2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know whether WVSOM has only been sending out acceptances on Wednesdays, or has it been other days of the week as well? And has it been via email only these days? Around what time of the day do they notify you? Thank you. :p
I was accepted on a Wednesday by email around 3pm

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they are still sending secondaries? I am trying to transfer to WVSOM. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have my interview on Friday via GoToMeeting. Does anyone know if I interviewed only for a waitlist position, or are they still giving out acceptances as well?

It's done. I have finally decided which school I'll be attending so withdrew my seat at WVSOM this morning. Am I just paranoid or is it daunting to finally decide on a school?

Reactions: 5 users
I did have my interview on Friday via GoToMeeting. Does anyone know if I interviewed only for a waitlist position, or are they still giving out acceptances as well?
The seats filled up a little while ago so they're doing alternate list!

Screenshot_20200401-140146.png

Just got put on the alternate list. Anyone know if it is ranked/how many people are on it? What are the odds of getting off it?
Hey welcome to the group. There are few of us who have been on it for month or so. I dont think it is ranked. And from past threads and posts, this school has good movement for candidates on alternate list

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone Got an email regarding the Background check stuff?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey did anyone see on their checklist their transcripts come up? If so, does it mean anything? I already interviewed and currently on the alternate list.

Hey did anyone see on their checklist their transcripts come up? If so, does it mean anything? I already interviewed and currently on the alternate list.

Unfortunately, doesn’t mean anything. It shows up for anyone who got accepted after an interview regardless of alternate list or direct. I’m in the same position, hoping for movement!

Hoping for some movement this week for waitlisted candidates. Anyone been in contact with admissions lately?

Received an update today that my application was placed on hold (Decision Deferred), I've yet to receive an II. Does anyone know what this means or whether or not they do hard Rs? I really like this school. They said to also update my application, other than lab benchwork for a few months and some scribing I don't have much, but I guess I have nothing to lose by updating AACOMAS anyways right?

H
Received an update today that my application was placed on hold (Decision Deferred), I've yet to receive an II. Does anyone know what this means or whether or not they do hard Rs? I really like this school. They said to also update my application, other than lab benchwork for a few months and some scribing I don't have much, but I guess I have nothing to lose by updating AACOMAS anyways right?
having experience like scribing and labs can go a long way. It shows what you’re getting yourself into and also you are staying busy. But I will say, it is late in the cycle so it’s hard to stay whether these things will change anything because I’m not sure if interviews are still being conducted.

Reactions: 2 users

Did they say why it was placed on hold? Mine was placed on hold in early December citing a lack of upper level science courses/lower sGPA. I emailed back showing them I was taking more science courses and updated my app/transcript with science courses from last fall and I received an II at the end of December and was accepted in January.

i'd applied a while ago; updated my application with grades and others back in january. today I received the "Decision Deferred" email. they also finished their interview phase. I don't understand why they put students on Decision Deferred if they're not interviewing anymore. They must have a wait-list if they anticipate students not matriculating.

so I guess no hope??

i'd applied a while ago; updated my application with grades and others back in january. today I received the "Decision Deferred" email. they also finished their interview phase. I don't understand why they put students on Decision Deferred if they're not interviewing anymore. They must have a wait-list if they anticipate students not matriculating.

so I guess no hope??
Yeah idk why they doing that. There are lot of us on waitlist and have not heard back yet. So maybe they have more seats? Or anticipate more openings later.

H

having experience like scribing and labs can go a long way. It shows what you’re getting yourself into and also you are staying busy. But I will say, it is late in the cycle so it’s hard to stay whether these things will change anything because I’m not sure if interviews are still being conducted.

Well said, I have already indicated on my AACOMAS what I'll be doing in my gap year. I've had clinical exposure and research previously, those few months I haven't accomplished anything significant, but I still take your point I should mention it anyways even if the chances are slim with how late we are in the cycle

Did they say why it was placed on hold? Mine was placed on hold in early December citing a lack of upper level science courses/lower sGPA. I emailed back showing them I was taking more science courses and updated my app/transcript with science courses from last fall and I received an II at the end of December and was accepted in January.

Unfortunately no. Checked the WVSOM portal too, it's just a vague description of being placed on hold and to send in any updates on the application. I'll try calling them or emailing someone from admin to see if they can clarify. Congrats with the acceptance, thanks for the help!

so I guess no hope??

My guess is as good as yours. Generally speaking, with being this far into the cycle, we'd be competing for spots on the waitlist, but I don't know if their defer policy is genuinely keeping your app in mind or just a soft R.

