2019 OAT Experience

nbantz

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I read a lot of these OAT experience threads from the past and they were super helpful for me, so I figured I would make one too! If anyone has any specific questions please let me know.

I plan on applying this upcoming cycle for the class of 2024! I took the OAT yesterday (June 14) and it went well. As far as the day of the test, my experience was very similar to previous posts EXCEPT I was given 2 number two pencils and a 4 page yellow scrap paper book to do work on instead of a dry erase board. I personally liked this much better!

I scored a 370TS/370AA! Here are my subject breakdowns and experiences:

310 Biology
As everyone else says this section was a smattering of random topics and questions. I had questions on transcription/translation, analyzing experiments, endocrine system, manmal characteristics, and a many more topics. I would definitely say breadth over depth for this section. I have a pretty strong background in Bio and have a bio minor so I underestimated this section and didn’t study very much at all. It clearly showed in my score compared to the other sections.

360 Gen. Chem.
I used Chad’s videos for Gen Chem, OChem, and Physics. I felt like those videos and quizzes really helped me and I didn’t feel caught off guard by anything. It was mostly simple calculations, ideal gas law, stoichiometry, redox, balancing reactions, mole to mole ratio, pH, pOH and relationship to OH and H concentrations, and other basics covered by Chad. I didn’t have any solubility questions and anything that involved a difficult calculation. Know your main concepts and you will be golden.

400 O. Chem.
I was pleasantly surprised by my score for this section. I have a good background in OChem, but like everyone else I am not a huge fan of the subject. I watched all of Chad’s videos, made flash cards of the reactions taught by Chad, and used this DAT outline to study reactions.

I had a few questions on acid/base strength, quite a few on meta/ortho para directors, a few in spectroscopy, and quite a few reactions. Overall, this section was straightforward if you memorize what Chad tells you to!

380 Reading Comp.
Reading comprehension has always been one of my strongest subjects. I did not read the articles or make a road map. I strictly used search and destroy and had plenty of time to finish. I think I had 8 or so minutes left at the end to review some questions. My passages were pretty simple. Two of them were scientific in nature and one was more anecdotal/historical. Overall, this section wasn’t bad at all!

390 Physics
Physics was soooo much more simple than Kaplan’s practice exams. If you memorize your equations and understand force diagrams and the basic concepts you will be totally fine. I had a terrible physics professor for both semesters of physics last year, so I went in to studying thinking that this would be my lowest score. I watched Chads videos and did some practice on DAT Bootcamp. The free ADA was pretty representative of the question difficulty on the actual exam. There were no complex calculations and about 60% calculations and 40% conceptual.

380 Quantitative Reas.
To be honest, I don’t remember much sticking out from this section. The calculator was super helpful for me. My number pad on the keyboard did work for inputting numbers in the calculator so that saved me time. Know how to solve a combined rate problem (if joe paints a room in 3 hours and tom in 2 and a half, how long to paint together). Know how to solve system of two equations. There were a few comparison questions like you see in the Kaplan practice book but they were much more simple. Overall, time can be a factor here, so if you don’t know how to do a problem right off the bat, mark it and come back because there are some simple questions towards the end that you want to get to.

Sorry this is super long, haha. I hope this is helpful! I took the first two Kaplan tests before studying much at all. Took the Full Kap 2 about a week before my exam after I had gone through all of Chad’s videos. Then, 3 days before my exam took the ADA. Kaplan tests are representative of the difficulty of Bio and RC, but overall my scores for TS/AA were 30-40 points lower for Kaplan than the actual OAT. Here are my practice test scores:

Short Kap/Full Kap 1/Full Kap 2/ADA/Real OAT

340/300/300/340/310 Biology

310/310/350/370/360 Gen. Chem.

310/320/350/350/400 O. Chem.

310/390/380/—-/380 Reading Comp.

270/290/320/360/390 Physics

370/330/320/—-/380 Quantitative Reas.

