2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary Prompt:
Describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clincs (500 words or less).

Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions:

1. What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
  2. What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
  3. How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current OMS-1. Will gladly answer questions to best of my ability when I get a chance. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: 4/28/2021

From the ATSU-SOMA Student Government Association

Dear Students,

As you may know, SGA's three primary goals for this year have been to increase transparency, improve communication, and maintain strong advocacy on behalf of the students.

Thus, we would like to share with you recently discussed updates for the upcoming academic year (2021-2022). Please bear in mind that most of these changes pertain specifically to the incoming class (2025) and should not impact any of the current students.

On Friday, April 23, ATSU Admissions hosted a Zoom Meeting with the Class of 2025 in which Dr. Coty and Dr. Heath described upcoming curriculum changes and answered the students' questions. The recording from this meeting was provided by Dr. Coty and Admissions to the student body president and vice president and has been transcribed by [redacted] so that students may be up-to-date. The summary/transcript from the meeting is attached

See attachment: 2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

UPDATE: 4/18/2021

To prospective students and class of 2025:

After speaking to fellow classmates, faculty, and administration - I felt like it was my duty to inform everyone that there are massive changes to come in the following months. SOMA is now slowly transitioning to a full PBL curriculum. This decision is being headed by Dr. Mark Coty (the same mastermind behind LECOM's PBL curriculum). The class of 2024 has been fighting this unpopular transition since the start. It is frustrating that the administration continues to ignore our concerns about the ineffectiveness of our current hybrid PBL/traditional curriculum among other things.

Every week, we are expected to dedicate 4 hours of our limited time towards clinical topics that we've never covered before. The faculty are told to sit in silence and watch us run around like headless chickens. Despite these sessions being centered around CLINICAL topics, half the time we're stuck with basic science professors who know absolutely nothing besides what's written on their handouts. Several faculty have left because of this (although they won't say it explicitly) and there are rumors that ohers are searching for teaching positions elsewhere.

There are also talks of expanding the class size from 160 to 200 soon. There also changes being made to our dedicated study time. It has been completely replaced by "Kaplan boards courses." We're expected to complete this course alongside our didactics right up until our boards exam date. This change was also made by none other than Dr. Coty.

I wanted to inform everyone here because you should have the right to know before paying roughly $60k/year in tuition costs alone.

We're tired of being the guinea pig class of this school and I hope the administration reads this and sees how massively unpopular these changes are.

