2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if there are more acceptances to come then...
I'm sure there are, but I'm kind of mad at myself for even bothering to get my hopes up. Everything points to WL in my case.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure there are, but I'm kind of mad at myself for even bothering to get my hopes up. Everything points to WL in my case.

I really feel you. This was my small bit of hope and happiness especially after I got broken up with a few weeks ago from a two-year relationship, but it looks this is also not going to work out for me.. :cryi:

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking here for a while waiting for news with you all and just got the WL email from Dean Ratts. It was pretty friendly email. Just wanted to let you know that decisions are coming and everything. Does anyone know if they reject at all or WL all non-accepted?

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking here for a while waiting for news with you all and just got the WL email from Dean Ratts. It was pretty friendly email. Just wanted to let you know that decisions are coming and everything. Does anyone know if they reject at all or WL all non-accepted?
They said possible decisions include “not-accept” (R) but not sure if that’s put into practice. Still waiting for news... wonder if it’s in WL waves lol or if I’m headed for an R :’)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got waitlisted as well

Reactions: 1 users
WL :( 7:01 EST. Did they not all go out at once?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the purpose of a waitlist comment?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
WL! I’ll take it at least the wait is over

Do they waitlist everyone they didn't accept? I feel like the comments section is are a letter of intent or at least strong interest.

Waitlisted -> withdrew. And with that, my cycle is officially over! Good luck to everyone still waiting and I hope we meet again

Reactions: 6 users
Keep your heads up guys, you’ll get through this. If you got an interview at WashU, you’re an amazing candidate and you should be proud. Let me know if you want to talk via DM, I know how hard this is.

WL and declined it... even though I withdrew via email weeks ago after it wouldn’t let me do it on the portal.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Got the call earlier today. Absolutely ecstatic and will be committing. Thanks to everybody for the support and memes. It’s been a crazy cycle, and I know you’ll all be great doctors. Good luck to everybody!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Rejected here. :(

"Despite your fine record and accomplishments, the Committee on Admissions has not found it possible to offer you a position in the Entering Class. This year we have received more applications from qualified applicants than we can accommodate. This has made the deliberations of the Committee on Admissions particularly difficult.

We are grateful for your interest in Washington University School of Medicine and for your application to our school. When the time comes to plan your postgraduate medical training, we hope you will consider our medical institution.

Please accept our best wishes for your future success in the study of medicine."

• Sad
For those of you who were rejected, I hope you get in somewhere. This is such a (unnecessarily IMO) tough process. Things will get better. Keep focused and remember why you want to study medicine. If it has something to do with stats and prestige, I hope you find that elsewhere. It is and always will be really important to take care of yourself. Be healthy, get rest, etc. Remember those things. For most of us, not getting into Wash U is not the end of the world. Keep your head up!

Anyone else who received a merit scholarship able to view the award letter in their portal? Dean Ratts said it would be there, but I can't find anything. The only thing I see is "tuition letter" which only states what normal tuition is for our class, but says nothing about a merit scholarship.
Yeah I can see it

Does anyone know if WUSM offers merit-based aid to students on the waitlist? I accepted my position but would probably not attend unless I got a generous merit-based scholarship.

I know this sounds strange considering WUSM did not even want me in the first batch of accepted students, but I know the institution has boatloads of money and oftentimes 'sweetens the pot' for students who are admitted to comparable schools.

Again, I am expecting the answer to be 'no' but since I know people at other institutions sometimes get merit-based scholarships off of waitlists, so I figured I would ask.

Congrats to those accepted and my condolences to those who did not receive the decision they wanted.

Does LOI help with acceptance but take away any chance of getting a scholarship?
I don’t think it would. I mean a LOI is basically saying “look I got into these other schools but I love/like your school wayyyyy better ...” this should actually give you leverage for more scholarship money. At least when I think about it.

Does anyone know if WUSM offers merit-based aid to students on the waitlist? I accepted my position but would probably not attend unless I got a generous merit-based scholarship.

I know this sounds strange considering WUSM did not even want me in the first batch of accepted students, but I know the institution has boatloads of money and oftentimes 'sweetens the pot' for students who are admitted to comparable schools.

Again, I am expecting the answer to be 'no' but since I know people at other institutions sometimes get merit-based scholarships off of waitlists, so I figured I would ask.

Congrats to those accepted and my condolences to those who did not receive the decision they wanted.
If you go through last year's thread there were a couple let off the waitlist April 30-May 1 who got merit scholarships! I'm sure they open up as their original recipients decline them and go elsewhere

Does LOI help with acceptance but take away any chance of getting a scholarship?
My theory on this is, yes, and LOI takes away merit scholarship potential. Of course, this is a strong speculation, but my rationale is that merit scholarships are to secure certain applicants to enroll (for whatever reason they want the applicant for; high MCAT, URM, lawyer+UN ambassador, head-clown of Ringling Bros, etc).

If you submit an LoI, you've already served the purpose their merit scholarships have served.

If your question is whether waitlist applicants can still get merit scholarships...then yes, I think they still can. Let us say they need to fill 5 more spots, everyone else they already accepted has already COMMITTED with the exception of the 5 empty spots, all other acceptances withdrew. Let's also say the only people who sent letters of intent more "less desirable" applicants. They will offer merit scholarships to the "more desirable" waitlist applicants to quickly snag them up, basically.