2019-2020 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview for March 23rd and I was just wondering if it’ll just be for the waitlist at this point since it’s pretty late in the cycle? Also, is it likely to get off the waitlist? I know it varies year to year but I have to travel a good bit to get there and just wanted get an idea of what I’ll be getting myself into because I’m also waitlisted at Campbell and LECOM right now. Thanks in advance :)
I interviewed this month and there was no mention of the class being full as of now. Also, Dr. Weir gave outright acceptance as a possibility, so I am assuming there are some open spots as of now. No idea about the chance of getting accepted from the waitlist. They did mention that they only interview 20-25% of applicants. Also some current students mentioned that close to 80% of those interviewed get an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed this month and there was no mention of the class being full as of now. Also, Dr. Weir gave outright acceptance as a possibility, so I am assuming there are some open spots as of now. No idea about the chance of getting accepted from the waitlist. They did mention that they only interview 20-25% of applicants. Also some current students mentioned that close to 80% of those interviewed get an acceptance.
Thank you so much!

did anyone have trouble sending in the deposit?
i sent my deposit through the post office according to the instructed address and post office still cant deliver mine.
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you accepted here, did you call Dr. Weir after the committee meeting to find out about the acceptance or did you get a call from him?

Yes, I called few minutes ago and found out that I am accepted. They were working on acceptances letters when I called. Good luck!
Congrats on your acceptance, I think I’ll wait out for the email, too nervous to talk haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really fortunate to have been accepted here. I really enjoyed the interview day and getting the chance to find out more about this school. But I also interviewed at another well established DO school recently, so I am trying to make a pros and cons list of this school compared to the other school. For those of you who have decided to attend WCUCOM and were accepted at another school or received other interview invites, what made you choose WCUCOM?

I am really fortunate to have been accepted here. I really enjoyed the interview day and getting the chance to find out more about this school. But I also interviewed at another well established DO school recently, so I am trying to make a pros and cons list of this school compared to the other school. For those of you who have decided to attend WCUCOM and were accepted at another school or received other interview invites, what made you choose WCUCOM?
Hey! I was in a similar situation about a few weeks ago! I have two acceptances so far this cycle and I ended up choosing WCUCOM.

The tuition and living expenses are HUGE factors for me because my parents are paying for my medical school expenses and I don't want them to pay more than they have to. WCUCOM is one of the cheapest DO schools in terms of tuition and living expenses. Mississippi is a VERY cheap place to live in. The majority of the students I have spoken to told me their rent was only $400 to $700 a month. It is even cheaper if you have a roommate.

The environment of the institution was very positive. The students have a very strong support system among each other and there is not too much of a "gunner" vibe. Everybody is extremely nice and honest about the medical school, including the faculty. During my interview, I asked if there were any opportunities for research during medical school and instead of giving a BS answer, they were honest and said that they were not a research heavy medical school and that I will realistically have to find research somewhere else. They are definitely not trying to hide anything about the medical school and are very open about it, which is something I really appreciate it.

During the orientation, instead of recommending to purchase books and supplies directly from them, they said it will be best to purchase e-books to save money. Even when discussing housing, they recommended us to live off of campus because it's cheaper and nicer than living at the dorms. They also provide a discount on popular materials to prepare for STEP 1 such as UWORLD and Sketchy. I know this seems like small stuff but it genuinely seems like they are not greedy and want the best for their students financially.

Another reason was the introduction of the new dean and the large faculty change they had recently. Student suggestions and critiques about the coursework and exams are discussed frequently and changes are made to favor what the students want (within reason of course). For example, when talking with students, they told me that a few years ago they had exams every week, but now, it is approximately every two to three weeks after giving feedback on the coursework and exams. This is huge because a lot of schools will not do this or just brush it off. Here, it seems like they want students to succeed and will help them as much as they can.

Personally, I am aiming to go into primary care, specifically internal medicine. It is not essential for me to attend a highly ranked medical school unless I want to match into competitive specialties. WCUCOM is targeted towards individuals who want to go into primary care, so for me, this is very ideal.

These were the main reasons that I chose WCUCOM, but if you have anything else you want to ask, just let me know! I'll try my best to answer them!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey! I was in a similar situation about a few weeks ago! I have two acceptances so far this cycle and I ended up choosing WCUCOM.

