2019 new grads: How has the job search been going for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New Grad Info:

Me: Current PGY1 at a large medical center, aiming for a PGY2. So far just rolling along I guess, but I made the decision wisely in that I am living at home with my parents and paying off my loans during my PGY1. I've already got an emergency fund saved and 1 loan paid completely off, so I guess I at least planned my residency well from that standpoint.

My best friend had to leave her PGY1 due to unforeseen circumstances in November. She is currently applying and interviewing at jobs across the east coast. She has had 2-3 interviews so far since the start of the year which is when she started sending out apps. She's starting local (Penn) and broadening out accordingly.

Other best friend is the wildcard and I mean WILD. Graduated late, moved out to Louisiana and by chance got a $60/hr job that she technically wasn't qualified for full time! I love her story so much; I don't think many people at my school thought she'd make it (family situations, mental health, finances) but she's proving them all wrong. Her job is working with mental health/HIV populations in an independent store and she is LOVING it and doing so well.

I think really for all of us networking (not what you know, who you know) and putting yourself out there was key. I networked my way into my residency (only got 1 interview and matched, crazy still to me), my friend in LA just happened to be at a town hall where she clicked with an independent that was hiring and she vibed so well with them, and my friend with the interviews has actually been going to hackathons and networking events where she has met a ton of people. You have to put yourself out there to see results and I think that's three examples of people in transition where the results have not panned out to plan but have still been pretty good.

Most people want it to where they get handed a job that pays 80$ an hour but are not willing to work for it... Congrats... if you work hard enough, put yourself out there, yes you can get work and get good money.. you may have to move from San Francisco or New York.. but you will have to go to little more outlying areas, you will find a job.

Members don't see this ad.

In my area, Walmart pays over $20 if you are a PTCB certified tech with just a couple of years of experience

But after your intern year, pharmacist make more than 60$ an hour. You dont make that as a PTCB.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I have heard that Pharm.Ds can become a medical liaison for Pharmaceutical company. There seems to be somewhat of a demand in those jobs in my area. What are your thoughts on Pharm.Ds becoming science liaisons? Is that a potential job qualified for a new grad to pursue instead of retail or hospital?

Medical Science Liaison jobs are not easy to land for new grads. I dont want to say impossible but I havent seen it happen. I have seen PharmDs go from retail to less than 1 year of Med Info to MSL positions, but that was more than 10 years ago. Not sure how feasible that is now.

Like just about any other job in industry, you have to primarily show you are:

1) First and foremost, a scientist. A scientist doesnt just mean the lab bench. If you're interested in the least bit in the industry, its worth researching what it mean to think and be a healthcare/clinical scientist.

2) A strong communicator - written and spoken.

3) Someone with business savvy and maybe even entrepreneurial spirit.

4) A self-driven problem solver.

5) Someone comfortable with ambiguity, who can carve a path when theres little to no directions.

But after your intern year, pharmacist make more than 60$ an hour. You dont make that as a PTCB.
They’ve been making $60 an hour since 2005. And now salaries start lower. So what’s the point? That’s really not good money anymore when you look at what others in other fields are making (with less investment and loans) and their potential to make more in the future with REAL SKILLS.

Reactions: 1 users