2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wait what is this about a 10 day turnaround?? i didn't see any deadline in their email

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. I'm a nontrad myself.
If you don't mind me asking, where are your 3 DO R's this early on?
Seems odd that you're the caliber of applicant to have an early MD II but also 3 early DO R's
I'm curious myself! Please PM me :)

I received my secondary on July 30th and submitted it on August 2nd.

I'm worried though because I took casper on July 30th, and probably won't have the results delivered until the 20th. Will I get dinged for not making the 10 day turnaround?

For those of you who submitted after the 10 day period, how long did it take for your application to be completed?

"Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?"

If I don't have anything in particular grade or extenuating circumstances-wise, should I leave it blank or explain what I'm doing in my gap year perhaps?

My LOR's still show waiting for both campuses. I submitted almost a month ago. Should I try contacting admissions? I am worried my app is not getting looked at because of this.

Reactions: 1 user
My LOR's still show waiting for both campuses. I submitted almost a month ago. Should I try contacting admissions? I am worried my app is not getting looked at because of this.

I have the same problem with everything else submitted. I completed my secondary 7/21 and Casper recurved 8/2.

"Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?"

If I don't have anything in particular grade or extenuating circumstances-wise, should I leave it blank or explain what I'm doing in my gap year perhaps?
Always try to sell yourself more. I'd put something there.

I have the same problem with everything else submitted. I completed my secondary 7/21 and Casper recurved 8/2.
Shauna Detweiler emailed me because I was having the same issue. I completed by secondary 7/25 and she said she saw my LORs and CASPer in at 7/26, but it can take up to 10 days for it to show due to the large number of applications they have, and mine still aren't showing. I think it's probably the same for you guys.

Note to others: You have to submit CASPER scores to this school before they will interview you!

Shauna Detweiler emailed me because I was having the same issue. I completed by secondary 7/25 and she said she saw my LORs and CASPer in at 7/26, but it can take up to 10 days for it to show due to the large number of applications they have, and mine still aren't showing. I think it's probably the same for you guys.

Note to others: You have to submit CASPER scores to this school before they will interview you!
Mine was submitted on 7/14 but my CASPer did not come in until last week. But my LOR are still not in there. In your communication with her was there any indication on whether they needed the CASPer score prior to reviewing LOR or is there no specific order and I am just still waiting for them to get through my letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was submitted on 7/14 but my CASPer did not come in until last week. But my LOR are still not in there. In your communication with her was there any indication on whether they needed the CASPer score prior to reviewing LOR or is there no specific order and I am just still waiting for them to get through my letters?
Didn't seem like there was any order or she didn't say that there was. My LORs aren't confirmed either but my CASPer is, so I think they have them, but portal isn't updated.

A little random, but is the social the day prior to the interview days worth attending?

A little random, but is the social the day prior to the interview days worth attending?
You get free dinner and the opportunity to talk to students. It won’t help or hurt you(unless you are rude or something)

No, leave it blank. Most things would come across sounding like an excuse. Only address perceived shortcomings at interviews if the admissions people ask you about it first.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is the 10 day turn around mentioned? I didnt see a deadline in the secondary email.

I just checked the secondary email and it says " Once we receive your application, letters of recommendation, and verified MCAT scores, your application will be ready for committee review. Posting of these documents could take 5 to 10 business days. Committee review may also take from five to ten business days depending on the volume of applications. " Are you guys talking about a 10 day turn around on their part? I applied DO and MD at the same time and saved my DOs for last. I received secondary for western like a month ago... I was under the impression DO cycle is longer? I have good stats so I thought I shouldnt be too worried about being super early for DO.

I just checked the secondary email and it says " Once we receive your application, letters of recommendation, and verified MCAT scores, your application will be ready for committee review. Posting of these documents could take 5 to 10 business days. Committee review may also take from five to ten business days depending on the volume of applications. " Are you guys talking about a 10 day turn around on their part? I applied DO and MD at the same time and saved my DOs for last. I received secondary for western like a month ago... I was under the impression DO cycle is longer? I have good stats so I thought I shouldnt be too worried about being super early for DO.

The 10 days starts after you first receive your secondary

The 10 days starts after you first receive your secondary

oh dang it seems your right, on their FAQs they mention a 10-day deadline, but only state that missing the deadline may result in a delay in processing. N=1 but I have a 515 MCAT and received my secondary on 7/8. I most likely wont be able to turn it in till Tuesday. I will report back on whether or not I get an interview in a month. It will give us an idea of whether there really is a 10 day deadline.

Got my interview invite yesterday. 507 mcat and 3.65 gpa

Did you hear back?