290/280/340/360/370 TS

320/300/340/—-/370AA

Again, let me know if I can help anyone with questions! This test is totally doable, just go in with confidence and it will show in your scores. Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Thank you for your experience! Do you recommend taking the ADA official practice exam for last? I'm taking the Kaplan Online Practice exams leading up to my OAT in July and they're a little discouraging and my scores are jumping everywhere, especially in physics and gen chem and I'm unsure on how to find the appropriate amount of practice

These are my scores so far
AA: 300/320/340/320
TS: 290/330/360/310

Bio: 280/350/340/330
Gen Chem: 250/290/390/270
Organic: 320/340/340/340
Physics: 290/290/310/290
Reading Comp: 350/340/320/380
QR: 320/330/320/330

Thank you for your experience! Do you recommend taking the ADA official practice exam for last? I'm taking the Kaplan Online Practice exams leading up to my OAT in July and they're a little discouraging and my scores are jumping everywhere, especially in physics and gen chem and I'm unsure on how to find the appropriate amount of practice

I think doing the ADA last will give you a confidence boost heading into your exam. The Kaplan tests are honestly much harder than the real exam, especially calculation-wise. I think with those test scores on Kaplan practice tests you will be fine! I was discouraged by my Kaplan scores and even thought about moving my test back. My Kaplan 2 scores were a week before my exam and after that I just reviewed Chads outlines and my own flash cards. So my Kaplan 2/ADA scores were taken with the same amount of studying as the real OAT of that makes sense! You are going to do great! Just be confident and you got it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think doing the ADA last will give you a confidence boost heading into your exam. The Kaplan tests are honestly much harder than the real exam, especially calculation-wise. I think with those test scores on Kaplan practice tests you will be fine! I was discouraged by my Kaplan scores and even thought about moving my test back. My Kaplan 2 scores were a week before my exam and after that I just reviewed Chads outlines and my own flash cards. So my Kaplan 2/ADA scores were taken with the same amount of studying as the real OAT of that makes sense! You are going to do great! Just be confident and you got it.

Thanks that was well needed! The last practice exam score was a huge drop from the week before so I was very discouraged. I'm just gonna try my best to get my gen chem and physics scores up

Members don't see this ad :)
wow! thanks for the awesome recap!!! Can you post the free ADA exam? I'm starting to study for the OAT to probably take the test in Sept/October. Is there anything else I should be using to study? I have the Kaplan book and going to use coursesaver!

wow! thanks for the awesome recap!!! Can you post the free ADA exam? I'm starting to study for the OAT to probably take the test in Sept/October. Is there anything else I should be using to study? I have the Kaplan book and going to use coursesaver!

No problem! I attached the free ADA exam to this post. If you google "Raw OAT Score Converter" there is a table that will help you determine your score based on how many questions you get right.

I used coursesaver videos, Kaplan book, DAT Bootcamp Physics (Free!), the free ADA and Kaplan practice exams. For gen chem, ochem, and physics Chad's videos will teach you more than enough to get a good score! Good luck. :)

Attachments

• Practice OAT.pdf
    934.2 KB · Views: 330
Did you have a harder time with timing on the Kaplan practice exams versus the ADA/Real OAT?

Timing in the physics sections has been kicking my butt!

Did you have a harder time with timing on the Kaplan practice exams versus the ADA/Real OAT?

Timing in the physics sections has been kicking my butt!

Yes! There are many complex calculations on the kaplan tests that waste time. The real OAT has no complex calculations at all. I struggled with timing on the Kaplan exams also. On the real OAT I had at least 5 minutes left at the end of every section to review and check marked questions.

However, I will say the QR section can be tricky for timing on the OAT. I would suggest marking and skipping questions you aren’t sure how to approach or time-consuming questions. I found that there were 4/5 simple questions toward the end of the QR section. I’m wondering if they put those there to basically test to see if you worked fast enough to get to them. So getting to those questions can easily bump up your score! But yeah, timing wasn’t an issue for me on the real exam. The ADA is pretty representative, so time yourself on that and if you get through that you should be fine. Hope this helps!

