2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did people who sent LOIs get a personalized acknowledgement of them from the dean?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind sharing what it said roughly? I didn't get one, and when I got called for acceptance/scholarship it very much sounded like they didn't realize I had sent a letter of intent haha
Something fairly generic saying thank you, and it will be added to my file to be used in any future decisions

Wait you guys got responses from the dean? How did you guys send your letter of intents? I uploaded mine on the portal a long time ago and didn't get any response.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships??? April 15th is approaching soon and have to narrow it down to three and money is top priority.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait you guys got responses from the dean? How did you guys send your letter of intents? I uploaded mine on the portal a long time ago and didn't get any response.
The probably hand delivered it personally to dean :)

Is the withdrawal button on the portal not clickable for anyone else?

Is the withdrawal button on the portal not clickable for anyone else?

could everyone click withdrawal and report back

sincerely,
wl applicant

JOKE plz don’t flame me - i’m getting cabin fever

• Haha
could everyone click withdrawal and report back

sincerely,
wl applicant

JOKE plz don’t flame me - i’m getting cabin fever

Hahaha you have to email them and then they enable it. Hope one of you on the waitlist gets lucky and grabs my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships??? April 15th is approaching soon and have to narrow it down to three and money is top priority.

The financial aid tab or the tuition letter tab says that they might award them as late as mid to late April. I'm in the same boat - waiting and hoping for a scholarship sucks!

I tried to withdraw post-interview/pre-decision and the portal wouldn’t let me, so I emailed them. No response. Got a WL decision several weeks later and declined it.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else think its kinda weird they only plan to get fin aid by 4/30? thats so late

Reactions: 2 users
I got a full-tuition scholarship today! They are still rolling out!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Congrats on the scholarship! Maybe there's still a chance after all

Has anyone received need-based financial aid recently?

Got a full ride. No official financial aid package out for me either

Reactions: 2 users
Got a full ride. No official financial aid package out for me either
Congratulations!!
Your signature stats are very very impressive. I always wonder how this med school admission works. I have seen people with very impressive scores and work and gets only 3-4 interviews and one or no acceptance after applying to 35-40 colleges.
You have applied to 21, Interviewed 12, Acceptance 10 with some full rides. This is very impressive.
Give us or next batch some hints and advise about how to achieve this...
Again, you did very well. Congratulation!!

• Haha
Congratulations!!
Your signature stats are very very impressive. I always wonder how this med school admission works. I have seen people with very impressive scores and work and gets only 3-4 interviews and one or no acceptance after applying to 35-40 colleges.
You have applied to 21, Interviewed 12, Acceptance 10 with some full rides. This is very impressive.

From other thread... 2019-2020 Weill Cornell

>>>
helpmedecide2020 said:
Where are you likely going? I’m deciding between here and a few other schools too.
UCSF, Columbia, Yale, Vandy, Wash U and Michigan
>>>

I wonder if Wash U will try and get aid out next week before the 15th since that's "Withdraw from all but 3" day?

Congratulations!!
Uh..so you actually haven’t applied?

• Haha
Congrats on the scholarship! Did whoever called you say if the merit committee would keep meeting or if they had any timeline?

Thank you! They mentioned that things are still in flux so I assume that means money will still be moved around but I didn’t press. This offer was also in response to me negotiating aid so it wasn’t out of the blue and therefore is probably not following a specific timeline!

Thank you! They mentioned that things are still in flux so I assume that means money will still be moved around but I didn’t press. This offer was also in response to me negotiating aid so it wasn’t out of the blue and therefore is probably not following a specific timeline!
Did you receive an offer from WashU before you told them about the offers you got from other schools?

Does anyone know of someone who got off the waitlist before without a letter of intent?

Does anyone know of someone who got off the waitlist before without a letter of intent?
Honestly, I really don’t think letters of intent matter much... they’re going to accept who they’re going accept, a letter won’t effect that much. If you look at past threads LOI isn’t a definite trend imo.

Wondering if current students can chime in. I’m not set on a field, but definitely keeping family medicine as a possibility. I’m trying to decide between schools and realized that WashU doesn’t seem to even have a family medicine department? Also, based on this past year’s match list, only 2 students went into FM? (I see a ton of internal and pediatrics, but not FM) Past years match lists are all password protected, so I can’t view if ANY students at WashU go into this field. Like I said, I’m definitely not set on any specialty, but I guess I’m wondering if I would have 0 mentorship/opportunities/electives if I ended up wanting to pursue FM. Would it be wiser to attend a different school that actually has this department? Is this a red flag?

Last edited:
Wondering if current students can chime in. I’m not set on a field, but definitely keeping family medicine as a possibility. I’m trying to decide between schools and realized that WashU doesn’t seem to even have a family medicine department? Also, based on this past year’s match list, no students went into FM? (I see a ton of internal and pediatrics, but not FM) Past years match lists are all password protected, so I can’t view if ANY students at WashU go into this field. Like I said, I’m definitely not set on any specialty, but I guess I’m wondering if I would have 0 mentorship/opportunities/electives if I ended up wanting to pursue FM. Would it be wiser to attend a different school that actually has this department? Is this a red flag?
While you wait for a response from current students, I remember learning at two of my interviews that not every state has Family Medicine. So family med would see patients of all ages and sometimes focus on OB-GYN or pediatrics. This concept of practice simply doesn’t exist some places. This was brought up in TX and in Massachusetts (I’m pretty sure ). There are ways to work around it for people who are specifically interested in FM. But someone who knows more would have to chime in.

Wondering if current students can chime in. I’m not set on a field, but definitely keeping family medicine as a possibility. I’m trying to decide between schools and realized that WashU doesn’t seem to even have a family medicine department? Also, based on this past year’s match list, no students went into FM? (I see a ton of internal and pediatrics, but not FM) Past years match lists are all password protected, so I can’t view if ANY students at WashU go into this field. Like I said, I’m definitely not set on any specialty, but I guess I’m wondering if I would have 0 mentorship/opportunities/electives if I ended up wanting to pursue FM. Would it be wiser to attend a different school that actually has this department? Is this a red flag?
My interviewer specifically identified primary care/family medicine when I asked about areas of weakness/need for growth he sees at WashU. He said that they do not have a family medicine department, and that not a ton of students match into it- perhaps because of lack of mentors, or lack of pipeline from past students choosing that route, etc. Interested to hear what current students respond to your post!