2019-2020 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
The preferred abbreviation of Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine is 'WMed'.
Essay #1: Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection you have to southwest Michigan.

Essay #2: Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.

Essay #3: WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Western Michigan University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Email received confirming receipt of my primary application, IS verified 6/12. Looks like they're still screening.

Reactions: 1 user
Email received confirming receipt of primary, OOS verified 6/4. Ditto, still screening.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, IS receipt of primary but no secondary

Secondary received.

The preferred abbreviation of Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine is 'WMed'.
Essay #1: Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection you have to southwest Michigan.

Essay #2: Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.

Essay #3: WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received.

@PapaGuava

+1

Also 2000 characters max for each!

Secondary received as well.

Submitted + did the assessment quiz

Secondary received - how is the assessment thing? What is it really?
It's like a personality test on ur leadership and teamwork skills + your own values. Like the Meyers Briggs test almost

It's like a personality test on ur leadership and teamwork skills + your own values. Like the Meyers Briggs test almost
Application submitted and marked complete 7/12. TBH That test felt more accurate than CASPer.

Reactions: 4 users
how did you guys refer to the school in your secondary? They say WMed all over their website and app portal but I wasn't sure if that was okay to put in for the first essay question

how did you guys refer to the school in your secondary? They say WMed all over their website and app portal but I wasn't sure if that was okay to put in for the first essay question
“WMed is our preferred name.”

After doing the complex rocket science, I have determined that I will use he name they told me they liked.

Sorry to be a Debby downer lol You are overthinking this - if a school says something, till with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have issues with the Electronic consent? Keeps sending me to it.

Did anyone else have issues with the Electronic consent? Keeps sending me to it.
Yah, open the electronic consent, you have to click on the terms and conditions first, then open the electronic consent page that pops up without the electronic consent window and click “continue.” It is silly.

Yah, open the electronic consent, you have to click on the terms and conditions first, then open the electronic consent page that pops up without the electronic consent window and click “continue.” It is silly.
Yeah, I figured it out, does it say complete on the applicant status page or did you get an email?

No matter what combination I'm trying, it won't let me past the stupid electronic consent page. wtf is this

I even tried what MemeLord said and it still won't work. Anyone else having trouble?

No matter what combination I'm trying, it won't let me past the stupid electronic consent page. wtf is this

I even tried what MemeLord said and it still won't work. Anyone else having trouble?
When I'm on Google Chrome, it won't let me past the electronic consent page, but when I'm on Firefox, the electronic consent page doesn't even appear and it takes me right to my applicant portal. Maybe try a different browser?

When I'm on Google Chrome, it won't let me past the electronic consent page, but when I'm on Firefox, the electronic consent page doesn't even appear and it takes me right to my applicant portal. Maybe try a different browser?
I feel as though our request to attend their medical school is us giving them our consent....Maybe they had some previous legal issues? A sue happy Tiger mom?

I feel as though our request to attend their medical school is us giving them our consent....Maybe they had some previous legal issues? A sue happy Tiger mom?

Welp, I just closed all the windows and now when I go back to the portal it never shows me the consent form, can I assume that it worked? Or is there another place that I can access it

Also, I submitted the application/fee and it says "Fee Paid & Essays Completed" as the last status update, does this mean I'm complete? I never got an email

Welp, I just closed all the windows and now when I go back to the portal it never shows me the consent form, can I assume that it worked? Or is there another place that I can access it

Also, I submitted the application/fee and it says "Fee Paid & Essays Completed" as the last status update, does this mean I'm complete? I never got an email
I got an email from this morning thanking me for submitting my application. When I logged into the portal (it allowed me to log in via Google Chrome this time and didn't have the electronic consent page pop up), it said my supplemental application was competed today (7/15) at 7:57 a.m.

Any idea when phone interviews start coming out and what the post-phone interview-real interview rate is?

Any idea when phone interviews start coming out and what the post-phone interview-real interview rate is?

Earliest phone interview last year was July 26, and then earliest on campus II's came out August 22.

Not entirely sure about the rate from phone II to on campus II.

Hi, trying to learn more about the school and area: any current students on here willing to PM? Thanks!

Just got the email that my app has moved into experiences review

Do all applications get moved onto experiences review, or just certain ones?

So experience review is a selective process, no?

So I got the experience review process email today but checked my portal and saw it started on the 19th. FYI for the sake of your spreadsheets

Today-"Your application has completed the experiences review step in the application review process at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and is now under consideration for a telephone interview. The telephone interview is unique to WMed and is designed to give you the opportunity to showcase your personal attributes. Telephone interview invitations are extended on a rolling basis and you could be invited at any time in the cycle. "

Today-"Your application has completed the experiences review step in the application review process at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and is now under consideration for a telephone interview. The telephone interview is unique to WMed and is designed to give you the opportunity to showcase your personal attributes. Telephone interview invitations are extended on a rolling basis and you could be invited at any time in the cycle. "
+1

So does a telephone interview replace a regular interview? Or is it in addition to?

So does a telephone interview replace a regular interview? Or is it in addition to?
It’s in addition to. About half of the people that complete the phone interview get invited for campus interview.

Is anyone having difficulties paying the application fee?
Yes it was quite expensive.

Actually though it did take me a couple tries to get it to go through

Reactions: 2 users
3 days ago/Friday. And interesting, thanks. More steps lol
Interesting that ya'll got it so fast after experience review! I also got an experience review note on 7/19 but haven't gotten any email mentioning a telephone interview. The email just said they'll try to get back about next steps in 2 weeks.

+1