2019: Official thread CWRU School of Dental Medicine c/o 2019

What resources did you use to affirm your interest in applying to Case?

• Facebook page

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Twitter feed

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Google+ page

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Free webchats

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Online mock interview masterclasses

• ADEA Predental Student Virtual Fair booth

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • The CWRU SODM website

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • On-campus recruitment visit.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Online recruitment visit to my predental club.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Official Thread for Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine for the entering class of 2015 / DMD Class of 2019. This thread is being monitored by director of admissions, Dr. Emil Chuck, so keep all conversations here as professional in tone as possible.

Information for competitive applicants
  • Website for Dental school admissions
  • Email [email protected] strongly preferred. Please include your name, AADSAS ID#, and payfee confirmation if applicable. Inquiries by phone without this information may be less than satisfactory, but the information is needed to verify your identity and maintain applicant confidentiality.
  • Refunds will only be issued with an official email copy of an AADSAS Fee Waiver.
  • Any immediate "breaking news" will be sent from our Facebook and Twitter feeds. We have a Google+ page too.
  • Review of AADSAS verified/complete applications will begin with those applications for which all supplemental items have been received (fee, ALL letters of evaluation assigned by the applicant, desired DAT score). File review on incomplete applications or those applications with pending DAT scores will be suspended until all information has been received.
Links we expect all desirable applicants and interviewing candidates to have accessed
Key approximate dates
  • First invitations for interview for AADSAS 2015: July 23, 2014. We extend invitations for interview on a monthly basis or as convenient.
  • Expected first day of interviews for AADSAS 2015: Monday, August 18, 2014.
  • Open webchat for applicants with dental students: scheduled for Monday, September 1, 2014 (Labor Day).
  • Expected AADSAS 2015 first offer date: Monday, December 1, 2014 (182 days from open date of AADSAS 2015).
  • Anticipated first day of mandatory orientation: Monday, August 3, 2015 (427 days from open date of AADSAS 2015)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for staying with us for the webchat. I answered questions for two more hours after our scheduled time (four hours!) so thank you for giving me the chance to address your questions!

If you missed the opportunity to attend the webchat on June 1, you can arrange to have this presentation be delivered to you "live" in an online predental club presentation to your peers. Contact Dr. Chuck to schedule such an opportunity; it may also be possible with travel schedules that he or Brian Sherman (assistant director of admissions) will be traveling close to you this fall or spring.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On our supplemental application fee website, we have already noted how many of our applicants apparently fail to read directions before submitting their application fee (we've documented 75% of those who submitted FAILED to follow instructions that were written on the same page), effectively providing a very negative first impression to our admission staff. It would be a shame to any applicant who works so hard to submit an early application to overlook instructions and present a less than professional adherence to detail.

Last edited:
On our supplemental application fee website, we have already noted how many of our applicants apparently fail to read directions before submitting their application fee, effectively providing a very negative first impression to our admission staff. It would be a shame to any applicant who works so hard to submit an early application to overlook instructions and present a less than professional adherence to detail.

Hello,

I understand that the requirements for letters of recommendations are two from a science faculty member and one from a clinical mentor. My school keeps all letters on file and combines it into one pdf file when uploading to AADSAS, so I will have more than three letters with my application. In such case, should I call the admissions office and specify which three letters to look for?

Thank you

I understand that the requirements for letters of recommendations are two from a science faculty member and one from a clinical mentor. My school keeps all letters on file and combines it into one pdf file when uploading to AADSAS, so I will have more than three letters with my application. In such case, should I call the admissions office and specify which three letters to look for?
Thank you

Your response does not accurately reflect our letters of evaluation requirements with respect to how we treat composite letters. I hope the embedded link provides guidance to your prehealth advisory staff.

On our supplemental application fee website, we have already noted how many of our applicants apparently fail to read directions before submitting their application fee (we've documented 75% of those who submitted FAILED to follow instructions that were written on the same page), effectively providing a very negative first impression to our admission staff. It would be a shame to any applicant who works so hard to submit an early application to overlook instructions and present a less than professional adherence to detail.

