2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if VCU allows you to change to VA state residency after starting and received IS tuition in the following years, or are you locked into your OOS tuition status?
they don’t. just spoke to some students that were originally from VA and went to school out of state and then retuned for med school and still had to pay outstate tuition lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have access to the MSAR? Curious to see how many OOS students are interviewed and end up matriculating. Waiting for Monday...

Anyone have access to the MSAR? Curious to see how many OOS students are interviewed and end up matriculating. Waiting for Monday...
300 interviewed OOS, 74 matriculates

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The post ii acceptance rate for OOS is 61.85%. So you have a good shot

The post ii acceptance rate for OOS is 61.85%. So you have a good shot
Hey guys I am so sorry to be the debbie downer again. But those numbers are from two cycles ago not this last cycle. Last year about 300 acceptances were given and over 700 interviews were given. The Post-II acceptance rate is more in the 40 percent now than 60 percent. I have cited my sources from @Dean Mission on previous pages if you all are interested. And realistically it is about 25% on December 16th because there are usually 200 on hold for acceptance for 50 acceptances. That ultimate number includes total acceptances with wait list. About 200 acceptances are given over the 4 dates and 100 from the waitlist.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I am so sorry to be the debbie downer again. But those numbers are from two cycles ago not this last cycle. Last year about 300 acceptances were given and over 700 interviews were given. The Post-II acceptance rate is more in the 40 percent now than 60 percent. I have cited my sources from @Dean Mission on previous pages if you all are interested. And realistically it is about 25% on December 16th because there are usually 200 on hold for acceptance for 50 acceptances. That ultimate number includes total acceptances with wait list. About 200 acceptances are given over the 4 dates and 100 from the waitlist.
However, everyone, this is the important take home message. The Post-II percentages have no affect on whether you get in or not. Your percentage of getting in is 100 percent or 0 percent. How others did does not affect your score, your score was determined independently of others. The committee sat their, had someone present your full application, and voted on just you !! So do not think about those numbers and just be hopeful that you killed it in the interview.

However, everyone, this is the important take home message. The Post-II percentages have no affect on whether you get in or not. Your percentage of getting in is 100 percent or 0 percent. How others did does not affect your score, your score was determined independently of others. The committee sat their, had someone present your full application, and voted on just you !! So do not think about those numbers and just be hopeful that you killed it in the interview.
While this is healthy for a mindset going into an interview, this just isn't true. The post-II acceptance rates directly correlate to the competitiveness of admission therefore influencing your chance of getting in.

While this is healthy for a mindset going into an interview, this just isn't true. The post-II acceptance rates directly correlate to the competitiveness of admission therefore influencing your chance of getting in.
Im not arguing that. Im not trying to get into a debate, but if the post-II acceptance rate is 50 percent that does not mean you have a 50 percent chance of getting in. That is not how statistics works. I am not saying that if you are interviewing at a school with a 30 percent post II it is just as easy to get into a school with a post II rate of 50%. All I am saying is take the percentages with a grain of salt.

Placed on hold for a possible acceptance on one of the acceptance dates this evening. Good to know I didn’t bomb the interview lol. I really enjoyed my interview day here!

I think what Talldoctor96 is trying to say is that these percentages are helpful in getting a general sense of acceptance at the school, but that may not apply to you if you are an exceptional interviewer (or the opposite). Your actual chances aren't an average of everyone else's performance but rather your own alone.

I think what Talldoctor96 is trying to say is that these percentages are helpful in getting a general sense of acceptance at the school, but that may not apply to you if you are an exceptional interviewer (or the opposite). Your actual chances aren't an average of everyone else's performance but rather your own alone.
Damn I could have used you in undergrad, clearly I’m not the best writer but you articulated that perfectly!

• Haha
Damn I could have used you in undergrad, clearly I’m not the best writer but you articulated that perfectly!

Thank you for the compliment. :)

I'd like to think that all the secondary writing from this cycle has primed my amateur writing skills. :laugh:

If you get tabs will you get a status change email or do you have to check the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get tabs will you get a status change email or do you have to check the portal?
If you are accepted you will get a status change email at 6:05 pm. Tabs will come before that -- sometimes early in the day, sometimes later it depends. But tabs will precede any official notification. And one rule that holds true is that everyone gets the tabs at the same time. Everytime theres someone that says don't worry, tabs dont mean everything or that more tabs might be coming. But everytime they all come out at the same time.

• Haha
Does anyone know how much financial aid/scholarships OOS students get from VCU?

If you are accepted you will get a status change email at 6:05 pm. Tabs will come before that -- sometimes early in the day, sometimes later it depends. But tabs will precede any official notification. And one rule that holds true is that everyone gets the tabs at the same time. Everytime theres someone that says don't worry, tabs dont mean everything or that more tabs might be coming. But everytime they all come out at the same time.
Does anyone know if it's 6:05 pm eastern time?

No tabs but I got a bunch of stuff about transcripts, in-state eligibility, and VCU ID number on my main page. Don't know what that means. If you have tabs, mind putting a screen grab? With pertinent information blocked of course.

No tabs but I got a bunch of stuff about transcripts, in-state eligibility, and VCU ID number on my main page. Don't know what that means. If you have tabs, mind putting a screen grab? With pertinent information blocked of course.
I think that’s tabs. So congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
So if we don’t have tabs right now does that mean we got deferred?

So if we don’t have tabs right now does that mean we got deferred?
Not necessarily! I got accepted on the December date last year and didn't get any tabs until almost 7 pm after other people had already seen theirs. Good luck!

Not necessarily! I got accepted on the December date last year and didn't get any tabs until almost 7 pm after other people had already seen theirs. Good luck!

At any point, will there be an explicit acceptance sent? I don't like inferring what tabs mean or do not mean. I feel like this is just feeding my neuroticism.

At any point, will there be an explicit acceptance sent? I don't like inferring what tabs mean or do not mean. I feel like this is just feeding my neuroticism.
Yes. But nothing to be neurotic about. DeanMission has clearly stated tabs mean an acceptance is coming your way. But don’t worry, you get an explicit acceptance offer.

i’m so confused, i was placed on hold but i literally just interviewed last Thursday. I was expecting a February decision :confused:

6:05 PM has come and gone with no change so... guess that's a no for me! :meh:

6:05 PM has come and gone with no change so... guess that's a no for me! :meh:
Same here. Kinda ridiculous they make us wait months for this day..only to receive no status change or any notification and ultimately making us wait even longer.

Accepted. “Tabs” is a real thing. Interviewed 11/5. OOS LM68.5

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 10/17, no tabs, no email :( Congrats to all those accepted!!

i’m so confused, i was placed on hold but i literally just interviewed last Thursday. I was expecting a February decision :confused:

I just interviewed on Thursday too and am “on hold.” I was under the impression that it’s not a waitlist or anything, just an acknowledgment that our application has undergone initial review. Anyone correct me if I’m wrong but I think we will get more info regarding acceptances vs waitlist vs rejection in February

I just interviewed on Thursday too and am “on hold.” I was under the impression that it’s not a waitlist or anything, just an acknowledgment that our application has undergone initial review. Anyone correct me if I’m wrong but I think we will get more info regarding acceptances vs waitlist vs rejection in February
i believe you’re right. i read over the thread last year and it seems like everyone gets that update after interviewing if they don’t flat out reject you so ig it’s a good sign!

so if nothing has changed on your portal... you got passed up for acceptance correct?

II on 1/7/2020! So soon and so excited.