2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deferred admission here. is it true there will be some kind of movement in may/june that would work favorably for deferred admissions?
Hey I am deferred as well. April 30th people with MD acceptances have to narrow it to 1 school. May 15th AACOMAS will release all info on how many acceptances and deposits students have. They state that schools can withdraw acceptance offers from students who hold multiple acceptances after that point(with a 2 week warning).
What that means for us is that hopefully we’ll see movement May/June as premeds with multiple acceptances choose to attend another school. It’s been hard waiting but I think we’ll have a good chance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I am deferred as well. April 30th people with MD acceptances have to narrow it to 1 school. May 15th AACOMAS will release all info on how many acceptances and deposits students have. They state that schools can withdraw acceptance offers from students who hold multiple acceptances after that point(with a 2 week warning).
What that means for us is that hopefully we’ll see movement May/June as premeds with multiple acceptances choose to attend another school. It’s been hard waiting but I think we’ll have a good chance!

AWESOME! thank you so much for the info!

Alternate list person here.

Is it just me or is it kind of strange that they've deferred so many people into the class of 2025?

Like what's the plan, are they going to do this every year, which really leaves us back where we started except now a few people have to wait a year for medical school? Did they accidentally interview too many people this year? Are they expecting more waitlist movement than normal? I just don't really understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at big picture, Western having an unusually large number of deferred applicants could be a good thing for the school. By offering students they deem to be acceptable, they are in a sense increasing the competitiveness of the remaining seats next year. Because if you think about it if you force those students to reapply, chances are they’ll reapply elsewhere including MD schools and this just increases their yield. Especially since a lot of borderline MD caliber applicants apply later in the cycle. It’s just good business.... or a complete miscalculation... either or.

Hi guys, is the curriculum here P/F or ABCD? Thank you!!!

Deferred acceptance here. Is there really that many of us who’re in this position? I mean I’m sure there’s some of us who’ve chosen other schools and ultimately won’t be accepting this offer so that should narrow down this list a bit.

Deferred acceptance here. Is there really that many of us who’re in this position? I mean I’m sure there’s some of us who’ve chosen other schools and ultimately won’t be accepting this offer so that should narrow down this list a bit.
When I last spoke to admissions, 35 of us.

Eek. That’s a little more than I thought. Did you happen to ask if there was any ranking? When I asked, admissions kinda skirted around the answer just saying there was a decent chance of getting in for ℅ 2024.

Wait so you asked them directly and they told you? Yeah that’s more than I expected. When I talked to them they said the Waitlist/alternative list movement changes every application cycle. Sometimes they take a lot and sometimes they don’t.

Wait so you asked them directly and they told you? Yeah that’s more than I expected. When I talked to them they said the Waitlist/alternative list movement changes every application cycle. Sometimes they take a lot and sometimes they don’t.
Have any of you guys been accepted to other schools? I prefer western but also want to start school this year and am struggling to decide what to do. Wondering if anyone is in the same boat.

Have any of you guys been accepted to other schools? I prefer western but also want to start school this year and am struggling to decide what to do. Wondering if anyone is in the same boat.
I was accepted at other schools and chose western cuz of a myriad of reasons. I do want to start this year but western was all round my personal best choice...so I’m hoping for the best that I can start sooner rather than later :)

Deferred acceptance here. I am fortunate to have other acceptances, but I would love to attend Western. I am unable to postpone starting med school another year... so here is to hoping we get pulled into the 2024 class!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just talked to the admissions counselor Christopher Vu and this was his response regarding how likely it is for deferred admission candidates to be admitted this fall. They had about 60 WITHDRAWALS the past 2 years!! If it's true that there's only 35 deferred admissions, there's a high chance for all of us:)

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.56.14 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Just talked to the admissions counselor Christopher Vu and this was his response regarding how likely it is for deferred admission candidates to be admitted this fall. They had about 60 WITHDRAWALS the past 2 years!! If it's true that there's only 35 deferred admissions, there's a high chance for all of us:)

View attachment 304875
A concern is that perhaps they’ll accept a smaller class size even after the drop outs due to the virus. Things could be very different this year. All we can do is try our best to hang in there

Those who withdrew, did you send an email or is there a page on the applicant portal?

A concern is that perhaps they’ll accept a smaller class size even after the drop outs due to the virus. Things could be very different this year. All we can do is try our best to hang in there
Highly doubt they will reduce the entering class size. Not to be pessimistic but, the school needs the revenue more than ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda confused, is it so that Alternate list applicants are behind the Deferred applicants in terms of the waitlist?
Yes. Deferred students were already accepted but due to the class being full they have been placed in next years class. So if spots open up, deferred students are first. Then the alternate status

