2019-2020 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Recent graduate here. Feel free to ask me any questions about the school and I will answer the best I can. I will be posting about the plus and minuses of the school when I can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are interested:

WCUCOM Official Class of 2019 Match list(from graduation ceremony)

Anesthesiology
Geisinger Health System, Danville, PA
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN

Diagnostic Radiology
LSU New Orleans

Dermatology
ADCS, Orlando, FL

Emergency Medicine
UMMC Jackson x2
Kendall Regional Medical Center, Miami FL
Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, NY
UCF Gainesville, Gainesville, FL
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
Genesys Medical Center, Grand Blanc, MI
Merit Health Wesley, Hattiesburg, MS
CUSOM/ Southeastern Health, Lumberton NC
Jefferson Health Northeast, Philadelphia, PA
Sunrise Health GME, Las Vegas, NV
Norman Regional Health System, Norman, OK

Internal Medicine
U Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis TN x2
New York Presbyterian, Flushing NY
University of South Alabama, Mobile AL x2
Virginia Tech/Clarion Clinic, Roanoke VA
UMMC, Jackson MS x4
LSU New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
Baptist Memorial Hospital, Jonesboro AR x2
Geisinger Health Systems, Danville PA
LSU Lafayette, Lafayette, LA
Grand Stand Regional, Myrtle Beach, SC
Bingham Memorial Hospital, Blackfoot, ID
Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago IL
Gunderson Lutheran Medical Foundation, LaCrosse, WI
Coney Island Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
Houston Methodist, Houston, TX
CUSCOM/Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, Fayetteville, NC
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University, Detroit MI
Baptist Memorial Hospital, Columbus, MS
Santa Barbara College Hospital, Santa Barbara, CA

Family Medicine
Spatanburg Regional Health Care, Spartanburg SC x2
LSU Lafayette, Lafayette LA x2
NMMC, Tupelo MS x3
EC Healthnet, Meridian MS
Northeast Regional Medical Center, Kirksville MO x2
LSU Bogaloussa, Bogaloussa, LA x2
Forest General Hospital, Hattiesburg, MS x4
Baton Rouge General, Baton Rouge, LA
St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis MO
Baylor Scott and White, Temple TX
UTSW, Dallas TX
Medical City Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX
University of Arkansas Medical School, North Little Rock, AR
Overlook Hospital, Summit, NJ
Christus Health,San Antonio, TX
Osteopathic Medical Consortium, Tulsa, OK

Family Medicine/NMM
Medical City Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX

Pediatrics
UTMB Galveston, Galveston TX
Baylor Scott & White, Temple TX x2
Oklahoma State Health Sciences Center, Tulsa OK
UMMC, Jackson MSx3
Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA
Texas Tech University, Amarillo, TX

General Surgery
Beaumont Health, Royal Oak, MI
UMMC, Jackson, MS
Creighton University Hospital, Phoenix, AZ
Mercy Hospital Medical Center, Des Moines, IA
Geisinger Health System, Danville, PA

Psychiatry
UMMC, Jackson MS

PM&R
Vidant Medical Center/ECU Brody School of Medicine, Greenville NC

Otolaryngology
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC

Neurosurery
UMMC, Jackson, MS

OBGYN
LSU Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA

TRI
Coliseum Medical Center, Macon GA
Merit Health Wesley, Hattiesburg MS x2
St Johns Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY
St Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received and submitted! Just got the email saying my application is complete and under review, fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Anyone else receive a secondary from here? I submitted back in June and haven't heard anything.

II today! Anyone else going August 5th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II today as well! Completed 6/27. Good luck everyone! I am excited to hopefully meet ya'll one day!!

Very interested in this school and wondering what my chances might be..
-MCAT: 501 (taken twice, same score)
-overall GPA: 3.37, sGPA: ~3.0, 15 credit hours of informal post bacc GPA: 3.8(ongoing)
-2.5 years working as medical assistant
- From rural underserved area in the south with interesting life story
-2 DO letters
- great ECs
I'm pretty worried about my low GPA in the pre-reqs( unfortunately messed around the first few years). Any advice is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Very interested in this school and wondering what my chances might be..
-MCAT: 501 (taken twice, same score)
-overall GPA: 3.37, sGPA: ~3.0, 15 credit hours of informal post bacc GPA: 3.8(ongoing)
-2.5 years working as medical assistant
- From rural underserved area in the south with interesting life story
-2 DO letters
- great ECs
I'm pretty worried about my low GPA in the pre-reqs( unfortunately messed around the first few years). Any advice is appreciated!

I just got in this last application cycle (no waitlist):

- MCAT: 500 (taken once, scores were not equitable between sections)
-overall GPA: 2.98, post-bacc GPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.58
- 1 year volunteering in local VA hospital ~6-8 hrs./wk
- 1 year working (paid) as phlebotomist for local blood bank
- Born and raised in ag community (under-served), VERY non-traditional (I'm in my 30's and have a former career outside of medicine along with an undergraduate in English)
- 2 DO letters, 3 previous science professor letters, 1 former boss letter (6 total)

What I *think* I had going for me for this school in particular (because I was only waitlisted at one other out of 20 apps given those stats) was that I interviewed pretty well (at least they said so), my family all lives in the south currently and I intend to stay in these parts (though I'm not originally from here), the religious affiliations of the school align with my own ideals and beliefs (going back to that interviewing well thing), and I got my application in by early August (I know based on the numbers, I was one of the last dozen given a spot without having to go through waitlist). I was on the low end stats-wise, but I think my "other stuff" helped me out.

P.S. - I'm not the norm for this school or any other medical school. Everything says I shouldn't be going to medical school and definitely shouldn't be getting in my first cycle of applying. I prayed like no tomorrow for a year straight, worked my butt off, and tried to compensate in everything I could for that overall GPA. My percentage of getting accepted to any medical school according to all the stats was 7% or less. You can get in too, but know that it's an uphill battle and you gotta put a lot in to make up for that little GPA number that everything seems to be based on. People get in to medical school one of two ways: great numbers on paper or personable likability. Folks like you and I have to polish up on our people skills to make up for our less than ideal stats. :p Send out those applications like water from a broken faucet with realistic expectations and you'll make it.

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know how strict they are with their LOR requirement? I have the 2 science faculty letters, but one of them did not teach me

Does anyone know how strict they are with their LOR requirement? I have the 2 science faculty letters, but one of them did not teach me

I know they aren’t super strict when it comes to the DO letter because my physician letter was from an MD. I’d imagine they wouldn’t be super strict about your situation. That said, if they end up needing another letter, they’ll definitely let you know.

I know they aren’t super strict when it comes to the DO letter because my physician letter was from an MD. I’d imagine they wouldn’t be super strict about your situation. That said, if they end up needing another letter, they’ll definitely let you know.
Alright thanks. I'll try to call and check on Monday

Can someone please post the prompt questions?

only one essay question; The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation. In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission.

Does anyone know how many applicants are interviewed during one session? Also, what is usually the acceptance rate post interview?

Does anyone know how many applicants are interviewed during one session? Also, what is usually the acceptance rate post interview?

5-6 are interviewed per session usually and I don’t have an exact rate, but it’s pretty high. If they offer you an interview, it’s your spot to lose in my opinion.

My current aspiration is to pursue family medicine. However, I am still open to other specialties. As such, I am wonder how the research, and clerkship experiences are at WCUCOM.

I got an interview a few weeks ago, I am scheduled for Aug 19. I am so excited!

Those who interviewed today, how was your experience? What are your thoughts about the school after visiting it?

Reactions: 3 users
Those who interviewed today, how was your experience? What are your thoughts about the school after visiting it?

Late reply, but I really enjoyed it! More so than I thought. I already had an acceptance from a different school coming into the interview, but I was pleasantly surprised at WCUCOM. The faculty and students were very nice. Seriously. Everyone stopped by (of their own free will) during our interview to see if they could answer any questions. The faculty was very proud of their school.

Strengths:
- Supportive faculty and students. Almost every student said their favorite thing about the school was how open door the faculty were
- Relatively low tuition (3rd cheapest private medical school in the nation)
- I’m not sure what the criteria was, but it was mentioned that for the past 6 years, placement rates averaged 98% (contrary to rumors on SDN)
- First ever DO neurosurgery match at University of Mississippi
- Southern food
- Cadaver lab was impressive, full dissection, open 24hrs

Improvements:
- Somewhat rural, but has all the regular chain stores (Target, Best Buy)
- Facilities on the outside looked “classic” to say the least, but inside was more contemporary

Other:
- Primary Care driven (~70% of placements are primary care, a healthy portion being EM, several surgery)
- Heavy waitlists movement. One student said he interviewed in May, got accepted in June.

Overall, I enjoyed my visit. Of course, after combing through SDN, I was very apprehensive, but everyone that was offered an interview should definitely take the chance to visit. Take everything here with a grain of salt. The school broke down financial aid, step by step, which wasn’t something my other interviews did, which is nice because medical school is a financial commitment. Interview questions were very standard (why DO, why WCUCOM, one ethical question, specific questions about yourself). Very conversational, 3 on 1, 20-30 mins. Interviews are one a time so if you want to leave early, volunteer to go first. The school was upfront: Will you receive a medical education here? Yes. Will you have state of the art everything? No. Will you be a doctor and pass boards? Yes, you have all the resources in your reach to do so. Will this school be a good fit for everyone, certainly not. But won’t find out if you don’t interview :)

I hope this helped, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not sure I really understand the way clinical rotations are set up at this school. Could anyone comment on them and what the pros and cons are compared to other schools?

So when are people calling to see if we got accepted. Interviewed 8/9.

I know they decide today so I’m wondering if we should call at the end of the day or just tomorrow?

I was wondering that too but I think they said that we can call today.

I was wondering that too but I think they said that we can call today.
I was planning on calling tomorrow afternoon! I heard some people received a call the day after last cycle. If you call today, please let us know if you find out anything!! :) Good luck everyone aaaa~

I just called. They just started their meeting, so it'll be a few hours before we can find out anything

Accepted!!

Reactions: 6 users
What number did you call?
Just the main number to the school that’s on google and they transferred me. It was a very pleasant phone call!