2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if any of the accepted students are starting to study anything? I know in the accepted students online event one of the students recommended studying the book and all. Has anyone started?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any of the accepted students are starting to study anything? I know in the accepted students online event one of the students recommended studying the book and all. Has anyone started?

I may look over some biochem (glycolysis and Krebs cycle) and a little anatomy but I'm not doing any in-depth stuff. The one guy at accepted students day said to use the BOARD study material before you start your actual medical school orientation. I don't think that's necessary at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd definitely do light biochem and genetics review. Just saying this for reference, but I took grad school level biochem and genetics at my state university (Rutgers New Brunswick) and it was one of the hardest things in life. My current friend who is in an SMP program at Rutgers med NJMS said the biochem and genetics is absurd and similar to the one we took during our undergrad. I'll be starting some review of my undergrad notes as she recommended prior to classes starting. Prob think starting BOARD prep now is excessive lol focus on passing classes first is priority as M1 (?).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Read the book and do the mandatory assignments that are listed on the school's website, because you may be asked to recall some of this information. Genetics, cell bio and biochem are very light in the first course and the testable items do not require any pre-reading during the summer. I didn't learn genetics or cell bio until I got to med school and I did extremely well. Also, refrain from board studying...those types of questions are brutal.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you all think the waitlist is moving or are they finished accepting students? After reading last years forum it seemed as though there was a lot more movement around this time.

Do you all think the waitlist is moving or are they finished accepting students? After reading last years forum it seemed as though there was a lot more movement around this time.
There seemed to be way more movement last year and I haven’t heard of anyone getting accepted (at least via SDN) since like March. I don’t know what to think. However, the world was a massively different place last year. Hopefully we get some more movement here soon. Nobody has any answers which I know sucks. Just gotta keep waiting I guess.

There seemed to be way more movement last year and I haven’t heard of anyone getting accepted (at least via SDN) since like March. I don’t know what to think. However, the world was a massively different place last year. Hopefully we get some more movement here soon. Nobody has any answers which I know sucks. Just gotta keep waiting I guess.
Wish at this point they would start to reveal our approximate standing on the waitlist so we have some idea of what our chances are and can take the appropriate next steps.

Be patient, your class roster was just released today.

Excuse my ignorance...lol. Is that public record and what effect does that have on those who are an alternate?

Just like @klebsiella1 said, It gives you an idea of how many people are holding a seat. Our class had 204 people in it, but they can take up to 214.

Accepted off the alternate list just now but most likely giving up my seat!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like @klebsiella1 said, It gives you an idea of how many people are holding a seat. Our class had 204 people in it, but they can take up to 214.
Any idea what determines how many they will take for the year?? The # of applications and interviews have gone up over the years, but the number matriculated seems to be going down from 205, 202, then 200. I wonder if they will go with a smaller class size this year due to COVID/ the social instability?

Any idea what determines how many they will take for the year?? The # of applications and interviews have gone up over the years, but the number matriculated seems to be going down from 205, 202, then 200. I wonder if they will go with a smaller class size this year due to COVID/ the social instability?
From their 2018-2019 newsletter they accepted 214 last year

From their 2018-2019 newsletter they accepted 214 last year
Oh I read in the 2018-2019 annual report that they enrolled 200 students but maybe more were admitted and dropped the A late in the cycle?

Also just another PSA: Those with multiple acceptances/ that already know where they want to go, if you can please notify schools asap to drop your seats/ remove you from waitlists, that would be so appreciated!! This is the last month of hope for WL movement for those of us without any acceptances. And we'd rather hear back sooner than last minute so we can arrange housing, etc. Thanks!!!

Hopefully more of us can post about being accepted and it picks up a little cause this sucks

Hi y'all ! I am excited to be your classmate, but also wanted to give you maybe *some* hope. I am waiting on a waitlist for a school closer to home, and if I get off of that waitlist then I will give up my seat here at WVSOM! As some people mentioned above, this "chain" of seats opening takes time :/ I'm really hopeful for all of us :)

I think the goal is always set around 214 students to matriculate into the upcoming class. We generally accept 400-500 students a year. As accepted students drop their seat for whatever reason throughout the application cycle, more seats become available, hence why we usually accept 400+ people. My class had people drop the first week of classes, many people underestimated the difficulty of med school. My advice would be to just be patient and don't be afraid to call the office to ask for an update on your application status. Also, if admissions is something that interests you, then I highly encourage you to apply for our student admissions leadership team this fall. I've had a wonderful time engaging with the applicants this year! Choosing to go to WVSOM was the best decision I could have ever made, and I'm being quite literal.

Reactions: 5 users
I know this is kind of off topic but if anyone had the choice to pick between WVSOM and LMU-DCOM which would you pick?

I think the goal is always set around 214 students to matriculate into the upcoming class. We generally accept 400-500 students a year. As accepted students drop their seat for whatever reason throughout the application cycle, more seats become available, hence why we usually accept 400+ people. My class had people drop the first week of classes, many people underestimated the difficulty of med school. My advice would be to just be patient and don't be afraid to call the office to ask for an update on your application status. Also, if admissions is something that interests you, then I highly encourage you to apply for our student admissions leadership team this fall. I've had a wonderful time engaging with the applicants this year! Choosing to go to WVSOM was the best decision I could have ever made, and I'm being quite literal.
Thanks for all of your info! Would you mind sharing the current class count?

Thanks for all of your info! Would you mind sharing the current class count?

There's 201 incoming first year students on the composite so far, and the list doesn't include the people who will be repeating first year. Also, I don't see anyone from our bridge program with West Liberty University on the list at this time. I say give it another week or so for the composite to be more accurate. It looks like there's still room for waitlist movement.

Reactions: 3 users
There's 201 incoming first year students on the composite so far, and the list doesn't include the people who will be repeating first year. Also, I don't see anyone from our bridge program with West Liberty University on the list at this time. I say give it another week or so for the composite to be more accurate. It looks like there's still room for waitlist movement.
Thanks for that! Extremely helpful!

Hi all! I got off the waitlist at my top choice school, so withdrew from WVSOM. I am super hopeful the seat goes to one of you :) good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone whose accepted, do we have to submit the Health and Technical Standards form to the school and CastleBranch, or do we only have to submit it to CastleBranch?

Anyone whose accepted, do we have to submit the Health and Technical Standards form to the school and CastleBranch, or do we only have to submit it to CastleBranch?
I only submitted it to castle branch

I might be thinking into it too much but for those doing the summer assignment, are you answering the questions individually (like numbering 1,2,3 and doing 1-2 paragraphs per question) or are you just writing an essay where all the answers are incorporated somewhere in it

I'm doing essay form and then starting the paragraphs off by basically stating the question

I might be thinking into it too much but for those doing the summer assignment, are you answering the questions individually (like numbering 1,2,3 and doing 1-2 paragraphs per question) or are you just writing an essay where all the answers are incorporated somewhere in it

Just write an essay that answers all of the questions. There's no need to use a numbering system or restate the questions that they have asked.

Is there a separate facebook group for incoming first year students only besides the WVSOM class of 2024?

I know someone said that there would be more movement last week. However, at 216, that has to be at capacity. Correct?
Can that 216 number go down after posted on the roster list?

I know someone said that there would be more movement last week. However, at 216, that has to be at capacity. Correct?
Can that 216 number go down after posted on the roster list?

It's 218 people right now. I have come up with two conclusions:
1.) People who have dropped their seat haven't been removed from the roster yet.(?)
2.) They are taking more people since most of the curriculum is online now.(?)