See: 2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Secondary prompts from the previous (2019-2020) cycle:
  • Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record. (500 word limit)
  • Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why? (500 word limit)
  • Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions: (500 word limit)
    • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
    • What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
    • How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?
  • Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:
2. What are the stats for this school?
  • As of 5/19/20
    • Avg cGPA: 3.52
    • Avg sGPA: not reported
    • Avg MCAT: 504
3. Any cutoffs for this school?
  • As of 5/19/20
    • Min cGPA: 2.8
    • Min sGPA: 2.8
    • Min MCAT: not reported
4. Do you need a DO letter to apply?
  • No, but they prefer that you have one.
5. Where do students typically get placed for residency?
6. COMLEX pass rates
7. What is the interview format?
  • There are 4 different formats you'll encounter during interview day:(this was during the pre-COVID days)
    • "Speed-dating" MMR
    • Traditional 1-on-1 (open file)
    • MMR scenarios
    • Group activities
  • Expect your interview day to start at 7am and last until 2pm.
  • The interview format is now a traditional open-file 1-on-1 (according to other prospective applicants in this thread). It will be conducted over video conference.
8. Tell us about the interview topics.
  • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
  • Everyone signs an NDA on interview day, so I can't tell you. I encourage others to do the same to keep it fair.
9. Any tips for preparing for the interview?
  • It's not mandatory but I highly recommend going to the Dean's Welcome before your interview day. You'll meet the faculty, current OMS-1s, and get a tour of the whole campus.
  • This applies to all interviews:
    • Practice your typical questions (why medicine? etc.) and record yourself
    • Go to interview prep workshops
    • Watch videos on MMR questions
    • Become an expert on the history of osteopathy.
    • Know the school's mission statement by heart.
    • There's no shortage of interview advice on SDN, use it to your advantage. The search tool can be a wonderful thing.
10. Will ATSU hold our luggage while interviewing?
  • Yes, they will offer to hold your luggage in a secure room while you interview.
11. How easy is it to get to campus on interview day?
  • Uber/Lyft is viable, and there are lots of hotels that are less than 15 minutes away.
  • Public transportation is definitely not an option.
  • Walking in the Arizona heat is suicide.
12. How long is the interview cycle?
  • It starts in late August/early September and lasts until April/May.
13. How long does it take to hear back after the interview?
  • About a month.
14. How do you get notified of an acceptance?
  • Typically phone call first, followed by an email.
15. What is the difference between "accepted pending open seat" and "alternative list?"
  • Accepted pending open seat = "wait list"
  • Alternative list = it's your turn after they finish accepting those on the wait list
16. Should I send thank-you letters?
  • It doesn't hurt, unless you write something egregious.
17. Do they take update letters?
  • Yes.
18. What's the grading system?
  • Honors/Pass/Fail
19. Is attendance mandatory?
  • The vast majority of lectures are not mandatory.
  • Anatomy, OPP, med skills, and "small groups" are mandatory.
  • Lectures are recorded.
20. What's the dress code?
  • On-campus: scrubs (carribean blue + ATSU logo) or business casual.
  • Med skills: business casual with white coat.
  • Anatomy lab: scrubs (any color).
21. What do they mean by "1+3 curriculum?"
  • All OMS-1s will complete their first year at the Mesa campus before moving to one of the 15 community health centers (CHCs) across the US.
  • You begin clinical rotations in your 2nd year at your CHC, as opposed to traditional med schools with 2+2 curriculum.
  • You'll stay at your CHC location for the last 3 years.
22. What are the CHC locations?
23. Do I get a choice of which CHC I attend?
  • Yes. You get to rank your preferences after submitting your first $1000 deposit (non-refundable and non-binding) and get placed according to availability.
  • You pay another $1000 deposit (non-refundable and binding) to hold your spot in your selected CHC.
  • Students who are accepted early in the interview cycle get first dibs.
24. How many spots per CHC?
  • 10. The only exception is Brooklyn, NY which has 2 groups for a total of 20.
25. Which CHC locations fill up the fastest?
  • Based off my own experiences:
    • Phoenix, Brooklyn, Tuscon, Flagstaff, San Ysidro, Tulare County, Chicago, Seattle
26. What if I'm not happy with my CHC placement? Can I switch?
  • Yes, you can swap with students as long as it is approved by the adminstration.
27. Why is the cost of attendance (CoA) so high?
  • My theory is that the calculated CoA takes into account the high cost-of-living that comes with certain CHC locations such as Seattle or Brooklyn. A 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn can cost upwards of $1500, versus $600 in Mt. Orab, OH.

More info: School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona | ATSU-SOMA Home

