(2019) - TMDSAS and Cognitive Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElysiumHaven

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had abnormal psychology or cognitive psychology successfully listed as counting towards their science GPA with TMDSAS?

I just wanted to confirm and update with someone, since the threads on SDN that I found were from 2007 and may not be relevant to the current times as of the posting of this thread.

(From what I've gathered so far, it seems that AMCAS would be happy to list abnormal psychology and cognitive psychology under the BCPM GPA--if that helps anyone.)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t speak for other types of psychology, but my intro course was not listed as BCPM.

Reactions: 1 user
TMDSAS now uses the same criteria as AMCAS for classification (see below) . It is unlikely either course you mentioned would be BCPM

https://www.tmdsas.com/Forms/ApplicationHandbookEY2019.pdf
Select course area classification based on the primary content of the course. (Page 25)
It is a bit inaccurate to say that TMDSAS "now uses the same criteria as AMCAS for classification."

For example, TMDSAS does not accept astronomy for its BCPM GPA calculation, but AMCAS does.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it’s worth, my Cognitive Psychology course was classified as “Other Sci”, not BCPM. I didn’t take Abnormal, but I did have a Psychopharmacolgy course that they also classified as “Other Sci”, as well.

Has anyone tried contacting TMDSAS if they would perhaps look into allowing a cognitive (or something similar in this regard) psychology course as counting towards one's BCPM GPA?

Has anyone tried contacting TMDSAS if they would perhaps look into allowing a cognitive (or something similar in this regard) psychology course as counting towards one's BCPM GPA?
I officially appealed the Psychopharm classification to try to get it under BCPM because at my school it was essentially a Neuroscience/Bio course, but TMDSAS kept it as Other Science. So though it can’t hurt to try, I doubt you’re actually going to have any luck with Cognitive & Abnormal.