PapaGuava

The Real PG
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Florida
Status
Medical Student
UW has their secondary application prompts posted for the coming application cycle on their website:

Autobiographical statement that includes (250-word limit):

• The origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
  • Your prior experiences in healthcare
  • Steps taken to explore a career in medicine
  • Your eventual goals as a physician
  • Personal attributes that would make you a good physician
Please do not repeat what you wrote in your AMCAS Personal Comments (this will already be on file with our office). If you have already covered all of the above topics in your AMCAS application, use this space to let the Admissions Committee know more about who you are in addition to being someone who wants to be a physician

4 additional short essays (250-word limit each)

• How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
  • What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
  • What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
  • How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Washington

Last edited by a moderator:

MemeLord

Man-Frog, Lord of the Knarly ‘Trip’
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
@Matthew9Thirtyfive pre-allo moderator tagged.

UW has their secondary application prompts posted for the coming application cycle on their website:

Autobiographical statement that includes (250-word limit):

• The origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
  • Your prior experiences in healthcare
  • Steps taken to explore a career in medicine
  • Your eventual goals as a physician
  • Personal attributes that would make you a good physician
Please do not repeat what you wrote in your AMCAS Personal Comments (this will already be on file with our office). If you have already covered all of the above topics in your AMCAS application, use this space to let the Admissions Committee know more about who you are in addition to being someone who wants to be a physician

4 additional short essays (250-word limit each)

• How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
  • What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
  • What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
  • How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive
Apr 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Quick question about verifying that you are a resident of WA. I did my undergrad in Utah but I've done my best to maintain residency in Washington. I have a permanent WA address, I have a WA driver's license, I vote in WA and I maintain a bank account in WA. However, because I work in UT, I have been paying UT taxes and the vehicle I purchased here is registered in UT.
Will this cause me an issue when verifying residency in Washington? Should I try to re-register my vehicle in Washington?

MemeLord

Man-Frog, Lord of the Knarly ‘Trip’
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Quick question about verifying that you are a resident of WA. I did my undergrad in Utah but I've done my best to maintain residency in Washington. I have a permanent WA address, I have a WA driver's license, I vote in WA and I maintain a bank account in WA. However, because I work in UT, I have been paying UT taxes and the vehicle I purchased here is registered in UT.
Will this cause me an issue when verifying residency in Washington? Should I try to re-register my vehicle in Washington?
If you have Washington as your legal state of residence then you should be Bueno.

Reactions: cteames
Jun 18, 2018
The taxes may be an issue. Best to contact UW directly.

Residence Certification | UW Medicine

From the UW website:

If you are asked to verify your legal residence, you may need to submit the following documents that could include but are not limited to:

• Proof of employment
  • Driver's license/state ID
  • Vehicle registration
  • Voter registration
  • Proof of an established bank account
  • Verification from the out-of-state college or university that they were enrolled as a nonresident and paid nonresident tuition. (If you were enrolled in a private school, provide verification of enrollment.)
  • A true and correct copy of your state and federal income tax return for the calendar year immediately prior to the year in which this application is made. If you did not file a state or federal income tax return because of minimal or no taxable income, documented information concerning the receipt of such nontaxable income must be submitted.
  • A true and correct copy of your W2 form filed for the previous calendar year.
  • Other documented financial resources. Such other resources may include but are not limited to: the sale of personal or real property, trust fund, state or financial assistance, gifts, or earnings of the spouse of a married student.
These documents should be on hand and ready to submit to the Residency Classification Office upon request. Washington residents are strongly encouraged to submit the State Questionnaire section on the Secondary Application before November 1st.

Reactions: cteames
Mar 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If I can't take Casper until the 25th, will this delay or decrease my chances of getting a secondary or interview invitation? I'm applying for the MSTP

Jun 18, 2018
If I can't take Casper until the 25th, will this delay or decrease my chances of getting a secondary or interview invitation? I'm applying for the MSTP
Hey, I'm taking it the 25th too! A UW admissions rep said that CASPer is still in the pilot phase for 2020 matriculants, so while applicants to UW have to take it at some point, it's not going to be factored into admission decisions. I can't imagine that they would delay an interview invite based on something they're still piloting. Also, secondaries should be given automatically if you meet the GPA/MCAT cutoffs (which are very low).

Reactions: babykarat