Jul 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know the pace of WL movement typically/by what month is WL movement pretty much done? Also I assume we're anticipating a lot less movement than normal due to a smaller MD-only class size, correct? Also does anyone have any info on the size of the WL? This feels like it could be similar to a drawn-out breakup.

About the Ads
Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received word on merit scholarships recently? I have seen mostly half tuition specified in this thread but don't know if full tuition or other amounts have been given out yet or if any merit scholarships are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. Looking at the forum for last year, they released some merit scholarships up through April but don't know what timeline they are on this cycle.

For those with merit scholarships, did they appear on your financial aid portal as well or is that completely separate?

Thanks!

Reactions: fishbowl1023
Oct 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
My documents were received between 3/17 and 3/19, and my file was complete on 3/19. I was told when I asked the financial aid office that my file was "in line for processing" and should be complete "soon". Hoping for decent aid there.

As for merit aid, I'm really hoping for a half tuition scholarship but am not expecting anything, especially since I sent a letter of intent. I'm estimating that the total COA this year will be close to $89k ($2k more than last year's incoming class), and half tuition brings that down to $55k before need-based aid. Maybe since it's a smaller class there'll be more scholarship, but I'm definitely worried about overall cost.

Fruitjuice

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
My documents were received between 3/17 and 3/19, and my file was complete on 3/19. I was told when I asked the financial aid office that my file was "in line for processing" and should be complete "soon". Hoping for decent aid there.

As for merit aid, I'm really hoping for a half tuition scholarship but am not expecting anything, especially since I sent a letter of intent. I'm estimating that the total COA this year will be close to $89k ($2k more than last year's incoming class), and half tuition brings that down to $55k before need-based aid. Maybe since it's a smaller class there'll be more scholarship, but I'm definitely worried about overall cost.
Given that you sent a letter of intent, I have a question for you out of my own curiosity.

If another school gives you a fudge ton of cash, will you still go to WashU?

Oct 16, 2019
Status
Given that you sent a letter of intent, I have a question for you out of my own curiosity.

If another school gives you a fudge ton of cash, will you still go to WashU?
If Wash U gave me nothing or expected $70k a year I'd have a really tough decision. Wash U is my top choice by far, and it's more important to me to go there than to be less in debt, but $280-$360k worth of debt is...a lot.

I guess my plan is to see what the need-based aid is going to be and then try to negotiate if it isn't enough (e.g. let them know that I need more to be able to afford life, ask if the merit committee is still meeting, etc).

Reactions: RockyMtDr
Apr 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

I sent a letter of intent and received half tuition for what it’s worth

Reactions: neurosabre
Oct 16, 2019
Status
I wonder if the merit committee hasn't been meeting as much due to the current situation. Also for what it's worth the tuition letter and financial aid tab said most scholarships are awarded in mid to late April, so it seems like settling in for the wait is the right call.

Reactions: darth_chonker
About the Ads

musician8591

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm WL'ed. I've already completed FAFSA. Is there anything else I need to do to apply for financial aid at Wash U at the moment?

Oct 16, 2019
Status
I'm WL'ed. I've already completed FAFSA. Is there anything else I need to do to apply for financial aid at Wash U at the moment?
If you haven't filled out the CSS profile yet you might want to, if you have the time and/or nothing else to do. Don't send it in yet, though - if you're accepted they'll give you a reduced fee!

musician8591

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you haven't filled out the CSS profile yet you might want to, if you have the time and/or nothing else to do. Don't send it in yet, though - if you're accepted they'll give you a reduced fee!
Thanks! I completed it late last night. I sent it in for a different school. Hopefully, I'll get to send it for Wash U.

stvea349

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Since I no longer have MSAR access and I can't find any other posts about this, does anyone know if WashU is receptive to requests to defer matriculation? It's my top choice right now but I'd want to defer for a year due to some family financial difficulties coming from COVID-19. I have a well-paying job (not at all related to medicine though) lined up and it could really help pay for my family's expenses and I think I could also use a year off to prevent burnout :/

Feb 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Since I no longer have MSAR access and I can't find any other posts about this, does anyone know if WashU is receptive to requests to defer matriculation? It's my top choice right now but I'd want to defer for a year due to some family financial difficulties coming from COVID-19. I have a well-paying job (not at all related to medicine though) lined up and it could really help pay for my family's expenses and I think I could also use a year off to prevent burnout :/
It says
"Deferred entrance requests
Case-by-case"
And last year there were 3 deferred out of 101; 2 OOS, 1 international

D

deleted972488

Does anyone know what the dating scene is like in St. Louis? Lol
This heavily depends on who you are and what your preferences are. I recommend reaching out to current medical students and asking them about their experiences with dating during medical school.

Reactions: darth_chonker
About the Ads
Apr 2, 2020
Does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships??? April 15th is approaching soon and have to narrow it down to three and money is top priority.

Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Wait you guys got responses from the dean? How did you guys send your letter of intents? I uploaded mine on the portal a long time ago and didn't get any response.
The probably hand delivered it personally to dean :)

About the Ads
Oct 16, 2019
Status
Does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships??? April 15th is approaching soon and have to narrow it down to three and money is top priority.
The financial aid tab or the tuition letter tab says that they might award them as late as mid to late April. I'm in the same boat - waiting and hoping for a scholarship sucks!

Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Any merit scholarships sent out today?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
Status
Got a full ride. No official financial aid package out for me either
Congratulations!!
Your signature stats are very very impressive. I always wonder how this med school admission works. I have seen people with very impressive scores and work and gets only 3-4 interviews and one or no acceptance after applying to 35-40 colleges.
You have applied to 21, Interviewed 12, Acceptance 10 with some full rides. This is very impressive.
Give us or next batch some hints and advise about how to achieve this...
Again, you did very well. Congratulation!!

• Haha
Reactions: PapayaJambalaya
Jun 4, 2019
Status
Congratulations!!
Your signature stats are very very impressive. I always wonder how this med school admission works. I have seen people with very impressive scores and work and gets only 3-4 interviews and one or no acceptance after applying to 35-40 colleges.
You have applied to 21, Interviewed 12, Acceptance 10 with some full rides. This is very impressive.
Give us or next batch some hints and advise about how to achieve this...
Again, you did very well. Congratulation!!
From other thread... 2019-2020 Weill Cornell

>>>
helpmedecide2020 said:
Where are you likely going? I’m deciding between here and a few other schools too.
UCSF, Columbia, Yale, Vandy, Wash U and Michigan
>>>

About the Ads