2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that did an interview, how did the interview go in terms of structure
well, we are given a specific 30 min slot during which two faculty members will interview you. Mine was question and answer type and kind of stressful. We did not really have much of a conversation. We had a break after our interview for lunch and then we had presentations about the school and its curriculum and an hour to chit chat with current students.

Reactions: 1 users
well, we are given a specific 30 min slot during which two faculty members will interview you. Mine was question and answer type and kind of stressful. We did not really have much of a conversation. We had a break after our interview for lunch and then we had presentations about the school and its curriculum and an hour to chit chat with current students.
I gotta agree... this was my first open-file interview and 2-3 of the questions in particular really felt like an interrogation, lol. It really threw me off guard.
But to be fair, we should have to explain any deficiencies on our apps... just be prepared for them to be very blunt and then explain yourself truthfully.
I was pretty unsure of how the interview went and ended up getting accepted afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say this was not my experience with the interview. It was question-answer but very conversational at times. I’ve done 4 interviews so far and this one was the most chill in my opinion, tied with WVSOM. And ultimately got the A. I would say to future interviewees to go in not worried about the interview, just be prepared with typical med school interview questions you would expect and anything negative about your app that they might bring up. Just be yourself.

I have to say this was not my experience with the interview. It was question-answer but very conversational at times. I’ve done 4 interviews so far and this one was the most chill in my opinion, tied with WVSOM. And ultimately got the A. I would say to future interviewees to go in not worried about the interview, just be prepared with typical med school interview questions you would expect and anything negative about your app that they might bring up. Just be yourself.
I second this. Remember that this is almost like an audition. So you are in a lot more control than you think. I would have general ideas about what you are going to say but it's best if you are just genuine and sincere. You can generally steer the conversation where you want it to go. The questions they give you almost seems like a guide. Mine was very conversational and we ended up talking about restaurants from my home town and BBQ. So just keep that in mind.

that's interesting. I was actually expecting it to be relaxed (based on posts on SDN) so I was surprised by what I faced. but yes, the questions asked were the typical ones - Why ACOM, Why should Acom choose you? tell me about yourself and other questions directly from my application (especially about my grades). The Premed playbook definitely helped me prepare.

And, as mentioned just be yourself and be confident with what you have to say.

Has anyone who was on an Interview Hold received an II? Been on hold for months now.

I got waitlisted :(

Anyone know the chances of getting an acceptance after being WL?
Depends... if your stats are high compared to the school's avg, chances are high you could get off of it.

If they interviewed you, it means they liked your app, so don't give up hope. Lots of movement will occur between March-June due to covid-19.

• Care
Has anyone who was on an Interview Hold received an II? Been on hold for months now.
I have. The portal for me shows interview slots available for the coming weeks so keep up hopes.

I got waitlisted :(

Anyone know the chances of getting an acceptance after being WL?
On my presentation day they said if you get waitlisted than there will likely be movement in May or June. IF you look at their admission numbers from last year, it was like 500 or so people offered acceptances and 200 plus matriculated so there’s a lot of movement.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I’m expecting a lot of movement in the coming months. Even people who have paid deposits could relinquish their seats. The waiting game is the worst part smh

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when will the next round of interviews be sent out? complete 1/8

Hey guys, I just scheduled my interview today for late-Feb but I never received an email for the II, in fact I just happened to check the portal and saw "Current status: interview requested" and then scheduled it for the earliest date. Is this normal or was I supposed to receive a II email? I'm worried they requested a II weeks ago and I'm just now seeing it :/
When did you receive an application complete email?

Hey guys, I just scheduled my interview today for late-Feb but I never received an email for the II, in fact I just happened to check the portal and saw "Current status: interview requested" and then scheduled it for the earliest date. Is this normal or was I supposed to receive a II email? I'm worried they requested a II weeks ago and I'm just now seeing it :/
Yes they send a II email, I don't think there's any way to know when this was requested besides checking your spam folder or maybe calling them? Its useless info now though. I doubt they take response time into consideration for an acceptance. A dean told us on my 1/8 interview that they expected a full class in about 6 weeks. There is also ~80 students that drop their seat which I assume goes to waitlisted folks.

when will the next round of interviews be sent out? complete 1/8
Sorry mate. No one knows this besides the Admissions office. It seems like II’s are given out sporadically.

If it’s requested on your portal than that means that it’s been requested so at least you got an interview invite. Email errors occur. It happened to me with something else. But when I got mine, the earliest that was available was late February but with cancellations I was able to move mine up almost a month and a half. So keep checking the portal.

Yeah it's strange, I searched through my inbox top to bottom and I legit just did not get the II email, but after I registered I did receive the interview registration confirmation so I'm just gonna roll with it. And thanks I'll keep checking the portal in that case!
I had a similar issue with the supplemental. First they denied me a supplemental. I emailed and was basically like “...why? I’m within your averages??” and they were like “oh, guess you are. Have a supplemental.” Then I never received the supplemental, and had to go back and forth with their office for awhile. Finally got it and completed it, but never received a complete confirmation. Had to reach out to confirm they had everything.

