2019-2020 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

1. How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

2. What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? What have you learned from these experiences?

3. Describe your connections to Washington communities and your interests in practicing medicine in Washington.

4. How have you built your resilience?

5. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.

6. If you are a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for our medical school. If you are not a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, please leave blank.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Washington State University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IS applicant here; WSU is by far one of my top choices for this cycle. I'd love it if any current students could provide some feedback on their experiences here thus far!

Wow WSU is fast on the secondaries, they're my first one. The prompts don't seem to have changed from last year.

Please respond to each essay below (each <300 words):

1. How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

2. What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? What have you learned from these experiences?

3. Describe your connections to Washington communities and your interests in practicing medicine in Washington.

5. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.

6. If you are a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for our medical school. If you are not a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, please leave blank.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email asking for residency verification as I don't meet 3/4 of their criteria. Hoping to get this back asap!

Last edited:
Got an email asking for residency verification as I don't meet 3/4 of their criteria. Hoping to get this back ASAP. Super hopeful about this school!

I'm an incoming M1 and I received the same residency verification email saying I didn't meet 3/4 criteria. I am a WA state resident and it didn't take long for them to verify me once I sent everything in. I think a couple weeks, if that.

I'm an incoming M1 and I received the same residency verification email saying I didn't meet 3/4 criteria. I am a WA state resident and it didn't take long for them to verify me once I sent everything in. I think a couple weeks, if that.

Thanks for the reply! I had a few questions about one of the forms so I just sent them an email.

Just a quick question: do you find that most of the incoming students have been lifelong WA residents? I assume that's likely to be the case simply due to those applicants outnumbering those who may have moved here more recently. But i guess I'm mostly curious if they may prefer those applicants, all else being equal?

Last edited:
I received the request for residency verification as well, which requires me to dig up a ton of documentation, and that might take me a day or two to sort out.

So it sounds like I will NOT receive a secondary until my residency is verified, correct?

Thanks for the reply! I had a few questions about one of the forms so I just sent them an email.

Just a quick question: do you find that most of the incoming students have been lifelong WA residents? I assume that's likely to be the case simply due to those applicants outnumbering those who may have moved here more recently. But i guess I'm mostly curious if they may prefer those applicants, all else being equal?

No I didn’t find that most students were lifelong WA residents. I was born and raised in another state. I met quite a few other students who were born in WA but had left for education or job opportunities. The school is more interested in hearing about your ties to the communities here in WA, and they want to train physicians who will stay and practice in WA.

I received the request for residency verification as well, which requires me to dig up a ton of documentation, and that might take me a day or two to sort out.

So it sounds like I will NOT receive a secondary until my residency is verified, correct?

I didn’t receive my secondary last cycle until I turned in all residency documentation and it was verified, but I’m not sure if it was like that for everyone else.

How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

Vision: Inspiring people to solve problems in challenging healthcare environments.

Mission: The ESFCOM will be a unique resource for the State of Washington, converging on solutions to the healthcare triple aim of improving patient experience of care, keeping populations healthy, and decreasing the cost of care, all while improving the work life of healthcare providers. Through a culture based on

Changed from last year. Darn

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid the fee - anyone know how long it takes to process? Odd that it is a separate web page...

Edit- application complete 7/2/2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my proof of residency packet approved this afternoon and received a secondary soon after! For reference I submitted it on 6/29. Super thankful for their quick turnaround time. So excited for this school!

Anyone else not receive a secondary?

Anyone else not receive a secondary?

Are you a WA resident and/or meet the 3/4 criteria for state ties? If so, you should've either gotten a secondary or request to submit a residency questionnaire packet to prove state residency.

You also need the following to receive a secondary. Further info from their site here.

- Meet one of three GPA/MCAT Thresholds (they're quite generous with these)
- All LOR already received by AMCAS

If you've already qualified for all of the above, I'd just send them a quick email. They've been very nice and responsive when I emailed them about a question.

Just submitted my secondary! :thumbup:to everyone - we all got this!

Anyone know when we can expect II? I know they start interviews like first or second week of august...This is the only one I can drive to!!! lol

I think last year they began around the third week of July, and given that they're starting interviews in August again this year, we can probably expect something similar :D . I'm in western WA myself, but I'd love to take a drive with my wife to Spokane if I get an II!
I-90 is the fastest, Highway 20 is the prettiest, through the gorge offers lots of stops for waterfall hikes if you want to make it a whole day event, Highway 2 is overrated lol

Reactions: 1 users
I-90 is the fastest, Highway 20 is the prettiest, through the gorge offers lots of stops for waterfall hikes if you want to make it a whole day event, Highway 2 is overrated lol

Hwy 2 has cops in Douglass County who will give you speeding tickets!