Dr. Chuck if we failed to following instruction, how can we correct it? Should we send an email or make phone call?

so we have to pay again?
If you double-pay, you will NOT get a refund for the extra you pay. There is nothing you can do to correct a bad first impression to my staff (or to your future patients). Just be mindful in the future to actually pay attention to instructions. The next time may come with more serious consequences.

Got an email from here the other day. I've been excited for this school ever since one of their representatives came to my school this past spring!

Got an email from here the other day. I've been excited for this school ever since one of their representatives came to my school this past spring!

About 500 people got this general welcome email to be sure that emails generated from the AADSAS server (which we use to deliver invitations to interview) are not trapped in your spam. If you have not received this email in the last two days, check your spam and make sure future AADSAS-generated emails do not get caught there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, same here, got the email a couple days ago as well. Best of luck waldo13!

Hi Doctor Chuck, I really appreciate the information and help you provide for us anxious applicants. I've been stalking the 2018 thread for a year and I'm so excited to apply to Case this year myself!

I have a question about my application: everything is ready on my AADSAS portal except for my committee letter. I heard that AADSAS will still mail out the application even with the evaluations section incompleted. My school tells me that my letter will be uploaded by no later than 7/18. Would Adcom at Case start to review my application before my committee letter is in or not?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Doctor Chuck, I really appreciate the information and help you provide for us anxious applicants. I've been stalking the 2018 thread for a year and I'm so excited to apply to Case this year myself!

I have a question about my application: everything is ready on my AADSAS portal except for my committee letter. I heard that AADSAS will still mail out the application even with the evaluations section incompleted. My school tells me that my letter will be uploaded by no later than 7/18. Would Adcom at Case start to review my application before my committee letter is in or not?

Hello,

While we do not begin first-level screening of your application until your committee letter arrives, the webchat on June 1 should assure you that we have evaluated and accepted applicants whose committee letters are delivered even after mid-August. I am presuming you were able to attend that free session?

Note to everyone else: the recording from the June 1 webchat is embargoed and will only be made available after an online recruitment presentation to your respective predental association this fall. If you are interested in scheduling a session, please contact Dr. Chuck soon. Usually a date and time can be easily accommodated.

Hello Dr. Chuck!

I've been reading everything you have been doing this past year! I love how you have a huge presence on the internet as well as SDN! And I am excited to be applying to CWRU this cycle!

I do have a question. I was out of town June 1st and could not attend the webchat. Will there be another public session, it is unfortunate that the recording will be embargoed? What are the details for scheduling a session with Dr. Chuck?

The embargo is meant to encourage you to convince your predental clubs to invite us to present. :) The next intended open webchat will involve talking with current students, scheduled for Labor Day Monday, September 1.

The recorded June webchat includes preliminary data about how timing of your application relates to your chances of acceptance and common themes in personal essays we read to help desirable applicants develop strategies to writing personal statements. This information is not available anywhere else online.

Last edited:
Hello,

While we do not begin first-level screening of your application until your committee letter arrives, the webchat on June 1 should assure you that we have evaluated and accepted applicants whose committee letters are delivered even after mid-August. I am presuming you were able to attend that free session?

Note to everyone else: the recording from the June 1 webchat is embargoed and will only be made available after an online recruitment presentation to your respective predental association this fall. If you are interested in scheduling a session, please contact Dr. Chuck soon. Usually a date and time can be easily accommodated.

Thank you Dr. Chuck! Yes I attended the webchat and I figured that the late arrival of my committee letter probably won't hurt my application. I just wish that my app materials can get ready asap because Case starts the screening and reviewing process quite early (which is something I really like about Case).

Dr. Chuck, I will be submitting my app soon. Just want to make sure, what were you referring you in terms of people not following the directions? I'm sorry I'm a bit confused. Thank you so much!

I believe Dr. Chuck was referring to how you submit the supplemental app by putting in your AADSAS ID, 4 digits of last name, 3 digits of first name (or something along those lines). It's definitely in the directions right in front of you, and I realized I did it wrong immediately after submitting. Don't let it get you too!

Xerxes106 is exactly right. So many of you cite how "attention to detail" oriented you are. Well, don't let that detail slip when entering your information for your supplemental fee payment. So far in this cycle, I already have a good idea how many people are truly oriented to detail.

Reactions: 1 users
:( Dr. Chuck sounds so disappointed. I hope I did it right since I got an email confirming the reception of my application and payment.

