2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One was in my inbox ;)
Wow! Congrats. I hope more come out after the 14th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just paid the first deposit. Kind of strange that the second mandatory deposit is only one month later than the first...this process is so expensive ;/

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back about the November 21st interview? It has officially been two weeks... This silence is driving me crazy!

Has anyone heard back about the November 21st interview? It has officially been two weeks... This silence is driving me crazy!
How was the interview? I was supposed to interview that time but had to move it

I just paid the first deposit. Kind of strange that the second mandatory deposit is only one month later than the first...this process is so expensive ;/
When did you interview

Does anyone know if get the $2k acceptance deposit back by having it deducted from tuition/ getting it back through the first fin aid disbursement? Or is it a charge just to have the seat? I understand it is non refundable and is lost if you do not attend.

Does anyone know if get the $2k acceptance deposit back by having it deducted from tuition/ getting it back through the first fin aid disbursement? Or is it a charge just to have the seat? I understand it is non refundable and is lost if you do not attend.
I believe the $2k deposit serves to hold you spot and will go towards your tuition when you matriculate. If you decide to not matriculate, the $2k deposit is non-refundable and you will lose it.

Accepted tonight! The word 'humbled' is an understatement to describe how I feel. Never did I ever think that I would have more than one acceptances, and I will deliberate intensely in the coming weeks to determine my destination for the next 4 years..!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted tonight! The word 'humbled' is an understatement to describe how I feel. Never did I ever think that I would have more than one acceptances, and I will deliberate intensely in the coming weeks to determine my destination for the next 4 years..!
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere online that Western has a “unwritten requirement” of at least 100 hours of strictly shadowing a physician to be considered for an II. Clinical experience/scribing does not count.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?
i had way less than 100 hours and got an ii

The MMI wasn't so bad, there were two senarios. One went really well, while the other one was alright. But, I was also was the speaker for my group during the morning presentation. Therefore, I expected an acceptance letter. It's alright though I still have hope for this alternate list as well as other schools.
speaker for your group?? what group?

It’s nothing. Not a test. Just eveveryone introduces themselves. It’s a low stress day, you have nothing to worry about.
Are you drilled during the panel interview? I'm most nervous for panel . Also did you end before 2 pm?

Anyone have information on whether the WesternU SPARC program is worth it? Cangrats to everyone on their Acceptances

For those accepted, does anyone know if the deposit is due BEFORE December 15 or can we pay it on December 15? I'm supposed to get a decision from my top choice on Dec 15 :///

For those accepted, does anyone know if the deposit is due BEFORE December 15 or can we pay it on December 15? I'm supposed to get a decision from my top choice on Dec 15 :///
I would call admissions and make sure but I’m pretty sure it’s by midnight on the 15th

On my portal the link to pay says Jan 1, and then the second portion by February 1
You interviewed later than we did. The first round of acceptances have earlier deposits dates.

I would call admissions and make sure but I’m pretty sure it’s by midnight on the 15th
Update: I called and they said technically the 15th but due to delays in processing they recommend you pay it on the 14th.

How is the parking on interview mornings? Is it hard to get a spot?

Parking is fine, but paying at the meters could take an extra few minutes depending on how many people are in line. To that effect, I was told that there is a another meter on the otherside of the parking lot, away from the school.

I found street parking for free outside one of the apartment complexes that neighbors the parking lot that is metered.

Map apps say about 45 minutes without traffic...
I'm worried about a long commute to rotations too
I talked to students there who were commuting from as far as San Diego, when you go to your interview ask about the commute I know many current students there commute longer than 30 minutes.

I talked to students there who were commuting from as far as San Diego, when you go to your interview ask about the commute I know many current students there commute longer than 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info! Not sure how they would be able to commute from SD when they need to be at rotations 5 days per week.

Thanks for the info! Not sure how they would be able to commute from SD when they need to be at rotations 5 days per week.
The student was second year and said they didn’t have to be on campus as much as first years. Also, I think they were trying to get rotations closer to home not sure. Still though...that’s insane haha

Complete back in July. Am I RIP?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

After much debate, I have paid my deposit. Granted I don't get any surprise MD acceptances, I am excited to see some of you next year! Where my potential ISAC people at?

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know how many hours per week is spent doing OMM Lab and Lectures? I heard it was reduced last year but I am not completely sure.

Any one ramble a lot during their interview? And if you heard back, did you get the Acceptance? Sorry in advance I know I am annoying

After much debate, I have paid my deposit. Granted I don't get any surprise MD acceptances, I am excited to see some of you next year! Where my potential ISAC people at?

I’m probably going to be applying to ISAC this weekend! In the same boat though

Can you explain more about ISAC?

Yes. It is an Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC). Basically the gist of it is we take anatomy over the summer prior to school starting, over the course of what I believe is 6 weeks. Starts sometime in June and ends in later July. The advantage of doing it is you have one to two less exams during the actually school year because you don’t have to take the anatomy exams/practicals. There is also the advantage of getting a double pass of anatomy because if you do ISAC you become a TA for anatomy during the year so you get to teach students everything you learned during the summer. If you have any other specific questions let me know I’ll try to answer them. I think there is more info on the school website as well.

Last edited:

From the interview day guidebook:

The Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC) is intended for students who have a keen interest in
anatomy and have a desire to help teach their fellow students about anatomy in the fall. You may be
qualified if your science GPA is 3.2 or higher and your MCAT average is in the 67th percentile or above,
at the discretion of the campus chair. It is highly recommended to have successfully completed an
anatomy, physiology, or A&P course in your undergraduate background because of the rapid pace of the
course. Finally, to qualify you must have an interest in teaching, and ideally some previous teaching
experience (e.g.: TA positions, tutoring, etc.). If you are able to learn quickly and efficiently, this course
can be of immense benefit because it provides an early exposure in one of the most difficult courses in
medical school, Human Gross Anatomy.

In this program, you will take the entire medical gross anatomy course, 5 days a week for approximately 6
weeks starting in mid-June and through the end of July as preparation for being a teaching assistant in the
first year. ISAC is lab-focused with three to four hours of dissection each day and lecture-based
introduction and reviews of clinical importance, X-ray review, and ultrasound anatomy demonstrations.
In August, when the regular medical school starts, you will continue with the rest of your medical school
courses with the full class, minus the anatomy lab portion of the blocks. If you passed the summer course
with an 80% or better, you are eligible to be selected as a teaching assistant (TA) for the lab component of
each block. As such, you would help the anatomy faculty with delivery of the anatomy lab portion during
each block course. In the process of helping the other students you will help yourself to better learn, as
well as teach, anatomy. In the summer program, you will earn lab points associated with the first-year
blocks, as they would be represented by the points earned in ISAC practicals. You will not be required to
take any anatomy lab practicals, but you will be required to help proctor at least one lab practical in that
first year. Proctoring will be done according to need and will be directed by the campus anatomy chair or
their designee.

As a teaching assistant, you will receive a grade of Cr/NCr for facilitation of the anatomy course, a
notation of participation as an Anatomy TA, and an hourly wage.

The University is happy to provide this summer program to selected incoming students. Financial aid is
available for students enrolled in ISAC; loans are awarded on a 12-month basis for the first year. If you
have questions regarding financial assistance, please contact financial aid staff at (909) 469-5353.

"We have filled our scheduled interview days for the fall semester. In January we will open additional interview days. Your application is still in consideration for an interview. If you are selected, you will receive an email message giving you a link to choose your interview day and an invitation to the pre-interview mixer the day before your interview. "

did anyone get this and did anyone get an II after?

Reactions: 10 users
"We have filled our scheduled interview days for the fall semester. In January we will open additional interview days. Your application is still in consideration for an interview. If you are selected, you will receive an email message giving you a link to choose your interview day and an invitation to the pre-interview mixer the day before your interview. "

did anyone get this and did anyone get an II after?
+1