Don’t be super stressed on the waitlist. There’s a lot of turnover, especially as the AMCAS deadlines approach.

Don’t be super stressed on the waitlist. There’s a lot of turnover, especially as the AMCAS deadlines approach.
I applied back in early June. I interviewed and have been on the waitlist since mid-November. I really hope this is true...this program is amazing and I'd love to receive my medical education here.

• Care
Anyone know if they are still offering interviews?
They most definitely still are Berry. If you're already complete, feel free to reach out to the school to "verify" things with them while expressing your continued interest in the school.
Since it's later in the cycle, I imagine it won't be as busy as trying to email them in June 2020 when they hadn't sent out a single II.

Withdrew my application/II. I hope it benefits one of you wonderful individuals out there!

• Care
I've been on "Interview WL-Hold" since early Novemeber. Is it unreasonable to expect an II or is there still a chance? Should I reach out to them and if so, what would I say? Don't have anything significant to update them with.

Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Has anyone from the 1/22/21 interview heard anything yet? I thought they said they'd take 7 days for a decision so I've been super nervous about it all day.

• Care
Has anyone from the 1/22/21 interview heard anything yet? I thought they said they'd take 7 days for a decision so I've been super nervous about it all day.
Probably hear back next Friday

I’m in the same boat. I haven’t heard anything.

• Care
Hi everyone. How do you guys think this school compares to wvsom in terms of match rates, boards, etc?

kinda scared because at info session today they said that the class is slowly getting up to 210. Do you think they accept over the 210 at first or just waitlist?

kinda scared because at info session today they said that the class is slowly getting up to 210. Do you think they accept over the 210 at first or just waitlist?
I wouldn't stress, the social media group is only up to like 60 something members. Some of those people prob aren't even accepted students. My point being that if they don't join the social media for the class of 2025, they prob aren't committed to the school yet, so that's WL movement and acceptance slots still open.

I've been on "Interview WL-Hold" since early Novemeber. Is it unreasonable to expect an II or is there still a chance? Should I reach out to them and if so, what would I say? Don't have anything significant to update them with.

Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

I am in the same position. Hard to say what will happen. It’s an odd year for this process. I think each program had a significant uptick in applicants, though the overall number of unique applicants isn’t likely up by the same order of magnitude (though still higher than last year). That means more WL movement in the end and probably more interviews later in the cycle. Hang in there friend.

I am in the same position. Hard to say what will happen. It’s an odd year for this process. I think each program had a significant uptick in applicants, though the overall number of unique applicants isn’t likely up by the same order of magnitude (though still higher than last year). That means more WL movement in the end and probably more interviews later in the cycle. Hang in there friend.
Appreciate the advice

Waitlisted

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
That WL will move quick come April-Jun with COVID interviews allowing people to attend 10+ without paying a dime in travel expenses. Have faith!
It seems like there is an abundance of waitlists going around. They seemed to indicate a lot of movement on my interview day.

This is all still early. Once the AMCAS deadline passes there’s big movement because people have to pick

Is the AMCAS deadline April 30?

Idk I’m fortunate enough to have done my time worrying about any of that; unfortunately I have worse things to worry about, namely the schoolwork that you’re fighting to do lol

Hi everyone, current second year here and future fellow for next year. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to DM me!

Hi everyone, current second year here and future fellow for next year. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to DM me!
What's the deal with the laptop/ipad everyone's talking about? People can't seem to give any specific answer other than we'll get something and have a choice between Windows/iOS. I'm not looking for SKU's, :lol: but can you give any additional detail?

Also, first year tuition is about $54k. We pay a $2k deposit to hold our seat.
When we take out first year loans, can we take out the full $54k and essentially get out deposit money "back", or will the school only let us take out $52k (which is the remaining balance after the credit from the deposit).

Thanks Stella.

Last edited:
What's the deal with the laptop/ipad everyone's talking about? People can't seem to give any specific answer other than we'll get something and have a choice between Windows/iOS. I'm not looking for SKU's, :lol: but can you give any additional detail?

Also, first year tuition is about $54k. We pay a $2k deposit to hold our seat.
When we take out first year loans, can we take out the full $54k and essentially get out deposit money "back", or will the school only let us take out $52k (which is the remaining balance after the credit from the deposit).

Thanks Stella.

It’s a dell latitude or a Mac book air. 10.5” iPad.
The 2k goes towards your tuition.
You get cost of attendance loans per semester. What you do with that money is up to you. ACOM automatically deducts its portion prior to disbursement to your account.
You should get that money back I believe as the disbursement amount is exactly that of the cost of attendance.

• Care