2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lmao ofc they’re Gona drag this to next week and give us a dam heart attack.
You interviewed on the 14th? WVSOM has consistently been informing applicants 6-7 days after their interview. It’s only Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
You interviewed on the 14th? WVSOM has consistently been informing applicants 6-7 days after their interview. It’s only Wednesday.

Thursday lol I am just getting super neurotic and my imposter syndrome isn’t helping either.

I have an upcoming interview here and the interview day schedule on the portal says that 11am-12pm is allotted for "Students will tour the Clinical Evaluation Center (CEC) and have a mock experience." What is the mock experience and is that something that I need to prepare for?

I have an upcoming interview here and the interview day schedule on the portal says that 11am-12pm is allotted for "Students will tour the Clinical Evaluation Center (CEC) and have a mock experience." What is the mock experience and is that something that I need to prepare for?
No it’s literally what it sounds like lol. The mock experience is interactions with the tools (don’t wanna give too much away) that they have in the CEC. It is really cool; you should enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 users
No it’s literally what it sounds like lol. The mock experience is interactions with the tools (don’t wanna give too much away) that they have in the CEC. It is really cool; you should enjoy it!
That's good to hear. I was just stressing out for no reason lol

Did your hotels have shuttles to the campus? Hampton Inn said their shuttle won't start running until quite a bit after 8am. Lol no point. Did people use uber, taxi or what? What was the cost/ availability? Also is there a lot of walking? I'm thinking more professional heels for the interview then switching shoes during tour.

Did your hotels have shuttles to the campus? Hampton Inn said their shuttle won't start running until quite a bit after 8am. Lol no point. Did people use uber, taxi or what? What was the cost/ availability? Also is there a lot of walking? I'm thinking more professional heels for the interview then switching shoes during tour.
I would bring another pair of shoes. There is a fair bit of walking. The campus is rather large for a medical school

Anyone know how late WVSOM will be interviewing until? Got notified my application was still under review but haven't heard anything

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if I would receive an interview and if I do, would it be a waitlist at this point? I have a 495 MCAT and a 3.7 sGPA. I am involved in two publications, have been a TA for four different labs at my school and a tutor for two different classes. I have about 50 hours worth of clinical experience, and I have done research at the University of Pittsburgh (where I was involved in my publications). In addition, a good amount of volunteering for a variety of different things. I have also worked in a cadaver lab for almost three years now where surgeons come to do surgical demonstrations and practice with new equipment (I help them with the whole process). The admission's office contacted me Friday asking me to clarify one of my shadowing experiences with one of the DOs I shadowed as well. Thank you!

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if I would receive an interview and if I do, would it be a waitlist at this point? I have 495 MCAT and a 3.7 sGPA. I am involved in two publications, have been a TA for four different labs at my school and a tutor for two different classes. I have about 50 hours worth of clinical experience, and I have done research at the University of Pittsburgh (where I was involved in my publications). In addition, a good amount of volunteering for a variety of different things. I have also worked in a cadaver lab for almost three years now where surgeons come to do surgical demonstrations and practice with new equipment (I help them with the whole process). The admission's office contacted me Friday asking me to clarify one of my shadowing experiences with one of the DOs I shadowed as well. Thank you!

call them and ask for your application status. then call again, and express your genuine interest in the school and why. first focus on getting the interview. one step at a time. don't worry about the waitlist or acceptance step yet. there are many ppl that'll be harsh on you on this forum but I want to tell you that you're more than your MCAT. your GPA and ECs are stellar. lmao, also I am not accepted yet so please take everything I said w/ a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
call them and ask for your application status. then call again, and express your genuine interest in the school and why. first focus on getting the interview. one step at a time. don't worry about the waitlist or acceptance step yet. there are many ppl that'll be harsh on you on this forum but I want to tell you that you're more than your MCAT. your GPA and ECs are stellar. lmao, also I am not accepted yet so please take everything I said w/ a grain of salt.
thank you for responding! So you think everything besides my MCAT score gives me a good chance?

yeah I already had an interview lol. Waiting to hear back. It’s been over a week.
Hi, so I have an interview this week and was wondering if you had any tips or advice about some specific questions they ask? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, so I have an interview this week and was wondering if you had any tips or advice about some specific questions they ask? Thanks
Its laid back. Very conversational. Why doc? Why osteopathy? And you can guide your convo. Stay relaxed cause you will be fine. Trust me :)

Its laid back. Very conversational. Why doc? Why osteopathy? And you can guide your convo. Stay relaxed cause you will be fine. Trust me :)
Awesome thank you very much, lol I’ve asked that question before but I just needed reassurance since it’s coming up and it’s my first choice. Also by chance do you know what the post interview acceptance rate is and if you’re wait listed, what are the chances of getting off of it?

