2019-2020 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.
Word Limit:500

The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself.

Additional Comments (optional):

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Vermont

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haven't gotten a secondary yet, but from last year's prompt, what are you guys writing for the "additional comments?" There's so much room so I don't know if I should write a "why Larner COM," or just a little bit about what I'm doing this upcoming year?

Haven't gotten a secondary yet, but from last year's prompt, what are you guys writing for the "additional comments?" There's so much room so I don't know if I should write a "why Larner COM," or just a little bit about what I'm doing this upcoming year?

Gonna do a plans for this year. I wouldnt do a why UVM unless it was more substantial than your typical stuff, aka family etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna do a plans for this year. I wouldnt do a why UVM unless it was more substantial than your typical stuff, aka family etc

That's what I was thinking. And since there's no other spot to talk about that info (unless they add something) then it might be better

That's what I was thinking. And since there's no other spot to talk about that info (unless they add something) then it might be better
Yeah, I was also going to use this spot to outline my plans for the upcoming year, in part explaining that I'll be thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail this spring.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I was also going to use this spot to outline my plans for the upcoming year, in part explaining that I'll be thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail this spring.

Just had to brag to us huh. So jealous

Reactions: 1 user

I was actually hoping to do the same this spring, but it looks like it probably won't happen for me. When are you starting / planning to finish?

I was actually hoping to do the same this spring, but it looks like it probably won't happen for me. When are you starting / planning to finish?
I'm registered to officially start at Springer Mountain on February 22nd. I'll be hiking to raise money on behalf of the National Hospice Foundation and the Alzheimer's Association. I expect to finish in 100-110 days, with a hard cut-off of June 20th. However this end date might have to be manipulated depending on how the cycle goes...

Secondary Received!

Essays

Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.

The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself.

Additional Comments (optional):

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 2 users
@PapaGuava

Ugh I am sick of these schools tweaking the diversity prompt so that it is SLIIIIGHTLYYY different from all the others. What are everyone's thoughts on this...using your typical diversity or focusing on this person/group of people thing?

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh I am sick of these schools tweaking the diversity prompt so that it is SLIIIIGHTLYYY different from all the others. What are everyone's thoughts on this...using your typical diversity or focusing on this person/group of people thing?

This is definitely different from the typical diversity essay imo.

So should we only do ONE experience? Would it be straying from the prompt to do multiple?

Members don't see this ad :)
so how deep are we going in about this speeding ticket?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
so how deep are we going in about this speeding ticket?
lol, that secondary has definitely kept me at the speed limit for the past couple months.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
lol, that secondary has definitely kept me at the speed limit for the past couple months.

Hahah right, I mean they say within the past 5 years and I got one like 2 years ago. I mean they don’t tell you what to describe so can I withhold the actual speed?

Hahah right, I mean they say within the past 5 years and I got one like 2 years ago. I mean they don’t tell you what to describe so can I withhold the actual speed?
What's this question exactly asking?

For residency history do they just want states? Or addresses? Or nothing if not Vermont?

For residency history do they just want states? Or addresses? Or nothing if not Vermont?
I just reported my state residency history with the years I established residency in each state.

I just reported my state residency history with the years I established residency in each state.

OK, that's what I was thinking, too. It's a long list for me!

Wow I have a speeding ticket I guess I'm wildly irresponsible haha

“Speeding ticket within the past five years?” Yes or no

“Speeding ticket description” and a 500 word box to describe

I think they just want you to put the approximate dates.

For the challenge essay, does it have to be a singular event or can it be something more broad such as a struggle or fear you faced?

For the challenge essay, does it have to be a singular event or can it be something more broad such as a struggle or fear you faced?
I think it depends on how you write the essay, a singular event is probably easier because you can be more specific about the description of the event, steps you took to overcome it, and what you learned etc. I think you could also use a struggle or fear, as long as you can be specific about what I listed in the previous sentence.....hopefully that makes sense!

Submitted; anyone else having trouble with having there letters as marked not received even though you can clearly see them in the document status?

For the residency status, I've technically been a resident in one state my entire life, but in the FAQ it says to list places you have lived. Would this include the state of my undergraduate university, even though I would usually come home during breaks?

For the residency status, I've technically been a resident in one state my entire life, but in the FAQ it says to list places you have lived. Would this include the state of my undergraduate university, even though I would usually come home during breaks?
That's what I put

Is everyone filling the essays with 500 words? I have quality essays that are not anywhere near 500, thoughts? Also, any further opinions on the residency history "essay" (500 words) lol.....

I would (fluff) bet that (fluff) most adcoms would greatly (fluff) prefer a very (fluff) concise essay vs adding a ton of extra (fluff) fluff & verbiage (fluff) to get to the stated maximum limit (fluff) 500 words.

vs:

I bet most adcoms would prefer a concise essay vs adding fluff to reach 500 words.

Which one reads better?

That said if there is something that is truly noteworthy, then use it.

I would (fluff) bet that (fluff) most adcoms would greatly (fluff) prefer a very (fluff) concise essay vs adding a ton of extra (fluff) fluff & verbiage (fluff) to get to the stated maximum limit (fluff) 500 words.

vs:

I bet most adcoms would prefer a concise essay vs adding fluff to reach 500 words.

Which one reads better?

That said if there is something that is truly noteworthy, then use it.
I like where your head is at!!!!