2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify. What was the difference between the conditional acceptance vs the actual acceptance? Do you mean that they said they would be able to give you and spot once a seat was available and then notified you a couple days later that they actually had an available seat for you? Thanks for keeping us updated!
yes that’s exactly right!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone! I've been enjoying my time here so far, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck everyone! I've been enjoying my time here so far, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Thank you so much! I don’t know what year you are but just wondering, did you or your classmates find it disruptive to move away 2nd year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a II yesterday afternoon. Earliest interview date available was mid-April. Submitted secondary July / complete around 3rd week of July. OOS with LM 64

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much! I don’t know what year you are but just wondering, did you or your classmates find it disruptive to move away 2nd year?

I haven't moved yet, but I've heard of a mixed response from upperclassmen. Some liked moving away to a new location and others didn't. I know in my class some people aren't looking forward to moving cross country especially since we all just moved last June. It's the nature of the 1+3 model and I think it really depends on your CHC preference! I'm personally excited.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to help!

• Love
Just received the actual acceptance email however like I said before I won’t be taking the seat. Just updating everyone on about how long it takes to be accepted after the conditional acceptance. Good luck to everyone!
If you don't mind sharing what CHC site were you awarded? Just trying to guage which CHC sites will likely become available over the coming weeks and months

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't mind sharing what CHC site were you awarded? Just trying to guage which CHC sites will likely become available over the coming weeks and months
In the email they told me to rank my preferred CHC sites, so I was never awarded a site at that point.

All CHC spots are filled so if you interview, you will be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. Per my wife, they are scheduled to interview till the end of April but if folks start dropping their CHC spots, the can extend the interview season as they did last cycle. There have been a *few* people to give up their seats in recent weeks.
Sorry, what are CHC spots? New here :)

Anybody else interviewing tomorrow?!?! Any last minute advice from anyone on the interview would be appreciated.

Anybody else interviewing tomorrow?!?! Any last minute advice from anyone on the interview would be appreciated.
I'm interviewing here in 2 weeks! Good luck! I heard ATSU's interview is pretty straightforward. At a minimum, have answers to the following:
-why med
-why DO
-why ATSU (prob emphasize how the 1+3 model suits your learning style)
-which CHC's you prefer and why
-memorize ATSU's mission statement
-know history of osteopathic medicine, after all this school is named after the founder of osteopathic med
-be ready to address any application red flags
-let your passion for primary care shine
-re-read your secondaries / primary app (be able to speak about any of your achievements or experiences highlighted in your primary app)
-prepare at least 3 questions you want to ask your interviewers
-be yourself and try to remain as calm as possible
-send a thank you note post-interview

I'm interviewing here in 2 weeks! Good luck! I heard ATSU's interview is pretty straightforward. At a minimum, have answers to the following:
-why med
-why DO
-why ATSU (prob emphasize how the 1+3 model suits your learning style)
-which CHC's you prefer and why
-memorize ATSU's mission statement
-know history of osteopathic medicine, after all this school is named after the founder of osteopathic med
-be ready to address any application red flags
-let your passion for primary care shine
-re-read your secondaries / primary app (be able to speak about any of your achievements or experiences highlighted in your primary app)
-prepare at least 3 questions you want to ask your interviewers
-be yourself and try to remain as calm as possible
-send a thank you note post-interview
Wow thank you so much! This was a lot of detail, so I appreciate it. I feel good about this interview. It is my top choice and have been researching it since the beginning of the cycle so I feel familiar with it thankfully. I just feel a lot of pressure because it’s my top choice haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a blog about my interview day. If you end up interviewing with my wife, Dr. Anderson, be prepared to discuss why SOMA, why DO, and for God’s sake, go deeper than OMT if she asks you why osteopathic medicine and holistic medicine. If you say that, she’ll challenge you by saying “MDs can practice holistic medicine and some even practice OMT, so what else about osteopathic medicine is attractive to you?”

That blog post was helpful. Seems like a relaxed interview. My only worry is that I wasn’t planning to focusing on OMT as my reason why DO and why SOMA. Is that bad?

Also, each Interview session is only 15 minutes? Is one question usually asked for each session or does it depend on how fast you answer, etc.

Is it appropriate to recycle responses since there are 3 different 15 minute mini-interviews? Or are the questions different from one interview to the next?

