2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then I checked again just now and now for Pomona the status part disappeared so hopefully I'm in the queue for review as well (no e-mail yet).
Has your status changed at Pomona, mine is still gone and I have not heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has your status changed at Pomona, mine is still gone and I have not heard anything?
Nope. I'm taking it as being under review. My status for Lebanon disappeared then I got an email. Not sure why Pomona didn't send an email.

I made a dumb mistake and didn't delete a half written sentence in my one of my essays in the secondary. Do ya'll think my chances are over? :(

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like my app got sent to the committee for review? I checked early this morning:

"Next Steps
Your application has been sent to Admissions for processing.

Status updates will be posted here. "

And then again just now and the above disappeared. This still appears on my Lebanon app.

Im assuming you never got an email to verify that your app was marked as complete? Just kept checking the portal?

Im assuming you never got an email to verify that your app was marked as complete? Just kept checking the portal?
Yep, never received an e-mail. My status in portal disappeared (same with Lebanon) but I know I'm under review from them (e-mail).

I’d be careful how much you email their office tbh. They, like all med schools, should document every interaction aka email you send so if you send too many and come off as neurotic, that probably won’t help. If you’ve sent one, just wait until you hear back. If they haven’t sent you an interview invite yet then they probably won’t for this batch anyways.

For the research question, if I just volunteered, is it fine if I don't upload anything?

If you didn’t do research. Then I’d leave it empty because you didn’t do it. You don’t have to have done research to get into med school. Probably helps but there’s no set template for getting in.

got an e-mail saying app is ready for committee review... hopefully can hear back soon

If you didn’t do research. Then I’d leave it empty because you didn’t do it. You don’t have to have done research to get into med school. Probably helps but there’s no set template for getting in.
The thing is I have actually looked at scientific articles and found useful info that a student in the lab ended up using, as well as have done a quantitative task whose results the student is collecting now to publish later. I guess I'm not sure if that is enough for research or if they want a thesis/published article with my name or something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I haven't done Casper yet...should I submit a secondary here? Anyone know how important casper is in the evaluation process?

Guys, I haven't done Casper yet...should I submit a secondary here? Anyone know how important casper is in the evaluation process?
It’s required. So you won’t get offered an interview without that score.

It's worth trying it it's late but not THAT late.
It’s NOT LATE. Late is post thanksgiving. You prob will need Casper for other schools too. This is the first year they are requiring Casper so no one knows how they will use the scores.

It’s NOT LATE. Late is post thanksgiving. You prob will need Casper for other schools too. This is the first year they are requiring Casper so no one knows how they will use the scores.

True, I have multiple friends who applied last August and got in so it’s def possible. I don’t think anyone uses casper yet tbh. It’s too new. Maybe next cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, I have multiple friends who applied last August and got in so it’s def possible. I don’t think anyone uses casper yet tbh. It’s too new. Maybe next cycle.
It’s slowly being phased in, a good number of MD schools and a small number of DO schools uses it, mostly low-yield schools tho.

It’s slowly being phased in, a good number of MD schools and a small number of DO schools uses it, mostly low-yield schools tho.
thanks! i think im gonna sign up for casper. hopefully i wont be late by the time i write it.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the same issue as I do. All of my recommendation letters have been submitted to AACOMAS, but I am not sure why on the status page of Western it still says that they are waiting for my science and DO letter. Everything got checked off except these two letters. I am wondering if it just takes a long time for them to get the letter or something.

congratulations that must be so exciting! I am envious right now hahahhaha. Are you from California? Best of luck

Thank you! and yes, i'm from California. good luck to you as well! Didn't feel the best about CASPer but not even too sure if schools use it critically to assess applicants.

Thank you! and yes, i'm from California. good luck to you as well! Didn't feel the best about CASPer but not even too sure if schools use it critically to assess applicants.
Yah casper was the one thing stopping me from submitting the secondary, but I decided I want to apply and I plan on submitting my secondary by the end of the day! Once again best wishes and thanks for your response

Secondary submitted 7/21/19
Interview invite sent 7/30/19
Interview Date 9/12/19
IS ; GPA 3.6 ; MCAT 512

Reactions: 3 users
For those who submitted after the 10-day mark, how long did it take for you to get your application verified as "complete"? I submitted a month ago and my status has not changed from "submitted."

I have everything complete and checked on my application. Is there somewhere that says application submitted or some way of confirming that they have my application?