Hey everyone! I read a lot of these OAT experience threads from the past and they were super helpful for me, so I figured I would make one too! If anyone has any specific questions please let me know.

I plan on applying this upcoming cycle for the class of 2024! I took the OAT yesterday (June 14) and it went well. As far as the day of the test, my experience was very similar to previous posts EXCEPT I was given 2 number two pencils and a 4 page yellow scrap paper book to do work on instead of a dry erase board. I personally liked this much better!

I scored a 370TS/370AA! Here are my subject breakdowns and experiences:

310 Biology
As everyone else says this section was a smattering of random topics and questions. I had questions on transcription/translation, analyzing experiments, endocrine system, manmal characteristics, and a many more topics. I would definitely say breadth over depth for this section. I have a pretty strong background in Bio and have a bio minor so I underestimated this section and didn’t study very much at all. It clearly showed in my score compared to the other sections.

360 Gen. Chem.
I used Chad’s videos for Gen Chem, OChem, and Physics. I felt like those videos and quizzes really helped me and I didn’t feel caught off guard by anything. It was mostly simple calculations, ideal gas law, stoichiometry, redox, balancing reactions, mole to mole ratio, pH, pOH and relationship to OH and H concentrations, and other basics covered by Chad. I didn’t have any solubility questions and anything that involved a difficult calculation. Know your main concepts and you will be golden.

400 O. Chem.
I was pleasantly surprised by my score for this section. I have a good background in OChem, but like everyone else I am not a huge fan of the subject. I watched all of Chad’s videos, made flash cards of the reactions taught by Chad, and used this DAT outline to study reactions.

I had a few questions on acid/base strength, quite a few on meta/ortho para directors, a few in spectroscopy, and quite a few reactions. Overall, this section was straightforward if you memorize what Chad tells you to!

380 Reading Comp.
Reading comprehension has always been one of my strongest subjects. I did not read the articles or make a road map. I strictly used search and destroy and had plenty of time to finish. I think I had 8 or so minutes left at the end to review some questions. My passages were pretty simple. Two of them were scientific in nature and one was more anecdotal/historical. Overall, this section wasn’t bad at all!

390 Physics
Physics was soooo much more simple than Kaplan’s practice exams. If you memorize your equations and understand force diagrams and the basic concepts you will be totally fine. I had a terrible physics professor for both semesters of physics last year, so I went in to studying thinking that this would be my lowest score. I watched Chads videos and did some practice on DAT Bootcamp. The free ADA was pretty representative of the question difficulty on the actual exam. There were no complex calculations and about 60% calculations and 40% conceptual.

380 Quantitative Reas.
To be honest, I don’t remember much sticking out from this section. The calculator was super helpful for me. My number pad on the keyboard did work for inputting numbers in the calculator so that saved me time. Know how to solve a combined rate problem (if joe paints a room in 3 hours and tom in 2 and a half, how long to paint together). Know how to solve system of two equations. There were a few comparison questions like you see in the Kaplan practice book but they were much more simple. Overall, time can be a factor here, so if you don’t know how to do a problem right off the bat, mark it and come back because there are some simple questions towards the end that you want to get to.

Sorry this is super long, haha. I hope this is helpful! I took the first two Kaplan tests before studying much at all. Took the Full Kap 2 about a week before my exam after I had gone through all of Chad’s videos. Then, 3 days before my exam took the ADA. Kaplan tests are representative of the difficulty of Bio and RC, but overall my scores for TS/AA were 30-40 points lower for Kaplan than the actual OAT. Here are my practice test scores:

Short Kap/Full Kap 1/Full Kap 2/ADA/Real OAT

340/300/300/340/310 Biology

310/310/350/370/360 Gen. Chem.

310/320/350/350/400 O. Chem.