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Secondary prompts from the previous (2019-2020) cycle:
  • Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record. (500 word limit)
  • Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why? (500 word limit)
  • Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions: (500 word limit)
    • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
    • What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
    • How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?
  • Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:
2. What are the stats for this school?
  • As of 5/19/20
    • Avg cGPA: 3.52
    • Avg sGPA: not reported
    • Avg MCAT: 504
3. Any cutoffs for this school?
  • As of 5/19/20
    • Min cGPA: 2.8
    • Min sGPA: 2.8
    • Min MCAT: not reported
4. Do you need a DO letter to apply?
  • No, but they prefer that you have one.
5. Where do students typically get placed for residency?
6. COMLEX pass rates
7. What is the interview format?
  • There are 4 different formats you'll encounter during interview day:
    • "Speed-dating" MMR
    • Traditional 1-on-1 (open file)
    • MMR scenarios
    • Group activities
  • Expect your interview day to start at 7am and last until 2pm.
8. Tell us about the interview topics.
  • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
  • Everyone signs an NDA on interview day, so I can't tell you. I encourage others to do the same to keep it fair.
9. Any tips for preparing for the interview?
  • It's not mandatory but I highly recommend going to the Dean's Welcome before your interview day. You'll meet the faculty, current OMS-1s, and get a tour of the whole campus.
  • This applies to all interviews:
    • Practice your typical questions (why medicine? etc.) and record yourself
    • Go to interview prep workshops
    • Watch videos on MMR questions
    • Become an expert on the history of osteopathy.
    • Know the school's mission statement by heart.
    • There's no shortage of interview advice on SDN, use it to your advantage. The search tool can be a wonderful thing.
10. Will ATSU hold our luggage while interviewing?
  • Yes, they will offer to hold your luggage in a secure room while you interview.
11. How easy is it to get to campus on interview day?
  • Uber/Lyft is viable, and there are lots of hotels that are less than 15 minutes away.
  • Public transportation is definitely not an option.
  • Walking in the Arizona heat is suicide.
12. How long is the interview cycle?
  • It starts in late August/early September and lasts until April/May.
13. How long does it take to hear back after the interview?
  • About a month.
14. How do you get notified of an acceptance?
  • Typically phone call first, followed by an email.
15. What is the difference between "accepted pending open seat" and "alternative list?"
  • Accepted pending open seat = "wait list"
  • Alternative list = it's your turn after they finish accepting those on the wait list
16. Should I send thank-you letters?
  • It doesn't hurt, unless you write something egregious.
17. Do they take update letters?
  • Yes.
18. What's the grading system?
  • Honors/Pass/Fail
19. Is attendance mandatory?
  • No, except for Anatomy, OPP, and Med Skills.
  • Lectures are recorded.
20. What's the dress code?
  • On-campus: scrubs (carribean blue + ATSU logo) or business casual.
  • Med skills: business casual with white coat.
  • Anatomy lab: scrubs (any color).
21. What do they mean by "1+3 curriculum?"
  • All OMS-1s will complete their first year at the Mesa campus before moving to one of the 15 community health centers (CHCs) across the US.
  • You begin clinical rotations in your 2nd year at your CHC.
  • You'll stay at your CHC location for the last 3 years.
22. What are the CHC locations?
23. Do I get a choice of which CHC attend?
  • Yes. You get to rank your preferences after submitting your first $1000 deposit (non-refundable and non-binding) and get placed according to availability.
  • You pay another $1000 deposit (non-refundable and binding) to hold your spot in your selected CHC.
  • Students who are accepted early in the interview cycle get first dibs.
24. How many spots per CHC?
  • 10. The only exception is Brooklyn, NY which has 2 groups for a total of 20.
25. Which CHC locations fill up the fastest?
  • Based off my own experiences:
    • Phoenix, Brooklyn, Tuscon, Flagstaff, San Ysidro, Tulare County, Chicago, Seattle
26. What if I'm not happy with my CHC placement? Can I switch?
  • As far as I know, you can't switch once you are selected for a particular CHC. If you're faced with extenuating circumstances, then talk to the administrative staff to see if they can help you.
  • You can be placed on a wait list for a CHC site. You'll move up the rankings as the application cycle progresses.
  • No, you can't swap with students.
27. Why is the cost of attendance (CoA) so high?
  • My theory is that the calculated CoA takes into account the high cost-of-living that comes with certain CHC locations such as Seattle or Brooklyn. A 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn can cost upwards of $1500, versus $600 in Mt. Orab, OH.

More info: School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona | ATSU-SOMA Home
Hey! What about this campus do you like more than the Kirksville one?

Hey! What about this campus do you like more than the Kirksville one?

I preferred SOMA because I'm able to come back home for my last 3 years, and we get to start our clerkships earlier. In theory, starting earlier will help us excel in rotations/residency. My CHC is also located near major medical/academic centers which I plan to do audition rotations at.

I preferred SOMA because I'm able to come back home for my last 3 years, and we get to start our clerkships earlier. In theory, starting earlier will help us excel in rotations/residency. My CHC is also located near major medical/academic centers which I plan to do audition rotations at.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received earlier today, same prompts as last year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received earlier today, same prompts as last year. Good luck!
I was only verified on the 12th but I am also eagerly awaiting the secondary. I have it pre written I'm just antsy is all. Thanks for letting us know you got yours.