For those who submitted after the 10-day mark, how long did it take for you to get your application verified as "complete"? I submitted a month ago and my status has not changed from "submitted."
It says:

Requests to Reschedule or Cancel Interview
Due to the high volume of applicants, we do not offer rescheduling of interviews. However, a request may be submitted at your own discretion. We understand that unexpected events may occur no matter how prepared you are. Therefore, if you need to cancel your interview, we require the professional courtesy of a phone call and/or e-mail by 5.p.m the evening before your scheduled interview date.
You can either leave a detailed voicemail with the Admissions Office at 916-686-7300 ext.3497 or send us a detailed e-mail at [email protected].
Failure to provide notification will be reported to AMCAS.

Asked admissions today at the preview day what they screened, and they changed the screen from 2.75 cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 cGPA and sGPA with a minimum 500 MCAT. Guess my 2.9 AACOMAS (3.0 AMCAS BCPM) GPA didn't cut it. Minimum 30 units post-bacc to take that GPA into account. I'll take my high MCAT elsewhere!
Is this screening for interviews or screening for secondaries?

I submitted my secondary within 10 days and my letters are now marked received what's the turn around time usually? I have read on previous posts about the status disappearing and then receiving an email signifying committee review but how long does that take? Both campuses for me are showing everything as received but I haven't heard anything

"Non-U.S. Citizen
On the previous (Personal) page of this application, you indicated your Citizenship country is not United States. Please upload a copy of your visa or permanent resident documents here:"

I do not have a Visa or Permanent resident document because I am a Canadian. I will not be able to apply for a Visa until I actually get my acceptance. I don't quite understand how to deal with this. Any ideas or people who experienced this?
i just left it blank
also, can you PM me, I have a few questions about applying as a canadian!

I submitted mine 30+ days after receiving the secondary. It was complete about 10 days later, less if you dont include weekends.

Edit: I checked my status over the weekend and it said my file was complete and sent to adcom. Now when I check the status is gone, theres nothing there. Im sure I didnt imagine the first status...

Does it say 10 day limit anywhere? Ive been so busy at work to have time to sit down and bust this beast of a secondary out...

Does anyone know if the mixed interview style is one traditional interview, and then a separate MMI type interview? or is it more of a traditional interview where they also will ask MMI type questions?

Does anyone know if the mixed interview style is one traditional interview, and then a separate MMI type interview? or is it more of a traditional interview where they also will ask MMI type questions?

Yes, traditional interview with 2-3 people and separate MMI interview

Does anyone know if there's a max word count on the Research Experience Question? I don't see any but then I was looking at my application proof and it cut off a whole section of my essay..which is odd..because the part showing is less than 500 words.

Just interviewed here today :)

It was straightforward and simple enough. I had a 1-on-1 interview with a professor who asked pretty basic questions, then the 2 MMI scenarios were nothing too out of the ordinary. They were roleplaying scenarios with actors.

There was not really any curveball questions or scenarios or anything like that. Just relax and do your best.

thank you!!

It was straightforward and simple enough. I had a 1-on-1 interview with a professor who asked pretty basic questions, then the 2 MMI scenarios were nothing too out of the ordinary. They were roleplaying scenarios with actors.

There was not really any curveball questions or scenarios or anything like that. Just relax and do your best.

Do they do morning or afternoon interviews? (or both?)

Did you have to prepare ethical and current news topics like people say to do for MMI?

II! not sure when i got it. No email just happened to check my portal today and saw it.

Nice!! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Yea! Kind of complicated. I submitted July 14th. They did not get my CASPer score until 8/2. Then I got an email after that saying one of my letters was not submitted properly. So my last LOR did not get finalized until 8/12. Got my II sometime this week between Wednesday and today.

Definitely was not the smoothest application experience of the cycle haha.

Yea! Kind of complicated. I submitted July 14th. They did not get my CASPer score until 8/2. Then I got an email after that saying one of my letters was not submitted properly. So my last LOR did not get finalized until 8/12. Got my II sometime this week between Wednesday and today.

Definitely was not the smoothest application experience of the cycle haha.

Hey, all that matters is that you nailed another interview right?? Good luck!!! You got this

Hey, all that matters is that you nailed another interview right?? Good luck!!! You got this
Yeah! Thank you! Add another one to the list. Excited it because its close to home for me.