310/390/380/—-/380 Reading Comp.

270/290/320/360/390 Physics

370/330/320/—-/380 Quantitative Reas.

290/280/340/360/370 TS

320/300/340/—-/370AA

Again, let me know if I can help anyone with questions! This test is totally doable, just go in with confidence and it will show in your scores. Good luck everyone! :)
Hi!

Thank you so much for updating I am taking my OAT at the end of July and I have been using only chad's for orgo, chem and physics. Do you have any suggestions for Biology? And do you think just chads is good enough for ochem, chem and physics? I have been feeling overwhelmed because people are telling me destroyer is good and kaplan and bootcamp I just feel all over the place! I have the Kaplan book as well and I am working through chads. But if you have any advice for Biology and QR that would be great! Congrats on your scores btw that's awesome!!:)

Hi, how are you studying for Biology? I am struggling with which biology resource works the best! Thanks!

How long did you study for? And also, do you think I will be fine if I just use Chad's videos for Ochem, GenChem, and Physics? I don't really have the money to spend on additional resources and I am trying to keep costs at a minimum. What do you suggest for actual practice problems if I cannot get the DAT bootcamp. Thanks!

Hi, how are you studying for Biology? I am struggling with which biology resource works the best! Thanks!

The DAT Bootcamp has a great outline of the bio section (+100 pages) and i think it encompasses just about everything

How long did you study for? And also, do you think I will be fine if I just use Chad's videos for Ochem, GenChem, and Physics? I don't really have the money to spend on additional resources and I am trying to keep costs at a minimum. What do you suggest for actual practice problems if I cannot get the DAT bootcamp. Thanks!

I really studied hard for about a month and a half. For about a month prior to that month and a half I was just doing some review here and there but never anything major. Chad's videos were my primary resource for GChem Ochem and Physics. Chad's quizzes are also good review to help make sure you maintain the information and a good source of practice problems. The DAT Bootcamp Physics is free so use that to practice physics problems too. I mainly did Kaplan practice tests for practice problems and the ADA free test. I did not buy anything but Chads Vidoes and the big Kaplan Book!

Hi!

Thank you so much for updating I am taking my OAT at the end of July and I have been using only chad's for orgo, chem and physics. Do you have any suggestions for Biology? And do you think just chads is good enough for ochem, chem and physics? I have been feeling overwhelmed because people are telling me destroyer is good and kaplan and bootcamp I just feel all over the place! I have the Kaplan book as well and I am working through chads. But if you have any advice for Biology and QR that would be great! Congrats on your scores btw that's awesome!!:)

I didn't do very well on Bio so my advice may not be great lol, but that is because I barely studied Bio at all. I have pretty strong background in BIO and took that for granted. Many of the bio classes I took were 2-3 years ago. I also reasoned that I would have a better shot of memorizing things that would directly impact my scores in Gchem Ochem and Physics, so I decided to focus on those. But I have heard Ferralis Notes are good and the Kaplan book has a good overview.

I know that feeling of being overwhelmed by resources and content all too well. What I would say to that is, use Chads as a guide. Go through videos and quizzes. If you are struggling with a topic, dig deeper. If you know a topic well, move on! Overall, I was feeling very stressed about this test a couple weeks before because my kaplan practice scores werent what I wanted. I contemplated pushing my test back. I decided not to and went for it and I am really happy with my scores. The kaplan practice tests are much much more complicated than the actual exam. If you go in with confidence you will be just fine!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, so is the DAT Bootcamp Physics pretty representative of the difficulty on the OAT? I was going to try to do all the questions

Your insight is incredibly helpful! Thank you for taking time to post it.

Did you pay for Chads videos? Or did you just use the free version?

Hi, so is the DAT Bootcamp Physics pretty representative of the difficulty on the OAT? I was going to try to do all the questions

I took my OAT last week, and I think exams 6-10 are more representative of the difficulty of the physics section (coming from someone who isn’t too strong in physics). I would definitely recommend going through all of those physics questions since it’s good practice.

