2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For example...

February 28 – March 6, 2020

PROTECTIVE SERVICES' NEIGHBORHOOD SECURITY SUMMARY NO. 91

Hello School of Medicine Students,

Two robberies and one aggravated assault were reported during the last week to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department (SLMPD) in the six neighborhoods we monitor near the School of Medicine campus. The SLMPD is investigating these incidents.

You should be aware that Washington University Police Department issued a Security Memo on February 28, 2020, regarding an armed robbery involving WashU students. At approximately 10:20 p.m., two students were standing near the street, in the 6100 block of Pershing Ave., near Rosedale Ave., in the Skinker-DeBaliviere neighborhood. Two subjects approached the students displaying handguns and demanded the students’ property. The students gave the subjects their cell phones, wallets, and car keys. One of the subjects then struck one of the students in the face, knocking him to the ground. Both subjects entered the student’s vehicle and drove off, heading west on Pershing Ave. One student reported minor injuries. The SLMPD is investigating the incident.

Violent and Noteworthy Crimes in the Surrounding Neighborhoods

Skinker DeBaliviere:

On February 28, 2020, at about 10:20 p.m., an armed robbery/carjacking was reported in the 6100 block of Pershing Ave. (see details above, including involvement of two WashU students)

DeBaliviere Place: Nothing to report

Central West End: Nothing to report

Forest Park Southeast/The Grove:

On February 29, 2020, at about 2 a.m., an aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon was reported in the 4000 block of Chouteau Ave.

On February 29, 2020, at about 8 p.m., a robbery using a dangerous weapon was reported near the intersection of S. Kingshighway Blvd. and Oakland Ave.
Dang, I didn't realize how dangerous St. Louis was...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not trying to scare people!!! But... it is something to consider/research!!!
I've heard the Danforth/ undergrad campus neighborhood (Skinker-DeBaliviere) is a lot less safe than the med school neighborhood (CWE). Maybe that's anecdotal from my friends who went to WashU from undergrad. Do you think that's the case? When I was visiting for my interview, I thought central west end seemed fairly safe and peaceful (and bougie, which is probably tied to safe/peaceful).

I feel like many cities have good/ bad neighborhoods and while it's alarming that the undergrad seems to be in an area with a non-negligible amount of crime, the med school campus is decently far away (~2-3 miles?) from it so I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate environment in CWE is different.

I've heard the Danforth/ undergrad campus neighborhood (Skinker-DeBaliviere) is a lot less safe than the med school neighborhood (CWE). Maybe that's anecdotal from my friends who went to WashU from undergrad. Do you think that's the case? When I was visiting for my interview, I thought central west end seemed fairly safe and peaceful (and bougie, which is probably tied to safe/peaceful).

I feel like many cities have good/ bad neighborhoods and while it's alarming that the undergrad seems to be in an area with a non-negligible amount of crime, the med school campus is decently far away (~2-3 miles?) from it so I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate environment in CWE is different.
The undergrad campus is in Clayton which is where all the super nice houses are and where all the professors/doctors live. I’ve heard undergrads who live in the more affordable neighborhoods around Danforth talk about crime, but I would say it’s generally better over there. The area immediately around the med campus is fine, but it’s pretty pricey to live 5 min walk to the med school, you’ll probably have to live further out. I live in CWE (very very close to campus) and like I mentioned there are some sketchy areas. A couple of cars on my street have been broken into for instance, I don’t walk my dog late at night, I’ve heard gunshots multiple times while walking around, I will get a lyft from bars/friends houses instead of walking, etc. It’s not really “good or bad neighborhoods” it’s just random pockets. It’s impossible to describe, hence why it’s a shame you won’t be able to come here in person. It obviously depends on who you are, where you come from, etc. I lived in a fairly “sketchy” place previously, but I’m also very safety conscious (as I’m a petite woman). Just depends...

If anyone wants to talk about specific things feel free to PM me. I’d also check out the St Louis Subreddit, it’s a good representation of the city.