I was only verified on the 12th but I am also eagerly awaiting the secondary. I have it pre written I'm just antsy is all. Thanks for letting us know you got yours.

I am not too sure why I received it so early, but I did submit my primary app within an hour of it opening and it was verified next day. Kind of stinks though because I pre-wrote 8/11 secondaries and ATSU was one of the three I did not pre-write yet :(

I am not too sure why I received it so early, but I did submit my primary app within an hour of it opening and it was verified next day. Kind of stinks though because I pre-wrote 8/11 secondaries and ATSU was one of the three I did not pre-write yet :(
I submitted around 9pm the night of opening and was verified the next week bc of paper transcripts, maybe that's why.

I thought AACOMAS applications were all sent on June 15 to medical schools. Does it matter when you submitted and when you were verified? If we were all verified and completed by June 15 shouldn't we all have received a secondary if we met the min? Anyone know why some received secondaries today and some didn't?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary, for both campuses. I am just wondering, what are the pros and cons for both locations? Just want to know so I make a good decision on which campus to dedicate to.

Does anyone know if it is considered a disadvantage if we DON'T submit our ACT/SAT scores?

I thought AACOMAS applications were all sent on June 15 to medical schools. Does it matter when you submitted and when you were verified? If we were all verified and completed by June 15 shouldn't we all have received a secondary if we met the min? Anyone know why some received secondaries today and some didn't?
I really don’t know it was just a hypothesis. AT Still has a history of taking their time and randomly sending secondaries so everyone’s should come soon. I am wishing everyone the best this cycle!

Secondary received!! Was verified 5-31

Secondary received. Verified 05/27. Lizzy M 62.

@PapaGuava

Describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clincs (500 words or less).

Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.

Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?

Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions:

1. What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
  2. What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
  3. How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Does anyone know how strict they are with their LOR requirements? I have an MD letter from the dr I work with but I haven't really shadowed them. Kind of concerned it won't work for their letter requirement which states it must be from a physician you shadowed for 20+ hours...

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received today around 12PM Pacific time.

For those filling out the secondary. In the essay section where it lists out all the possible types of clinical experiences you may have
i.e. scribe, emt, MA
for total hours would you put the hours up to this current date or would you projected your hours to matriculation?

There's a part of the application that asks us to list 3 community service/clinical experiences we had. This looks very similar to what we had to fill out for AACOMAS primary app. Would it be bad to just copy/paste 3 of our fav experiences from the primary app and just fill them out in this secondary? It seems really odd that they ask for these again when we have already talked about them.

Adding to this question. There seems to be no character/word limit. Is there a consensus on how long it should be?

Adding to this question. There seems to be no character/word limit. Is there a consensus on how long it should be?

There's a post in the KCOM from last year, essentially the student spoke with admissions and they were fine with that. I spoke with my buddy who got admitted to KCOM last cycle and he essentially did that but added in some bits and bobs to spruce it up a little, which is what I did when I submitted both today.

There's a post in the KCOM from last year, essentially the student spoke with admissions and they were fine with that. I spoke with my buddy who got admitted to KCOM last cycle and he essentially did that but added in some bits and bobs to spruce it up a little, which is what I did when I submitted both today.

Awesome, thanks!

Do we include any activity that we have done longer than three months in the "Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record" essay

Incoming first year here, I'd suggest submitting your secondaries by July since they historically send out IIs later that month.

If you have any questions about the school feel free to ask me since I have some downtime and I would be happy to help!

It's a fantastic school (the upperclassmen/faculty have raved about it to my class) and I turned down 4 other interviews after gaining my acceptance here!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how strict they are with their LOR requirements? I have an MD letter from the dr I work with but I haven't really shadowed them. Kind of concerned it won't work for their letter requirement which states it must be from a physician you shadowed for 20+ hours...
I emailed to ask because my letter is from a physician whom I mostly worked for and shadowed ~8 hrs and they said it was fine! I think the idea is that they should just know you well and be able to give their perspective as a doctor.

Secondary received as well! Not sure how to approach the community service list, as the only community service I've done is volunteering at a food bank. As an OOS applicant do you guys think this will hurt my chances for an interview?

Good luck to all!