It may be too early for any official information to have been released, but does anyone know anything from within the university or from the office of admissions regarding online class for Fall 2020? I'm sure an email will be sent if that decision gets made, but as an incoming student from out of town it'd be ideal to know before looking seriously into housing for the year. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
It may be too early for any official information to have been released, but does anyone know anything from within the university or from the office of admissions regarding online class for Fall 2020? I'm sure an email will be sent if that decision gets made, but as an incoming student from out of town it'd be ideal to know before looking seriously into housing for the year. Thanks!
From recently talking to a friend who is a first year, they haven't told them anything. So like you said I would imagine they will send something out but I don't think they know as of yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Current first year here, they said the university have discussed online classes during fall as a possibility, citing CSU Fullerton decision to move their classes online (a college near us). But as of now, there is official decision and they are still trying to figure all of this out. It’s complicated Bc COMP is part of the western university which means the university president makes decisions for all the colleges on campus. We also have a Lebanon branch in Oregon which has a different set of circumstances than us down here buT they need to make decisions with both campuses in mind. It’s frustrating to be in limbo, like all of us are, but I’d suggest you find housing here just to have it so when they decide to open back up, you won’t have to scrabble you find a place to live. I know rent is moderately expensive but tbh, what is an extra $500-800/month to the nearly 60k tuition....

Current first year here, they said the university have discussed online classes during fall as a possibility, citing CSU Fullerton decision to move their classes online (a college near us). But as of now, there is official decision and they are still trying to figure all of this out. It’s complicated Bc COMP is part of the western university which means the university president makes decisions for all the colleges on campus. We also have a Lebanon branch in Oregon which has a different set of circumstances than us down here buT they need to make decisions with both campuses in mind. It’s frustrating to be in limbo, like all of us are, but I’d suggest you find housing here just to have it so when they decide to open back up, you won’t have to scrabble you find a place to live. I know rent is moderately expensive but tbh, what is an extra $500-800/month to the nearly 60k tuition....

Absolutely, lots of factors to consider between both campuses and their many colleges. Hopefully this semester has returners prepared for what to expect. If they do send an email, hopefully they'd give an estimate as to when they'd expect to open back up, money saved is money earned I suppose.

I know rent is moderately expensive but tbh, what is an extra $500-800/month to the nearly 60k tuition....

No matter how we rationalize it, it's still 500-800 bucks plus fees plus 4 years of interest = $669-1,070. A lot of people have this mentality so I don't mean to call you out personally (maybe you were joking). Just saying that is a dangerous mentality. Imagine having an extra $669 to $1,070 in your pocket right now. That's how we should be thinking about it.

But yea, in this case, wasting a month's rent might unavoidable. I've been looking for places that do month-to-month and a move in date as late as possible. These places aren't a ton of these kinda of places, but I'm finding an ok number. It is still early when it comes to place hunting so more will probably open up. Worse case, you could plan to AirBnB the first weeks of school while waiting for the official announcement.

Last edited:
No matter how we rationalize it, it's still 500-800 bucks plus fees plus 4 years of interest = $669-1,070. A lot of people have this mentality so I don't mean to call you out personally (maybe you were joking). Just saying that is a dangerous mentality. Imagine having an extra $669 to $1,070 in your pocket right now. That's how we should be thinking about it.

But yea, in this case, wasting a month's rent might unavoidable. I've been looking for places that do month-to-month and a move in date as late as possible. These places aren't a ton of these kinda of places, but I'm finding an ok number. It is still early when it comes to place hunting so more will probably open up. Worse case, you could plan to AirBnB the first weeks of school while waiting for the official announcement.
I'm just giving my advice, feel free to follow it or not. I don't go throwing money around and I don't come from a wealthy family/background. I advise moving in earlier rather than waiting bc med school is stressful enough, I rather just pay the extra 600-1000 + whatever interest that will build up (it will def be more than 4 years interest, you won't be paying back your loans right after you graduate, at least not all of it, so you are probably looking at 10+ year interest) if it will eliminate unnecessary stress.

Another pro is that it helps separate you from your home/family/etc so you can get into the study mindset (some of my classmates are struggling this block bc they are now at home with way more distractions making it hard for them to focus on school).

Mental health is important, so is personal finances, gotta weigh your options

I'm just giving my advice, feel free to follow it or not. I don't go throwing money around and I don't come from a wealthy family/background. I advise moving in earlier rather than waiting bc med school is stressful enough, I rather just pay the extra 600-1000 + whatever interest that will build up (it will def be more than 4 years interest, you won't be paying back your loans right after you graduate, at least not all of it, so you are probably looking at 10+ year interest) if it will eliminate unnecessary stress.

Another pro is that it helps separate you from your home/family/etc so you can get into the study mindset (some of my classmates are struggling this block bc they are now at home with way more distractions making it hard for them to focus on school).

Mental health is important, so is personal finances, gotta weigh your options

Lots of good advice. I agree in this situation paying a month's rent isn't a waste. I was just commenting on that mentality in general. My apologies if I was being too direct.

Just received an email saying “the admissions process is now closed”. Does this mean a rejection for us waitlisters? Bit confused

I think it would just mean they're officially done with interviews

Can any current students speak on their experience living at the daumier? I have seen some reviews about break-ins in their parking lot and would like to know more. Also, if anyone has recommendations on apartment complexes that students live at in claremont or chino hills?

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current students speak on their experience living at the daumier? I have seen some reviews about break-ins in their parking lot and would like to know more. Also, if anyone has recommendations on apartment complexes that students live at in claremont or chino hills?

