2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi- I am trying to transfer into the second year class at WVSOM and finally was able to get my LORs from my professors. Could anyone inform me if it is still possible to get an interview and a secondary from this school this. I know my situation is different as I am trying to transfer from wcucom. Thanks

I am currently withdrawn and would like to get into the upcoming school year as a second year. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students participate in research during the school year? I dont really have any research experience but I would love to participate in research back home after MS1, but the programs are very competitive so I would like to gain experience before reaching out to PIs for the summer. Any thoughts?

Yo! Current second year here. Yes students participate in research, whenever you want. If you want to juggle your course load, feel free. Just approach the faculty you are interested in doing it with. The school is very supportive of students wanting to do research, financially too.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students answer how often you have exams?

Again, a second year here. I've had exams about every 2-3 weeks is the general feel for spacing. You may have quizzes, group based learning, OMT practical exams or clinical skills checkouts interspersed throughout.

Yo! Current second year here. Yes students participate in research, whenever you want. If you want to juggle your course load, feel free. Just approach the faculty you are interested in doing it with. The school is very supportive of students wanting to do research, financially too.
Would you say it's feasible to juggle the course load and research? And maybe a club?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been in touch with admissions and know when people on waitlist should start seeing some movement?

Would you say it's feasible to juggle the course load and research? And maybe a club?

Yeah you could... I coudn't put an hourly tally together for you, but a lot of students participate in work study and work in the library, tutor, the alumni center and more to earn extra cash. That just goes to show that some students do have the extra time to put forth effort into other endeavors. My personal experience is yes - you could put at least 5-10 hours a week into research minimum.

Reactions: 1 users
Still no alternate list movement? Anybody recently give up their seat?

Still no alternate list movement? Anybody recently give up their seat?
Hey, I interviewed on March 2nd and was placed on alternate list on March 6th. I got the accepted off of the alternate list through email yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 2/20/2020. Accepted 3/18/2020.

Accepted from the alternate list yesterday 3/18/20! May have to give up my seat though :/

Cool thanks for sharing the acceptances everyone!! Congrats!! Relieving there's been some alternate list movement. And yes, would be great if anyone could share Lizzy M/ stats!!

Cool thanks for sharing the acceptances everyone!! Congrats!! Relieving there's been some alternate list movement. And yes, would be great if anyone could share Lizzy M/ stats!!
PM'ed you as well

Hey guys I just received an interview to WVSOM. I am not sure if this is for the waitlist only or for an actual seat since it is this late in the process. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the interview and maybe some questions to be prepared for? It is a skype interview due to the situation we are in. Thank you!

Hey guys I just received an interview to WVSOM. I am not sure if this is for the waitlist only or for an actual seat since it is this late in the process. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the interview and maybe some questions to be prepared for? It is a skype interview due to the situation we are in. Thank you!
Congrats on interview! When is your interview if you dont mind me asking? It's very laid back and they ask questions related to your application regarding experiences, maybe shadowing experience. Why DO? Why WVSOM? Its conversational. And they are interviewing for waitlist now but people have gotten accepted in few days after being waitlisted.

Congrats on interview! When is your interview if you dont mind me asking? It's very laid back and they ask questions related to your application regarding experiences, maybe shadowing experience. Why DO? Why WVSOM? Its conversational. And they are interviewing for waitlist now but people have gotten accepted in few days after being waitlisted.
Thank you! and people still getting in shortly after getting waitlisted gives me hope. I was already waitlisted at another school too. My interview is next week!

Anyone hear anything about WVSOM's match list? Can't find anything so far

Hi- I am trying to transfer into the second year class at WVSOM and finally was able to get my LORs from my professors. Could anyone inform me if it is still possible to get an interview and a secondary from this school this. I know my situation is different as I am trying to transfer from wcucom. Thanks

I am currently withdrawn and would like to get into the upcoming school year as a second year. Any advice?
I was accepted to WCUCOM with a friend of mine! I just received an interview invite to WVSOM last week. Is there a specific reason you want to transfer? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

same here!

How come if you don’t mind me asking? Congrats!
I'm waiting to hear back from elsewhere, also I'm OOS and that deposit is pretty hefty unfortunately :/ But nothing wrong with the school at all!

I'm waiting to hear back from elsewhere, also I'm OOS and that deposit is pretty hefty unfortunately :/ But nothing wrong with the school at all!
Understood! It definitely was a stretch for my pockets :(

Wvsom just ordered its employees and students to stay at home. Idk how itll impact admissions

• Sad
Wvsom just ordered its employees and students to stay at home. Idk how itll impact admissions

Probably just bc WV as a state is in process of a stay-home order so obviously the school will comply. Wouldn't worry too much if they're already doing Skype interviews, they probably will do Skype or video conference calls, etc.

Is mid April or June a little late for housing? Will probably finalize school choice in the next couple months but as a result haven't been actively looking for housing anywhere...

Can anyone confirm that this school is a PBL med school only? I thought I heard they only have a PBL pathway from an admissions person (can't remember exactly anymore) but everything I find online says they have a SBL and PBL pathway (not sure if this is updated or not)

Can anyone confirm that this school is a PBL med school only? I thought I heard they only have a PBL pathway from an admissions person (can't remember exactly anymore) but everything I find online says they have a SBL and PBL pathway (not sure if this is updated or not)
Its not PBL. It’s lectures. UIW and LECOM- Bradenton, Seton Hill, Elmira are the only DO schools that are strictly PBL

Is mid April or June a little late for housing? Will probably finalize school choice in the next couple months but as a result haven't been actively looking for housing anywhere...
I think you should be fine. Usually second years end their lease in April/May (though I’m not sure how people’s plans have changed due to COVID).

Does anyone know whether WVSOM has only been sending out acceptances on Wednesdays, or has it been other days of the week as well? And has it been via email only these days? Around what time of the day do they notify you? Thank you. :p

Does anyone know whether WVSOM has only been sending out acceptances on Wednesdays, or has it been other days of the week as well? And has it been via email only these days? Around what time of the day do they notify you? Thank you. :p

I believe that I got mine around 2pm on a Thursday or Friday by phone call