I wanted to thank all the applicants in the most recent mailings who have helped point out to me a small glitch in an automated verification system I'm using to make sure all DAT scores have been received and noted. Apparently many people who had DAT scores from earlier than May 2014 were told we had not received their DAT scores, when in fact we had. The glitch has been corrected, and everyone who had earlier scores in hand have had their files updated properly.

Reactions: 1 users
Just noting, I am at the biennial national meeting of prehealth advisors (NAAHP). If your prehealth advisors are here, don't pester them by email this week. They are here to be better informed and serve you better. They also promise to get your evaluation letters to us as soon as they can.

Selfie picture (sort of) contest at the NAAHP 2014 Meet the Deans today!

If you are coming, take a "selfie" with Dr. Chuck, post to your Twitter feed with #NAAHP14 hashtag and @CaseDentAdmit.

If you are or are not coming, go to our Twitter media feed and choose your "favorite" pics by 11:59pm Pacific Time on Sunday, June 29.

The top favorites will be considered for a prize sent from our office of admissions!

Don't forget to follow us too!

Often applicants are confused when it comes to self-disclosure of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic background. To this end, I am sharing with you resources if you are not sure.

Answers to the AADSAS race/ethnicity questions should follow guidelines from the US Census Bureau. I will note that anyone from the Middle East should conventionally be categorized as "White/Caucasian" and not "Black/African-American."

Health Professional Shortage/Medically Underserved Areas/Populations in the United States have been identified by the US Department of Health and Human Services. They have a search tool that helps anyone to determine if any queried address is in a health professional shortage area.

Apparently my area is medically underserved in all three areas.....I had no idea. Good resource.

My application was mailed out this past Friday and on Sunday I added Case. I paid the supplemental fee and still have not yet received the general welcome email as talked about in previous posts. Is this a concern?

Application is in the process of being screened! Got the email.Very excited:)!

Excited!! Received an e-mail that my application has been received. Quick question: My letters have been uploaded onto AADSAS but have not been mailed out. They will be mailed out tomorrow... should I inform the school that my letters are already uploaded? That was the only part of the application that they said I was missing.

*Facepalm* I messed up. Live and Learn I guess

Hello Dr. Chuck,

I hope you are well. I wanted to ask if spaces should be included between the last name, first name, and aadsas. I already made my payment, but I hope that not making spaces will not make a negative impact on my application.

Thank you!

Just received an application complete email. I am really excited!!!

Anyone receive an interview invite yet? According to Dr. Chuck's key important dates, invites should be going out this week. Exciting!

Hi,
We haven't sent out invitations yet. We are doing a little more screening and planning before we do. Hope we can get this done next week. But we know you are waiting for the next step to happen. Be patient with us.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey Dr. Chuck, just curious if there is any info available as to which batches are being reviewed for the first set of interviews?

Hey Dr. Chuck, just curious if there is any info available as to which batches are being reviewed for the first set of interviews?

We have sent out emails when we have an application that is ready for screening consideration. It can be any application from the mailings we have so far received as far as I know.

My committee letter was finally uploaded on Friday and I got the "application is being screened" email yesterday. Hopefully it's still not too late to be considered for the first set of interviews!

We're pretty excited... we're close to sending invitations for interview.

I am taking time to note that there remain a significant number of individuals (almost 100) whose files have not moved forward solely because they did not pay our supplemental fee (we have their letters and DAT scores). The distribution of these individuals is fairly even with respect to what mailing number they were assigned.

If you have not received our confirmation email that your file has moved to the screening phase, it is possible your file is still waiting for confirmation of supplemental fee payment. Please email us first if you know you have already paid and provide both your AADSAS ID# and your confirmation number for payment that you received when submitting your application form. Note we do NOT issue refunds for multiple payment.

Reactions: 7 users
Dr. Chuck,

I got the confirmation my app was being screened about three weeks ago, and my last letter of evaluation (my dentist) was sent out in this Friday's batch. Does my last letter not being in until now hold up the screening of my application? Just curious, thanks!

Good luck to those that received the first interview invites at CWRU!

Happy to say that I received an invite! Can't wait to visit the campus!

Status
Not open for further replies.