• Love
I love this! I was wanting to plan some fun stuff to do when I have to make the trek over there.

I love this! I was wanting to plan some fun stuff to do when I have to make the trek over there.
Highway 20 is def the best IMHO. You pass by Mt. Baker on your way North, through North cascades National Park cut diagonally to link up with highway 2 and stop at grand coulee. This is Obv an all day 15 hour excursion lol

Hoping we start hearing some news this week! I think the first II's went out on 7/19 last cycle. :happy:

What days do they have available for interviews, if you don't mind me asking.
The first was August 26 then 9/9 then it looked like Monday’s and Friday’s after that. I do not quite remember as I only briefly looked at the rest before scheduling mine

The first was August 26 then 9/9 then it looked like Monday’s and Friday’s after that. I do not quite remember as I only briefly looked at the rest before scheduling mine

Awesome, congrats! Can't wait until they start sending more out, I'm really hoping for one!

Awesome, congrats! Can't wait until they start sending more out, I'm really hoping for one!
It is a really great school! Did you attend any of their annual Premed meetings/are you a local Spokanite?

They should be rolling them out in waves here soon i think.

I am from Vancouver and attend school out of state, so I haven't had the chance. I'm really impressed with the school though, based on what I've learned and the contact I've had. I submitted my secondary on 7/3, hopefully I get one soon!

Hopefully this won't happen to you but I received a residency verification request despite being a resident of the state for many years. I had to dig up tons of documentation to prove that, yes, I am a legal longtime resident of the state. I also attended an out of state undergrad, and I wonder if that triggered the extra layer of scrutiny.

If this happens you won't receive a secondary until the residency verification is complete, which could take a couple weeks. Jump on it right away if this happens.

ETA: reading comprehension is hard, this obviously doesn't apply for those who have already submitted secondaries. But to anyone who is still awaiting a secondary, this might apply.

Last edited:
Hopefully this won't happen to you but I received a residency verification request despite being a resident of the state for many years. I had to dig up tons of documentation to prove that, yes, I am a legal longtime resident of the state. I also attended an out of state undergrad, and I wonder if that triggered the extra layer of scrutiny.

If this happens you won't receive a secondary until the residency verification is complete, which could take a couple weeks. Jump on it right away if this happens.
Yah, they Really are not playing with that Washington resident part

Sounds like that user already submitted their secondary so I assume they’re past that stage. Also I believe they send the residency questionnaire to every applicant that claims Washington residency but doesn’t meet the 3/4 criteria on their site. This was also the case for me, as I was neither born in Washington nor attended high school here.

Sounds like that user already submitted their secondary so I assume they’re past that stage. Also I believe they send the residency questionnaire to every applicant that claims Washington residency but doesn’t meet the 3/4 criteria on their site. This was also the case for me, as I was neither born in Washington nor attended high school here.

Oh, duh. Missed that part where the secondary was already submitted, nevermind then!

ETA: reading comprehension is hard, this obviously doesn't apply for those who have already submitted secondaries. But to anyone who is still awaiting a secondary, this might apply.

Yeah, I sure hope it doesn't delay me too much. I meet 3/4 of the requirements, I just wasn't born in Washington. Have a childhood address, parents still live there, and graduated from high school there. I've also retained my residency status to the best of my knowledge. My drivers license is still Washington, I have an active bank account in WA, my car registration is in a Washington, I have voter registration in Washington, etc. Hopefully that's all enough.

Yeah, I sure hope it doesn't delay me too much. I meet 3/4 of the requirements, I just wasn't born in Washington. Have a childhood address, parents still live there, and graduated from high school there. I've also retained my residency status to the best of my knowledge. My drivers license is still Washington, I have an active bank account in WA, my car registration is in a Washington, I have voter registration in Washington, etc. Hopefully that's all enough.

No no no, you're fine. I'm a dummy who couldn't properly read your original post.

If you've already received a secondary, then you are an Official Washingtonian according to WSU. They wouldn't have sent you one if there were questions about your status. Go forth with confidence.

No no no, you're fine. I'm a dummy who couldn't properly read your original post.

If you've already received a secondary, then you are an Official Washingtonian according to WSU. They wouldn't have sent you one if there were questions about your status. Go forth with confidence.

Nah you're good!! What a relief!

Anyone get an interview offer yet? If so, when were your secondaries submitted?