Unofficial per my wife:

Overall, SOMA had 100 students participate in both the military match and NRMP match (including SOAP) with a current 98% match rate (subject to change). At this time, 65% of SOMA students have matched into primary care specialties which include Family Medicine (31%), Internal Medicine (20%), Pediatrics (10%), and Obstetrics-Gynecology (4%).Other NACHC-identified match specialties of need where SOMA students matched included General Surgery (2%), Emergency Medicine (9%), and Psychiatry (7%). Additional specialties that the Class of 2021 have matched into include Anesthesiology, PM&R, Diagnostic Radiology, Pathology, and Neurodevelopmental Pediatrics
Thank you I really appreciate this!

I received the conditional acceptance phone call last night. Interviewed on 3/12

Reactions: 6 users
Is it appropriate to recycle responses since there are 3 different 15 minute mini-interviews? Or are the questions different from one interview to the next?
I recycled some answers/topics. Just because the conversation steered that way, not necessarily the questions being the same

I received the conditional acceptance phone call last night. Interviewed on 3/12
Were you initially waitlisted before given conditional acceptance? I heard everyone is just interviewing for a WL spot.

To update everyone following (March 10th interview). I just received a phone call today (March 26, 9:30am PST) with a notice that I was placed on the “accepted by waiting for a seat to open list”. The gentleman stated that there is two lists. One which are accepted students waiting for a seat (which I am on) and second list is an alternate(waitlist). Lastly he stated that USUALLY every year the school is able to go through their entire “accepted seat waiting” list and then even pulls from the alternate list. Now it’s just a waiting game. Let me know if anyone has questions, maybe I can answer

• Care
To update everyone following (March 10th interview). I just received a phone call today (March 26, 9:30am PST) with a notice that I was placed on the “accepted by waiting for a seat to open list”. The gentleman stated that there is two lists. One which are accepted students waiting for a seat (which I am on) and second list is an alternate(waitlist). Lastly he stated that USUALLY every year the school is able to go through their entire “accepted seat waiting” list and then even pulls from the alternate list. Now it’s just a waiting game. Let me know if anyone has questions, maybe I can answer
+1 - I'm from the 3/12 interview date

Last edited:
  • Care
Congrats on the conditional acceptance! This is fantastic!

Getting discouraged :( people from my interview date have already been accepted but not meeeeee. But congratulations I am so happy for y’all 💕

Getting discouraged :( people from my interview date have already been accepted but not meeeeee. But congratulations I am so happy for y’all 💕
You guys I think the recipe to manifest an acceptance is to literally complain on SDN because I just got the acceptance after I posted this. Someone else did this exact same thing a few posts ago and I said "it would be crazy if that happened to me" and it did

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You guys I think the recipe to manifest an acceptance is to literally complain on SDN because I just got the acceptance after I posted this. Someone else did this exact same thing a few posts ago and I said "it would be crazy if that happened to me" and it did
That is so wonderful, congratulations! You must be over the moon!

• Love
Looks like a seat opened up! Just got the call. Anyone know if I'm able to see where the CHC is before committing?

edit: jk I called them.

Last edited:
Just got an email from SOMA:

“The Admissions Committee of the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona wishes to
thank you for interviewing and to inform you that you are still being considered for the
class of 2025.

An acceptance may be possible should openings arise; however, seats may not open up
until the interview cycle has concluded in April. It is not uncommon to offer
acceptances up until the week prior to orientation in July.

The interviewing process goes through April and the admissions process through May
2021. If additional academic coursework is completed or new test scores become
available, transcripts and test results should be forwarded to us immediately.”

Is this like a still in consideration email?

Ok 2 hours after the phone call this morning they sent me an email saying I was accepted for class of 2025. Still a bit confused unless they changed their minds in the 2 hour window... but I’m not complaining! Unless that was to indicate me getting a spot once a spot opens?

Last edited:
Ok 2 hours after the phone call this morning they sent me an email saying I was fully accepted. Still a bit confused unless they changed their minds in the 2 hour window... but I’m not complaining!
Would it be clear as day if we were "accepted pending space" vs accepted? I got a call and e-mail saying I've been selected for the class of 2025 but I'm not sure if its pending space or what? Lmao but I was sent an email to rank my CHCs right after

Would it be clear as day if we were "accepted pending space" vs accepted? I got a call and e-mail saying I've been selected for the class of 2025 but I'm not sure if its pending space or what? Lmao but I was sent an email to rank my CHCs right after
Now you have me questioning it too... same boat here. I got three emails. And they are all a bit confusing

• Haha
Also got a call and email saying I was selected pending an open seat, seems like its not a full accept yet bc I wasn't given a link to pay the deposit. Can someone explain the deal with the second deposit please?