Reactions: 1 user
i wonder if yield will increase considering second look historically seems to scare applicants away

• Hmm
I'm an undergrad at washu right now. Areas such as Waterman Blvd and Pershing, which are literally 3 min walks from the undergrad campus front entrance, are where most robberies occur. A few years ago, my friend was Pokémon Go hunting in his car at night and two people got into his car. One had an AK (probably fake I hope) and they made him drive to an atm for cash and took his phone. They said my friend was pretty cool so they didn't take his car.. Just be super careful at night. The med campus itself is safe, but I'm not sure about the surrounding area

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
i wonder if yield will increase considering second look historically seems to scare applicants away
I don’t think it would scare them away! I think it’s actually probably pretty important for convincing people that St Louis is cool.

I'm an undergrad at washu right now. Areas such as Waterman Blvd and Pershing, which are literally 3 min walks from the undergrad campus front entrance, are where most robberies occur. A few years ago, my friend was Pokémon Go hunting in his car at night and two people got into his car. One had an AK (probably fake I hope) and they made him drive to an atm for cash and took his phone. They said my friend was pretty cool so they didn't take his car.. Just be super careful at night

St Louis has fantasssstic Pokémon Go... we were going to have an event here, but stupid coronavirus ruined it :(

• Sad
  • Haha
Just to reiterate I absolutely love living in St Louis, I just wanted to keep it real. Moving away from all you know/your family and friends is super hard and knowing all of the facts is essential to making the right decision for you!

Could be Sunday if they want to stick to that firm March 15

It was just announced that the undergrad campus is completely shut down for the rest of the month and med school classes are cancelled because coronavirus. Seems like admins are freaking. I wonder if this will effect admission stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was just announced that the undergrad campus is completely shut down for the rest of the month and med school classes are cancelled because coronavirus. Seems like admins are freaking. I wonder if this will effect admission stuff.
Spring break foreverrrrr!!!

• Love
Accepted just now! Holy crap. Wasn't expecting it at all this late. It was a call from Dean Hagerman, and he said he had a few other people to call!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 25 users
Accepted just now! Holy crap. Wasn't expecting it at all this late. It was a call from Dean Hagerman, and he said he had a few other people to call!

A bringer of light in a time of darkness! Congratulations to you friend !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted! Interviewed in OCTOBER. Caller was not either of my interviewers

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just when I had come to terms with my incoming waitlist, they have to renew my hope

• Love
Dr. Hagerman wasn't one of my interviewers. I interviewed in early January, with an LOI in early March. Funnily enough, I was on a bike at Washington Sports Club when I got the call

Dr. Hagerman wasn't one of my interviewers. I interviewed in early January, with an LOI in early March. Funnily enough, I was on a bike at Washington Sports Club when I got the call

I sent an update/interest letter after they sent out the February update. Funnily enough I was also at the gym when I got called. I feel like we just cracked the code :rofl:

• Haha
I sent an update/interest letter after they sent out the February update. Funnily enough I was also at the gym when I got called. I feel like we just cracked the code :rofl:
Criterion 1 fulfilled. omw to the gym rn

• Love
Me rn
031B048F-6157-40C7-AD5F-B7866D1FA017.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So how does one go about getting into this FB group?

That is so amazing!! I think we interviewed together and I’m super happy for you :)

I am abroad and don’t have access to my American phone until Sunday (because I didn’t think there was any chance calls were still going out!). But that’s suuuuuper wishful thinking anyway, my hoping that I might've gotten a call

GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody in my family is picking up so you guys get the news first

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody in my family is picking up so you guys get the news first

Congratulations!! They're right down to the wire this year... though what with a pandemic and all I expect doctors might have other things to be doing also :D

Also got the call this morning and in complete disbelief! Interviewed very early in the season so I thought it was over for me long ago.

Reactions: 6 users
Also got the call this morning and in complete disbelief! Interviewed very early in the season so I thought it was over for me long ago.
Congratulations!!
Is everyone's interviewer calling? If yes, can they put initial? Thanks a lot.

I got a call earlier that I missed from Barnes Jewish Hospital. No message, and it redirected me, saying "the number is unassigned". So I'm not really sure what to think of that.

I got a call earlier that I missed from Barnes Jewish Hospital. No message, and it redirected me, saying "the number is unassigned". So I'm not really sure what to think of that.
I think that's a good sign!!!

so we're really gonna hear ON the 15th huh

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
But the email said the 15th? We deserve our WLs and Rs by EOD tomorrow. :p
Yeah... but... lol
If I remember correctly last year it wasn’t exactly on the 15th... I just doubt they’d do it on a Sunday... but who knows!

• Haha
Just put me out of my misery, WashU! It’s been long enough!