Secondary received as well! Not sure how to approach the community service list, as the only community service I've done is volunteering at a food bank. As an OOS applicant do you guys think this will hurt my chances for an interview?

Good luck to all!
I don’t think so! I think they have a focus on community healthcare but having other experiences in clinics should help!

I emailed to ask because my letter is from a physician whom I mostly worked for and shadowed ~8 hrs and they said it was fine! I think the idea is that they should just know you well and be able to give their perspective as a doctor.
Awesome, thank you so much for the info!

Verified 6/19/2020 Secondary received 6/21/2020.
Does anyone know if the physician letter can be substituted? They specified that it has to be from a physician you shadow but my physician letter is from the physician I scribe for ?? Thanks!

Verified 6/19/2020 Secondary received 6/21/2020.
Does anyone know if the physician letter can be substituted? They specified that it has to be from a physician you shadow but my physician letter is from the physician I scribe for ?? Thanks!
I think it's fine. My only letter is from a scribe doc, and essentially scribing is glorified shdadowing

I think it's fine. My only letter is from a scribe doc, and essentially scribing is glorified shdadowing

I emailed the office of admission and they said a scribe doc letter would suffice for the physician letter.

Got my secondary, for both campuses. I am just wondering, what are the pros and cons for both locations? Just want to know so I make a good decision on which campus to dedicate to.

On paper, the school's stats are very similar. KCOM is the older, more established campus.

The most noticeable difference between the two campuses is the curriculum. KCOM has a 2+2 curriculum and you'll be there all 4 years. SOMA has a 1+3 curriculum and you'll be there for 1 year--afterwards you'll move to another location (community health center) in the US (typically an underserved area) for the last 3 years. If you're looking for a traditional education, go for KCOM. If you wish to get your education in a particular part of the US, then SOMA is for you.

The biggest con for SOMA I can think of so far is that its curriculum can make it difficult for students to start extracurriculars or get into research (if you care about that stuff). However all 2nd year SOMA students must complete a research project so I guess that makes up for it. There is also a lot of variability between the CHCs, some might be amazing and others might be questionable.

The biggest pro for SOMA is the fact that you start rotations in your 2nd year. You'll have more training compared to other 'traditional' students by the time you reach your 3rd year.

Last edited:
If anyone cares to know, I contacted the Soma campus admission's office today and asked about the physician letter. My physician letter is from an MD who I did clinical research back in 2017-2018 (total was a 1000 hours of research)- basically it was just data analysis, report writing, and chart reviews but had ZERO patient exposure in any way, shape, or form. Nevertheless, admissions said it is completely fine and will meet their physician LOR for this cycle.

From my understanding, SOMA doesn't take ACT/SAT scores so it won't affect your application if you send it or not.
That's correct, I verified with admissions. If you can't access GRE scores b/c they are more than 5 years old (ie ETS doesn't maintain records of GRE scores beyond 5 years) or if you have no way to access your SAT score b/c it, too, is outdated and you don't want to pay the College Board to retrieve it, then you are not obligated nor expected to provide those scores.

For the clinical and community service experiences, are you guys just copying and pasting the activity description from the AACOMAS application or are you doing something else?

For the clinical and community service experiences, are you guys just copying and pasting the activity description from the AACOMAS application or are you doing something else?

I copied/pasted and it worked out fine

^I'd imagine they mean during your undergrad in your case.

for this question: Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.

If I just graduated undergrad in June and am taking my gap year right now, do I have to explain what I'm doing in my gap year? or is it just for my undergrad years?

if you don't have any other gaps I would use the space to talk about your gap year

for this question: Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.

If I just graduated undergrad in June and am taking my gap year right now, do I have to explain what I'm doing in my gap year? or is it just for my undergrad years?

Both

I do not have any experience with community health centers and they have a whole essay on it. Is ATSU-SOMA mostly focused on community health centers, specifically then? I know they mention that on their website, but would having no experience in community health centers make my application dead on arrival?

I do not have any experience with community health centers and they have a whole essay on it. Is ATSU-SOMA mostly focused on community health centers, specifically then? I know they mention that on their website, but would having no experience in community health centers make my application dead on arrival?

I did not have experience in CHCs either. I talked about my community service instead.