Also got a call and email saying I was selected pending an open seat, seems like its not a full accept yet bc I wasn't given a link to pay the deposit. Can someone explain the deal with the second deposit please?
I think we don't get to pay the deposit until we are confirmed to have a seat at our selected CHC

Also, the first $1000 is due when you sign agreement and the second $1000 is due 5/1 I think it was.

For people who interviewed in March and initially received an A pending a seat- have you all been given full acceptance yet or are some still stuck in pending status? Also, I am curious to know if anyone from one of the February interviews are still stuck in a Acceptance pending a seat status?

For those who have been officially accepted (ie no longer pending a seat) over the last month, were you able to get a desirable CHC or at least say one of your top 5 CHC picks?

I really, really want to live in an urban area lol but am not interviewing for 2 more weeks

Just got an email from SOMA:

“The Admissions Committee of the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona wishes to
thank you for interviewing and to inform you that you are still being considered for the
class of 2025.

An acceptance may be possible should openings arise; however, seats may not open up
until the interview cycle has concluded in April. It is not uncommon to offer
acceptances up until the week prior to orientation in July.

The interviewing process goes through April and the admissions process through May
2021. If additional academic coursework is completed or new test scores become
available, transcripts and test results should be forwarded to us immediately.”

Is this like a still in consideration email?
This is a waitlist, I got this email as well. Basically they'll go through the full "accepted pending seat" list before they get to us, which sucks

For people who interviewed in March and initially received an A pending a seat- have you all been given full acceptance yet or are some still stuck in pending status? Also, I am curious to know if anyone from one of the February interviews are still stuck in a Acceptance pending a seat status?

For those who have been officially accepted (ie no longer pending a seat) over the last month, were you able to get a desirable CHC or at least say one of your top 5 CHC picks?

I really, really want to live in an urban area lol but am not interviewing for 2 more weeks
I'm from the 1/20 interview and still waiting for an official seat. I called and was told I was in the top 20 to receive a seat.

I'm from the 1/20 interview and still waiting for an official seat. I called and was told I was in the top 20 to receive a seat.
Oh interesting, so both the conditional acceptance group AND the WL/alternate lists are ranked? Previously I just thought the WL was ranked. It seems odd that you interviewed in January and were offered a seat pending an opening but some who interviewed as late as March reported they already came off the pending status to receive an official admission. Makes me think both groups are ranked but I could be wrong

Last edited:
This is a waitlist, I got this email as well. Basically they'll go through the full "accepted pending seat" list before they get to us, which sucks

Well hey that’s at least something. Glad to finally be able to join the WL club lol. I’m guessing these aren’t ranked

Oh interesting, so both the conditional acceptance group AND the WL/alternate lists are ranked? Previously I just thought the WL was ranked. It seems odd that you interviewed in January and were offered a seat pending an opening but some who interviewed as late as March reported they already came off the pending status to receive an official admission. Makes me think both groups are ranked but I could be wrong
So I interviewed 1/20 and then received my acceptance seat-pending 1/28. I was expecting to have an official seat much sooner, so I called admissions. I was told my score was a 7-point-something and that I was in her top 20 to receive an official seat, however, that list changes every week with new interviewers who may rank higher than me and thus will be accepted before me. I'm anxiously waiting for the day I get my next call from AZ!

So I interviewed 1/20 and then received my acceptance seat-pending 1/28. I was expecting to have an official seat much sooner, so I called admissions. I was told my score was a 7-point-something and that I was in her top 20 to receive an official seat, however, that list changes every week with new interviewers who may rank higher than me and thus will be accepted before me. I'm anxiously waiting for the day I get my next call from AZ!
Thanks for sharing how the process works. I think you're in good shape if you're in her top 20, especially given the fact we are still in March! Good luck!!

+1

Interviewed 2/10, Accepted Pending Seat 2/25, and currently waiting for the final full acceptance call!