If you have a lot of clinical experiences and ties to the west coast then I think you have a good shot. Like I don’t have the sexiest gpa or mcat and I still got one early. My suggestion is while your waiting, to try to boost your application so you don’t waste a year if you don’t get in. Not trying to be a dick but I had zero interviews last cycle and after I added scribing to my already packed application, I got a 3 do’s and 1 md so far

If you have a lot of clinical experiences and ties to the west coast then I think you have a good shot. Like I don’t have the sexiest gpa or mcat and I still got one early. My suggestion is while your waiting, to try to boost your application so you don’t waste a year if you don’t get in. Not trying to be a dick but I had zero interviews last cycle and after I added scribing to my already packed application, I got a 3 do’s and 1 md so far
lool. I saw myself quoted but didn't remember what the context was. Sound advice!

lool. I saw myself quoted but didn't remember what the context was. Sound advice!
The worst part of being a reapplicant is knowing you wasted an entire year. This is actually my third time. The first time I applied all md to schools like Michigan northwestern etc, schools I had no business getting into. Anyways it hurt regardless hopefully you all can get somewhere but don’t waste a year if you can help it

Reactions: 2 users
Oh gosh lol I submitted my secondary way past 10 days.......

So I logged in today and the status of my application area has disappeared as it previously stated that my application has been sent to admissions for processing. Then I received an email today stating..... "Good News, Michael! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Pomona Campus Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time....." Anyone else experience this?

So I logged in today and the status of my application area has disappeared as it previously stated that my application has been sent to admissions for processing. Then I received an email today stating..... "Good News, Michael! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Pomona Campus Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time....." Anyone else experience this?
I did for the Lebanon campus. For Pomona, mine disappeared (no e-mail) but then came back to "in processing" though I've been complete forever!

When Western asks for you to upload your research, are they asking to upload abstracts or the whole paper? I have done several research papers so I wasn't sure how to approach this.

My status disappeared as well gahh wait is killing meeee

When Western asks for you to upload your research, are they asking to upload abstracts or the whole paper? I have done several research papers so I wasn't sure how to approach this.
Either is fine. For my pubs, I uploaded the whole papers since they aren't really that long.

So I received an email saying I had no physician letter and my app would be placed on hold. It was a mistake and I called yesterday. They already changed it which is good but if you have the same issue I recommend calling.

No, leave it blank. Most things would come across sounding like an excuse. Only address perceived shortcomings at interviews if the admissions people ask you about it first.
Hi, I actually had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Craft over the phone. I asked her about this section, and she highly recommended filling it out.
She said the COMP really likes to see how students fill out this section. She told me that if I were going to put great effort into any of my secondary prompts, it should be this one.
Hope this helps!

I've been trying hard to not check my portal, e-mails etc. but don't get my hopes up!

----, join us at WesternU Preview, and learn more about all we have to offer at Western University of Health Sciences.
Saturday, August 24, 2019

WesternU Preview is a chance to experience what we have to offer and, we hope, will help determine if WesternU is right for you.

At WesternU Preview you will:
  • Hear directly from WesternU faculty
  • Speak with current WesternU students
  • and, get all your Admissions questions answered.
Visit our WesternU Preview Page for additional details.

Please join us for this exciting event! Space is limited so register for WesternU Preview today. We look forward to seeing you on campus.

Sincerely,

Office of University Recruitment and
Strategic Enrollment Management

909-469-5330
[email protected]

I've been trying hard to not check my portal, e-mails etc. but don't get my hopes up!

----, join us at WesternU Preview, and learn more about all we have to offer at Western University of Health Sciences.
Saturday, August 24, 2019

WesternU Preview is a chance to experience what we have to offer and, we hope, will help determine if WesternU is right for you.

At WesternU Preview you will:
  • Hear directly from WesternU faculty
  • Speak with current WesternU students
  • and, get all your Admissions questions answered.
Visit our WesternU Preview Page for additional details.

Please join us for this exciting event! Space is limited so register for WesternU Preview today. We look forward to seeing you on campus.

Sincerely,

Office of University Recruitment and
Strategic Enrollment Management

909-469-5330
[email protected]
yeah, agreed, it hurts!!

Anyone here looking to attend WesternU's on-campus Preview on the 24th of August?

Does anyone know how to reschedule an II? I emailed the Assistant Director and she said I could do it on the portal. However, either I'm missing something completely obvious, or there's no option to edit the date. I'm navigating to the "Edit Registration" page and there's no option to reschedule the date. Any insight would be appreciated!

Does anyone know how to reschedule an II? I emailed the Assistant Director and she said I could do it on the portal. However, either I'm missing something completely obvious, or there's no option to edit the date. I'm navigating to the "Edit Registration" page and there's no option to reschedule the date. Any insight would be appreciated!
I have the same question!