Awesome thank you very much, lol I’ve asked that question before but I just needed reassurance since it’s coming up and it’s my first choice. Also by chance do you know what the post interview acceptance rate is and if you’re wait listed, what are the chances of getting off of it?
Np. Its understandable. And I think the admissions at this school understands how tense this process is so they make it very laid back. I think post interview is around 70%. There were posts about it earlier if you scroll back through last few days. And waitlist sees lot of moment also at this school as per posts last year.

know your application inside out. if you put something on there, be prepared to talk about it. besides that, know basic questions. it was a coffee shop conversation so just imagine how would you respond to a strange hot girl/guy if you were sitting in a coffee shop across from them. for instance, I just met you and you tell me, I wanna be a doc so my follow up is "well do you know what specialty do you wanna go in? and why?" or "where/what type of area do you wanna practice in". I described it like this to calm your nerves :)

know your application inside out. if you put something on there, be prepared to talk about it. besides that, know basic questions. it was a coffee shop conversation so just imagine how would you respond to a strange hot girl/guy if you were sitting in a coffee shop across from them. for instance, I just met you and you tell me, I wanna be a doc so my follow up is "well do you know what specialty do you wanna go in? and why?" or "where/what type of area do you wanna practice in". I described it like this to calm your nerves :)
Wow that was actually a really good example. Thank you very much :) lol that will make easily it relatable

Did you guys bring in a copy of your application/ CV or resume to the interview? Or would you recommend it?

I have an interview coming up on the 9th. Idk if this has already been asked but what's a recommendation for how to approach the interview and being a student here in general if you may not intend to practice rural health? I know it's a big part of their mission but they also seemed big on general underserved healthcare and primary care which is my main focus as a future physician. I talked about it in my secondary and I'm not completely closed off to the idea, I just wouldn't know how to describe my interest in rural health since I've never even lived or experienced a rural setting. Pls help lol

I have an interview coming up on the 9th. Idk if this has already been asked but what's a recommendation for how to approach the interview and being a student here in general if you may not intend to practice rural health? I know it's a big part of their mission but they also seemed big on general underserved healthcare and primary care which is my main focus as a future physician. I talked about it in my secondary and I'm not completely closed off to the idea, I just wouldn't know how to describe my interest in rural health since I've never even lived or experienced a rural setting. Pls help lol
First, congrats on the interview! Second, obviously you are going to discuss with them your background (not rural). That's not something you can change lol. The key is honesty. Express interest in learning more about rural life/medicine, have some questions to ask them, but don't outright lie about how you can't wait to move to a rural area and practice in the future. They will read right through you. Honesty is always respected and will earn more points towards an acceptance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Has anyone, who interviewed in February, heard anything back yet? I have an interview this Friday and was just wondering what February interview outcomes were like so far

Got a missed call and voicemail from Danny Seams saying he wanted to speak to me while at work today, freaked out for a bit, decided to go skiing after work, and received the acceptance email while on the mountain. What a day lmao. Beyond excited and ecstatic to attend though! Is there a FB group?

Reactions: 7 users
Got a missed call and voicemail from Danny Seams saying he wanted to speak to me while at work today, freaked out for a bit, decided to go skiing after work, and received the acceptance email while on the mountain. What a day lmao. Beyond excited and ecstatic to attend though! Is there a FB group?
Congrats!! When did you interview?

Yes Log into Facebook | Facebook

Just got an email that seats are full for Class of 2024 and if you get accepted from onward you will be placed into the alternate list. Kind of heartbreaking as my interview is coming up in few days

Just got an email that seats are full for Class of 2024 and if you get accepted from onward you will be placed into the alternate list. Kind of heartbreaking as my interview is coming up in few days
Yup, those of us that interviewed earlier this week were told the same during our interviews-- they are now interviewing for alternate list/ wait list because their class is full for now. This started in mid- late Feb. Here is the email I also got:

"At this time in the application cycle, we currently have paid seat deposits, as well as, seat offers extended that has our Class of 2024 at capacity. We are continuing to interview as this is a fluid process, and there will be seats becoming available throughout the remainder of the current cycle.

This email is to notify that your interview will still take place as scheduled, however if accepted you will be placed on an alternate list until seats become available. You will then be notified and can proceed with the acceptance steps to secure your seat for the Class of 2024. If you have any questions or wish to discuss, please contact our admissions department."

Mine is too. Guess we will end up being one of those people leaning on a glimpse of hope until a week before orientation lmao

Hello,

My LORs were updated yesterday to my checklist and my application still says "under review". Given that the spots are currently full, should I be expecting any interview notifications?

Thank you

Hello,

My LORs were updated yesterday to my checklist and my application still says "under review". Given that the spots are currently full, should I be expecting any interview notifications?

Thank you
LOR updating on portal are indicative of potentially a interview. Hoping you get one buddy. :)

Hello,

Thank you
Yes, but it may take few days as it did for me so hang in there. Good luck!

If you haven’t, dm the owner of the Facebook group so you can get the link to the students only group

Do any current students participate in research during the school year? I dont really have any research experience but I would love to participate in research back home after MS1, but the programs are very competitive so I would like to gain experience before reaching out to PIs for the summer. Any thoughts?

Anybody experiencing any Waitlist movement? Especially the mid to late Feb interviewees?