Didn’t live there, but please don’t live at the Daum.

1. It’s expensive for what you get, and the maintenance can often be poor
2. You’ll be stuck on campus (don’t do this to yourself) even though the majority of people will end up watching lectures online at home
3. You’ll be in Pomona, which around that area can be sketchy (e.g. there have been shootings right around there) and there’s also just not as much to do there as Claremont or Chino Hills

College Park and Paseos are popular in Claremont area. I forget the complex names in Chino Hills. But honestly, finding a house or townhouse with a couple other people in Claremont or Chino Hills is doable and usually less expensive and better value than the apartments.

Didn’t live there, but please don’t live at the Daum.

1. It’s expensive for what you get, and the maintenance can often be poor
2. You’ll be stuck on campus (don’t do this to yourself) even though the majority of people will end up watching lectures online at home
3. You’ll be in Pomona, which around that area can be sketchy (e.g. there have been shootings right around there) and there’s also just not as much to do there as Claremont or Chino Hills

College Park and Paseos are popular in Claremont area. I forget the complex names in Chino Hills. But honestly, finding a house or townhouse with a couple other people in Claremont or Chino Hills is doable and usually less expensive and better value than the apartments.

How many mandatory hours a week do you have on campus?

How many mandatory hours a week do you have on campus?

It really depends. Besides anatomy, OMM, and clinical skills classes most stuff is not mandatory attendance; however, there is the occasional lecturer that decides they want to have some sort of mandatory workshop or something. Also, not sure what their plan is for next year given COVID - it could be very different.

Majority of stuff is non-mandatory.

It really depends. Besides anatomy, OMM, and clinical skills classes most stuff is not mandatory attendance; however, there is the occasional lecturer that decides they want to have some sort of mandatory workshop or something. Also, not sure what their plan is for next year given COVID - it could be very different.

Majority of stuff is non-mandatory.

So would it be the standard 8-10 hours a week like most schools? How many days a week are you on campus?

Hi all! Was hoping current students could give some insight as to the best areas to live/not live for an incoming DO student? I am torn as to whether to live near campus (the Daum, 777, Monterey station) or in a neighboring town (claremont, la verne, montclair). I know it would be convenient to live on campus and likely to meet more students but also know it is not the best area with not much to do close. I know the neighboring towns are overall nicer with more to do around but am worried about the hassle of commuting to campus/being farther away. Any insight is much appreciated!

Anyone think we could hear news today?
One can only hope the last time I checked before the 15th, there was no movement from
the waitlist at all (info from the school). I am hoping for something now. And according to the previous poster, the waitlist is ranked. Good luck to everyone holding your breath and all.

Hi all! Was hoping current students could give some insight as to the best areas to live/not live for an incoming DO student? I am torn as to whether to live near campus (the Daum, 777, Monterey station) or in a neighboring town (claremont, la verne, montclair). I know it would be convenient to live on campus and likely to meet more students but also know it is not the best area with not much to do close. I know the neighboring towns are overall nicer with more to do around but am worried about the hassle of commuting to campus/being farther away. Any insight is much appreciated!
I live ~20-30 minutes from campus and I really enjoy it, granted I enjoy driving. I use the drive in the morning to listen to a podcast and the drive back at night thinking about whatever. I never run into traffic going in either direction. I have a lot of friends who live in Dauim, 777, and the helix, they seem to enjoy it. Tbh the biggest pro is being able to run home for lunch or going home to change out of anatomy lab scrubs, change into CMR/OMM attire, etc. If you commuter, you just pack a lunch and eat on campus (a lot of ppl do this) and bring all your changes of clothing (at most 3 but thats SUPER rare) and put it in your locker. If you are asian, living in Chino Hills or near Diamond Bar is like asian heaven.

I live ~20-30 minutes from campus and I really enjoy it, granted I enjoy driving. I use the drive in the morning to listen to a podcast and the drive back at night thinking about whatever. I never run into traffic going in either direction. I have a lot of friends who live in Dauim, 777, and the helix, they seem to enjoy it. Tbh the biggest pro is being able to run home for lunch or going home to change out of anatomy lab scrubs, change into CMR/OMM attire, etc. If you commuter, you just pack a lunch and eat on campus (a lot of ppl do this) and bring all your changes of clothing (at most 3 but thats SUPER rare) and put it in your locker. If you are asian, living in Chino Hills or near Diamond Bar is like asian heaven.

Is it hard to find parking throughout the day?

Is it hard to find parking throughout the day?
There is plenty of parking if you are not picky where you park, I only park in the parking structure. It’s usually easy to find parking at 8am, it gets full around 9-10, empties up at 11-12

It looks like there was a hold on my account to register for classes in the fall. I need to wait a few business days for it to clear. Is there any advantage to registering early like in undergrad? Or is it all the same?

It looks like there was a hold on my account to register for classes in the fall. I need to wait a few business days for it to clear. Is there any advantage to registering early like in undergrad? Or is it all the same?
It’s all the same, register by the deadline though

Are you doing ISAC? From what I understood in the email they sent to us ISAC students, only those who were doing ISAC would be able to register this early, everyone else would register in July but I could be wrong about that.