. for completion....They are still putting their secondary site together, it looks like.

VA resident issue fixed. Not seeing anywhere for an additional checklist with LORs, fee, submitted etc. for completion....They are still putting their secondary site together, it looks like.
Yeah, I was able to successfully submit and they just sent an email saying I would receive a complete email when everything was in. Wondering if that status check is not a feature of their secondary site...

Who needs to check the status of their application? Just trust the system /s
Yeah, I was able to successfully submit and they just sent an email saying I would receive a complete email when everything was in. Wondering if that status check is not a feature of their secondary site...

If you were a UVA alumni, do you fill out yourself for "relatives at UVA"? Or is it only for other people lol
(secondary received)

If you were a UVA alumni, do you fill out yourself for "relatives at UVA"? Or is it only for other people lol
(secondary received)
I would assume other people lol They already know you went there when reviewing your primary. Or, you can throw it in their “Why UVA” essay

Anyone notice that the challenge essay is 340 words? You think that's a typo? My essay is 350 words perfectly...

I just submitted and received a confirmation email of my submission, but while I was filling out the secondary, I did not see the VA residency tab that everyone is referring to. The only time I was asked about residency was on the "intro" page, which asked me to select "yes" or "no" if VA was my legal state of residence per my AMCAS app. To VA residents - did you have to do anything else?

I just submitted and received a confirmation email of my submission, but while I was filling out the secondary, I did not see the VA residency tab that everyone is referring to. The only time I was asked about residency was on the "intro" page, which asked me to select "yes" or "no" if VA was my legal state of residence per my AMCAS app. To VA residents - did you have to do anything else?
It’s because they sent out a secondary and then they changed it while people were still feeling it out. So the residency tab is not there anymore. It’s wack

is it weird im not getting a complete email after submission
I haven’t gotten a complete email yet either, just an email acknowledging my secondary submission. I imagine they’re just taking their time downloading and processing letters from amcas, I wouldn’t worry

Same here. They don’t even have like an LOR/complete type menu on there...
I think given n=2, they must be doing completion manually. i also hear that they give out II realy early, so i wouldnt be suprised if they check for completion while also simultaneously putting people on shortlist for II depending on qualifications. Never know!

I think given n=2, they must be doing completion manually. i also hear that they give out II realy early, so i wouldnt be suprised if they check for completion while also simultaneously putting people on shortlist for II depending on qualifications. Never know!
Here’s hoping! I love early interviews and UVA is in my top 5 outside of my state schools

Anyone complete yet? Submitted within an hour of getting it two days ago, letters assigned 10 days ago. Still no word on completion and no way to check.

So I received the email confirming completion of my application, and in it, it provides a link to complete the Virginia Instate Educational Privileges form, which they note must be completed prior to receiving an interview. However, I clicked the link and it says page not found. Did this happen to anyone else?