Well said, I have already indicated on my AACOMAS what I'll be doing in my gap year. I've had clinical exposure and research previously, those few months I haven't accomplished anything significant, but I still take your point I should mention it anyways even if the chances are slim with how late we are in the cycle

Unfortunately no. Checked the WVSOM portal too, it's just a vague description of being placed on hold and to send in any updates on the application. I'll try calling them or emailing someone from admin to see if they can clarify. Congrats with the acceptance, thanks for the help!

My guess is as good as yours. Generally speaking, with being this far into the cycle, we'd be competing for spots on the waitlist, but I don't know if their defer policy is genuinely keeping your app in mind or just a soft R.

i've read somewhere and i wonder if they do it to those whose stats higher than their average. they probably think those students are using them as a back-up so not seriously interested.

In my personal experience WVSOM is one of those schools who keeps up with your personal phone calls/emails/updates to your application. When I went for my interview, not only did the person giving the tour remember me through my phone calls and updates I made to her, but they also brought up during my interview how I’ve been is close contact with their staff throughout my application cycle. That’s what really set WVSOM apart for me. Lots of other schools will honestly not keep track or even give you great feedback, but I felt WVSOM care about making things personal. So, additionally to adding to your acomas, I recommend calling someone or emailing someone and keeping in touch with that person

Reactions: 3 users
In my personal experience WVSOM is one of those schools who keeps up with your personal phone calls/emails/updates to your application. When I went for my interview, not only did the person giving the tour remember me through my phone calls and updates I made to her, but they also brought up during my interview how I’ve been is close contact with their staff throughout my application cycle. That’s what really set WVSOM apart for me. Lots of other schools will honestly not keep track or even give you great feedback, but I felt WVSOM care about making things personal. So, additionally to adding to your acomas, I recommend calling someone or emailing someone and keeping in touch with that person
If you have nothing to update, how do you recommend keeping into contact with the school to keep your name in the mix without sounding too pushy or sounding like "oo remember me! please select me!"

If you have nothing to update, how do you recommend keeping into contact with the school to keep your name in the mix without sounding too pushy or sounding like "oo remember me! please select me!"
Ask them if there is anything you can do to make your application stand out. Ask if they will accept a LOI. Participate in virtual fairs if they have any. If you’re still gaining clinic experience then you can update the amount of hours from when you first applied. If you’ve gained any new experiences that you feel are important you can send in brief descriptions of those too.

WVSOM has excellent communication with its applicants. They do not mind if you check in every few weeks, just as long as it’s not every week.

I received an invitation to complete the secondary application on April 3rd.... idk if its God answering my prayers or the school is getting my hopes up... To me is seems kind of late in the process to be sending a supplementary...still waiting to hear back... any suggestions or advice???

I received an invitation to complete the secondary application on April 3rd.... idk if its God answering my prayers or the school is getting my hopes up... To me is seems kind of late in the process to be sending a supplementary...still waiting to hear back... any suggestions or advice???
When did you submit your primary app to them? Maybe they really liked your app.

That's some good news for you. They might've liked your app. What's your stats?

Anyone know when the summer assignment will be posted? Quarantine has me looking for things to do lol

Should I continue hoping for an interview invite if I sent my secondary on September 28, 2019? My status says that my "application is under review", and that's it. I also sent a clinical update and LOI on November 14, 2019 and January 17, 2020 respectively. No contact since that (I didn't want to keep annoying them). Any suggestions or insight?

Should I continue hoping for an interview invite if I sent my secondary on September 28, 2019? My status says that my "application is under review", and that's it. I also sent a clinical update and LOI on November 14, 2019 and January 17, 2020 respectively. No contact since that (I didn't want to keep annoying them). Any suggestions or insight?
From what I have heard on here they have ended their interview season, and if they are still going it would be for the waitlist. My suggestion: if you haven't been accepted elsewhere and apply again next cycle, I suggest you call WVSOM when you feel it necessary. They were always very understanding and welcoming the several times I called. Best of luck to you.

Sadly will be withdrawing my seat. But I’m hoping that that provides some movement :)

Just an update: when I emailed admissions they said they see the most movement in May and early June! So no worries that no one has heard anything yet!

Does this mean time to reapply to the next cycle?
It’s not a bad idea to reapply but a lot of schools will take people from the waitlist up until the last possible day. I think a read on a thread from a few years ago someone was accepted the day before orientation. But definitely reapply if you feel unsure because it’s better to be ahead in the cycle by applying in May than to wait until July to apply.

From what I have heard on here they have ended their interview season, and if they are still going it would be for the waitlist. My suggestion: if you haven't been accepted elsewhere and apply again next cycle, I suggest you call WVSOM when you feel it necessary. They were always very understanding and welcoming the several times I called. Best of luck to you.
Alright, thank you, I appreciate it!