2019-2020 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary Received! Prompts are the same as last year. IS cannot submit until August.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you to get the email to create a password?

Almost instantly but they sent me two and the first one didn't work. I think there might be something not quite right there, I would give it at least an hour before worrying.

What should we write for the optional essay? I'm OOS and want to write about how my job experience and upbringing, but they do suggest that OOS applicants talk about why they're applying to UW. It'll sort of sound awkward if I talk about my experiences and then suddenly go on about why I'm applying to Madison

Members don't see this ad :)
What should we write for the optional essay? I'm OOS and want to write about how my job experience and upbringing, but they do suggest that OOS applicants talk about why they're applying to UW. It'll sort of sound awkward if I talk about my experiences and then suddenly go on about why I'm applying to Madison

I had a tough time deciding this too. At the end of the day, they are only providing you with examples of what you can write on. I think you should ask yourself what's one more thing that you feel is essential for them to know about you that perhaps isn't reflected elsewhere in your primary app or in the secondary.

When do interviews start to go out?
I think a bit later than most other schools since IS applications aren't allowed to submit their secondary until August 17. I would guess, given their strong IS bias, that they wouldn't want their too many of their early interview days to be OOS dominated.

Can any current student, or someone who is familiar, comment on the class format? Are they mainly lecture based? or active learning?

OOS with strong ties to the state and school.
Verified and secondary received 7/18/19
Secondary submitted and complete 7/28/19

Anyone know if you can change your mind on applying to the MD-MPH program? Might be interested but not certain if I should check that one box

Does anyone know if we could submit more than 4 LORs? The website does not indicate the max number that we can send. I have a strong letter that I want to include in the decision but already sent 4.

I accidentally submitted 5 LOR and emailed them afterwards. The very nice people at the admissions office told me not to worry and that they often review 5-6 letters per applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
On the LGBTQ+ question should I answer “yes” as an ally of the community?

On the LGBTQ+ question should I answer “yes” as an ally of the community?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. If you identify as LGBTQ+, then you are saying you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, etc, and can be considered a member of the LGBTQ+ community. A straight person can support the LGBTQ+ community. That does not mean they identify with any of the orientations.

As another example: A white person believing in equality does not identify as URM on the basis that they support minority communities.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. If you identify as LGBTQ+, then you are saying you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, etc, and can be considered a member of the LGBTQ+ community. A straight person can support the LGBTQ+ community. That does not mean they identify with any of the orientations.

As another example: A white person believing in equality does not identify as URM on the basis that they support minority communities.
Thanks! I just know that often times the + included ally. For instance LGBTQIA can include ally as one of the A’s. That’s where I was confused. I didn’t want to answer “no” to the question on the secondary and have it confused for me not supporting the community.

It's worth knowing the A is for asexual, not ally. Most people within the community do not agree with the A being used for ally. Allies do not face the experience of LGTBQIA people. If you don't identify as LGBTQIA, don't respond. As a physician, its kinda expected that you're an ally.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when they start sending out II?

Not anytime soon. Wisconsin residents can't submit until the 17th, and I'm pretty sure they won't send out II before their own state's residents can apply

Last year the first IIs were on 8/30 for MSTP and 9/5 for MD.

For IS applicants, is the "residency application" section of the secondary still incomplete? I'm thinking that becomes available on the 17th but just want to double check

For IS applicants, is the "residency application" section of the secondary still incomplete? I'm thinking that becomes available on the 17th but just want to double check

Yes, mine is the same. On August 17th the "residency application" becomes available and that's when you can submit your proof of residency and the application as a whole. Until then, that section will remain incomplete.

Are any IS applicants struggling to complete the "residency application" page of the application? I can't certify my application without completing the page. Do we just need to wait until midnight or am I missing part of the verification process here?

Are any IS applicants struggling to complete the "residency application" page of the application? I can't certify my application without completing the page. Do we just need to wait until midnight or am I missing part of the verification process here?

Just submitted. So yes, it did not open until midnight.

Hello M1 here,
I would just like to avail myself to any of you who might have any questions with a big Caveat that classes don’t actually start till Monday (19th August) so I cannot speak to that yet.
Also, because next week is orientation, I might not be on here a lot but do fire away with any questions you might have and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

Can any current student, or someone who is familiar, comment on the class format? Are they mainly lecture based? or active learning?

Current student - I'd say a mix. Lectures are recorded and not mandatory, Happy to answer any other questions or give more specifics.

II 30 mins ago! Complete 7/16, LizzyM <70, OOS, URM. They gave me a date I can't attend lol

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! You didn't get to choose a date on a calendar? I've had this issue with schools that offer multiple dates and a call cleared it up quickly.

This is exciting. One of my top choices. I wonder if they send out all IIs at once for the ones today or they do it throughout the day? Hoping for that II.

Mine as well! Absolute top choice. Would give me left arm to be back in the great city of Madison. OOS so I'm praying for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here as well (M2), making myself available if anyone has questions about the process/interview day/UWSMPH specific curriculum or life questions. Feel free to DM

rejected pre II, OOS, ORM, LM=70. Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear. Complete date? Dang, the massacre is happening.

Its all gooood. At least my state schools are showing me some love. Complete the first week of july I believe

Its all gooood. At least my state schools are showing me some love. Complete the first week of july I believe
Thanks. Good luck with the rest of the cycle. Im sure you’ll get in somewhere great. U Wisconsin is a long shot for almost every OOS.

Got to feel what its like to get that first big R today! Really love this school, but time for me to move on...

Got to feel what its like to get that first big R today! Really love this school, but time for me to move on...
Sorry to hear. Complete date? Just want to gauge if they are going according to completion date. Thanks

OOS R, LM=80. I really liked this school but greatly appreciate the early notification, it’s useful to know where I’m not wanted haha