Hi!
How did you find Chad's videos quizzes compared to the real OAT? Did you find the level of difficulty similar?

Yes, I would say it is relatively similar! There are no hard calculations on the real OAT. I don't even know that I had any two step calculations except for a few in Chem!

Yes, I would say it is relatively similar! There are no hard calculations on the real OAT. I don't even know that I had any two step calculations except for a few in Chem!

Thank you so much for responding and taking the time to write such a detailed post. Greatly appreciated! :)

Hiii! I had a Question about Organic Chem studying! i'm having a really hard time learning the reactions and was wondering if you have any advice on how to learn them?? Thanks!!

Hiii! I had a Question about Organic Chem studying! i'm having a really hard time learning the reactions and was wondering if you have any advice on how to learn them?? Thanks!!
Chad Videos! I used him for physics and O chem review and he was a life saver. I ended up with a 370 on O chem and a 380 on physics on the real OAT

Hi! I thought I would update about my 2019 experience. I bought a Kaplan self paced review in February but I didn't start really studying until about April. I highly recommend Chad videos for physics and Orgo, I went through his crash course for both and I did really well on these sections! I also had OAT destroyer books from 2017 that I fully completed and they were significantly harder than both Kaplan and the real OAT, but good practice. On test day I remember biology being so much easier than what I studied (I scored a 400), Gen Chem was more conceptual and if there was math it was super simple calculations. Orgo I honestly didn't know if I was answering most of the questions correctly or not, they weren't significantly hard but I wasn't super confident but I ended up with a 370. Physics was a JOKE on the real test. So so so easy, nothing like Kaplan, but Kaplan was excellent prep for it. RC I had two essays that were very dense and didn't do too great (350) and for QR I don't remember anything significant except there were about 4-5 questions that were set up with the two clauses and you had to decide which was significant to answer the question alone, separate, or taken together. All in all I scored AA: 370 (95th percentile ) and TS: 400

Hi! I thought I would update about my 2019 experience. I bought a Kaplan self paced review in February but I didn't start really studying until about April. I highly recommend Chad videos for physics and Orgo, I went through his crash course for both and I did really well on these sections! I also had OAT destroyer books from 2017 that I fully completed and they were significantly harder than both Kaplan and the real OAT, but good practice. On test day I remember biology being so much easier than what I studied (I scored a 400), Gen Chem was more conceptual and if there was math it was super simple calculations. Orgo I honestly didn't know if I was answering most of the questions correctly or not, they weren't significantly hard but I wasn't super confident but I ended up with a 370. Physics was a JOKE on the real test. So so so easy, nothing like Kaplan, but Kaplan was excellent prep for it. RC I had two essays that were very dense and didn't do too great (350) and for QR I don't remember anything significant except there were about 4-5 questions that were set up with the two clauses and you had to decide which was significant to answer the question alone, separate, or taken together. All in all I scored AA: 370 (95th percentile ) and TS: 400
You just saved me from a mental breakdown! I take my OAT tomorrow at 8am and I'm terrified

No problem! I attached the free ADA exam to this post. If you google "Raw OAT Score Converter" there is a table that will help you determine your score based on how many questions you get right.

I used coursesaver videos, Kaplan book, DAT Bootcamp Physics (Free!), the free ADA and Kaplan practice exams. For gen chem, ochem, and physics Chad's videos will teach you more than enough to get a good score! Good luck. :)

I know that you used chad videos to study, but are you referring to chadsprep.com where the ultimate bundle is $10 a month or coursesaver where it is $50 for one month? thanks!

I know that you used chad videos to study, but are you referring to chadsprep.com where the ultimate bundle is $10 a month or coursesaver where it is $50 for one month? thanks!

I used Kaplans book at the beginning of my studying. Then, I used the $50 coursesaver version for the month leading up to my exam! It was definitely worth the money and helped a TON!