The tuition and living expenses are HUGE factors for me because my parents are paying for my medical school expenses and I don't want them to pay more than they have to. WCUCOM is one of the cheapest DO schools in terms of tuition and living expenses. Mississippi is a VERY cheap place to live in. The majority of the students I have spoken to told me their rent was only $400 to $700 a month. It is even cheaper if you have a roommate.

The environment of the institution was very positive. The students have a very strong support system among each other and there is not too much of a "gunner" vibe. Everybody is extremely nice and honest about the medical school, including the faculty. During my interview, I asked if there were any opportunities for research during medical school and instead of giving a BS answer, they were honest and said that they were not a research heavy medical school and that I will realistically have to find research somewhere else. They are definitely not trying to hide anything about the medical school and are very open about it, which is something I really appreciate it.

During the orientation, instead of recommending to purchase books and supplies directly from them, they said it will be best to purchase e-books to save money. Even when discussing housing, they recommended us to live off of campus because it's cheaper and nicer than living at the dorms. They also provide a discount on popular materials to prepare for STEP 1 such as UWORLD and Sketchy. I know this seems like small stuff but it genuinely seems like they are not greedy and want the best for their students financially.

Another reason was the introduction of the new dean and the large faculty change they had recently. Student suggestions and critiques about the coursework and exams are discussed frequently and changes are made to favor what the students want (within reason of course). For example, when talking with students, they told me that a few years ago they had exams every week, but now, it is approximately every two to three weeks after giving feedback on the coursework and exams. This is huge because a lot of schools will not do this or just brush it off. Here, it seems like they want students to succeed and will help them as much as they can.

Personally, I am aiming to go into primary care, specifically internal medicine. It is not essential for me to attend a highly ranked medical school unless I want to match into competitive specialties. WCUCOM is targeted towards individuals who want to go into primary care, so for me, this is very ideal.

These were the main reasons that I chose WCUCOM, but if you have anything else you want to ask, just let me know! I'll try my best to answer them!
Thank you so much!!! You touched upon every thing that I had contemplated about WCUCOM and why I would be successful at this school. The students and the faculty were amazing on the interview day and I agree with you that they were very honest about the research opportunities that would be available to us. I really appreciated that even though they admitted that they were not many research opportunities available to students, they will always be supportive if we choose to initiate our own research.

The students that I talked with also said the same thing about the new dean and faculty change. They mentioned how approachable the new faculty members are and how receptive the new dean is to feedback from the students there.

Again, I really appreciate your thorough response!

Hi guys, does anyone fly to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Thursday (04/02) for an interview on 04/03? If you does, I'm wondering how you can get to the hotels in Hattiesburg from the airport. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi guys, does anyone fly to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Thursday (04/02) for an interview on 04/03? If you does, I'm wondering how you can get to the hotels in Hattiesburg from the airport. Thank you!
During my interview day, someone flew from that airport and I think he rented a car at the airport. I personally flew to the Gulfport airport and rented a car there.

^I’m interviewing April 3rd too! I found a rental car through Budget for $32/day with pick up right at Louis Armstrong Airport (which will be nice because I don’t get in from Boston until 11:30 Thursday night).

If anyone rents a car to go from Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport to Hattiesburg, can I carpool with you? I am willing to split the car rental and gases. Thank you very much !

During my interview day, someone flew from that airport and I think he rented a car at the airport. I personally flew to the Gulfport airport and rented a car there.
Ah, I see. Thank you for the information!

How long have people been receiving interview invites after completing secondaries?

How long have people been receiving interview invites after completing secondaries?
Mine was about a week after secondary completion, maybe a little less. I think they are interested in you if you get a secondary, best of luck.

Mine was about a week after secondary completion, maybe a little less. I think they are interested in you if you get a secondary, best of luck.

thanks for the reply! Haven’t heard back yet so just concerned! Does anyone know if the class is full yet?

thanks for the reply! Haven’t heard back yet so just concerned! Does anyone know if the class is full yet?
They sent me an email about my interview since it was supposed to be on the 23rd & said that the class isn’t full yet but it’s getting close! However, they also said that a good amount of people get admitted off of the waitlist too :)

They sent me an email about my interview since it was supposed to be on the 23rd & said that the class isn’t full yet but it’s getting close! However, they also said that a good amount of people get admitted off of the waitlist too :)
Are they cancelling interviews?

