2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there been any movement w/ deferred acceptance/ alternate so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 2/27. On the waitlist. Anyone from the interview remember the difference between waitlist + alternate?

no waitlist this year
only alternate, it is "unranked" but if you're truly higher priority then you receive a deferred acceptance
people can and have been pulled off the deferred acceptance list and can matriculate when they initially intended i.e. become no longer deferred
Wait, what does deferred acceptance mean? Can you elaborate please

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/27 and received a waitlist email, due to the class being full. I’m not sure if this is different from any other alternate status but the term waitlist was specifically used so there is a waitlist? I dunno lol, hoping it turns to an A for all of us!

Interviewed 2/27 and received a waitlist email, due to the class being full. I’m not sure if this is different from any other alternate status but the term waitlist was specifically used so there is a waitlist? I dunno lol, hoping it turns to an A for all of us!
I got the same!

sorry I thought I was posting in the COMP-NW forums
Some people for the Pomona campus, I'm not sure how many, have gotten deferred acceptances for class of 2025. In the acceptance it says that if any spots open up in the class of 2024 that deffered acceptees would be first to be considered.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

I thought there would be more movement by now. In May there could be more since students have to commit to one medical school?
Based on last years threads ppl were getting off in May/June. When I called that’s also what they told me to expect movement starting around that time.

I thought there would be more movement by now. In May there could be more since students have to commit to one medical school?
Admission results might get delayed across the board due to COVID (my assumption at least)

Reactions: 1 users

I got alternate list and interviewed 2/27. During the presentations, I remember them mentioning that there is a difference between alternate and waitlist in terms of ranking. I don't remember which one is better tho

Interviewed 1/30 and got alternate status. Still not sure what this means in terms of the ranking for the overall waitlist. Is the ranking deferred>alternate>waitlist or deferred>waitlist>alternate?? Based on the interview dates it seems as if it’s the former, but last year’s thread says otherwise. Any insight is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to find this year's match list?

It was posted to our class page, nothing offical from the school yet

Hey a few questions, I'm planning to attend here this year.
Is the curriculum for the 1st and 2nd year overly-difficult at WesternU? Are the exams made to fail a percentage of the class? If you do fail a single course, do you have to remediate an entire year? In general, does the class struggle to pass classes or do a lot of students attain HP/Honors?

For 3rd and 4th year, is it difficult to attain rotation sites? Is it difficult to get a high pass/honors grade?
Does anyone know if there's a class facebook page or something of that nature?

thanks

Is the curriculum for the 1st and 2nd year overly-difficult at WesternU? Are the exams made to fail a percentage of the class? If you do fail a single course, do you have to remediate an entire year? In general, does the class struggle to pass classes or do a lot of students attain HP/Honors?

For 3rd and 4th year, is it difficult to attain rotation sites? Is it difficult to get a high pass/honors grade?

thanks
I can’t really speak to the details of all the curriculum and rotation site but there is a Facebook page. There is a link somewhere in this thread, as well as if search WesternU COMP class of 2024

thanks
Disclaimer, I'm a first-year so I can't speak to the difficulty of the second-year curriculum. I personally believe the school tries really hard to pass you, I think most med schools do this because it looks REALLY bad if people drop/fail out. I haven't had to think about the remediation process but I believe you get multiple chances to retake a test/course before the kick you out. I think for the past few blocks, the overall class average was around Pass/HP with a decent number of ppl getting Honors.

Yet again, I'm only a first-year but I heard there is some luck with rotation sites and there are some tricks to get one if you REALLY want it, but I have not gone through it yet so I don't know for sure.

Pass/High Pass/Honors does not really matter your first two years(pre-clinical), it only really matters your 3rd-4th year(clinical).

There is already a FB page up, look up "WesternU COMP Class of 2024", there are only ~60 ppl in there right now so not sure if you guys should be joining or not?

Are interviews invites still being rolled out?

Are interviews invites still being rolled out?
Unlikely. They overfilled their class this year very early. Deferred Acceptances were given out, then alternate status'. Doubtful there will be any more interviews.

Have any accepted students heard about financial aid yet?

when I emailed about financial aid because I am supposed to be doing ISAC. They told me not to expect my award letter until 30 days before school starts. At which time you will also be able to register for school and classes.
When people say financial aid award letter does that mean a scholarship from the school or Fasfa student loans?

When people say financial aid award letter does that mean a scholarship from the school or Fasfa student loans?
I don’t think it’s scholarships from the school, as far as I know Western doesn’t offer huge amounts of money, and the scholarships they do offer aren’t even open to apply for until July I believe. So I think it’s more about what money you’re deciding to take out on loans. I could be wrong though. Just what I’ve noticed from my research and my few emails with the Financial aid office there at COMP.

It means all financial aid that is going to be offered to you: Federal loans + merit and need scholarships. Last I checked, there are no recruitment scholarships i.e. need/merit scholarships offered to incoming students at WesternU-COMP so it would be just Federal loans. Right now, scholarships are for current students; the applications for these become available sometime after the term starts (~October maybe).

Edit: Federal financial aid only comes in the form of loans. There are no grants for graduate/professional students :*(

Last edited by a moderator:
It means all financial aid that is going to be offered to you: Federal loans + merit and need scholarships. Last I checked, there are no recruitment scholarships i.e. need/merit scholarships offered to incoming students at WesternU-COMP so it would be just Federal loans. Right now, scholarships are for current students; the applications for these become available sometime after the term starts (~October maybe).
I was told by the financial aid office it would be summertime for us to be able to apply to those scholarships, not October. Just FYI

when I emailed about financial aid because I am supposed to be doing ISAC. They told me not to expect my award letter until 30 days before school starts. At which time you will also be able to register for school and classes.

Hi there, second year here! To clear up some things:

The financial aid letter will only include Federal Loans offers. If you're doing ISAC, you'll receive your award letter towards the end of April or May. If you accept the loans, the school will automatically pull out the tuition before transferring the remaining amount via direct deposit. On your first day of ISAC, there will also be registration and financial aid administrators at your orientation to answer any questions or address any pending items.

As someone mentioned above, WesternU scholarships are only available for current students with the application cycle going from October until January. The scholarships you would be able to apply for during the summer are outside scholarships such as HPSP, Public Health Service, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there, second year here! To clear up some things:

The financial aid letter will only include Federal Loans offers. If you're doing ISAC, you'll receive your award letter towards the end of April or May. If you accept the loans, the school will automatically pull out the tuition before transferring the remaining amount via direct deposit. On your first day of ISAC, there will also be registration and financial aid administrators at your orientation to answer any questions or address any pending items.

As someone mentioned above, WesternU scholarships are only available for current students with the application cycle going from October until January. The scholarships you would be able to apply for during the summer are outside scholarships such as HPSP, Public Health Service, etc.
Thank you!! Makes a lot more sense now.

Does anyone know if WesternU has computer requirements? Can I buy a macbook or do they require windows for their tests?

This is what I found on their webpage. And now I'm worried because I literally just bought the new MacBook Air for med school and its processor doesn't meet the requirements. Does anyone know if this is a hard requirement?

So we use examsoft And examplify for most tests and people can use iPads for those, so air would be fine, but the NBME exam we take twice a year requires a computer. Attached are the requirements OAA sent out for that exam.

Attachments

• E528A9E1-5964-4CFE-BC26-5560AE5117D2.png
    E528A9E1-5964-4CFE-BC26-5560AE5117D2.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 145
So we use examsoft And examplify for most tests and people can use iPads for those, so air would be fine, but the NBME exam we take twice a year requires a computer. Attached are the requirements OAA sent out for that exam.
This was really helpful, thank you!!

I interviewed in October and was put on the alternate list, is it too late to send in a LOI?

Have they sent out any information about doing the background check?

Hi there, I know this is a long shot but I received an email in January my application had been reviewed and was under consideration for an interview. After that, I sent an additional letter of recommendation from my boss and a LOI. I never heard anything back but my friend who also applied this cycle had his application updated to a denial a month ago. He never received the same email about being considered for an interview. I sent another email asking for an update and reiterating my interest. I'm not sure why I have not received any news but against my better judgment, I still have hope.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Hi everyone! Was previously accepted here long ago so lost some information... Would anyone let me know if Western has sent out information regarding setting up email addresses and if there is any deadline for financial aid? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Was previously accepted here long ago so lost some information... Would anyone let me know if Western has sent out information regarding setting up email addresses and if there is any deadline for financial aid? Thanks!
Check your accepted student portal for email and student account set up.
This is the link for everything you need to know and do regards your documentation and there is a link to financial aid related things as well.

Thanks so much lol! Long time no checking trying to get on track now...

Did not get an official II but have not received a word of rejection either.

LoL me too. I submitted my application in June 2019.
I believe that the last interview day they had was in March based off a previous post. I’m not sure how the COVID situation could be affecting the admissions team but I believe the interview season is over.

deferred admission here. is it true there will be some kind of movement in may/june that would work favorably for deferred admissions?