2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a percentage on this school's first time COMLEX pass rate?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished my interview here today! SUPER chill. They were incredibly nice. 2 MMIs and one 30 minute interview. Seems like a great place to go.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my interview here today! SUPER chill. They were incredibly nice. 2 MMIs and one 30 minute interview. Seems like a great place to go.
Also interviewed here today. They really seemed like they had their stuff together, I would love to attend here.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s awesome! Better than Lebanon??

It looks like they’re aggressively trying to build gme, which I can def appreciate. The match list looks good and they have the same rules regarding grades and attendance as Lebanon. The third year rotation sites look good and they have a lot of time for auditions during your 4th year. Not sure if I like it better, but it does have some good pros.

How long did it take everyone to have their letters of rec marked as received after submitting the secondary?

Does anyone know the MCAT range for this school? (Not the average, i already found that).

I'm still waiting and I submitted on 08/29 ..but maybe it's because they haven't received my CASPer scores yet!

Just interviewed yesterday. Great school, super nice staff, and the students seem very friendly and happy. The only downside is Pomona itself is sketchy and dangerous. Students live in Claremont usually which is about 10 (?) minutes from campus or in a gated community nearby. But otherwise it's a great school, the campus itself is safe, and once again everyone is so nice! Definitely not a stressful interview but then again I haven't heard back yet so that could be misleading I guess lol

idk why people keep saying pomona is so sketchy lol but then again i’ve lived in east LA so pomona doesn’t look THAT bad in comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a II! And the last I heard anything from them was back in 7/27 when I submitted my secondary lol. No update emails then bam today!! I also completed my secondary way after the 10 days.
omg you give me hope. Somehow I totally missed the 10 day deadline and submitted way late around 8/3 ... praying I got an II invite soon

would you guys be willing to give a little more information about the interview and the topics they covered.? Obviously don't tell us any specific questions. For example, I was reviewing some bioethics topics( such as euthanasia, needle sharing, genetic privacy etc), current events (Sackler fam, e-cigs, VA policies), and major issues in healthcare. Did you guys even touch these topics during your interview or am I going a little overboard?

would you guys be willing to give a little more information about the interview and the topics they covered.? Obviously don't tell us any specific questions. For example, I was reviewing some bioethics topics( such as euthanasia, needle sharing, genetic privacy etc), current events (Sackler fam, e-cigs, VA policies), and major issues in healthcare. Did you guys even touch these topics during your interview or am I going a little overboard?

No need to prepare for the MMI, just be a nice human person

Hi everyone,

Is it too late to apply to this school? I’m also OOS.

Hi all! My status page on Pomona's portal says that letters are on "awaiting status". However, AACOMAS already has all of my letters. What do I do for them to get these letters? They're the only ones missing with a red X mark.

Hi all! My status page on Pomona's portal says that letters are on "awaiting status". However, AACOMAS already has all of my letters. What do I do for them to get these letters? They're the only ones missing with a red X mark.
mine is the same actually

they should turn green within two weeks of submitting the secondary.

I got rejected pre secondary for having an mcat <500
I will say this may not be as cut and dry, as I had sub 500 last year and still had a secondary (although I’m IS and local plus my LOR were from alum so idk if that had anything to do with it)

Contact them. They messed up my letters

on the casper website it says my results were delivered to westernU pomona, but when i log into the portal it says not received....anyone else?

also for the physician letter...did anyone have one that wasn't about shadowing, but research instead?

What did you guys wear from the pre interview dinner?

For any current students or applicants who have interviewed -- how exactly is the curriculum structured (lecture-based or PBL ?) or any input on how rotations are assigned (is it based on student preference or assigned by the school?) Thanks in advance !!

Anyone that interviewed 9/12 heard anything?

What abbreviation did you guys use for "Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific"?

how in depth did they ask you about your research. I only know what my basic over view of my research project.

how in depth did they ask you about your research. I only know what my basic over view of my research project.
They didn't ask me anything about research. I get the impression that this school does not emphasize research very heavily.

Been complete since early august and silence so far...do they do silent rejections or send any updates?

They didn't ask me anything about research. I get the impression that this school does not emphasize research very heavily.
+1. No questions about my lackluster lab career.

They said at the interview that no students on campus do research. that’s more of an MD thing from what i’ve gathered

Did you actually use both? I was thinking to call it COMP only.
WesternU is the overall university name which includes all the health colleges. COMP is the specific college of osteopathic medical within the greater WesternU umbrella. Tldr, use WesternU COMP if you have space

They said at the interview that no students on campus do research. that’s more of an MD thing from what i’ve gathered
People definitely do research, it’s just a lot more limited in availability and prestige compared to MDs. There is an entire learning track thing dedicated to research(google it)

People definitely do research, it’s just a lot more limited in availability and prestige compared to MDs. There is an entire learning track thing dedicated to research(google it)
Ya sorry i spoke too absolute. i meant more it wasn’t a huge focus at the school and not to worry about not knowing your research project in depth

Do you know if the school focuses on training physicians that serve underserved populations?

Do you know if the school focuses on training physicians that serve underserved populations?
I think most schools would want to say that in theory. Pomona/inland empire is pretty underserved. Where the students want practice and live is variable. At least people i talk to, they mostly want to stay in California/SoCal in general. School does work with the community.