Acceptance received via email 4/1 @ 2:30 PM CST!!! Interviewed 3/27 through Zoom due to corona virus

Reactions: 4 users
For those that interviewed through zoom, did you receive an invitation for the zoom meeting via email the day of the interview? Also, was the format still 3-1 and was it 3 separate interviews or all at once?

For those that interviewed through zoom, did you receive an invitation for the zoom meeting via email the day of the interview? Also, was the format still 3-1 and was it 3 separate interviews or all at once?
Zoom invitation was sent a few days before interview via email. We were told to request entry 5 mins before interview appointment and then were admitted into Zoom meeting. Interview format was 3-1 with Mr Weir and 2 faculty members and was ~25 mins long

Reactions: 2 users
Zoom invitation was sent a few days before interview via email. We were told to request entry 5 mins before interview appointment and then were admitted into Zoom meeting. Interview format was 3-1 with Mr Weir and 2 faculty members and was ~25 mins long
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Can someone go through their interview experience over zoom? Did they decide to throw in more questions and how you did you prep for the interview?

Can someone go through their interview experience over zoom? Did they decide to throw in more questions and how you did you prep for the interview?
Really relaxed interview, I’d say the most relaxed one that I’ve had. 3 on 1 style with questions coming one at a time, with different questions being asked by different interviewers. All the basic interview questions (I.e. “Why D.O.”, “Why WCUCOM”, etc...), plus a couple extra questions about your personal passions behind medicine, what specialty you’re interested in, and an ethical question directed at the field you answered to the specialty question. You only get ~25min so answer their questions as directly as you can, and have a couple questions of your own for the end. Overall great interview interaction despite being done virtually, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So I received a secondary and completed it in December. Still waiting back for an interview from here!

So I received a secondary and completed it in December. Still waiting back for an interview from here!
They’re still sending out interview invites. I think they keep sending them until June so I wouldn’t lose hope

If anyone on here is a current student, I have a few questions I would like to ask about your experience or just to get a general overview of your experience thus far at this school. Specifically, I am curious about how the assigning of rotation sites works. I am having trouble choosing between this school and another school. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Does this school accept post interview update letters? My interview was on Zoom so I wasn't able to learn much about that kinda stuff.

Any idea when movement from alternate list usually occurs from past years and if it is ranked?

Any idea when movement from alternate list usually occurs from past years and if it is ranked?
year 1 friend of mine said they start pulling in mid-May and then continues till mid to late July. unsure of the ranking part

It is ranked. You can call to receive your number on the list.

If anyone on here is a current student, I have a few questions I would like to ask about your experience or just to get a general overview of your experience thus far at this school. Specifically, I am curious about how the assigning of rotation sites works. I am having trouble choosing between this school and another school. Thanks in advance!

During the fall semester of your 2nd year, they come in and give a presentation about all of the available rotation sites (hubsites as they call them). Then you rank the entire list of sites and provide a rationale for your top 3 choices. A committee of faculty and admin then take everyone's rankings and assigns each student to a hubsite based on their rankings. There is a mininum and a maxium # of students allowed at each site, and they give you that information at the meeting. They try to give preference to people who choose a hubsite based on family needs or desire for residency in the site, etc. Then they let you know in December what hubsite you will be at for 3rd year. Once the assignments are sent out, there is a period of time where you can switch hubsites with another student who is willing if you are not satisfied (*some sites are not eligible for switching and they will tell you this at the meeting also). I believe that most 2nd years this year were satisfied with their rankings, but I know that not everyone got their #1 choice. Hope that helps.

Edit for clarification: a "hubsite" is a region or city where the majority of your rotations will be. Some larger hubsites (Hattiesburg area, Gulf Coast area) will have you at clinics and hospitals all over the place, other smaller hubsites will have you at fewer clinics/hospitals.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard back since their meeting on April 29?

They've apparently filled the class but are in the process of forming the wait list for anyone curious

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a difference between the waitlist and alternate list and usually how many people are on there?

Is there a difference between the waitlist and alternate list and usually how many people are on there?
From what i understood they have a deferred list and from that list they form the alternate list. So i think the waitlist is the same as the alternate list

As previously mentioned, you guys can call Donna Day to find out your number on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN